PDA

View Full Version : Southwestern Line Constructors

cody
05-24-2008, 11:10 AM
So i applied through the local union hall out of Tulsa, OK (IBEW Local 1002) to become an apprentice and they referred me to Southwestern Line Constructors out of Lawrence, Kansas saying they're the outfit that handles all the training for new lineman. Now, I did go back to the hall for an interview that I scored an 88 on and I'm wondering what to expect next. I tried calling the hall and they just referred me back to the JATC program and due to the hours I currently work I haven't had any luck making a connection with the women in the office up there that handles that businiess. Anyone know if I should be expecting a call or another letter in the mail or what? Or if anyone knows anything about the work outlook goin on in this area right now?...I'm Totally in the dark right now so any info i could get about the companies I could be working for; North Houston Pole Line is the only one i know for sure, or anything about anything concerning what to expect next I'd really appreciate.

Thanks,

Cody

jonnydude66
06-03-2008, 12:51 PM
They should have sent you a letter after your interview. I scored an 86 at the same place last month. That's really not as high of a score as you want to get selected right away for either of us. I'm interviewing with Misouri Valley in July and hoping for a better score. It helps to get some Groundsman work in. You might check with your local and see if you can get on the books there. You can re-apply with 1,000 hours of Ground work in 1 year instead of two. They say you don't need experience but there are so many groundsman seeking Apprenticeship in Kansas and Missouri you almost have to work as a groundsman for about 6 months or more to get right in. You will need a Class A CDL to get Grounds work for most contractors. I just got mine yesterday and as luck would have it local 304 called me this morning with a job. I start tomorrow. $20 an hour 6 10 hour shifts $30 per day per diem. I hope this helps. Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

jonnydude66