PDA

View Full Version : contoured shanks?

swetngblts
12-25-2008, 09:08 PM
What's the purpose of the contour?

I have the Buckingham Titanium non-contour shanks, just curious about the contoured.

Also, what's up with straight and offset stirrups?

Chris
12-26-2008, 09:43 AM
I'm not sure about contoured and I thought the straight and offset was in the gaff but I'm not that observant heh. But with straight it's just like it sounds straight. You know how they say don't put your knees against the pole? Well with offset you have a little more safety cushion. You still can't put your knees on the pole. Every new climber out in the field I teach I have them stand a foot off the ground then put knees on the pole to show them not to do that.

bones
12-26-2008, 12:55 PM
Get the offset non-contoured if you plan on getting pads with a steel "C" in them.

Get the offset contoured if you plan on getting traditional pads.

Get the straight if you enjoy pain and knee problems. Don't laugh, some people do:rolleyes:

swetngblts
12-27-2008, 02:17 PM
I have the cushioned nylon 4" velcro pads w/metal "C" insert in the leather. My climbers are non-contoured with an offset stirrup.

Apparently they also come with a twist too which is seperate from the offset.

What's the twist for?

BigClive
12-27-2008, 07:22 PM
My guess is that these different styles are all to cater for the myriad of different shaped feet and legs there are. The standard straight shank might do for most average people, but for those with big ankles and calves the offsets and angles might make life a lot more comfortable and the spike to pole angle more favourable.