PDA

View Full Version : Climbing tilted poles for

RadonHuffer
06-09-2008, 09:28 PM
Wreck out/Retirement.

We are replacing an old line with new, Transmission and distribution the old line was tilted for clearance 45 foot poles where replaced with 80 to 100 foot poles.

I am climbing the tilted old poles to get the cable sling up high enough for the digger to pull the poles with the cross arms and insulators on them yet.

My old outfit use to wreck out the old poles with a bucket before we pulled the poles and they balanced much better, Conditions are much different here and the digger has a hard time reaching the poles, We also have clearance problems with the distribution phase.

Is this the way you would do things?

I didnt have a problem climbing a pole tilted 45 to 60 degrees until today when we had one laying on the road first thing in the morning.

Is this common practice?

I really dont want to ride a 45 footer to the ground.

Thanks.

Special ED
06-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Poles raked on a 45 to 60 degree angle? Hell you wouldnt need your hooks to get up it but I sure wouldn't sugest climbing them unless they were caught off in the dogs of a digger truck and even then some outfits might have a fit about it.

If your having to climb the poles just to rig the winch on the digger high enough use a nylon becky and use an extendo or straight stick to push it up the pole as your operator comes up on the winch. Once desired height is reached stop helpin it up and it will cinch down.

Special ED
06-09-2008, 10:19 PM
Why were they tilted for clearance? Last time I was up there in Michigan workin for Consumers they built all their powerlines over things. It was the craziest thing Id seen. 70 and 80 foot poles for distribution on the road just so the powerlines could be above and in the clear of the trees below. lol

staggerlee
06-10-2008, 09:04 AM
I cannot believe that any employer would ask a Lineman to climb old poles raked at 45 plus degrees. I remember back in the 70's being asked to climb a pole like that and cut the old conductor clear. I remarked that the only thing holding the pole up was the conductor. The Super said not to belt in and just step off when it hits the ground! I told him to get me a bucket truck or wait for it to rot! I got the Bucket truck and did the job.

No one should be climbing these poles! If the employer does not have the right equipment you should refuse the work!! Not sure what the rules are at your location but un-employment still beats insurance or death benefits!!

Be Safe!!

RadonHuffer
06-10-2008, 10:22 PM
Why were they tilted for clearance? Last time I was up there in Michigan workin for Consumers they built all their powerlines over things. It was the craziest thing Id seen. 70 and 80 foot poles for distribution on the road just so the powerlines could be above and in the clear of the trees below. lol

I live in Michigan and work in Iowa, We have a safety director that has an ego problem he is also a supervisor. Our 1/2 hour safety meeting that we log on our time sheets are a joke.

Lets just say that I am looking for work someplace else, Hopefully closer to home.

I have been doing this 12 years and never seen any thing like this?:eek:

I did all the paperwork for an outfit that said they wanted me in Ohio, Indiana and kentucky.

They then told me to pack my bags and head to Wyoming?:mad:

I declined.

I did climb all 37 poles in the last 2 days, Sorry we dont have a union and I have a Wife, Children and a mortgage to cover back in Saginaw. Dont look like I am going to unload this house soon.:(

Beats hunting a wolly mamoth to put food on the table.

CPOPE
06-11-2008, 05:19 AM
If the safety meeting were really a joke and you were forced to climb these poles raked at 45 degrees your lucky you didn't ride one to the ground I'm assuming. OSHA as part of the pre job breig and job documentation requires a risk hazzard assesment. Ask your employeer for a RHA. He's required to have one by osha and if he wont provide one to you ask through the investigation.

I came off the trucks back in 88 after getting my BSEE. Would never ask a man to do somthing I wouldn't do myself. If someone is as concerned as you sound about climing these poles some added safeguard needs to be put in place.

https://www.consumersenergy.com/oliver/pls/odad/maine.d?s=4F5FAB48BCFB0CDBE0440016353C2D41DZNDGQCM YXNJBYUYNBMZWORFXAPY
Company: Consumers Energy
Functional Area: Oper Maint & Constr Jobs
Learn more about Oper Maint & Constr Jobs @ CMS

Department: Energy Operations
Position Type: OM&C
Position Status: Full Time
Job Summary:
Under directive supervision, performs the following duties:
operates all types of earth boring and digging machines, back filling equipment and equipment associated with setting utility poles and anchors, except in energized primary lines; sets single phase electric and residential gas meters; completes terminations at the socket; contructs/installs, pressure tests, stakes and locates services; fuses plastic pipe.

Qualifications: a valid driver's license and commercial driver's license (CDL) with applicable endorsements; must obtain and maintain gas operator qualifications as required by their job duties; must have at least 6 months of related underground construction experience; must be able to advance through training as required by their job duties.

Department Specific Criteria:
Filling three vacancies: two in Hastings and one in Lansing.

Additional Consideration:
N/A

Skills Required: Dependable, Safety Conscious
Skills Preferred: Communication , Customer Service
Degrees (Required ): GED, High School Diploma
Degrees (Preferred):

wtdoor67
06-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Yes it's simple to push the choker up the pole with an extendo stick until you get to the desired height. A steel choker will work fine. If it closes up on you to soon then tape it to a wide open position. When at the desired height then hold it with the extendo while the operator tightens the line. The tape will break eventually. Nobody climbs a 45 degree leaning pole unless it's an emergency.

Edge
06-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Hey man,
maybe it's just me or maybe it's cuz I cut my teeth climbing some of the most fugged up shite ever designed... but at one point in my career I had no problems sticking my bashlins into any thing push poles... spars...back braces and knees on "K" structures I did'nt give a flying fug.... but that was hell on the Highline usually maintenance or new construction...

but Wrecking stuff? bud thats just foolish... and a damned good way to get hurt or worse....

my 2 cents? if it's short sticks and small conductor cut the fugging thing down with a chain saw wire and all pull the butts and clean up the right of way.... hell then ya don't even need a bucket 'cept to cut the wire loose from where ever it takes off...

Be careful man

Edge

Look at where your climbing to and remember where you've been

edit...

another thing to do if your using a nylon sling... put a shackle in the eye of the bite and tie a drop line into the shackle... then you can "snap" the drop line or tag line to open the sling or yank the $hit outa it to tighten it up... works wonders if you ain't got access to a long stick or extendo

RadonHuffer
06-11-2008, 10:12 PM
If the safety meeting were really a joke and you were forced to climb these poles raked at 45 degrees your lucky you didn't ride one to the ground I'm assuming. OSHA as part of the pre job breig and job documentation requires a risk hazzard assesment. Ask your employeer for a RHA. He's required to have one by osha and if he wont provide one to you ask through the investigation.

I came off the trucks back in 88 after getting my BSEE. Would never ask a man to do somthing I wouldn't do myself. If someone is as concerned as you sound about climing these poles some added safeguard needs to be put in place.

https://www.consumersenergy.com/oliver/pls/odad/maine.d?s=4F5FAB48BCFB0CDBE0440016353C2D41DZNDGQCM YXNJBYUYNBMZWORFXAPY
Company: Consumers Energy
Functional Area: Oper Maint & Constr Jobs
Learn more about Oper Maint & Constr Jobs @ CMS

Department: Energy Operations
Position Type: OM&C
Position Status: Full Time
Job Summary:
Under directive supervision, performs the following duties:
operates all types of earth boring and digging machines, back filling equipment and equipment associated with setting utility poles and anchors, except in energized primary lines; sets single phase electric and residential gas meters; completes terminations at the socket; contructs/installs, pressure tests, stakes and locates services; fuses plastic pipe.

Qualifications: a valid driver's license and commercial driver's license (CDL) with applicable endorsements; must obtain and maintain gas operator qualifications as required by their job duties; must have at least 6 months of related underground construction experience; must be able to advance through training as required by their job duties.

Department Specific Criteria:
Filling three vacancies: two in Hastings and one in Lansing.

Additional Consideration:
N/A

Skills Required: Dependable, Safety Conscious
Skills Preferred: Communication , Customer Service
Degrees (Required ): GED, High School Diploma
Degrees (Preferred):

CPOPE I tryed the link and it said the username and pass word where timed out.

If you could contact me off list with some contact info for this job I would really appreciate it, webmaster@albert-cordova.com

I have done lots of terms and elbows and have a valid CDL-B withe airbrake, Also a perfect driving record.

I passed FEMAs FBI background check.

TIA

NMSA122-G
06-16-2008, 11:51 PM
I saw two guys HIT THE GROUND wrecking out old stuff ,,, there is no ride to the ground.. It's more of a slam the ever loving crap out of you and crush your bones, and your lucky I if you wake up.....
Be smart with this,,, there have been a ton of people killed climbing old shit.. When you see your buddies hit the ground you'll have a lot more respect for the force involved with hitting the ground while you're still attached to a pole........ Trust me,,, there's no time to do anything...

22900013A
06-24-2008, 02:11 PM
Crikey, sometimes is bad enough climbing old HV poles that are plum, nevermind leaning. I have had more then one or two swaying about once the tension of the conductor is released. I certainly wouldn't wish to climb anything leaning at 45 degrees!!!

rat1369
06-25-2008, 10:48 AM
if your digger has good claws pull the poles top heavy lower the boom with the claws rolled all the way forward till almost parallel to the ground and open the claws it don't come down very hard at all

neil macgregor
07-19-2008, 06:09 AM
do not climb these pole your boss is a clown if he asks you to climb them
your life is worth more than a job