PDA

View Full Version : Safety Presentation

HEAVY DUTY
09-17-2008, 09:56 PM
I Am A Lineman Who Is Cross Training In Safety And Need To Come Up With A Good Presentation For Safety Meetings. I Need Help. Anyone Have Any Good Ideas. Help A Brother Out. Maybe Someone Knows A Good Web Site To Get Info Like This

Thanks For Your Help

Steve

CPOPE
09-18-2008, 06:29 AM
I Am A Lineman Who Is Cross Training In Safety And Need To Come Up With A Good Presentation For Safety Meetings. I Need Help. Anyone Have Any Good Ideas. Help A Brother Out. Maybe Someone Knows A Good Web Site To Get Info Like This

Thanks For Your Help

Steve

How long are you in Safety Cross Training? Just take a look at this site and you will find plenty of safety topics to present on. Most of us work in small line barns where accidents are rare. When you take a look at the global picture accidents happen in our trade every day. Learn and teach from others mistakes & misfortune so these accidents are not for nothin.

You can simply refer to OSHA 1910.269 and start presenting.
http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=standards&p_id=9868

Give me a call or E-Mail if I can help. I've got preasentions in the can I can flip you. You've been given the oppertunity to educate others. Save a life. Take advantage of it. Keep your brothers safe.

C.P. O'Neil P.E.
SEAPOPE Electrical Consulting
Uxbridge, Massachusetts 01569
(339) 987-7892 C
CPONEIL@Charter.net

tomcat
09-20-2008, 06:29 AM
After returning from working a week of wind damage, I believe the first topic I would talk about and stress is "LOCK OUT - TAG OUT", The proper use of grounds and the reasons we ground and if you are just too lazy to ground, put your gloves on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is beyond my reasoning why you would not want to protect yourself and your crew?

There are thousands of topics to be explored and discussed.

Personal Protective Equipment
URD safety and switching
Transformer banking
Proper use of cover-up
Traffic control and use of signage

Just pick one and run with it.

old lineman
09-20-2008, 08:29 PM

Thanks For Your Help

Steve

Hey Steve,
Why not float a paper and ask your counter parts what they want to hear about?
Personally I like the idea of a tag team to do the research for the topic. Guys get tired and bored with the same person doing all of the presenting.
Here's another thing that I've seen work well but it takes a commitment from the top.
If a worker is seen performing work in an unsafe manner her/she can be asked to do a presentation on that method done correctly.
Think about it, if the worker wasn't doing it correctly he/she might not know the right way, have forgotten or some other reason. If that person has to do a presentation (with your help) they will be the expert going down the line.
Just a couple of ideas.
The Old Lineman.

HEAVY DUTY
09-20-2008, 09:26 PM
thanks for everyones help.

Chipdiamond
09-25-2008, 03:15 AM
these guys here http://www.vocam.com/ do genral stuff and their DVD's make you think about taking your hard hat off to scratch your head if done in the wrong place you could be real sorry. Hope they help but just remember the more the guys are involved with it the more they take from it.

Stinger
09-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Steve, what ever you do, keep common sense in play. Ask crew hands to talk about near misses, great stories with a learing punch line to them. Good luck, it is a demanding job, it is a double edge sword between labor and management. Do not let management contol your safety training, as they are only looking out for themselves and liabilty and deniability to throw blame eveywhere except themselves. They value turning meters and shareholders more than they do lineman. Good luck brother.

HEAVY DUTY
09-28-2008, 08:15 PM
Thanks Stinger....you Said A Mouthful........this Job Is Only Temporary.... Im Already Wanting To Get Back In My Tools....i Need To Stay In The Brotherhood Because I Express My Opinion To Often...

Oakland T-Man
10-22-2008, 03:17 PM
http://www.incident-prevention.com/

This site is very good. They have a news letter. Check out their archived new's letters.
Every thing is presented in a very easy to understand format. Very informative information included in their archives was CONFINED SPACE RESCUE and MATERIAL HANDLING AERIAL TRUCKS.

rowdy2133
10-27-2008, 03:19 AM
I would definitely agree with The Old Lineman, find out what the hands want to learn about. I am the safety chairman in my yard, and I have found that short and simple is best sometimes, if you read out of your a.p.m. for an hour, people doze off and dont learn anything! I had one of our tree contractors come in last month and give a 20 minute presentation on chain saw safety and operation, the guys loved it, one of those things we use everyday, but dont realize how many things we are doing wrong! Good luck, and if you cant keep it interesting, keep it short!!

Oakland T-Man
10-27-2008, 04:25 PM
I agree with Rowdy 2133 and The Old Lineman. Along with the rules and regulations that we perform our duties with, a safety culture is formed with close knit communication with the group. I spent some time with Pac Power in Roseburg, OR. and enjoyed Safety presentations from local Forest Service personnel preparing us for work during winter months. We also invited foot Doctors with advice on foot care in the wet environment. I remember a great presentation from a Paramedic/Employee on back safety. This guy was from the Utah side and he made the safety meetings very funny and very enjoyable.
I strongly aggree with imput from the group with the newly turned out lineman and apprentices having active participation.

HEAVY DUTY
10-27-2008, 04:53 PM
Thanks For All The Input