PDA

View Full Version : School vs. Meter Reading

quksilvr06
05-20-2008, 12:52 PM
What do you guys think would be a better option. Going to ELASC where "It covers the basic mechanical and electrical principles associated wit the electrical line working trade. Instruction includes overall safety considerations, power pole climbing skills, knowledge of the basic tools and materials involved with the electrical line crafts, general construction standards, basic rigging principles, and basic electrical theory that is specific to this trade." And hoping to land a job out of that school.
or
Working as a meter reader for Southern California Edision and hopefully getting in as an apprentice. I really dont know which one would be a better option, does anybody have experience with Edison? Or ELASC?

EBLAVK
05-20-2008, 09:07 PM
I work for a utility company in Az, i also have gone threw a line school. I learned most big utility companies dont hire apprentice from the outside. So i decided to take the meter reading job just to get my foot in the door. Its not rocket science but it pays the bills until my dream job opens in August. The company offers weekend workshops to teach you how to climb. Alot of the apprentice they have didnt go to a line school. good luck:)

wtdoor67
05-24-2008, 08:19 PM
You can't really say most utilities don't hire apprentices from off the street. Some do, some don't, there isn't a pattern. The last location I worked there were 3 apprentices and they had all been hired off the street. One had experience with a contractor and the other 2 strictly started from scratch.

Personally I would go for a meter reader position before I would pay to go to a line school for 2 years. I believe those line schools are unnecessary.

This power co. had a pre acessment test that weeded out a lot of would be hands.

quksilvr06
05-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the help, I think I am going to go for the meter reader position and hope for the best. It sounds like that is the best way to get in with Edison.

LINCRW
05-26-2008, 08:32 AM
I don't know about other utilities, but where I am, we hire apprentices off the street. That is entry level for us.

Anything to get in the door is good if your goal is to work for a specific company. If you want to be a lineman, go to the school and learn the skills you will need. You won't come out of the school as a journeyman, but you will have a leg up on most others competing for the apprentice slot.

Automated meter reading is just around the corner for most companies. If you take a meter reader job, don't plan to stay there too long..... Best of Luck To You.

grizzlybuck
05-27-2008, 09:58 AM
It used to be that meter reading was entry level at my company and they would only go to the street if they did not have enough from inside the company to fill a line class. Now the company often posts for C mechanics (D's are entry level and A's journeymen) from outside knowing that only applicants who have gone through one of the schools will qualify.

When I asked about this I was told that schools will sort of alternate between D schools for meter readers and C schools to get people who can already do a little climbing and work secondary voltage.

I also heard reacently that meter readers may be made a permanent job (saying you cannot bid out of it) don't know how this can be contractually, or how attractive it would be knowing you might be stuck in meter reading forever, but the company does not like the turnover rate out of meter reading and always having to train up new people. I wonder if anyone in management thought about raising the wages so everybody didn't want to get out of meter reading as soon as possible :rolleyes:

If you are interested in being a lineman, check with some of the companies you might like to work for and find out what their policies are concerning hiring off the street.

Perk
06-11-2008, 08:23 PM
I broke into my utility as a meter-reader, then got into an apprenticeship < 3 yrs later.

old lineman
06-12-2008, 08:38 PM
Everyone is talking about progression from a meter reader to a lineman apprentice.
I went the other way. I was a journeyman lineman with about 13 years experience when I was bumped out of the line department during the 1973 oil embargo.
I was not a happy camper, but what made me realize how far I had fallen was when they brought in summer students and placed them in front of a TV with a Q&A book.
The next day they were reading meters just about as good as I could.
What a degrading feeling after what I had to go through to be a good lineman.
Bottom line it's a way in the door but don't settle for that job.
Keep looking up and if things don't happen move on.
A life time spent as a meter reader is a waste of a good life.
No sense of accomplishment. Aim high!
The Old Lineman

quksilvr06
10-22-2008, 12:10 AM
well i started school sept 22 since Edison never called me back, and go figure Oct 15 i get a call from Edison asking me if i wanted to take a meter reader job out in the palm springs area (about an hour and a half from where i live). I talk to the teacher at school and he said i would be dumb not to take it. So i start nov 3 with Edison...now i just gotta wait for a groundman spot to open up!

swetngblts
10-22-2008, 05:42 AM
I would agree with your teacher. It seems hard to get in anywhere right now. IIRC with socaledison if you get hired on as a meter reader you will have to stay in that position for one year before getting a groundman or other position. A friend of mine from school got on with them as a meter reader and that's what he told me. Dont be discouraged, go for it.

EBLAVK
10-22-2008, 09:13 PM
I would think right now is to get in the company and move up from their. I know more than a hand full of apprentice and lineman that started out as a meter reader. Everyone and their mom is trying to get into power companys. I have seen it first hand a person with line school training doesnt get the job and the meter reader thats in the company gets his big start.

PA BEN
10-22-2008, 10:56 PM
What do you guys think would be a better option. Going to ELASC where "It covers the basic mechanical and electrical principles associated wit the electrical line working trade. Instruction includes overall safety considerations, power pole climbing skills, knowledge of the basic tools and materials involved with the electrical line crafts, general construction standards, basic rigging principles, and basic electrical theory that is specific to this trade." And hoping to land a job out of that school.
or
Working as a meter reader for Southern California Edision and hopefully getting in as an apprentice. I really dont know which one would be a better option, does anybody have experience with Edison? Or ELASC?
Stay as a meter reader;)

markwho
10-22-2008, 11:00 PM
This holds true especially where the muni's are involved because of civil service laws. We had 4 ground hand openings that were filled by one of our dispatchers and the other three by workers from our generation division. So the jobs never went to the outside.

cliff
10-23-2008, 01:03 AM
Hey qukslvr06 I would strongly suguest trying to get on with the utility and take a night course related to your quest of becoming a Lineman. Go to any and all of the extra correspondence type courses offered with The Company you want to work for so you will be noticed. Love your Job and dont take anything for granted. Good Luck C.

rowdy2133
10-23-2008, 02:46 AM
I would agree with most everyone, but I think it just depends where you are at, and your utility options. Most utilities pay damn good money to meter readers(for no college education), it might be worth it to stick with a company that is putting on apes regularly. But it took me six years to get my apprenticeship with my utility, kept on getting told, next year, next year! If I had went outside immediatley, I would've been a lineman 3 years earlier, but I got to stay with my company, and didnt have so much travel!! Weigh you options, and make the best decision for yourself!

Big D
11-02-2008, 05:59 PM
I say go for the meter reader spot. I'm right there with ya. I have 2 interviews this week for meter reader spots too. The company will flip the nickle for the training once you get an app open up. If nothing happens and you don't get in in say 6 mo. or so then you might go the school route. I'm going for the mr spot but I'm making preps now to go to SELCAT after the first of the year if nothing happens. In the mean time, learn your knots and try a little climbing with someone to see how you like it. You might not be able to handle the heights. Nothing wrong that, some guys don't know they have a prob till they try it. If you can get your CDL A permit. That'll help too. at least you'll be familiar with the knowledge.

Daddyof2
11-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Take the meter reading job or get into a union apprenticeship. Even if you go to school you are going to start at the bottem. At least as a meter reader your foot is in the door. You will have a heads up on any ap jobs that are coming up and they wil already know you. Not to mention you will be building seniority and making money too.

old lineman
11-03-2008, 09:03 PM
There must be someone out there that had a similar experience as I did.
I was a journeyman lineman and damn proud of it.
In 73 the oil embargo hit and I chose to bump a meter reader (the alternative was the bread line).
Meter reading left me cold. No challenge.
What really killed me was that the company hired students to replace vacationing meter readers for the summer months.
They sat them down and asked them to watch an instructional video, write a little test and away they went about 4 hours later.
They were qualified to do my job. What an insult.
I hated every minute of meter reading but it did provide a wage I must admit.
The Old Lineman

PA BEN
11-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Working as a meter reader for Southern California Edision and hopefully getting in as an apprentice.
You took the job for money until something opened.: A pay check with Bennie's is important these days. Why not stay and bid for an apprenticeship when one comes along.