PDA

View Full Version : dielectric overshoes

linemangoose
07-02-2008, 06:58 PM
I was wondering if anybody else's utility requires them to climb in dielectric overshoes? I think its pretty stupid considering the metal shank is jumping them out from the pole to your calf? I also believe it gives the climber a false sense of security because now they aren't worried about foot placement in regards to grounds. I see their importance when it comes to step potential when on the ground, but not on a pole. Does anyone else have any thoughts?

MEGA81
07-02-2008, 08:02 PM
A friend told me that Pike hands climb in overshoes. Seemed strange to me too

old lineman
07-02-2008, 08:13 PM
Those die electric booties even give people a false sense of security while on the ground. Tall grass, mud, a nail, a crack or just worn partially through renders them useless.
This was an idea concocted by someone who has made a million dollars and now has the backing of the Feds. Don't you wish that you had be smart enough to have thought of it first. Then you could have been the one laughing all the way to the bank.
Of course they are useless on a pole, but that's what they call overkill. Some bright SOB who never donned a pair of climbers figured if they look good on the ground, looking at the soles would be the ultimate.
Doesn't anybody stop and think anymore or do they just lay awake at night dreaming up stupid ideas.
No wonder the old linemen and most of the newbies laugh at all of these so called 'safe guards' that are coming down the pike.
The Old Lineman

thrasher
07-03-2008, 11:35 AM
I don't like dielectric overshoes even on the ground. My gloves get tested every 60 days, my sleeves, hoses, blankets and hoods are tested every 120 days. Have you EVER seen a test date on dielectric shoes? If they aren't tested then they aren't jack***t. IMO

Edge
07-03-2008, 05:33 PM
I don't like dielectric overshoes even on the ground. My gloves get tested every 60 days, my sleeves, hoses, blankets and hoods are tested every 120 days. Have you EVER seen a test date on dielectric shoes? If they aren't tested then they aren't jack***t. IMO

well said brother... and even if they are tested like my gloves and sleeves are I'm still not allowed at my company to glove from the stick so WTF?

Edge

3 phase burning down? theres not a damned thing a chain saw can't fix

Viperexaf
07-16-2008, 10:15 PM
the utility i'm at we haven't been required to climb with them yet, however we have been required to use them while settin poles..bunch of us at work have started callin them bozo shoes.

CPOPE
07-18-2008, 07:58 AM
They serve no pourporse to use while climbing. The steel of the hooks shorts out the rubber of the dielectric rubber. Protect step potentential hazzard when thumping cable, approaching to test downed conductor, pole setting. Working HV from the ground they are part of an insulate isolate programe depends on the risk assesment of what your task is,

Step Potential

A step potential hazard is defined as the voltage across a ground support worker who steps across or otherwise bridges an ener¬gized path of Earth. The transfer of the rise in line voltage during a fault to Earth is by way of a jumper or other direct connection. This raises the Earth's point of contact to approximately the same voltage as the line itself during the fault.

The Earth itselfhas resistance. Remember, current flowing through a resistive element creates a voltage drop. As with any voltage drop, it is spread over the resistance itself. Consider the Earth as a string of resistors all connected in series. Each resistor in the series will develop a voltage because of the current flowing through it. This is the voltage drop bridged by the worker who steps across it.

As the distance from the point of contact in¬creases, voltage at that remote Earth point decreases. Tests indicate that the voltage
drops to approximately half of the point of contact voltage in the first 3 feet, at least at distribution voltages levels. It drops to half of that voltage again in the next 3 feet until it can (for all practical purposes) be considered zero.

This is a hazard for ground personnel. It is a real danger for workers leaving a truck that may have become energized through accidental contact with an energized conduc¬tor and maintenance workers around under¬ground distribution equipment. Protection methods include insulation, isolation or development of an equipotential zone.