PDA

View Full Version : 40 and starting out

forbzy
10-06-2008, 06:16 PM
Looking for some advise. I live in Ontario Canada and worked in manufacturing for 15 years , the past 7 in supervision. Due to plant closure and slow down in manufacturing I forced to make a career change. ( not totally a bad thing)
I have made several cold calls to companies and in Ontario it seems there are to many electrical grads to choose from and being hired off the street without any schooling seems to be a thing of the past. I am currently accepted to the 2 year Power line Tech course at Cambrian College Sudbury starting in Jan 09.
Along with going back to college at 40 my biggest concern is my age. Will employers see my age as a negative as lineman trade is a very physical trade.
Any feed back would be greatly appreciated.

RWD
10-06-2008, 07:16 PM
From this end I would think it a plus. You are not going to be showing up after a party. You are not going to be rash and quick to action when caution is in order. You are going to have a better grasp on responsiblilty as well. There is a good chance you will stay in the company you start at while younger guys may drag up. The other part of our industry is that the hard physical labor is not as bad as it used to be. There are trucks that do most of the hard labor that used to be done by hand.

Another note is that the aging of america's linemen is a real thing. There are fewer folks getting into the trade right now. We are looking a a shortage of linehands in a few years. That is a good thing for us but a bad thing for our Countries.

Good luck you are choosing a rewarding career if you chose to keep a good attitude and don't let the little petty things bother you that younger less seasoned guys do.

RWD

LEAFMAN
10-06-2008, 07:55 PM
I work for a utility in ontario, and have met some of those kids from Cambrian. A couple have been really good, the others were way to immature. They thought they were just gonna jump in a bucket and work primary. Partying was more important than being on the job. Don't even think about your age, you're there to do a job!!

tomcat
10-07-2008, 06:08 AM
Well, speaking from experience, I was 36 when I got started(52 now). I really had no prblem with anyone.

I was physically in good shape so climbing school, although rather grueling and I was sore after two weeks I came out OK. I like to climb!!!

I believe employers are looking for people that they can count on regardless of age. The employers and the industry are going to be hurting for help in the very near future. Alot of us older lineman will be retiring soon. There is not a huge influx of people looking to get into the trade. It is hard work, but rewarding!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although it does more and more require computer skills it is not a job that can be completed from the comforts of a desk chair. Someone has to go do the work.

So, I say, don't be afraid, follow your dream or heart and GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!

You will not be disappointed.

Good Luck,
Tomcat

Linemansmom
10-08-2008, 09:51 AM
From this end I would think it a plus. You are not going to be showing up after a party. You are not going to be rash and quick to action when caution is in order. You are going to have a better grasp on responsiblilty as well. There is a good chance you will stay in the company you start at while younger guys may drag up. The other part of our industry is that the hard physical labor is not as bad as it used to be. There are trucks that do most of the hard labor that used to be done by hand.

Another note is that the aging of america's linemen is a real thing. There are fewer folks getting into the trade right now. We are looking a a shortage of linehands in a few years. That is a good thing for us but a bad thing for our Countries.

Good luck you are choosing a rewarding career if you chose to keep a good attitude and don't let the little petty things bother you that younger less seasoned guys do.

RWD

I agree! My brother made the move at 32 yrs, my son made the move at just before he turned 22. My nephew was interviewed and never got the follow up call. Guess he did not meet the needs, even though they are short on young guys.
You do have to go with the flow, and not afraid to work. Around here 'sloppy guys' get 'the boot' real fast, no matter how bad they need linemen, which is a GOOD thing!!
Of course, I do not have first hand knowledge, only know what I hear!

Bull Dog
10-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Believe me buddy I'm older than you. I spent 5 hrs in my hooks today. You can do it if you really want to.