PDA

View Full Version : mutual aid restoration

tryan
12-15-2008, 11:06 AM
Looking for feed back on mutual aid storm restoration agreements out there such as rate of i.e.(time and one half vs. double time ) or conditions. Most utilities around midwest are all hours worked time and one half once declared a storm.

lineleader
12-15-2008, 07:36 PM
here in akron,our contract with ohio edison,part of first energy,we get double time the minute we arrive for the 'out of town' call.usually a max of 16 hrs a day. some of the host companies have stated they would like us to work longer, but we feel anything over 16 is inviting an accident to occur. 16 hrs dbl.time,all meals paid and rooms also paid for. Local 126,UWUA

LINCRW
12-20-2008, 07:41 AM
Lineleader,
you guys came down to Fla to help us after Ivan. Ya'll did a great job, and 16 hours a day was plenty. I don't know if you were on that crew or not, but my hats off to everyone who was.

CenterPointEX
01-03-2009, 02:22 PM
We had a situation after Ike whre some out of state contractors were getting paid more than local hands. The Local hands were told they would never again work on CenterPoint Property if they drug up and went to those out of state contractors... Some of them did... after a couple of days they were laid off... and they ended up haveing to work out of a different local? I don't know how they got away with this... but it happened,

Stinger
01-04-2009, 08:07 AM
We as contractors come into areas hit by storms under contract by our employer and the utility. The lineman has nothing to do with the terms of the contract. Most of the time it is at double time rate for either a 16 or 18 hr day, then 8 or 6 hours pillow time. If there are any union issues, we fall under the jurisdiction of the local union, not our home local. With that being said, when the utilities work storm, you get 1.5 24/7. If you do the math, you are getting just about the same as a man on DBL time. So my question would be why jump to a dbl time outfit for short range storm work when you have a full time utility job with good pay and benifiets. If you watch how the outfits arrive in your effected area you will notice that as soon as thing are caught-up to being manageable, the union contractors are the first to be released.

Orgnizdlbr
01-04-2009, 09:26 AM
For utility its whatever has been agreed to in the CBA. Ours is 2x anytime on mutual aid. Anytime on our own property where an overnight stay is required, all hours 2x.

boogerman
01-04-2009, 10:08 AM
It hurts me to even reply to this our rate is so pathetic. We at Allegheny Power represented by Utilitly Workers union are given a 3 or 5% increase above our normal rate when on foreign property, nothing when we work for our own company out of town, and we can be forced to go. We normally will work 16 on 8 off. It really sucks to be making straight time while the host company workers are making double time the whole time we are there. Unless it falls on a weekend or holiday you dont do that well. Someday before I retire I would like to be in a real union, one not bought off by the company.

electric squirrel
01-04-2009, 11:48 AM
We had a situation after Ike whre some out of state contractors were getting paid more than local hands. The Local hands were told they would never again work on CenterPoint Property if they drug up and went to those out of state contractors... Some of them did... after a couple of days they were laid off... and they ended up haveing to work out of a different local? I don't know how they got away with this... but it happened,

I heard about that shit too, I was there , cleared out of Detroit for a small contractor. We hit Orleans and Grand Isle then Houston, shopped at the "Dog track".Had a couple local guys that got on with us, decent hands. They where in hog heaven makin' Detroit scale.Lots of things that didn't make sense happened.My first Hurricane so I kinda went with the flow,told GF I was goin' home and he begged me to stay,offered me California scale,(my local)so I spent 3 weeks on 7-16's at $94.76 pushing a crew with a lineman from home and two laid back old biker types. Cool ass crew we kicked ass everyday and had a BUNCH of fun, never a worry or a spat, hell of a way to go to my first hurricane!!! Had every warm body they could find though,every contractor I talked too was the same way, never seen so many "grunts" and "truckdrivers " in my life. Had the Birddog tell us about the centerpoint thing,in case some of their guys came over. CPEX what ever happened to the ap that got the handline sheave in the primary, was he ok??? E.S.:cool: