PDA

View Full Version : Salt Lake Tragedy - Mt. Power

IN THE SHADOWS
08-27-2008, 04:17 AM
One man was killed and a second severely injured this morning when they were shocked while working on a backyard power pole in Salt Lake County.
The survivor, Fatu Matagi, 28, of Salt Lake City, was conscious and talking when he was flown in critical condition to the University of Utah burn unit with electrical shock injuries to his arms and legs, according to Unified Fire Authority spokesman Jay Fearnley.
Stephen G. Vlamakis, 26, of Helper, was pronounced dead at the scene.
The 11:43 a.m. accident left the two men dangling from a transformer and power lines about 15 to 20 feet above ground, Fearnley said.
By the time fire crews arrived, a third worker had already rigged rescue lines and was attempting to help the victims, Fearnley said. It took about 45 minutes to free the two men and get them to the ground, Fearnley said.
The victims work for Mountain Power, a subcontractor to Rocky Mountain Power. They were performing routine maintenance on a pole located in a backyard near 4100 South and 1400 East.

Our hearts go out to the families. No details as to cause yet.

old lineman
08-27-2008, 10:57 AM
What a tragedy! Our hearts go out to these two families.
Sometimes the survivors family struggles the most.I truly hope the survivor has a full recovery.
It's rare that there is two linemen injured on the pole at the same time, but this proves that it can and does happen.
My concern is not only why these events happen but what can be done to rescue these workers post accident.
Not knowing all of the complications and circumstances it's difficult to analize.
No matter what the circumstances we have to all know that 45 minutes is outside of the window of time for success in these events.
My point is, has your utility taken this possibility seriously enough to equip you with rescue equipment and allowed time for training.
It comes without saying that this has to be done BEFORE an accident occurs.
Let's put pressure where it belongs to make it happen ASAP.
The Old Lineman

cololinehand
08-27-2008, 05:01 PM
If you would like to see the news video here is the link:

http://www.abc4.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoid=86177@video.ktvx.com&navCatId=8

My prayers and thoughts are with both the families.

returntotheeve
08-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Tragic. I wonder if the groundman went into shock. I wonder if anyone on that crew or if anyone reading this considers what they would do in an instance like this. I always plan what to do if it all turns to shit. My heart goes out to these men and their families. Be safe. Hug your loved ones often.

cololinehand
08-27-2008, 07:24 PM
Not attacking, just asking, what would a groundman have done in this instance? About the only thing he could have done was dial 911. The lineman's brother is an apprentice at our yard and flew out to UT first thing this morning.

I don't know him well only him by sight but my heart goes out to him.

I have heard rumors but hate to spread them until they are known as fact.

C

returntotheeve
08-27-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm certainly not attacking. The last place I'd want to find myself is in that situation. It's tough to figure what to do in that situation when both your buddies are caught up in it. We all would like to think we would do differently but you never know until you're in it. Akin to someone telling a cop they're job is easy, approaching a car at 2 am. I don't know I can only presume. Bless that guy for getting up that pole to get his buds down.

WCLR
08-27-2008, 10:47 PM
Holy shit that brought chill bumps up on my arms and a tear to me eye. Lets and hope and pray for the guy thats still alive. Thank God the man had enough about him to get him off the pole. It was a shame having to see the blured out part knowing that guy was dead.

It was a scheduled outage according to the news station, so I wonder what happend?

Thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved.

WCLR
08-27-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm certainly not attacking. The last place I'd want to find myself is in that situation. It's tough to figure what to do in that situation when both your buddies are caught up in it. We all would like to think we would do differently but you never know until you're in it. Akin to someone telling a cop they're job is easy, approaching a car at 2 am. I don't know I can only presume. Bless that guy for getting up that pole to get his buds down.

Great post bro. We all never know until we're there. We can only train for the worst and hope it never happens. I've never had to get anyone down thank God but I've had to be brought down (luckily it wasnt serious) due to cramps and a hot summer day.

west coast hand
08-28-2008, 12:37 AM
the guy killed was a hot app not a groundman and from what i have heard where was the forman i heard a power company troubleman found them it sad to hear what going on alot of accidents this year. my thought go out to the family rest in peace brother

cololinehand
08-28-2008, 11:46 AM
The JL has passed away. May they both rest in peace and be accepted into the Kingdom of Heaven.

Please brothers and sister take the time to do the job safely. Your life and work affects not only you but your family, coworkers and community. The older brother of this man is a 3rd step apprentice for our company and he has to deal with this now.

I have it on good info that the foreman has a not for rehire for life with our company for safety reasons.

If it is true that the foreman was not on the job when this accident occured, he should be held criminally responsible for these two mens deaths.

Please be safe out there,
C

IN THE SHADOWS
08-28-2008, 12:33 PM
Very Sad
Thoughts and prayers to the families.

This is a tragic reminder that linework is so unforgiving. Please...... Brothers work safe everyday and stay focused. No job is so important that any corners need to be cut to get it done. You won't get a second chance with high voltage.

mainline
08-28-2008, 07:43 PM
My thoughts go out to the guys family. One is too many, we have had far too many this year.

grizzlybuck
08-29-2008, 10:32 AM
More sad news about more lost brothers, thought and prayers to the families and friends.

Think out your jobs and be safe, we've lost enough already.

electric squirrel
08-29-2008, 11:32 AM
I talked to the GF for the Mt Power ,he didn't want to say anything,which is understandable. I also talked to a union rep, he says Utah runs 3 man crews and that the Foreman wasn't on scene!!!! According to the local rep the ape was in flames for a while, and the lineman unable to help.The lady in the clip was the home owner and the one to call 911! E.S.

returntotheeve
08-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Was it accurate that the guy in the vid rescuing was the local shooter presumably responding to an outage?

mainline
08-29-2008, 07:39 PM
If the foreman left two apprentices to work around energized conductor with no groundman or supervision he should be strung up. That video was one of the saddest things I have ever seen. The troubleman who showed up gets much credit for performing the rescue. I just can't get beyond the two guys in hooks with no one on the ground to help out if something went wrong.

cololinehand
08-29-2008, 10:27 PM
:)I am happy to report that I was given wrong information that I had been told was true(not just rumor).

I spoked with the JL's brother's foreman and was told that the JL was receiving skin grafts but that there was no movement in one arm.

I am deeply apologetic for giving out the wrong info.:o

C

Trbl639
08-30-2008, 03:20 AM
Been off the boards for a while...first I've heard of this!

My heartfelt prayers and condolences to the family, friends and co-workers!

Polewalker57
08-31-2008, 01:27 AM
I am a lineman for the power company here in Utah. The Foreman was not on site when the accident ocurred which left a un-approved apprentice on the ground as an observer. We do not run three man crews here in Utah, in fact we must have an Qualified observer (foreman) on the ground in whose job is to do NOTHING but observe whenever hot work is being performed.
The Mountain Power crew was doing backyard arm change outs when this occured. This pole had a can on it and a single phase buck on it. The line was being fed from the buck to the line arm (TRAP). They opened the feed to the buck arm thinking that it killed the tap line BUT DIDNT TEST AND GROUND IT!
This is a sad and devastating accident which could have been prevented. I have heard the last few days how Mountain Power is an unsafe company and how this is their fault. I am not defending Mountain Power because I have never heard a good thing about them, but as Journeyman Lineman and Bothers in this trade, WE NEED TO TAKE CARE OF OURSELVES!!!!!! Please men, do not take shortcuts!!! We are trained and taught these procedures for a reason. IF ITS NOT GROUNDED ITS NOT DEAD!!!

GOD BLESS THESE TWO BROTHERS AND THEIR FAMILIES

arkansas traveler
08-31-2008, 12:55 PM
The biggest question I have about this accident. Who was the foreman? And, where was he? Mtn Pwr as a rep for being an unsafe contractor. I worked for them 10 yrs ago in
Wa and the were ratty then. We need to identify the hands that are killing and maiming our brothers. Hopefully Local 57 will e-board the man responsible.

Hook up!
09-19-2008, 06:44 PM
I was a foreman working for Mountain Power Co. at the time of the accident.. As of last week the Lineman was still alive and still in the hospital. As far as crew size goes. It was a 4 man crew, lineman, hot apprentice, cold apprentice and foreman.. I also ran a crew exactly like this one.. The info on this is really scarce, due to the ongoing investigation... It was a Rocky Mountain trouble shooter that cut the two down. I believe the foreman and app were there, dont know how they reacted... All the contract crews were doing that same type of work for most of the summer...We had a combo of back yard arm change outs as well as drive to.. and also pole change outs.. Most of the arms and pins were very old, wooden pins, broken arms.. I will not monday morning quarterback this accident, the true facts will come out after the investgation... What I do know is Mountain power has no respect for lineman or foreman, and it is very evident in there approach to who is in charge of the day to day operations... My boss was a 23 year old college kid who was not a lineman, just a realtive of the owner.. He scheduled our outages and gave us all our work.. Every lineman and foreman disliked this kid and comments were made of his qualifications, but they still keep him on. All can say is I am glad I no longer work for this company...I've been in line work 32 years, and have never seen the total lack of respect for linemen and foreman... My crew consisted of my Journeyman, 23 years old, hot apprentice,22 years old and my cold app. 21 years old... the first day my crew showed up, I was nervous, as it turns out , I have the utmost resprect for my young crew.. My journeyman was absolutely awesome, and the hot ape, fantastic... products of the Mountain states apprentice program...the pride in Union, and quality work was abundent from these guys.. I am very proud to see our trade headed this way.. Now if we can just avoid these types of accidents.. rest in peace, Steve, and Fatu, get well asap...

Meat
09-20-2008, 12:04 AM
I went to climbing school with a Mountain Power apprentice from Idaho The story I heard was he had a contact and went back to his room to lay down. He eventually went to the hospital with serious injuries and was no longer in the trade. This was 2001 or 2002. I always wondered what happened to him(his 1st name was John).I have no idea if this is a pattern for Mountain Power or not but it doesn't sound good. Best wishes to the surviving lineman. The rescuer is "the man".Meat.

US & CA Tramp
10-16-2008, 02:10 PM
What ever happened to Fatu? Is he doing OK? The last I heard he lost both arms, but I was hoping that was just a rumor!

slipknot
12-11-2008, 08:47 PM
What ever happened to Fatu? Is he doing OK? The last I heard he lost both arms, but I was hoping that was just a rumor!

Fatu is doing okay he only had one arm amputated and muscles cut out of his other arms and legs.. he is strengthening what muscles he has left and is walking unassisted... To show you how ratty Mountain Power is they have stopped paying the 1/3 of his wages that workmens comp is not paying.. If you can avoid Mountain Power stay away if you must work for them be safe and refuse to do anything questionable

PA BEN
12-12-2008, 08:58 PM
ESCI does our safety meetings/training. They said that the single phase was dead ended on the arm with a jumper. The jumper was removed and brought back on it's self and secured with the hot tap. The crew thought the line was dead, but it was fed from both sides of the arm. No test and ground and no cover. The lineman changed out the arm and stepped down on to the top of the denergized transformer. Some how he made contact and fell onto the apprentice. While the apprentice tried to step up in his belt and move he made contact with the jumped. There was no tailboard and the guy on the ground didn't know the address so he ran to the front of the house to get the address to call for help. Like I said this is what we were told.:(

slaplineman
04-09-2009, 12:12 AM
wow that is sad i pray for the family's... always remember identify isolate test and ground

CPOPE
12-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Update on this thread, Fatu fighting the good fight........
Update: 12/04/09 4:42 pm
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah (ABC 4 News) - After dangling from a power pole, Fatu Matagi is speaking out about how he wants to help other workers be safer on the job.
http://www.abc4.com/content/news/slc/story/Worker-still-recovering-after-2008-electrical/Jm4lyxdX20uKVxIP2w4-IQ.cspx

CPOPE
01-02-2011, 07:21 AM
DENVER - The fact you are reading this story on the Internet is a tribute to the men and women working this holiday season to keep your power on.
http://www.9news.com/seenon9news/article.aspx?storyid=171718&catid=509
Electrical workers like Sam Matagi got into the trade because they can see the fruits of their labor on a daily basis.

"My work was helping out people," said Matagi, an apprentice lineman from Utah. "It just gave the satisfaction, of, 'I done something today to help people out.'"

Matagi, an apprentice lineman from Utah, was recently working a job in Kremmling when he was shocked by an electric line.

"I really can't tell you what happened because I don't remember," Matagi said. "But I got shocked."

Matagi had touched a live source of power with his hands.

The jolt knocked him out, and emergency workers flew him to Denver and the University of Colorado Hospital, where doctors delivered some bad news.

"There was no circulation in the hands, no blood coming up," he said. "They decided it was best if we get rid of them."

His hands were gone.
"We think, we should just be able to turn on the lights and they should just come on," Matagi said. "But there's a lot of work that goes behind that."

And there will be a lot of work to get better, but Matagi has his brother by his bedside this Christmas season to help him recover.

Fatu Matagi, a former journeyman lineman, also lost his arm two years ago in an accident in Utah.

"He came into the hospital when I was there" Fatu Matagi said. "I remember telling him, he should stay in the trade. Don't be scared because I got injured."

"Everything I do, he's experienced it already," Sam Matagi said. "He can tell me, 'Oh, you're going to feel this pain.'"

Sam Matagi has more surgery ahead, but the brothers are finding ways to heal through laughter, and great memories together this Christmas season.

"Christmas is about being with family," Sam Matagi said.

And there is no Christmas more important for these brothers than this year.http://www.9news.com/genthumb/genthumb.ashx?e=3&h=204&w=320&i=/assetpool/images/101224073709_12-24-10-burn-victim2.jpg
http://www.9news.com/genthumb/genthumb.ashx?e=3&h=204&w=320&i=/assetpool/images/101224073709_12-24-10-burn-victim2.jpg

electric squirrel
01-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Both brothers get burned!!!???? Who was the second one working for??

BigClive
01-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Both brothers get burned!!!???? Who was the second one working for??

You took the words right out of my mouth ES. :confused:

I bet they both worked for the same company.

cololinehand
01-03-2011, 07:20 PM
that bet BC. He was working for Sturgeon Electric in an REA area.

The Facts:

He was working on installing secondary on a de-energized can.

He was a 7th step app in the bucket alone.

The 14.4 primary was covered up 8 FEET out from where he was working.

He was out of his rubbers because of the above.

The tail he took up in the air was to long and when he threw it out of the bucket it hung up on the edge of the bucket and swung up into the phase just outside of the cover up.

The foreman performed CPR on him to bring him back.

How he was in series is still beyond all of our comprehension. His hands were amputated the Friday before Christmas. At all of our safety meetings about this accident collections were taken and I believe the family was flown in from Utah since Sam was here by himself.

Cololinehand

NotALineman
08-08-2011, 08:49 AM
I was reading through this sad story and back in the first accident, there was a lot of talk about where the foreman might have been. Is there any legitimate reason a foreman might have for leaving the work site? Maybe to go back to retrieve something from the truck on a site they had to walk into? Maybe expecting that the other 2 men could be doing some kind of prep work from the ground and not doing live linework in his absence?

Someone said they thought the foreman should be criminally charged, is there any scenario that would redeem him?

topgroove
08-08-2011, 09:38 AM
I've seen this senario play out hundreds of times. No one will be criminaly charged. If OSHA does fine the company it will be appealed and reduced to a few thousand dollars. Over the past ten or fifeteen years we've seen an increase in contact incedents like this and its only gonna get worse. As the number of lineman in this country reduce through retirement more and more in-expierenced lineman fill the void. All too often Lineman seam to think they don't have to wear their rubber gloves. They justify it by saying " I have my clearence"...... Or " I'm not working anywhere near the energized primary".
If lineman would simply wear their personal protective equipment many of these contact type accidents would be avoided. You'll never hear it publicly, but line crews today are constantly pushed for performance and job hours are scrutenized down to the minute. So many of these workers have a Giterdone mentality that bending the rules a smidge are commonplace. Younger guys pick up bad habits without even realizing it. Too many times our work becomes routine, We've done the particular task thousand of times. We're combfortable in the job and could do it blindfolded. Than, suddenly the unexpected happens! A worker and his families lives get turned upside down. It happens in an instant without warning. The company launches an investigation and six months latter we find out that it was the worker that was not following prescribed safety practices or not wearing his protective equipment. Funny thing ain't it. Each and every single time its always the workers fault, 100 % of the time. We mull it over here on the forum for awhile and soon forget about it, :( till the next accident happens. Its an insane cycle that keeps repeating itself over and over again.

claybartenbear
08-10-2011, 01:23 AM
continued prayers and best wishes to all involved in this horrible tragedy. Topgroove truer words have not been said. utility investors, management, the public, and our own families might never know what really goes on in maintaining and repairing the powerlines. but in our chosen profession, is this what all involved have bargained for? may the lord watch over us all