PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody experienced give me some good advice about climbing?

scrapster1
05-25-2008, 11:54 AM
I got up today at 6:00 in the morning and was climbing the pole in my backyard. I just had my interview with JATC and Im pretty sure they accepted me into the program. The first time I climbed I was gripping the shit out of the pole and I was a nervous wreck, but now its got alot better. Im starting to trust my gear alot more. I just dont trust the poles..ha ha. I practice about once a week. Is there anything I should keep in mind to make me a more confident climber? Or should I practice more often? All I know Is I want to be the best climber I can be. The the last thing I want to worry about If god lets me make it threw the apprenticeship. One thing for sure I know the first and only time I climbed a 60 footer I was shaking in my boots, but when I got to the top and looked around Its was one of the best feelings I ever had. It was awesome. I want to be a lineman, I want to do something with my life, I want to be somebody.

Orgnizdlbr
05-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Practice, practice, practice.........

Pootnaigle
05-25-2008, 02:54 PM
Make sureyou aint usin yer arms to pull yerself up with. This will make em sore as hell and not help you a bit.Learn to use the legs for climbing as well as lifting Also develop a a sort of rhythm with the arms and legs. EXample
left arm and left foot move together, right arm and right foot move simutaenously also. aim your gaffs at the center of the pole and keep your ass way far away from the pole with your knees locked when they are supporting you.Unlock em only when making another step and lock em back soon as yer done. But trust me sooner or later yer gonna cut out, Its part of the deal! If that horrifies ya then Theres prolly an openin sumwheres else doin sumpin requiring less cajonies.

RadonHuffer
05-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Dont listen to me I climbed my first dozen or so poles with tree gaffs.

I didnt know there was a difference till one of the guys on the crew pointed out how big my gaffs where.

The right equipment does make it a bit easier.:D

swetngblts
05-25-2008, 06:54 PM
I got up today at 6:00 in the morning and was climbing the pole in my backyard. I just had my interview with JATC and Im pretty sure they accepted me into the program. The first time I climbed I was gripping the shit out of the pole and I was a nervous wreck, but now its got alot better. Im starting to trust my gear alot more. I just dont trust the poles..ha ha. I practice about once a week. Is there anything I should keep in mind to make me a more confident climber? Or should I practice more often? All I know Is I want to be the best climber I can be. The the last thing I want to worry about If god lets me make it threw the apprenticeship. One thing for sure I know the first and only time I climbed a 60 footer I was shaking in my boots, but when I got to the top and looked around Its was one of the best feelings I ever had. It was awesome. I want to be a lineman, I want to do something with my life, I want to be somebody.

Didn't you already get accepted into and start climbing class with the Cal/Nev JATC several months ago? Or is this a different JATC you interviewed with?

johnbellamy
05-26-2008, 09:13 PM
1. Get a good set of boots, with a good arch, I recommend Hoffman.

2. Make sure you pole gaffs are new, or sharpened properly.

3. Free climbing, at the bottom of the pole, stand on the pole, pull yourself into the pole, you will see how safe you are.

4. Take 3 steps up, 3 steps down, repeat until you get a feel and rythem, than add more steps, don't put your butt out to far, you will fight your wieght, and if you cut out, you will fall on your ass.

5. Keep your head up when going up, it puts your body in the correct position. You can look down when desending.

6. Practice low no higher than 10' until comfortable.

7. Piggy backin: at the bottom of the pole, belt around pole, make a fist and put your arm between your gut and the pole, that is a proper starting position.

8. Keep your skid above center, take 3 steps up, 3 steps down, get your rythem, than add more steps, 1 2 slap, 1 2 slap, never let your skid get below center, or you will fight it, Never let your skid be to long or you will fight your weight.

9. At the bottom of the pole, practice letting your skid out as far as your can, reach out as far as you can, put a screw driver in the ground, then try to beat your last mark.

10. Learn how to turn around in your belt, learn how to move around the pole, all at ground level.

11. Get 5 gallon buckets full, practice reaching out and lifting them off the ground, and then switching them from left to right.

12. As you learn to trust your gear, but more so your self, then start goin higher on the pole.

13. When climbing tall structures, relax, if you are tight, you will wear yourself out.

14. One of the most difficult thing you will do is climb a transmission pole that is bare, nothing to stabilize the pole, the smoother you are, the more confortable you will feel.

15. Focus on your work, not the height, not the weather, not the pain, not the what if's, You cannot change any of those things, the work has to get done, Lineman got to do it, no one else can.

16. Good luck, You can be as good as you want, don't forget that.

grizzlybuck
05-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Great post John, the only thing I might add is to envision that you are aiming for the heart of the pole when you step-sink your gaffs. If your gaffs are aimed at the heart of the pole, it does not matter how deep they are in, they want to go deeper (if sharpened correctly) not come out.

What I've told my apprentices is that climbing a pole is not a natural activity, if it was, we would have been born with points on our feet. Practice though and you will come to realize that climbing is just a form of transportation to and from our work, no different than the truck we drive to and from job sites.

You will eventually get to the point, that you are thinking about what you will be doing up the pole and not about getting up the pole.

Climbing at 60-70' is no different than 10-15', though I do tend to take shorter steps :p

milkman
05-28-2008, 01:13 AM
Hey scrapster where did you climb that 60 footer? Is your name Isaac or Joe?

snoman
07-01-2008, 10:00 PM
Do not look at your feet, get comfortable with the structure and look up!!

climbsomemore
07-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Glad to see the initiative. Cool it until you get to climbing school or hook up with a good climber who understands how to teach.

You may be sticking to the pole .... but chances are you are picking up some bad habits.

when you get to school your trainers will spend a lot of YOUR time and energy breaking those habits and teaching you the safe way to do this.

I bet you can throw a base ball... and I bet a week at a good baseball camp could make you throw better... by teaching you good mechanics.
Climbing is a learned skill... a little talent and good coaching go a long way.

~j

freshjive
07-03-2008, 05:16 PM
EVERYTIME YOUR GONNA CLIMB, TEST THE POLE to SEE IF ITS STRUCTURALLY SAFE TO CLIMB......hit it with hammer around the birthmark/bottom, and prod the base of the pole with a screwdriver, but like the other guys said practice makes perfect...Everybody has their own style of climbing..Whatever works for you, is comfortable, and safe......There is no real right or wrong way to climb as long as you can ascend and descend the pole safely........

darrell kuhn
07-05-2008, 12:57 PM
well kid any monkey can climb-trust your tools and saftey strap,watch other hands,how they climb,move ect and try to emulate such moves.There dos`ent seem to be enough time to teach young lineman anymore but ask questions.When you start in this great i.b.e.w remember that we work for not only our selfs but for the better of the i.b.e.w Anyone who advises without tooling up and showing is not really to comfertable either