PDA

View Full Version : Anyone work for SoCal Edison Need some Advise

sUrFfiji
11-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Hello All. I currently work for Edison and am coming up on my 6 months. Want to transfer out of my dept. to start the path of a Lineman. I took any job to get in and want to make sure I put in my transfer properly. The Dept I work in doesnlty exactly promote transfering out as I'm sure its hard for them to retain people. From what i've heard the are limited opportunities to transfer each year to Groundman A... So trying to collect all info I can to move in as quickly as possible for example anyone I can talk with in HR to get my name in, The Climbing School, What they (TDBU) are looking for in the people they hire, and anything that would help me stand out.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

oilfieldape
11-09-2008, 04:43 PM
I dont work for edsion but have been trying to get on with them. I tested for groundman in Sept and was told by hr that interviews may start in Jan 09. If you've already taken the CAST test i'm sure you'll get a groundman position since they hire within before going to the street.

sUrFfiji
11-09-2008, 04:54 PM
Nice, Thanks for the info. When you tested was your CAST test #5108. I've also been trying to find out if that's the same test the Groundman are taking. I came from the street but applied as a Temp. Laborer since so many apply for Groundman... Might be an alternate option for you

-surfiji

oilfieldape
11-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Yes 5108 (CAST) is the groundman test and also the entry level test for other positions. I work with a lineman who worked transmission in santa clarita with edison. He told me if you've gone to a lineman college and have worked in the lineman trade it would be a big advantage in the interview.

sUrFfiji
11-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Thanks oilfieldape! Appreciate the response. Will drink a beer in your honor. Thanks for the help.

ready2go
11-13-2008, 11:15 PM
man i am getting tired of waiting for them. i took my g-man test about 2 yrs ago, interviewed in jan of this yr and the guy i interviewed with said i did very well (of course i dont remember his name) and still have heard nothing. went to nlc been working as an apprentice for non union for 1 yrs and getting tired of waiting. so u lucky that ur in with them.

oilfieldape
11-14-2008, 08:12 AM
Did you put that you were available to work anywhere in Southern CA?

ready2go
11-21-2008, 10:01 PM
ya i did. and still no response

DM11
12-17-2008, 06:09 PM
I currently work for SCE and have for 5 yrs I am currently a Journeymen electrician I've had a transfer in for 2 yrs unfortunately the unit seniority gets you. So all meter readers are ahead of you regardless of time its a business unit thing. Recently edison also signed an agreement with the union that screwed its employees by allowing those who have attended outside schools priority using another classification to allow outside people to hire in over CSBU employees and pushing those in line further back. Your best bet is to sign up with a school and do your time their, unfortunately no amount of practice or training within edison is relevant. On a side note I kept my transfer current attended a climbing school within edison, continued to practice with current instructors and have a considerable amount of training which overlaps with lineman training but its useless within the company sorry to shatter your hopes but I have fought this for 2 yrs and have continued to fall farther back on the transfer list.
Good luck and let me know if you find a way in

jmorehouse24
12-18-2008, 08:58 PM
I hired on about 7 months ago with SCE in the Santa Clarita Transmission Dept. I am not real sure about all the crap ya gotta go through to become a Groundman, but at our all hands meeting on Wednesday, they did say they are putting on 40 groundman next year. So, hopefully your chances are descent.

oilfieldape
12-19-2008, 07:59 AM
Just a question for the edison guys, whats the difference between the two groundman classifications, and is the cast test used for both classifications. Thankyou for any info.

jmorehouse24
12-19-2008, 02:31 PM
In transmission there is only groundman A. Which is a groundman that is going to become an apprentice. In distribution there is a Groundman A and Groundman B. A Groundman B has to become a Groundman A, before he can become an apprentice. They both have to take the same tests.

oilfieldape
12-19-2008, 07:09 PM
thanx for the info

oilfieldape
12-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Is there a difference between groundman A and groundman A-3?

jmorehouse24
12-22-2008, 11:07 PM
Is there a difference between groundman A and groundman A-3?

I am not sure. I will ask some of the guys tomorrow and get back to ya.

flyhigh
01-19-2009, 05:28 PM
I know this is an old post, but maybe it will help in some way, from my understanding, groundman a climbs and b doesnt,simple, and I hear they are doing away with the b position. hope this helps.

oilfieldape
01-19-2009, 08:10 PM
any info helps, thanx for the input. I have an interview with SCE for the groundman A-3 position in a couple of weeks.

flyhigh
01-20-2009, 01:03 AM
Good Luck, just be yourself! I interviewed for the groundman A two months ago but scored to low on the interview, i just passed the test for meter reader in dec. so hopefully something comes together? the interview was nerve racking! ive worked with the same electrical co. since i was 17 that was 10 yrs ago, never been on an interview., as long as you say you've climbed before and show your a team player, your good, unless your already internal, if you are your golden, good luck again!!

oilfieldape
01-20-2009, 08:16 AM
I'm don't work there, I graduated NLC in june and went right to work for a small contractor doing distribution work(I'm always beggin to climb). As far as being a team player I worked in law enforcement for 8 eight year with a perfect history, I'm hoping that helps. Thanx for the replies!

swetngblts
01-22-2009, 12:33 PM
any info helps, thanx for the input. I have an interview with SCE for the groundman A-3 position in a couple of weeks.

You dirty dog:)

Well there was 20 of us that showed for the testing. Apparently only 35 applied, sent resume, or were qualified for the position and many didnt reserve their spot for the testing. I was expecting hundreds of people. That was the only testing session they are holding for that job listing.

Word is that your CAST test passing results will no longer be indefinately good after March 09' with SCE. One will have to retake the test if applying to any position that requires the CAST, after March. They are changing their whole testing system.

oilfieldape
01-22-2009, 07:43 PM
LMAO!

Wow, I figured there would of been a hell of a lot more peeps. Hopefully its true there hiring 40 groundman.

quksilvr06
01-22-2009, 09:40 PM
I just started working as a meter reader for sce in Nov thinking it is a quick way to get to be a groundman, well i was going to climbing school and quit. When i got in they had my sign something that says i have to wait 1 year before being able to transfer any other postions. 10 months left! Im the only one in the service center that im in that wants to be a lineman.....not to sure whats up with that. Less comp for me though!

flyhigh
01-23-2009, 01:42 AM
quksilver, do you have any info about them hiring readers? i passed my test in DEC. 08 and checked every box for service centers. does that help me? did you say you quit the 3 day climbing school? i ve talked to jman lineman, and readers, they say the school is pretty tough!

swetngblts
01-23-2009, 11:53 AM
I just started working as a meter reader for sce in Nov thinking it is a quick way to get to be a groundman, well i was going to climbing school and quit. When i got in they had my sign something that says i have to wait 1 year before being able to transfer any other postions. 10 months left! Im the only one in the service center that im in that wants to be a lineman.....not to sure whats up with that. Less comp for me though!

You did good, when the others find out there position may eventually be obsolete because of smart metering they will be scrambling. PG&E is on that course already, not sure if SCE is going that route or not.

swetngblts
01-23-2009, 11:58 AM
LMAO!

Wow, I figured there would of been a hell of a lot more peeps. Hopefully its true there hiring 40 groundman.

No shit, maybe there's alot of internals and/or people that have previously tested waiting in the pool. There was one SCE meter reader in there testing.

quksilvr06
01-24-2009, 11:37 AM
quksilver, do you have any info about them hiring readers? i passed my test in DEC. 08 and checked every box for service centers. does that help me? did you say you quit the 3 day climbing school? i ve talked to jman lineman, and readers, they say the school is pretty tough!

They should be hiring soon, since its January and the new budget comes out. It took me 4 months to get hired here and its a long process from sending in the app to starting to work. most guys where i'm at said to took them a year to two years to get in. I was going to the climbing school for about 2 months when edison called, and Mr. Burnett told me to take the job, so i took it and now i'm just waiting again. By the way that school was tough alot tougher than i thought it would be, but well worth it!

flyhigh
01-24-2009, 02:51 PM
That's awesome you got in quick! im in oc, but im more than willing to go to big creek, or blythe, anywhere! its been 3 months since the app, we'll see what happens. thanks again.

jmorehouse24
01-25-2009, 11:58 AM
I heard they are hiring lots of groundman this year. From what I heard they are hiring 40 groundman in Transmission alone. As far as climbing, in Transmission, none of the groundman are allowed to climb, unless under direct supervision. The difference between the 2 types of groundman, i think, is that one can become an apprentice and the other one is a permanent groundman.

swetngblts
02-07-2009, 10:51 AM
Do you guys have any inside information on whether there are current openings for the Groundman A3 position, Transmission or Distribution, and where those areas may be? Or, word on anything coming up soon?

Brad Lillie
02-07-2009, 02:28 PM
While i was looking on job boards i saw a few groundman positions in california. Not sure how close they are but here is one https://www2.sce.com/pljb/edison/careers/applicant/jobClick.jsp?count=1&id=5437 . I saw on myspace jobs or indeed a few more that might be what you are looking for.

Hope it helps,

Brad

DM11
02-08-2009, 02:17 PM
An A3 is a groundman A3 which allows you to get paid a third step groundman wage. I believe they hired meter readers as project temps which does hold you in a job title for a year or six months not sure. Afterwards you will have seniority on guys from other business units. Edison is broken into businees units first are CSBU for district groundman then all other units based on seniority. They recently made the A3 job classification to hire more qualified individuals because they have a high failure rate, they can specifically post a job for an A3 which bypasses business seniority and allows those with climbing school certificates to jump to the front of the line and receive the job based on company seniority; this was shot down. If you want to be on the fast track to become a lineman go to transmission the down side is they work less and it will be difficult to move to a district yard afterwards you will be in a tdbu business unit. CSBU district more hours more money same hourly wage, TDBU transmission less hours same wage. Friendly advice would be to wait for a district job I know the wait sucks but it will work out eventually. Most transmission guys will tell you this but if you have an opportunity ask around most lineman are happy to talk to you about this.

DM11
02-08-2009, 02:40 PM
For those in Edison the four day school is difficult they are trying to weed you out of my class of 22, 6 passed They have a 30% pass rate.
There are a couple tests on the first day first they weigh you you must be less than 280 then they have you lift a cross arm and walk 30 yards I don't believe that anyone failed here. They place 55lbs on a handline in a nose bag have you raise it 55ft hold for 20 seconds then bring it down under control. They then rig up a fully dressed cross arm have you lift it 35ft hold it 20 seconds then down under control. The last is to climb a 35ft pole with pole steps belt off at the top and lean back hands like your on a cross. The majority make it through these tests then you start climbing. The first/second day climbing is up down I think you might make it to the top once or twice the first day but the second you are climbing to the top they also teach you how to circle, the second day they show you how to go over a cross arm. The majority of the people are weeded out these days, from what I see most claim injuries but I think they just don't want to complete it, it becomes very difficult. The third day I believe was more of the same and the last day is testing you will climb up over a cross arm to the top circle the pole both ways and then back down over the cross arm and a written test. Then its all over and you continue to wait for your job if you make it to the fourth day you're probably gonna make it that is also the easiest day. The best things you can do is build your cardio and buy good boots if your serious the boots pay off I did not buy good boots every step was painful, also learn to adjust your gaffs you borrow theirs but those cut into the back of my thighs cause they were adjusted to high. Ask around see if one of the lineman on your yards will help you practice this would be beneficial as you progress the climbing gets easier.

swetngblts
02-08-2009, 02:45 PM
They recently made the A3 job classification to hire more qualified individuals because they have a high failure rate, they can specifically post a job for an A3 which bypasses business seniority and allows those with climbing school certificates to jump to the front of the line and receive the job based on company seniority; this was shot down.

By shotdown are you saying an A3 will not bypass senority and will sit in the pool with previous candidates that have passed their interviews?

DM11
02-08-2009, 07:17 PM
They went back to finding groundmanbased on seniority if you have the 600 hr class you will be an A3 if or when you are offered the groundman position

oilfieldape
02-08-2009, 07:40 PM
From what I have heard they will hire both groundman A's and A3's. The area I'm trying to go to is going to hire possibly four A3's and five groundman A's.

Electricnick
02-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Hey oilfieldape,

What area are you looking to get to? How is SCE service territory divided up? I'm in the Kern County area and am hoping to get on somewhere near here within the next year or so.

oilfieldape
02-08-2009, 09:25 PM
I live in Bakersfield, I put in for multiple areas but hoping to get tulare,inyo or mono county.

Electricnick
02-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Hey Bro,

When you interviewed, was it for the Electrical Groundworker posting that is on SCE's web site right now? Did you go to Tulare for your interview or down to Rosemead?

oilfieldape
02-08-2009, 09:43 PM
I went to Rosemead and yes it was for the electrical groundworker

flyhigh
02-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Hey DM11, thanks for the info on the edison climbing school, I have been wondering what it consisted of, you mentioned about them weighing you in, i weigh 290, Im a bigger guy but i can move, were there any bigger guys in your class, and if there were did they fail out?

sUrFfiji
02-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Hey Guys I have the 4 day climbing class starting tomorrow Feb 24th. I'll try and find out more about the hiring process if I make it thru. I'll Keep you posted.

oilfieldape
02-24-2009, 07:16 AM
Good Luck! What yard are you going to start at?

swetngblts
03-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Got hired on in Transmission as an A3. Start compliance training tomorrow.:)

jmorehouse24
03-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Which yard did they put you in?

israelmarquez
03-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks oilfieldape! Appreciate the response. Will drink a beer in your honor. Thanks for the help.

Oilfieldape I understand you tested for edison for a groundworker position prior to testing did u have or had any climming certification or attended any school in order to get invited to test?

oilfieldape
03-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Yes, I attended NLC and currently work for a contractor maintaining and building distribution lines. I applied for both the groundman A and the groundman A-3 positions with SCE. I have taken the caste test which qualified me to interview for both positions. Interviewed for the A-3 and awaiting to interview for the A classification.

israelmarquez
03-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Yes, I attended NLC and currently work for a contractor maintaining and building distribution lines. I applied for both the groundman A and the groundman A-3 positions with SCE. I have taken the caste test which qualified me to interview for both positions. Interviewed for the A-3 and awaiting to interview for the A classification.

Tanx for the info, I to will be attending NLC in July sounds like its a very good school. I understand your from Bakersfield I my self live in Bakersfield, do u by any chanse work for any local outfitt here if u don't mind me asking?

west coast hand
03-20-2009, 02:30 PM
worked for them for 2 months had to quit could'nt take it. really political a BIG JOKE REALLY

oilfieldape
03-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Israel check your pm