PDA

View Full Version : Huge Wanna Be!!!!!!!

heescha
09-22-2008, 11:20 PM
I am a student at NDSU (majoring in construction engineering) and i am a huge wanna be high power lineman. I worked for the Watertown, SD Municiple utilities last summer and i was a power lineman assistant and i fell in love with all you guy's job. (even though i don't know the half of everything you all have to do). I'm in a huge debate over everything though...to be honest i'll put it all straight forward.

i'm going to school to be a construction engineer...they START out of college anywhere from $60,000 to $80,000. I love construction, i love engineering...but my heart truly feels like i want to be a power lineman (especially a heli lineman).

but, i'm engaged to a wonderful woman who i have been dating for 3 years and we will be getting married (sometime) soon. She has no desire to move colleges since she is just two years from graduating with her landscape architecture degree.

there are NO schools around fargo, nd or watertown, sd that i have found....

WHAT DO I DO!?!?!?!??!?!

-heescha

wtdoor67
09-23-2008, 09:49 AM
First just relax and look at things objectively. An engineering degree is a wonderful thing to have. Get it first and then see what you think. If then you still want to pursue lineman training then try it.

First off going to a school and paying for lineman training isn't the best way to go at it. Going to work for an entity as an apprentice and getting paid while you actually do the work is the smartest thing. It seems some people go to linemen schools and it works out for them but I think it is economically impractical.

Doing helicopter work is a very small segment of linework and probably should only be pursued after reaching Journeyman status. It's a little similar to being a rodeo rider but not being a cowboy. You can perform in one area but you're not exposed to the entire spectrum.

Stay after that degree. If you can work summers for someone as ground help that will give you some good experience and you can surely talk to the guys and come up with some good ideas.

The kid who posts on here regularly is the one who signs Hemingray Insulator. Now he finished HS this year and has started an IBEW apprentice in Wy. recently. Communicate with him some if you can and maybe he can give you some perspective on this.

IronLine
09-23-2008, 01:39 PM
Hahahaha, I agree with Door one most of that. It all depends on what you're looking for long-term man. Engineering IS a great field, and I have known some excellent engineers with a (gasp) real life perspective on linework. In otherwords they understand that it isn't a perfect friggin' world out there and sometimes things just don't work. But, if you're all about working outside, busting your ass, and doing what I think is the best job in the friggin' world, take another look into linework. Yeah, 60-80k a year outta school? Salary right? Look into 100k+ after about 4 years if not less in the trade. Heli work is an awesome field to get into, and the work is growing by the day. We are expanding the scope of services we offer, and in the Txmssion world at least, I think its the wave of the future. Construction, maintenance and inspection are all possibilities now with the 'copters. And yeah, I might not be a cowboy, but 30 years down the road this 'roper's body is gonna be in a little bit better shape to enjoy his retirement ;) (Seriously, I would recommend journeying out first, it will make your transition into the field a helluva lot easier than what I've gone through) Good luck man!

heescha
09-23-2008, 03:56 PM
ironline, are you saying heli guys make 100k a year! that would be the best of both worlds!!!!

wtdoor67
09-23-2008, 05:57 PM
If you're sharp enough to obtain an engineering degree, especially the math. etc. you would be dumb to pursue linework before doing this.

Be the guy who's flying the chopper, not the man climbing around on the tower.

When they speak of 100 K wages per yr. etc. make sure they tell you how much overtime you're working.

I know plenty of hands who exceed 100 K per yr. but they usually work mucho OT.

Keep in mind you don't start off making the big money as an apprentice lineman, it's usually awhile.

The best thing is to keep calm and put things in perspective. I believe Hemingray Insulator etc. started about 23 bucks per hr. In a big year to start with he'll probably gross maybe 60 to 70 K. We'll see.

Hemingray Insulators
09-23-2008, 07:23 PM
at this point i am makeing $3539.90 every 2 weeks. our work schedule is 8 days on at 12 hours a day then we get 6 days off. :D

wtdoor67
09-23-2008, 07:56 PM
Tell us how much you have averaged next spring after old man winter has sung his song. What are their weather provisions?

Building to those gas wells? Enjoy the good weather conditions while you can, you will have to break out the duofold underwear eventually.

Those hard hat ear covers that are elastic and red and are made to catch the edge of your hard hat and then pull down over the ears? They make a real good neck muffler. You'll see.

Any per diem?

Hemingray Insulators
09-23-2008, 08:10 PM
yes, $65/day per diem, and ya were buildin line to the gas wells. the first 4 or 5 days i sat on the digger truck operatin it hanging steel for a substation, 4 man crew to do the whole sub, me and another new apprentice that started the day i did, a 5th step aprentice and a journeyman/foreman. the last 3 days i did underground cable plowing at a different site, and now i have until next monday off.

wtdoor67
09-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Run across Ron Sanford yet? He should be close to retirement.

Next time you're through Glenrock, look up Ken Heron. He's newly retired and I believe he's in the phone book. Also S.D. (Birdseed) Applegate, he's in Casper and still working. They're all PP&L hands.

Sanford used to work out of the Hall.

Hemingray Insulators
09-23-2008, 10:38 PM
no, just sully, and i heard of a guy trapper but havent met him yet.... workin for outback power company which is out of great falls, MT

Hemingray Insulators
09-23-2008, 11:18 PM
Oh, and just as a "matter of fact" we do have defibrilators so i think clive will be pleased.

WCLR
09-24-2008, 01:30 AM
If you're sharp enough to obtain an engineering degree, especially the math. etc. you would be dumb to pursue linework before doing this.

Be the guy who's flying the chopper, not the man climbing around on the tower.

When they speak of 100 K wages per yr. etc. make sure they tell you how much overtime you're working.

I know plenty of hands who exceed 100 K per yr. but they usually work mucho OT.

Keep in mind you don't start off making the big money as an apprentice lineman, it's usually awhile.

The best thing is to keep calm and put things in perspective. I believe Hemingray Insulator etc. started about 23 bucks per hr. In a big year to start with he'll probably gross maybe 60 to 70 K. We'll see.

I agree. I'd go with the engineering degree honestly if you know you can make it. If you want to work on the skid, better get ready to travel. If you want to be married and all of that you should stick with the degree. If she doesnt want to travel and you work on the road, well that doesnt work out often. I know many linemen that are divorced (I know there are ones that work out, but I see more that dont around here).

Go and work for an utility as an engineer. Chopper work is alot of training and traveling, even for most that work for an utility doing it. I have a great friend doing the same for PG&E and he is traveling alot, but is home most nights or every night now but he's been there FOREVER.

heescha
09-25-2008, 12:29 PM
i know that an engineering degree would be great...but man, i'm too restless for that. I want a thrill, i want some danger, and i want honor and brotherhood. It seems like alot of "high up" people (engineers, architects, ect) are all so "snooty" and that they don't want to physically work. I want to work my tail off...i want that thrill

sms082
09-27-2008, 05:05 PM
I am a student at NDSU (majoring in construction engineering) and i am a huge wanna be high power lineman. I worked for the Watertown, SD Municiple utilities last summer and i was a power lineman assistant and i fell in love with all you guy's job. (even though i don't know the half of everything you all have to do). I'm in a huge debate over everything though...to be honest i'll put it all straight forward.

i'm going to school to be a construction engineer...they START out of college anywhere from $60,000 to $80,000. I love construction, i love engineering...but my heart truly feels like i want to be a power lineman (especially a heli lineman).

but, i'm engaged to a wonderful woman who i have been dating for 3 years and we will be getting married (sometime) soon. She has no desire to move colleges since she is just two years from graduating with her landscape architecture degree.

there are NO schools around fargo, nd or watertown, sd that i have found....

WHAT DO I DO!?!?!?!??!?!

-heeschafinish your degree!!!!! If you still have the calling to be an lineman-than do it... Yea the money is going to be an h*** of an lot less,.but if it is in your blood than you can not ingnore it. In the long run it will make you an better engineer. as far as helio work- be an journyman first!!!!!!!

heescha
10-03-2008, 04:41 PM
ok guys, thanks for all the advice...i just got back from a career fair and found out that otter tail power company hires construction engineers to over-see new power line construction and the building of power stations as well as the erection of wind mills, solar pannels, ext. So maybe i can have a little of both worlds? i hope!

i definetally want to stay connected to lineman somehow...you guys have one of the most honorable occupations in the world as far as i'm concerned...you are the unsung heros of our nation...thank you!