PDA

View Full Version : Portland Accident - Here's another argument for crews packing defibulators

IN THE SHADOWS
09-11-2008, 05:12 PM
High-voltage shock kills, then revives lineman

Lineman Mark Moe got zapped twice in five minutes, once on accident, and another time minutes later to bring him back to life.

YouNewsTV™Story Published: Sep 11, 2008 at 12:39 PM PDT

Story Updated: Sep 11, 2008 at 12:40 PM PDT
By ****** and KATU Web Staff Video GLADSTONE, Ore. – Lineman Mark Moe literally got the shock of his life recently – and it killed him.

Minutes later, another shock brought him back to life.

Moe, working as sub-contracted lineman for electrical utility Portland General Electric, was replacing an arm on a wooden power pole when he made contact with a live wire carrying over 7,000 volts of electricity.

The charged coursed though his body from his arm to his heel. His heart stopped and he hung lifeless from the power pole as his co-workers raced to lower him to the ground.

For four long minutes, Moe was clinically dead – no pulse, no life signs.

Volunteer Gladstone firefighters, located just blocks away, quickly arrived on the scene. Moe’s body was still hanging on the power pole when they showed up to help. A rope was attached to Moe and he was lowered to the ground.

The firefighters then gave Moe a second shock, this time from a defibrillator unit they had received just a few months earlier.

The jolt restarted his heart and brought Moe back to life.

To the amazement of medical personnel and co-workers, Moe suffered very little injury from the incident, just two burn marks on his arm and heel where the high-voltage current passed through him.

Assistant Chief Mike Funk with the Gladstone Fire Department said that much power passing through a person’s body usually does a lot of damage including the loss of limbs.

But Moe is walking and talking without any problems, except for the burned spots, which are expected to heal. "Obviously, everybody did a great job or I wouldn’t be here," he says of the efforts to rescue and then revive him.

Of his near-death experience, Moe said he didn’t see any white lights and can’t even recall going to work on the morning of the accident.

He said he expects to be back to work as a lineman at the end of the month

Trbl639
09-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Our transmission crews have em, and I've seen em in our Training center...but ain't seen the FIRST on on a distribution crew truck!!!!

We've asked about em, and always are told...They're coming!!!

We're still waiting!!!!!!

old lineman
09-11-2008, 08:22 PM
High-voltage shock kills, then revives lineman

Lineman Mark Moe got zapped twice in five minutes, once on accident, and another time minutes later to bring him back to life.

YouNewsTV™Story Published: Sep 11, 2008 at 12:39 PM PDT

Story Updated: Sep 11, 2008 at 12:40 PM PDT
By ****** and KATU Web Staff Video GLADSTONE, Ore. – Lineman Mark Moe literally got the shock of his life recently – and it killed him.

Minutes later, another shock brought him back to life.

Moe, working as sub-contracted lineman for electrical utility Portland General Electric, was replacing an arm on a wooden power pole when he made contact with a live wire carrying over 7,000 volts of electricity.

The charged coursed though his body from his arm to his heel. His heart stopped and he hung lifeless from the power pole as his co-workers raced to lower him to the ground.

For four long minutes, Moe was clinically dead – no pulse, no life signs.

Volunteer Gladstone firefighters, located just blocks away, quickly arrived on the scene. Moe’s body was still hanging on the power pole when they showed up to help. A rope was attached to Moe and he was lowered to the ground.

The firefighters then gave Moe a second shock, this time from a defibrillator unit they had received just a few months earlier.

The jolt restarted his heart and brought Moe back to life.

To the amazement of medical personnel and co-workers, Moe suffered very little injury from the incident, just two burn marks on his arm and heel where the high-voltage current passed through him.

Assistant Chief Mike Funk with the Gladstone Fire Department said that much power passing through a person’s body usually does a lot of damage including the loss of limbs.

But Moe is walking and talking without any problems, except for the burned spots, which are expected to heal. "Obviously, everybody did a great job or I wouldn’t be here," he says of the efforts to rescue and then revive him.

Of his near-death experience, Moe said he didn’t see any white lights and can’t even recall going to work on the morning of the accident.

He said he expects to be back to work as a lineman at the end of the month

Two points;
Horray for the linemen who rescued the victim in time. Nice work.
Be thankful the crew was near the fire department and they had AED's.
Time to get self sufficient.
There may never be a next time, that's good.
If there is and your somewhere else what will you do?
Get equipped with AED's and be prepared.
Lady luck is fickle.
The Old Lineman

IronLine
09-12-2008, 12:17 PM
If anyone is interested in talking to their foremen etc. about purchasing AED's, I've got a link to a site that gives pretty good deals on a regular basis. We buy the Philips HeartSmart(Start?) AED's for around $1200/ea, but like I said, they normally have a deal for $100-$200 off. Go ahead and PM me if you want any info!! Also, I'm a certified trainer, I would suggest to the company to go get one or two of their guys certified and just bounce crew to crew! Safety first ya'll..without a doubt!

doug
09-13-2008, 02:58 PM
We Have Them In All Our Trucks P-u Etc.we Use To Just Have Them On Our Bucket
But The Coop Wanted To Put Them In Every Truck And Bldg.