PDA

View Full Version : Altec buckets

lewy
08-29-2008, 04:02 PM
Why can't Altec one of, if not the largest maker of aerial devices in North America make a MHD with a fully hydraulic jib capable of 270 degrees of rotation as compared to there approximately 120 degrees, this technology has been around for more than 20 years. Amador did it (no longer in business, but were the cadilac of bucket trucks) & Posi plus do it with no problems what so ever

mainline
08-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Lewy we have been bitching about the same thing with our Altecs. We even changed our work practices to allow the use of the winch to pick up phases because of this problem. The Altec rep has stated that this is being looked at as an upgrade. We are currently runnig the AM50 & 55 booms. They are great when they work, but they seem to have far more issues than the tel-elects we used to run. This is especially true when they spend all of there time outdoors.

JAKE
08-29-2008, 09:34 PM
i could see it being possible but it would be bulky it would need to be a worm drive to get the rotation kinda like the turntable, it could work with just hydraulic cylinders but the other side of the pivot would have to be really long to get the range of motion or a compound system but again bulky!!

we have 2 AA600's that i really like there the winch over the boom style it seems like it has about 120degrees of movement and i guess i havent run into a time when ive needed more than that.

we have 2 other big buckets i dont know what model booms they are but there the winch under with the square jib and they SUCK!! no side reach you have to assemble the 3phase holder to use it not to mention how huge it is

although ive been loosing faith in altec....our last digger dereck is a POS!!!! and our newest bucket your chasing leaks on all the time and you have to have the jacks down so far even if it means making the truck way off level, the gun runs WAY hotter than the older ones, and you cant keep the leveling system from squeeling like a pig

lewy
08-29-2008, 09:59 PM
The first time I was in an Altec I thought the jib was broken when it did not have the rotation to go below the bucket. 270 degrees makes your life a lot easier, but if you have never had it you do not know what you are missing.

Patriot
08-29-2008, 10:32 PM
Why can't they make one that has a battery pack that is charged via the engine, then you can run off electric over hydralic???? Then you don't have to scream to talk to an operator.

JAKE
08-29-2008, 10:58 PM
they have some new hybrid trucks that are supposed to be able to operate 8 hours without the engine, only downside is the wieght of the batteries

which buckets have the 270 rotation? ive only been in altecs with a MH

Trbl639
08-29-2008, 11:14 PM
Altecs are all we are buying...well leasing now..............I think their quality control is on vacation most of the time.............

the new diggers are all POS...won't pick up anything, and leak like a sieve!!!!!
the buckets are almost as bad, as far as leaks...and I hate them damn snesors on the jack legs,,,ya get em down, crawl in the bucket and gotta crawl back down and let the jacks down more:mad: happens to me about once a week!!!!!!!!!

I've got the L42M, and love it, as far as reach..because I can get in any bin on the truck...even open the passenger side door, and get hot battery for my squeeze tool out of the charger, in the floorboard.........and not have to get out of the bucket...hell can even get a cold drink outta the ice chest on the front bumper, but got bend over a little:D...and when ya work by yourself 99% of the time...that is a PLUS!!!!!!!

had to learn how to set this one up different when I got it a couple years ago, had the AO42, and had more reach off the back...the L42M has more off the side!!!

do wish the jib had the extra angle on it though!!

lewy
08-30-2008, 05:42 AM
they have some new hybrid trucks that are supposed to be able to operate 8 hours without the engine, only downside is the wieght of the batteries

which buckets have the 270 rotation? ive only been in altecs with a MH

Posi Plus it is standard on all there jibs

mainline
08-30-2008, 09:08 AM
Lewy you are a lucky cat. I worked out of a Posi bucket when I contracted. It was a beast. I loved it and would go back any day. Swamp we keep hearing that guys down south love the Altecs. I think they would work great where it is warm all the time. They hate the cold weather. I never had any other bucket other than an Altec continue to move six feet after you released the controls. All because of the cold and there valving system.

tomcat
08-30-2008, 04:56 PM
I am almost positive that with Altec diggers and buckets, if your company will sign a waiver, a switch can be installed on the truck to bypass one or two of the jacks, it is an might be an option.

Check with the sales dept.

Trbl639
08-30-2008, 05:38 PM
I am almost positive that with Altec diggers and buckets, if your company will sign a waiver, a switch can be installed on the truck to bypass one or two of the jacks, it is an might be an option.

Check with the sales dept.

Already tried that....Our people won't let it happen!!!!!!!

Pootnaigle
08-30-2008, 06:41 PM
I dont think anyone ever buys an Altec...... They build these damn things and lease em to big corporations.The guy in charge of leasing em has never worked a day in one and wouldnt know the difference in any of em.So Altec buillds em and makes em a sweetheart deal on a lease and he thinks he has done his company proud.
People that actually buy this kinda equipment go with Terex or High ranger or Liftall , etc. The reason they buy em is pretty easy to understand .........less downtime and way more user friendly.Plus those manufacturers work the bugs out of em before they sellem.

JAKE
08-30-2008, 10:44 PM
we could and can work everything off the wood, but one our company dosnt allow any hot work off the pole over 300vac to ground so memebers would get tired of us killing out line to work on it everyday thats just how it is i dont make therules. i love my aa600, i had a ao42 at my previous company and really liked it too, but if it were up to me i would buy something other than an altec now like said below there qc is on vacation they must be having all there stuff made in china now

Funny shit.:D

Can't do a god damn thing....without a "Truck".:D

Altec is a FINE piece of equipment. So's a set of hooks.....when ya can't get to it with a bucket....

"The NEW".....age of Linework.:(

mainline
08-31-2008, 09:05 AM
I often disagree with you swamp, but I can agree on the high ranger comment. They aren't flashy, but they last, and last, and last. No equipment manufacturer will sign off on disabling safety interlock equipment. Too much liability. In fact, if they figure out they you have managed to bypass something they will work their rears off to defeat you. Much of the things that have come out, from pistol grips, to HOP, SOP, and jack interlocks are ANSI standards or soon will be. We will just need to get used to it. Altec however takes it to new heights by creating the most difficult to maintain, and complicated systems around. My utility is now looking at fiber optic controls for the buckets. I can honestly say that with all of the manufacturing defects we have had I am not looking forward to working with a system that uses a computer to figure out what you are trying to do. All I can say is wear a good fall arrest system and work on getting low in the bucket.

BULLogna
08-31-2008, 10:38 AM
Most of altec cold weather problem can be fixed with different oils. I also have a 3' bypass hose that i plug into the upper tools to let the oil circulate for about 10 minutes when cold. i have also put a magnetic engine block warmer no the oil reserve tank and plugged in over night.

Trbl639
08-31-2008, 01:55 PM
Most of altec cold weather problem can be fixed with different oils. I also have a 3' bypass hose that i plug into the upper tools to let the oil circulate for about 10 minutes when cold. i have also put a magnetic engine block warmer no the oil reserve tank and plugged in over night.

I've got the Block heater set up, and when I crank it up in cold weather to let it warm while I am finihing getting ready to go in, I put thr pto in...and make sure the tool circuit is turned on, and flip the selector switch to boom....do the same when I get to the yard so the oil is fairly warm in the hydraulics.........it ain't the best set-up, but it works!!

Over the years, I've worked the Hi-Rangers, and like em, but never had one with a MH, so I can't vouch for them......but i sure like being able to turn the boom inside out, and ya can't do that with a Hi-Ranger...but it's something ya don't have to do everyday!!! For about 7 years, I had a Simon-Telect 42ft MH, and that bucket was a hoss!!!! I think I had 1 break down on the boom/hydraulics in that 7 years, but put several rear-ends and more than I can remember rear axles in it!!!!!! The rear-end had the Detroit Lockers and was too light for the truck!!!! I can honestly say that bucket was the Best I had worked, and I've worked Holans, Pittman Hotsticks, Hi-Rangers, Lift-Alls, and now Altecs (since about 2000)!!!

1sully
08-31-2008, 04:41 PM

Never spent much time around bucket trucks until I retired and came back a few times but when it was snowing or colder than a witches tit, I would start the truck, put the pto in and where the lower control levers are, one says purge, put it to purge, this warms and clears the system of any air that might be in the lines which will cause the boom to move after you release the trigger. You should do this even in warm weather to keep the system clear. Maybe your booms don’t have this option but our altecs did. Don’t forget to take it out of purge. As far as oil, we used the same year around, special purified oil.

old lineman
08-31-2008, 08:49 PM
No company will give permission to circumvent any safety device, especially Altec.
TRUE STORY
Altec was sued a number of years ago because a couple of dumb asses went aloft with both booms straight up. They decided not to use the out riggers as they intended only to be directly above the truck.
A gust of wind blew the truck over and killed both of them.
The suit was based on the fact that there is available on the market a 'fail safe switch' that would prevent raising the boom unless all outriggers were deployed.
It's optional and the utility never requested it.
You only get what you pay for if your lucky.
The old Lineman

harrisongatorman
09-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Lewy you are a lucky cat. I worked out of a Posi bucket when I contracted. It was a beast. I loved it and would go back any day. Swamp we keep hearing that guys down south love the Altecs. I think they would work great where it is warm all the time. They hate the cold weather. I never had any other bucket other than an Altec continue to move six feet after you released the controls. All because of the cold and there valving system.

I work in Florida and we have telelect high rangers. The first incident thank god the phases were isolated the lineman let go of the trigger and it kept on going. it crushed the bucket by the time the foreman shut the controls off at the ground. He stood on top of the arms and waited for the other lineman to come get him. Turned it and they said it was fixed,gotta love city motorpool. Second time same bucket and same lineman douple circuit between phases it happened again, this time it was hot, hit the insulator and broke the trigger off. Thank god he remembered where the stop switch was in the bucket. Manufacture looked at it this time and it still hasnt been right to this day.

THE KID
09-08-2008, 10:41 PM
we had the same problem with a High Ranger. Almost put me and my partner in primary twice. Had High ranger come in and we took the bucket up. The bucket took off and we had our hands in the air like somebody had a Gun pointed at us. The guy from High ranger said that there is noway that this could be happing.

The problem was in the Dead man controls, the valve was sticking and allowing the boom to continue to work. Replaced the valve and that fix the problem. The bucket was a 1989 year model. Hope this helps.

harrisongatorman
09-08-2008, 10:47 PM
They replaced our deadman controls on both of the buckets that it done it on and it still happened. We had an older highranger a 94 model that dropped one time and the valve had stuck on it on the dead man control. Dont know what the problem is on the newer trucks they are 03 models

LAMartin.CVEC
09-22-2008, 06:51 PM
I've always loved Highrangers, however my crew got an Altec 550 on an 07 Peterbuilt, and I believe it in one of the finest machines I've ever had the privilege to operate. Man it is one SMOOTH bucket!

L.A. Martin
Journeyman
CVEC

lewy
09-22-2008, 08:53 PM
I've always loved Highrangers, however my crew got an Altec 550 on an 07 Peterbuilt, and I believe it in one of the finest machines I've ever had the privilege to operate. Man it is one SMOOTH bucket!

L.A. Martin
Journeyman
CVEC

But what about the Jib is it still a piece of crap with only 120 degrees of rotation or after all these years has Altec figured out how to get 270 degrees.
Does Highranger jibs have 270 degrees?