PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my southern lingo?

LostArt
09-09-2008, 06:26 PM
I just wanted y'all to know I am not as southern as you think. Really. I will admit to letting a few southern words (local language used through the many hundrends of years by Grandma Tom or great Grand daddy Lucian) flow in my posts from time to time, but I'm not that bad. Or at least I was told that today by a young student who is from Jersey. Pronounced Jahsee.

Yes, I was asking him how he liked the pace down here. He grinned and said, "It's pretty slow and laid back. Nothing much to do around here though." I asked if he understood the native tongue or was he having problems understanding the words with the twangy accents. I then asked him if he could read me. He laughed and said, "I can read you fine. Now, I am having problems in Mrs. Young's class." I couldn't help it.....I really laughed. I wish I could find a video of her. She is priceless.

Mrs. Young has two small children, lives on a farm with her husband, does most of the work on the farm, drives a large 4 wheel drive pick up, and has been known to sit in a deer stand, shoot and skin one before coming to school to teach. When I told him this, he said he wouldn't be surprised. Too funny.

We don't have very many students who come here from the north east coast or any large cities from across the USA for that matter. After all, just in this hometown alone, we have less than 1,000 kids K-12th grades. I mean, you don't just up and decide to come to Hickville, FL just out of the clear blue younder! No siree!

I've been getting a kick out of wtdoor67 rubbing in our southern lingo down here and actually enjoying it. Really....I have! Although I hate to tell him that Swamp does not sound like a hick on the phone. Not by a long shot. However, he does have a knack for understanding it. :D

So, I know we all speak the same, sound the same, look the same, and live the same, but sometimes we might surprise you folks by coming off "somewhat" intelligent. Maybe not often, but ....hey... at least we try. :D

Besides, I have nuttin' on Pootnaigle. He can throw words at me that I've never seen before. Must be that Texan spellin' or sumptin', but I can get quite lost at times. And spell check just ain't workin' for me.

*smirks*

NOTE: I could have easily filled this post with emoticons (funny smilies), but we are only limited to THREE in a post! (*@#$!!!

wtdoor67
09-09-2008, 07:08 PM
A Northern girl says, you can. A Southern girl says, y'all can. I don't know what they are talking about.

Worked with some Louisiana guys once. I worked with them for about a week before I figured out one guy was named Mothershed. The way they pronounced it I thought it was a nickname. I thought they were calling him mushhead.

Mothershed cranked the generator. When it didn't start they said crank it agin. When it still didn't start they said. Nother gin.

LostArt
09-09-2008, 08:31 PM
You're just misunderstood Swamp. :D

A Northern girl says, you can. A Southern girl says, y'all can. I don't know what they are talking about.

Worked with some Louisiana guys once. I worked with them for about a week before I figured out one guy was named Mothershed. The way they pronounced it I thought it was a nickname. I thought they were calling him mushhead.

Mothershed cranked the generator. When it didn't start they said crank it agin. When it still didn't start they said. Nother gin.

LOL!

Funny thing about them southern cajuns, I can't seem to cipher their language either...and I'm down here! Wrong swamp, I guess. http://www.avowners.com/forum/smileys/doh001.gif When the Boss was workin' Hugo years ago up in Moncks Corner, SC there was one of those southern french cajun dudes. He was just a talkin' up a storm, smiling and talking to me. I just smiled back and nodded. I turned to the boss and found him laughing at me. I asked, "What??" He grinned and said, "It's killing you that you have no idea what he just said." I only elbowed him.

Five minutes passed and I asked, "Okay. What did he say?"

LostArt
09-09-2008, 08:51 PM
http://www.avowners.com/forum/smileys/funny001.gif

Thank you sully. I'm printing it out and giving it to him. :D

There was a graduate by the name of Josh that received a scholarship from the Army in 2007. He was from NYC. His mother had to come down here and take care of her grandmother back in 2004. He had no choice but to move from what he had always known as home.

Most of us didn't think Josh would turn out. He was use to a fast FAST pace of life. I'm not one to knock anyone wearing piercings but he did stick out like a sore thumb at first. Then he surprised us all by fitting in pretty well. He ended up being one of my student workers and was always polite. Seemed to like a couple of his teachers too.

He came to the school this summer a whole new man. I couldn't believe the change. It made me cry. Yes, he had been to Iraq and seen some things. I didn't ask and he didn't elaborate.

I told that young man that I was sure proud of him. And when he got a chance, write me. If not, don't forget to come back and see us. Know what he said? "Of course Mrs. D. This place is home. I'll be back."

The south. We ain't all bad. You might even call us home.

Orgnizdlbr
09-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Pronounced Jahsee.

Never heard it that way.....joisey

Trbl639
09-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Damnit girl....don't be blowin my cover. shoot.;)
I keep "thinkin" bout lookin for a spell check....but Nawwww....t'ain't worth my time. Most of ya get my drift. If ya don't...well...there ya go.:p

Here's a kick for old Texas Poot. I got drafted.

Said..."sure, why the hell not."
Even passed the piss test....

Looks like a "Road trip" to texas probably Thursday. Stage up for Ike. Can ya believe it? I might even get to operate one of them thar "bucket trucks".:D

It'll be great knowin I got guys like the backdoor man I can count on, if I need help with sumpthin! he a smart sumbitch!
If old Ike'ster turns to mexico though,....shucks....guess I can't go play lineman.....
Gonna just have to sit back in the old Rockin chair and wait and see I guess..... just halfassed retired and all....

Hell Swamp.......we maybe headin that way instead of the Swamps in LA to see Koga.....the wheels ain't made their mind up...at least if they have..they ain't let us lineman know!!!!!! Be Careful Old fart!!! Don't want ya to fall crrawling in them buckets!!!:D

Hemingray Insulators
09-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Looks like a "Road trip" to texas probably Thursday. Stage up for Ike. Can ya believe it? I might even get to operate one of them thar "bucket trucks".:D

LMAO you ever even BEEN in a bucket before swampy?:D
JK nad b4 u start "remindin" me again no i aint got the shirts printed yet, but i'll have one for ya b4 christmas ok? LOL. if ya go be safe and try not to be too "technical" they might want ta make ya engineer:D

wtdoor67
09-10-2008, 07:20 PM
Hell people from Florida don't even talk like southerners to me. To many imports down there.

Used to catch skip from down there and the servicemen evidently were imports. I remember one from Cocoa Beach who sounded like he was from Jersey. Another one from the Miami area had a Northern accent also. This was about 20 years ago.

I remember one who was working on a pipeline near Indian Town whom I talked with briefly. I was in Wyoming and could hear him clearly.

Lot of snowbirds down there.

Trbl639
09-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Fart, yeah...."Old"?....How bout "older" Wouldn't THAT be the shit though! Bust my ass just tryin to get into it!!!

You be careful too Trouble. I'd bet your "wheels" are gonna say "Texas".

Yeah, I won't hold my breath Hem.:D Just kiddin man...XLarge.

They got little steps inside em to help ya get out!!!!!:D:D

they still thinking...and ya know that's dangerous when wheels go to thinkin:eek:

Trbl639
09-10-2008, 08:29 PM
Hell people from Florida don't even talk like southerners to me. To many imports down there.

Used to catch skip from down there and the servicemen evidently were imports. I remember one from Cocoa Beach who sounded like he was from Jersey. Another one from the Miami area had a Northern accent also. This was about 20 years ago.

I remember one who was working on a pipeline near Indian Town whom I talked with briefly. I was in Wyoming and could hear him clearly.

Yeah, we ran into some in Florida that had migrated from BC Hydro.....them boys talked funnier than them coon asses from south Louisiana:)

LostArt
09-11-2008, 06:11 PM
Never heard it that way.....joisey

I use to know of a guy up your way Georgie. The one that use to be a volunteer fire fighter and a Marine vet. I called him once and it was hilarious! We switched off accents. He laughed and said I was doing "pretty good" with my Joisey accent. Well, I couldn't say that about him though! :D

LostArt
09-11-2008, 06:12 PM

You got that right!

Pootnaigle
09-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Ummmmmm reckon I'll be sendin My sun n his gurls to Florider fer a hurrycation from Ike. Yall be on yer bestest behavior fer em. Me I'm sittin it out jus like always.Prolly be lottsa Texuns vacinatin down there, Cause we is fer sure ded in the path of the storm. N I spoze I'll carry me a step ladder fer to help Swampgas get inna bukket.

LostArt
09-11-2008, 07:53 PM
Ummmmmm reckon I'll be sendin My sun n his gurls to Florider fer a hurrycation from Ike. Yall be on yer bestest behavior fer em. Me I'm sittin it out jus like always.Prolly be lottsa Texuns vacinatin down there, Cause we is fer sure ded in the path of the storm. N I spoze I'll carry me a step ladder fer to help Swampgas get inna bukket.

LOL! Instigator. :D