PDA

View Full Version : Burn Accident.

wtdoor67
06-13-2008, 08:56 AM
Learned of a burn accident that happened this week in Western Ok. with PSO.

Forgive me but even considering hindsight it was a dumb accident.

A 3 man crew was replacing a 3 phase tangent pole. This pole had a 3 phase tap on it. The voltage was 4 KV. The best I can gather the 3 phase tap was undinged and thrown on the ground. After replacing the bad pole the set of doubles was placed under the tangent arm. The cutouts for the takeoff were mounted on the doubles with the cutout brackets in the low position. The tops of the cutouts were then heated up. Dumb. The foreman was in the bucket and attempting to put the wire and bells back in their original position. Having some difficulty he grasped the wire under his arm pit and managed to get his shoulder into the top of the energized cutout. Since the tap load was still closed he of course picked up load when this ocurred. This put him into the burn center. The apprentice, who was originally on the pole had become alarmed and gotten down. The other lineman on the ground used the lower controls to bring the injured man down. This man actually had on rubbers and sleeves. You can't fix stupid I guess. Ironically they think that the fact he had a pace maker might have saved his life. Too many mistakes to list on this one.

madcowboy33
06-13-2008, 08:01 PM
The story is that the apprentice came down before the foreman started working on the hot stuff and was working on the guys. I heard this guy has been a lineman for 10 yrs, he was the senior man when a foreman position opened up, he hadnt been foreman very long, anyways supposedly his peers tried to stop him from getting a foreman job because he wasnt ready. The lucky part of it is that it locked out the sub after one shot, very lucky considering it is 4 kv! Yes this accident was very stupid!!!!!!

wtdoor67
06-13-2008, 08:56 PM
I was told when he heated up the tops of the cutouts the apprentice went down because he thought he would be in the primary zone at that time.

Special ED
06-13-2008, 11:42 PM
Damn lucky that sub locked out. That 4Kv loves to fire up and not go out.

Any word on his conditon?

Lnhnd13
06-13-2008, 11:55 PM
2nd and 3rd degree burns on 2% of his body. Last I heard he is doing well and shoud be out of ICU by now.

They said they could hear his pacemaker clicking over and over. I guess restarting his heart. I've never been a fan of luck, hence the screen-name, but this cat is damn lucky.

BigClive
06-14-2008, 12:02 PM
They said they could hear his pacemaker clicking over and over. I guess restarting his heart.

You can actually hear pacemakers????

If the pacemaker wasn't suffering an allergic reaction to 4KV and was actually rebooting his heart then it's another gold star for defibrillators in line work. (A pacemaker is effectively an internal defibrillator.)

Lnhnd13
06-14-2008, 12:58 PM
You can actually hear pacemakers????

If the pacemaker wasn't suffering an allergic reaction to 4KV and was actually rebooting his heart then it's another gold star for defibrillators in line work. (A pacemaker is effectively an internal defibrillator.)

AEP has been looking into buying them for a few months now. Maybe this will help speed them along. (portable defibs, not pacemakers):)

It was either a pacemaker or some sort a valve he had in place, not to sure.