PDA

View Full Version : Knots, Splices and Fids.

RadonHuffer
05-31-2008, 05:16 PM
I see some of these new guys that cannot tie a bowline? They seem to think that a couple half hitches is just as good.

I always thought knot tieing was part of the trade? Bowlines, Half hitches, Clove hitches, Grape vines, Rolling hitches, Timber hitches and many more are a part of my knot tieing skills.

Splicing and fids are more of a hobbie but I can splice any kind of rope and and put an eye splice on a rope that last a lifetime.

What are others ideas about Knots and splices and there relationship to line work?

CHICAGO HAND.
05-31-2008, 05:52 PM
These new guys coming out of our schools cant even tie their shoes.

Buzz Lightyear
05-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Had A salty old Lineman as an instructor when I was in Pole school that stressed adequate Knot Knowledge and knowing how to Splice Rope!
i was fortunate in being a Boy scout and learning my Knots and then Later again going over those same skills while in the service!
that Knowledge has been highly valuable to me as a lineman!

as for a Bowline versus a half hitch, 3 half hitches will hold anything:D:p
but a Slipknot with 13 loops around a Snitch's Neck works well too!!;)

MEGA81
05-31-2008, 06:03 PM
But I went to a lineschool before I started my union apprenticeship. We were taught how to eye splice, back splice, short splice. As well as how to tie a bowline, running bowline, bowline on a bite, clove hitch, timber hitch, square knot. It is a big part of linework. I have all ready figured out that much. I still have to think about how to tie some of them whenever I tie them from a weird angle, or around something. But I get it in the end.

Stinger
06-01-2008, 09:11 AM
I can tolerate 1st & 2d steps having problems with the basic knots till the get the practice they need. 3rd step and above piss me off when they do not how to tie the basic knots. The one knot they all know is the headache or knife knot- that is it is coming to the ground by handline or express when the knot lets go or it takes a knife to cut the knot free. Sometimes to make a point when we have an apprentice in his hooks who ties the typical knife knot, we will send up items tied to the hand line and have a fun time watching him in gloves and sleeves trying to untie the glob of rope. It helps make him appriciate the importance of proper knot tying and what purpose they are used for.

PA BEN
06-01-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm sure most of you have seen and used this one.:rolleyes: It's a good knot to show a newbe;)

Orgnizdlbr
06-01-2008, 04:55 PM
I'm sure most of you have seen and used this one.:rolleyes: It's a good knot to show a newbe;)

Damn it Ben, ya beat me to it....... How about the "what knot" or the "knife Knot";)

adamr_41
06-01-2008, 07:11 PM
how bout the Beut knot....lol

Edge
06-01-2008, 07:41 PM
I put this link in the ape forum awhile back... its a great site with lots of rigging knots....
I remember one of my first posts on this site many years ago... was about a tower rescue procedure or some $4!T like that... and me and a few other highliners recommended "Ropes that Rescue" well knots and riggin is a passion of mine in this trade... a lost art really... and if your buddy is in a 4ucksqueeze strapped into the top of a 40 footer or double latched into the top of a 200footer... are you gonna be able to get him down or watch him die...

http://www.animatedknots.com/

I'd prefer to know more than 3 half hitches will hold anything....

ohhh and buy the way ... they wont...

for what it's worth ,,,

Edge

Waiting for the world to burn down... gotta love being on call

loodvig
06-02-2008, 08:06 AM
http://www.animatedknots.com/
Now that's a cool site! I now can tie a neck tie! Guess I need to get one first though!

MEGA81
06-02-2008, 06:39 PM
What about the "Dragg'in Bowline"?:D

"Tie me a Dragg'in Bowline, and make it quick."

What the hell is a draggin bowline?? Go easy on me bud, im a pretty dark shade of green!

Special ED
06-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Forget the draggin' bowline. I rather use my trusty bute knot.

Special ED
06-03-2008, 12:11 AM
Swamp you don't know a bute knot?

IronLine
06-03-2008, 10:23 AM
A beut knot is....well its a beautiful piece of work ;) My journeyman got me on it first day. Grab a piece of rope about 3 foot across, put two overhand loops in in it and hold them, tell your ape or buddy to grab the rope in the middle between the two loops and pull, tell him to keep on pullin, drop the knot down between your legs...now ain't that a beut? :D

wudwlkr
06-06-2008, 06:48 AM
A beut knot is....well its a beautiful piece of work ;) My journeyman got me on it first day. Grab a piece of rope about 3 foot across, put two overhand loops in in it and hold them, tell your ape or buddy to grab the rope in the middle between the two loops and pull, tell him to keep on pullin, drop the knot down between your legs...now ain't that a beut? :D

Also known in some parts as a French Bowline.

neil macgregor
06-07-2008, 04:52 AM
i think knots are very important nothing worse than being up a pole and pulling up some gear and getting it about 2 meters away then woosh down it goes
i was lucky enough to do a 4 year apprenticeship as a rigger and sailmaker before i sarted on the lines i,ve lost count of how many hours i,ve spent teaching young hands how to tie knots defo think they should spend more time in the training school teaching them more knots coz the favorite knot with young hands seems to be the good old granny knot (half hitch) knowing what knot to use and what knot not to use for each situation can save you a lot of time (phew managed to type that without tieing my fingers up)

mainline
06-07-2008, 09:47 AM
It's nice to see that the beaut knot is national.