PDA

View Full Version : CMP negotiation

mainline
03-12-2009, 06:40 PM
Let me just discourage any of you that are dumb enough to think about working for CMP. We are now starting our negotiations with the company. The list of items they want talk about are, freezing the pension of people who are under 35. They want to eliminate it for new hires, they want to mess with retiree health care. They want to cut our rest time after working during off shift times, while at the same time requiring a call out response rate of 50%. They want us to increase the amount we pay for medical insurance, we already pay $85 a week for top tier coverage. To add insult to injury they want to take our sick time bank. To top it off we make it 26.16 an hour. If you choose to be employed here you have been warned. Please spread the word. Mainline

mx-5
03-12-2009, 07:45 PM
your neg team needs to tell your company to get real and walk out..:p

mainline
03-12-2009, 08:23 PM
No shit that is what I said to our Chief Steward. You can't negotiate this stuff.

graybeard
03-12-2009, 09:27 PM
I think the company's are all banding together because I've heard that they thats what the industry is going to. Thia sure sounds like what MEC is asking for also.

Stinger
03-15-2009, 09:07 AM
CMP is where Dominion Power was about 8 years ago in trying to cut pensions and health care to active and retired people. They ( workers) basically won based on the age of the work force. These are tough times to be negotiating with the economy in the tank. But, if you look at the stock market, none of these utilities are loosing any money. You do not see them in the bailout line, thats becuase they think we should bail them out by giving up wages and benifiets. This is not going to happen. We need to stand our ground and be united. Those of us who are union contractors need to support our union brothers at the local utilities, wether they are IBEW or UWA, etc. I have worked a couple of storms this year with CMP. They are hard working dedicated hands and they deserve better pay and benifiets. You would not believe the areas these guys have to take care of with the small size of their service centers. I know I will not see it in my lifetime, but it is getting to the point where we need a national lineman only union. Deal with one for the entire trade, we will have to power to negotiate fair pay and benifiets for all and not be at the mercy of the power companies. It amazes me that these companies employ all this brain power to make thing work for profit, yet they do not want to take care of their most importnt asset the the company has- the hands that keep the meters turning for revenue.

mainline
03-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Amen to the national lineman's union. The IBEW has become so diverse in its organizing now that we have lost our focus. Some days it feels as if the acronym should be IBE&CW. Lineman are now outnumbered at the utilities they work at by clerical and support staff. Every worker should have the right to organize, but the unions need to focus on their core constituency. We now have major contractual issues on work conditions decided by a membership who they don't impact. Hopefully all of us here at CMP can see the way the company uses this as leverage against us and stick together. If not things need to change. Wish us luck, and the will to unite.

loodvig
03-15-2009, 09:59 AM
$26.16 an hour? 25 years ago I started with a contractor for $23.00 an hour! And with the high sales tax that Maine has and all I can say is good luck!

wtdoor67
03-16-2009, 05:56 PM
$26.16, well shoot I thought Ok. was pitiful. I retired 2 yrs. ago from PSO, and Journeymen were making $28.39 then. Now I know they're making close to 31. The quality of life must be good up there in Maine.

Well you know of course the CEO probably only makes about 100 K. Right?

Can you get a copy of the exec's pay scales? That's a good item to have sometimes. If nothing else it pisses everybody off.

mainline
03-17-2009, 04:47 PM
Swamp, I don't think that we should break away from the IBEW. I think that we can accomplish the same thing by reorganizing bargaining units so that they truly serve those they represent. There is no reason utility clerical people can't be part of the IBEW. They should negotiate separate contracts so that people actually have a better shot at the things they think are important being discussed and dealt with in an equitable way. This would benefit all of us in the long run.

wtdoor67
03-18-2009, 03:06 PM
We have whipped this old horse before. A LINEMAN IS THE MOST COMMON CLASSIFICATION. AS LONG AS THERE ARE LARGE NUMBERS OF NON-UNION LINEMAN IT IS EXCEEDINGLY HARD TO MAKE A STRIKE WORK. THE ONLY WAY THIS IDEA WOULD WORK IS IF 99.9% IF LINEMEN WERE ORGANIZED. AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN FOR MANY MOONS, OR SNOWS OR FORTNITES OR EONS, OR GENERATIONS OR CENTURIES.

Figurehead
03-19-2009, 03:55 AM
We start negotiations again this summer and have been preparing for a couple months now. Our unit has warehousemen, meter readers, generation electricians, substation electricians and linemen +/- 50 hands. Question? - How many wiremen are at your utility? We have 17 linemen and 15 wiremen in our transmission & distribution department. The wiremen are doing work traditionally performed by linemen, ie. sub checks, relays, dobling bushings, transformer rebuilds, oil r&r, meter programming. We have different show ups, supervisors, lay outs. Seems we are already divided by the company and it's damn difficult to bridge the "our" work "your" work divide. Our bargaining unit is already fragmented. So- how much of your utility work is done by linemen?

mx-5
03-19-2009, 06:11 AM
"We start negotiations again this summer and have been preparing for a couple months now."....get your lube ready...:rolleyes:

mainline
03-20-2009, 04:29 PM
We have no wiremen here. Linemen do linework, meter men do meter work, station techs do stations work. We don't have hybrid rate here. That sounds like a good way to cut down on linemen. The companies maybe run by scumbags but they are not dumb.

mainline
04-02-2009, 05:05 PM
We just got another update from the negotiations. The company comptroller was brought in and stated that the company was strapped for cash because of many different factors including the debt they are going to take on in order to complete a huge 345 project. They are committed to getting pensions and benefits, and have made no moves towards a middle ground. Looks like it may be time to stand up or lose it all, hopefully everyone here realizes this. Wish us luck.

smooth01
04-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Looks like all these company's went to the same "Negotiating Convention." They all are wanting the same thing,"more money in corporate pockets."Hell, at Mid Am Energy,they won't even buy a $8.00 box of donuts for the monthly safety mtgs,Thats about as rat as weevy is.

Figurehead
04-03-2009, 02:11 AM
I hope you can hang on to what you have and gain some. Has a federal mediator from FMCS ever gotten involved and would it help now?

mainline
04-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Figurehead could you explain that a little, how do you get that ball rolling? PM me if you don't mind and you have the time. Thanks.

Dshutter
04-05-2009, 12:09 AM
Local 36 Rochester NY,same company as cmp.was Energy East,new owners Eberdrola.weve been negotiating since June of 08.You have to be careful what you say on these posts,because the company reads these.thier doing the same to us,take away benefits,and give nothing in return,so much for zero sum gains,thats a joke too.They claim they cant give us a fair contract because of the economy,but what was thier excuse in June of 08.They want us to take cuts at our level,but you never here about cuts at thier level.This is a question for Swamp rat,why is it alright for an executives salary and benefits to increase,in a publicly owned company,while the workers,benefits and wages stay stagnant,or decrease,like they have over the last eight years.WE DONT MAKE NO MONEY,AINT GOT NO BENEFITS BUT WE GOT OUR GUNS AND OUR BIBLES right Swamp rat,and you got the rat part right!No offense rat,I just dont like rats.Bottom line is that RGE,CMP and NYSEG have to support each other,we have to put all the bullshit aside! and realize were all in this together!

mx-5
04-05-2009, 06:51 AM
let them read these post's...f-k these cheap greedy pieces of sh$t lying ass company's..they'll know how pissed off we are and we know there game....f-k them..:mad:

mainline
04-05-2009, 10:47 AM
Dshutter, I feel for you guys, I worked out there during the ice storm a few years ago. The lineman from your company who I worked with were a nice bunch of guys, as were the guys from NYSEG. I don't say anything on here that I don't want the company to see. Managment already knows who I am on here. What can you do they have their ears anyway. We know they hear just about everything that is said. That being said I wish you luck with your negotiations. I can say however that I don't think we will ever get fair contracts from this company unless we take them, they don't want to bargain fairly. Good luck man we will need it. MX-5 I agree F-Em if they want motivated loyal employees they should treat us with respect, compensate us adequately, and not screw with our benefits.

tolex42
04-05-2009, 08:51 PM
Dshutter, I feel for you guys, I worked out there during the ice storm a few years ago. The lineman from your company who I worked with were a nice bunch of guys, as were the guys from NYSEG. I don't say anything on here that I don't want the company to see. Managment already knows who I am on here. What can you do they have their ears anyway. We know they hear just about everything that is said. That being said I wish you luck with your negotiations. I can say however that I don't think we will ever get fair contracts from this company unless we take them, they don't want to bargain fairly. Good luck man we will need it. MX-5 I agree F-Em if they want motivated loyal employees they should treat us with respect, compensate us adequately, and not screw with our benefits.

Why are linemen's wages and benifits under attack?

It is because linemen are the last well paid blue collar workers in America. Business has attacked the compensation of so many others before us i.e; telephone employees, post office employees, air traffic controlers, factory jobs and many more.

Is it because we earn more then those college grads., is it jealousy or just greed? Why is it that workers wages barely keep up with inflation while executives earn a fortune yearly.

Linemen's jobs haven't been affected to much by illegal imigrants, yet, but they will appear and drive our wages and benifits even lower.

Ever since Reagan came into office workers have been slipping further behind.

AND STILL PEOPLE SAY WE DON'T NEED UNIONS!

mainline
04-08-2009, 06:35 PM
People who say we con't need unions are living in a dream world. Having worked non-union I can attest to the benefits of a union. I would never go back and I am not someone who needs protection because I'm lazy. You just stand a better chance when you have a united front.

mainline
04-23-2009, 07:23 PM
CMP came out with their economic package. We haven't gotten all of the details yet, but they want a 5 year contract with 2% a year. All I can say is this is crap. With all of the stuff they want to take away this is pathetic. I will post all of the details of the company offer when I get them. Any members who read this,realize the company is deadly serious. Don't believe those in managment who say this is just a starting position. They want your bennies, they don't want to pay you a fair wage. They want you to work more. None of this stuff is even halfway acceptable. Lets grow a set and go out. If we lose now we might as well just throw in the towel. Don't vote in another garbage contract, VOTE NO!!!!!!

splicerjohn
04-23-2009, 08:50 PM
2% seems to be the standard scraps they all are throwing at us while they give themselves 10% minimum

oldrosy
04-23-2009, 09:04 PM
I worked for a contractor (back in the late 80s) on CMP and PSNH projects, bback then Public Service had quite a bit better deal than CMP. Is that still true? Things are tight everywhere, Smooth01 mentioned no more 8$donuts at safety meetings...hell we dont even have safety meetings anymore

mainline
04-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Rosy, PSNH is about 6.00 and hour over us right now. Same local. Where you with whitco? Maine is a sink whole, once you get in it is tough to get out.

Stinger
04-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Maineline- NSTAR got 4% a year on a 3 year contract. Off Target and Coot could not keep up with the work if you strike. No union contractors will go accross the line, the way y'all spread out I think a strike will cripple CMP to give in for what you want. Good luck brother.

mx-5
04-25-2009, 06:26 PM
share what ever it is your smoking....:confused:

mainline
04-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Stinger, I wish I would agree with you, but I have my doubts. I don't think On-Target will cross, Cootz might but they don't have enough guys, Cianbro will in heart beat but they don't have many guys. What I worry about is companies like Pike, or PRG Group that all they do is break strikes. I really don't give a shit if they try to staff scab or not I'm voting no. The company now has backed off on getting current employees pensions. Now they only want to get rid of it for new hires. That is bullshit, we shouldn't give it up for anyone. If we do it, will bite us in the ass later, not to mention it is unfair. They have decided to stick to trying to freeze retiree medical benefits at current contributions for all employees who retire after July 1 2010. They want all linemen to report for unplanned outages a minimum of 30% of calls regardless of sickness, injury, or vacation. In some of our districts guys are working 800 plus hours of OT and still only have a 20% reporting rate. What is a reasonable amount of OT, 1200, 1400, 1500. The list goes on and on, I honestly think that there is a real and deep seated anger at the company. People are sick of the lip service we receive from or president, and VP of operations. The last empty gesture was letters and hats after telling us how bad they wanted to screw us. We sent them back. On that note thanks for the support Stinger, hopefully all goes well, if not who knows I may have the pleasure of working with you in the not to distant future.

blik
04-28-2009, 11:47 AM
On-Target and JCR crossed when N-Star went out.

mainline
04-28-2009, 05:44 PM
I hadn't even thought of JCR.

loodvig
04-28-2009, 07:00 PM
I hadn't even thought of JCR.

Don't ever turn your back on JCR!

oldrosy
04-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Rosy, PSNH is about 6.00 and hour over us right now. Same local. Where you with whitco? Maine is a sink whole, once you get in it is tough to get out.

No I was an outfit called Heatleys.Worked mostly around Biddeford,Old Orchard Beach, and a little for PSNH . I left Maine after Hugo, hooked up with a coop, and been fairly happy ever since. We just went thru a rough negotiation. We have binding arbitration here so no stike option. That might work to your advantage out there with PSNH that much higher. Didn't do much for us tho.

mainline
05-03-2009, 09:24 AM
Rosy, I know one of the Heatleys. I will find out today what they want to try to jam down our throats. We have had a FMCS mediator involved, but it doesn't sound like she made much headway. Now it is just an up or down vote.

oldrosy
05-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Working for thta outfit was the funnest job I ever had. Those boys played just as hard as they worked and they worked hard. They(heatley Bros) are still the best linemen I have ever run across. Good luck with your contract

mainline
05-04-2009, 06:08 PM
A strike vote is the only reasonable response. They want new hire pension, and retiree benefits. They want to freeze existing employees retirement medical benefits at 2013 levels. They want medical increases that will potentially eat up the proposed pay increases. They proposed minor individual pay increases for line and stations classifications aimed at dividing the membership. People are pissed, and I think they are pissed enough to go out. Wish us luck and a reject and strike vote.

KingRat
05-04-2009, 08:34 PM
On-Target and JCR crossed when N-Star went out.
We left the property when they went out-and only responded when that storm hit- storm restoration only.

KingRat
05-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Don't ever turn your back on JCR!

We will not sneak up on you-thats not our style-you will know were there. Have not heard anything about CMP contract talks.

mainline
05-05-2009, 04:32 PM
KingRat, I'm glad to hear that you haven't heard anything from CMP, and I hope you wouldn't cross. Tomorrow we vote. I will post the results when I find out.

mainline
05-06-2009, 06:25 PM
Today we voted, it was a tense day. The company took our keys, there was talk of a lockout. We took all, and I do mean all of our rigging home. I just received the total, 70% to 30% REJECT AND STRIKE. The membership has stood up and said that this contract is shit. At this moment I am more proud to be union than I have ever been. I would like to thank all of my brothers and sisters who have worked so hard and risked so much. I know this is but a first step, but it shows that we are not sheep and we will not willingly give up our benefits. We now have a contract extension through next week, wish us luck. UNITED WE STAND.

Orgnizdlbr
05-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Good Luck Brother!!!!! A contract extension, interesting, I hope its a signed agreement to extend. Hopefully the employer will come to it's senses and understand you are united and now bargain in good faith.

KingRat
05-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Today we voted, it was a tense day. The company took our keys, there was talk of a lockout. We took all, and I do mean all of our rigging home. I just received the total, 70% to 30% REJECT AND STRIKE. The membership has stood up and said that this contract is shit. At this moment I am more proud to be union than I have ever been. I would like to thank all of my brothers and sisters who have worked so hard and risked so much. I know this is but a first step, but it shows that we are not sheep and we will not willingly give up our benefits. We now have a contract extension through next week, wish us luck. UNITED WE STAND.
Nice to see somebody stand up for something and not just talk about it or complain-they will come back with a better offer and we will not cross any picket lines.

johnbellamy
05-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Much respect to you and your Union brothers and sisters.

You walk it like you talk it.

Whatever the outcome know I appriciate the stand you all have takin, hope other's will follow your example.

Again thank you.

wtdoor67
05-06-2009, 09:58 PM
glad to see someone has some guts. Hope it sets a trend.

Figurehead
05-06-2009, 11:55 PM
Way to go Main to you and the whole bargaining unit.

squarewasher
05-07-2009, 07:10 AM
Hey Mainline,
"From all the brothers at Local 104,congratulation's"

loodvig
05-07-2009, 08:06 AM
Best of luck to all of you! Every other company is watching this. Let us know if any scabs show up and who they are!

blik
05-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Haven’t seen any ads on the web from the usual suspects, like HKA and PMG. They usually put out ads well in advance of any work stoppage to put the fear of God in you. Could be CMP missed that opportunity, but I think I would be more concerned with the home grown contractors that might cross in order to cozy up to the utility. You know who they are I don’t have to point them out.

LINEHAND
05-08-2009, 11:03 PM
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Stay United!!

mainline
05-09-2009, 09:49 AM
We have been checking with the non-union contractors in state, so far the linemen who work for them have not been told that they will be required to cross lines. On Target will be required to set poles as their contract has a clause requiring it, but that is it. This is one of the benefits of not alienating the non-union guys, you can keep open the lines of communication. Spirits are good, the no vote lent a true sense of solidarity. Public sentiment and news coverage has so far been positive to our side. None of us want to go out on strike, but we will if the company refuses to bargain fairly. Monday afternoon is the first bargaining session we should know fairly quickly what the companies position is. I will post updates. Thanks for all of the positive support. Yours in Solidarity, Mainline

loodvig
05-12-2009, 07:02 AM
Any update?

mainline
05-12-2009, 05:18 PM
We are waiting. They started back in today, but from the companies preparations I am not hopeful. They are trying to get managers who were lineman requalified, sad but true. It leads me to believe that the intend to stick to their guns. Thats life, if we have to go out we will. I am sorry for the customers, because this will impact them and none of us want that.

Figurehead
05-13-2009, 01:19 AM
If you men aren't locked out and are on strike will you/can you man the outages and trouble calls?

Stormtrooper
05-13-2009, 03:57 AM
Hey, really proud of you brothers and sisters. Moved north away from First Energy in Pa to get a life as a tramp and love it. They, Local 459, are in negotiations now and it really sucks for my ole buddies. Already there are suck as# linemen and apes willing to help the Company. Shame on them and later down the road they will realize the mistake. I have total disgust for any one who crosses the line for whatever reason......I also feel for their parents who have to look at their child and see who he or she has become. Pitiful, Pitiful,Pitiful......

mainline
05-13-2009, 04:51 PM
As of today, the company has made no substantial concessions. They have tried to put forward an enhanced 401k in place of the pension, but the amount they want match is not substantial enough. They still want 80/20 on medical with ridiculous caps, and the numbers they provide don't add up. We have made counter proposals, but the company has expressed no interest in them. Currently, the company is trying to organize managment to cover trouble and storms. We will not cross to assist, and I pity those who choose to. I think all things point to a breakdown in talks as our extension runs out on Friday at midnight and no significant headway has been made. I hope that an agreement can be reached, but I am not hopeful. We shall see. Wish us luck.

klymer
05-13-2009, 07:46 PM
I think the company is scared and don't have a real plan. Good luck running trouble and storm with management they can barely do it with a full staff. I hope they fail and you guys get what you deserve: Respect,More money, and Real benifits!! GOOD LINEMEN DON'T COME CHEAP!!!

johnnyhighliner
05-13-2009, 08:11 PM
IBEW local 499 & 109 had the same chance to perform like this union did and failed. We were faced with the same contract to the T and we voted it in. I want to commend your Union Brothers and Sisters for sticking to their guns and making the company renegotiate in good faith.

Our pu$$y ass union leaders and union lawyer failed us big time. We need change and hope in this union.

CONGRATS ON YOUR VICTORY, YOU HAVE SHOWED THE WORLD THE COUNTRY WHAT IS MEANT BY UNIONISM. THE COLLECTIVE WELL BEING OF ALL MEMBERS, NOT JUST THOSE OVER 50.

ENJOY THE FRUITS OF YOUR LABOR, YOU EARNED IT.

mainline
05-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the Congrats, but to be honest Buck we haven't earned shit yet other than the right to say we voted no. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress or lack there of. Mainline

snatch1
05-13-2009, 09:35 PM
:cool:I am a local 1837 lineman as well. I think it is time to start making our signs and roster for the picket lines. I never thought it would come to this. The next and last meeting is Friday and it is not looking good. Time will tell. Hang on for the ride!

klymer
05-14-2009, 04:30 PM
Looks like we are loading our guns, we want to go out. The company has not bargained in good faith. We voted to strike and thats exactly what we will do! We gave them a chance to make this right and they still won't give us whats fair. The corperate greed is unbeliveable, millions in bonuses to management from the sweat off our backs. This year we missed all of our holidays with our families and loved ones so customers could enjoy theres. It's time to be rewarded. Thanks for all of your support brothers and sisters

johnbellamy
05-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Go ahead, I believe you probably have a no strike clause. Information pickets against a company, let the consumer know what management is doing to screw their employees, You will find most electrical consumers always sides with the employees, because they depend on them in outages and know about cold wet nights with electricity. But you strike and the International will step in and seize your local.

Seize your local? What will the International do?

If a company tells you except, or we will replace you, what option do you have other than strike?

If the International won't back there members, then **** em. Other locals should support each other and send a message to the International, let em know enough, no more of the same old shit, we are workin class, we don't need fancy buildings, avdvertising, suits runnin a bunch of blue collar workers.

We need to get back to the basics, just guy's workin hard and watchin out for each other, stand united , just like in the beginning.

Edge
05-14-2009, 08:45 PM
That the sad thing the IO will try to lower the boom but WTF they are run by a bunch of narrowbacks that would rather push politics in Washington and unionize fuggin telecoms that worry about the gd LINEMAN than made the IBEW... thats the fugged up thing JB and Batts is right the IO will seize the local and treat the guys striking like they are deserters... It's times like this that we need to say "fu(k the no strike clause"... some time arbitration and lawyers and suits just needs to be flushed down the gd toilet....
sometimes the system just need to be shutdown...

Good luck guys your in my thoughts and prayers...

Solidarity,

Edge

and I've GOT to agree if the IO won't back their men then FU(K'em

Dshutter
05-14-2009, 09:58 PM
I dont exactly understand this seizing concept,I thought in order for a local union to strike,the strike would have to be sanctioned by the IO.The local had the vote,in favor of a strike why wouldnt the IO stand by the local,when the members refused the offer.It doesnt make much sense to me.Anyway,the members of local 36 are behind our Brothers in Maine 100%,were dealing with the same greedy,unscrupulous, double talking,unethical people too.Good Luck

scamplineman
05-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Go ahead, I believe you probably have a no strike clause. Information pickets against a company, let the consumer know what management is doing to screw their employees, You will find most electrical consumers always sides with the employees, because they depend on them in outages and know about cold wet nights with electricity. But you strike and the International will step in and seize your local.

Heh... Thats some GD organization you got there....
Local says walk..... International says work....

I'll stick to my conscience... It don't take money from me every week, and I haven't had to strike for my rights in the 30 years I been working.

Best of luck to you guys I sure hope you don't have to walk out... It may just be what they are hoping for.

mainline
05-15-2009, 06:50 PM
Hey Scamp, stick the non-union bullshit up your ass. We voted to reject and strike. The contract was so bad that the IO instantly gave us authorization to strike. We currently have a deadline of 12:00am tonight for the contract to expire. What we do is largely up to the company. From what we can see the company thinks that they can staff with managers. I say good luck. When I find out the result of the final day of negotiations I will let you guys know. Since everyone at the company knows who I am I will sign off with who I am. Sam Godin, Lineworker 1/C, Central Maine Power Co. Wish us luck, wish us solidarity, hope for a ****ing hurricane.

wtdoor67
05-15-2009, 07:07 PM
Good luck Sam.

I don't remember what they went on strike for, but once I worked a couple of weeks in Shreveport. They had struck the year before I think in about 1972. They said they had a great time one night. They showed me the pole downtown. It was about a 90 or 100 and had underbuild. It had burned off at the underbuild. What was funny they said was watching those management people put it back. Said some of them hadn't been in the tools for years and they had to tool up and hike that pole. I think it was 138 on top. Said it ate their lunch and then some. Said a bunch of them gathered across the street and heckled them while they struggled. Quite funny.

scamplineman
05-15-2009, 10:00 PM
Hey Scamp, stick the non-union bullshit up your ass. We voted to reject and strike. The contract was so bad that the IO instantly gave us authorization to strike. We currently have a deadline of 12:00am tonight for the contract to expire. What we do is largely up to the company. From what we can see the company thinks that they can staff with managers. I say good luck. When I find out the result of the final day of negotiations I will let you guys know. Since everyone at the company knows who I am I will sign off with who I am. Sam Godin, Lineworker 1/C, Central Maine Power Co. Wish us luck, wish us solidarity, hope for a ****ing hurricane.

NO need to get pissy with me Mainline... I didn't say it... BATTS did.

I don't wish anyone to have to do what you are doing... you chose your lifestyle... I chose mine

GL with your contract.

mainline
05-16-2009, 07:54 AM
Sorry Scamp, I was kind of testy the other day, please except my apologies. We will be working without a contract FOR NOW. I think there is more going on than we know about. I am not about to give up on the negotiating committee, but I am frustrated. Hopefully the folks at RGE and NYSEG are watching carefully. Wish us luck, I will update with any changes.

squarewasher
05-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Sorry Scamp, I was kind of testy the other day, please except my apologies. We will be working without a contract FOR NOW. I think there is more going on than we know about. I am not about to give up on the negotiating committee, but I am frustrated. Hopefully the folks at RGE and NYSEG are watching carefully. Wish us luck, I will update with any changes.

Hey Mainline, Any word on the negotiation and how they are going.

mainline
05-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Negotiations are not going. We are working without a contract. We may strike at any moment, or not for weeks, or months. Things are tense, but we are unified in our disgust with CMP's contract offer. We will not give in. A fair contract or no peace. I hope that all lineman union or non-union will respect what is going on and not play ball with CMP. You cut our throats and your own when you do it.

loodvig
06-03-2009, 07:55 AM
Anything new?

ClimbingFool
06-03-2009, 07:57 AM
Is your Business Rep making any arrangements for future talks or are things at a stand still? Rumor has it the I.O. isnt going to back a strike? Whose holding who up here?

snatch1
06-03-2009, 04:46 PM
We can still strike at anytime. We have the I.O. approval that part is all set. The company and the union are suppose to meet next week some time. The company is getting antsy and they want to settle this this month. We are having fun watching management sqirm right now. Still don't know which direction things will go next week.
The company has two unfair labor practice complaints on them right now.
Since then management has been quiet and has stopped harassing us.
We are still doing informational gathering(out front with signs) before work hours. We have a lot of good support still.

cantwait
06-03-2009, 07:19 PM
I have been surprised by the amount of support from the public we've gotten. I live in a rural mostly non-union area, but people are getting sick of corporate greed! Wish we could organize some more of them. Good Luck

CMPlinemanswife
06-05-2009, 01:48 PM
http://kennebecjournal.mainetoday.com/news/local/6431456.html

CMP seems to be trying to get the public to turn against the linemen by stating what linemen make a year. My husband is a lineman for cmp and He makes that with MANY hours of overtime.
I did not know if any of you would like to read this and the comments the public has made. Maybe some of you might even want to add some of your own two cents.

Thanks

koca
06-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Im sorry that the public is so narrow minded and foolish. The company posting linemans earnings is a low blow, there are many utilities in the country that have a base pay above $74,000 probably some very close to your location. The general public has no idea what we do if they think that you can replace lineman overnight or that CMP would have lineman lined up around the corner to take these jobs I can only say good luck!

johnbellamy
06-13-2009, 03:46 PM
Public support, they have no idea of the tasks lineman are subject to.

Everytime the see a new truck drive by, they say that is why my rates are so high, they have no concept of the big picture.

IBEW member's should be involved in community activities, coaching, volunteer work, charity activities, and many are.

The problem is the company you work for uses every oppertunity for plublicity, take what IBEW member's do and put there name to it.

Labor cost is a small piece of the pie when you look at the big picture, especially IBEW member's. We are a necassary liability to these companies, that's it. Understand that.

Most companies are so top heavy with non IBEW member's, paper pusher's, middle management. We all know that.

Owner's of companies will never grab the concept, the happier the employee is the more productive he is. The better tool's and equipment they have, the more proficient they are. The more trained that employee is, the more efficiant he is. Instead they want ass kisser's, they want you to jump when they say jump, they don't care what direction you jump, just jump.

I would like to thank all the member's who are taking this stand, the sacrifices they are making for all of us, it is greatly appriciated.

I also appriciate the updates, and you can let all these reader's here and poster's, that what is happening is real, people are out of work, Scab's, Rat's, are allowing companies to replace you, trying to starve you out, breakin down condition's, wages, and benifit's that will effect every lineman that is tryin to "PUT FOOD ON THE TABLE". It is not a fantasy world, and it is no fu$kin joke.

Stay strong Brother's and Sister's.

John Bellamy

Journeyman Lineman

Local 125.

snatch1
06-14-2009, 01:36 PM
Im sorry that the public is so narrow minded and foolish. The company posting linemans earnings is a low blow, there are many utilities in the country that have a base pay above $74,000 probably some very close to your location. The general public has no idea what we do if they think that you can replace lineman overnight or that CMP would have lineman lined up around the corner to take these jobs I can only say good luck!

They failed to mention that 74,000 is with about 600 hours of OT. Those hours can be done with basic storm work alone, minus planned ot and call-outs.A lot of us have 800 - 1200 hours without even trying. We do a lot more with less people than before. Our base pay is crap compared to the industry ave. And yes, you are right. The general public has no idea what we really do. They only see us at the coffee shops taking a short break after working all day and night. Or hooking up a new service. So they think thats all we do. Drive around all day and drink coffee.
The company is getting antsy. They want this done with. They hate the fact that we can walk at anytime. They did ask our Business Manager if he would let them know if we were going to walk. He laughed at them as he told them "no"lol. They are suppose to meet on Wed. Time to wait and see.

koca
06-14-2009, 08:06 PM
I want to wish you the best with your negotiations or strike what ever the case may be! I have been though contract negotiations in construction where if they cant be settled they are turned over to binding arbritation but never in the short time Ive been at the utility. I cant imagine what a nightmare it must be to have your company not bargin in good faith.

OLE' SORE KNEES
06-14-2009, 08:51 PM
It's a Damn Shame that companies no longer value thier employees but do thier CEO's!!!
FPL is the same as this outfit !!!

mainline
06-18-2009, 04:39 PM
We have been out doing our bit to make the public aware of our dispute since my last post. Different areas have taken different tactics, but we have been getting a fairly positive response from the public. That is going to be important coming up. Our side met with the company yesterday and presented the company with a proposal. The company made our folks sit around for 5 hours then came back and said they wouldn't move on anything. I guess that says it all. I will post when the next shoe drops.

klymer
06-18-2009, 09:00 PM
The only option left is to srike we voted to and it seems to be the only thing left to do. I hope if we do, the company suffers dearly because lord knows we have for to long. Lets all stick together and pull through this.

In solidarity, Union Brother

mainline
06-19-2009, 05:09 PM
I'm with you brother. Have faith in the negotiating committee, they have done a good job so far. See you on the line when it happens. Solidarity.

Figurehead
06-20-2009, 03:49 AM
Howdy Main, Still following this thread and your posts. Sounds like theres a line in the sand. Keep us posted.

ClimbingFool
06-21-2009, 07:56 AM
Sounds like CMP is a bunch of greedy B@#$%^rds just like FE that we are dealing with! Weve been on strike walking the picket line for a month now and no negotiations set. FE believes they can just starve us out or better yet replace all 530 workers across the state of Pennsylvania. Haha Just remember the book of Samuel where David eventually brought down Goliath brothers! We are all fighting Goliath and CORPORATE GREED and its time to stand up to it! Get prepared and fight these greedy B@#$%$ds! Solidarity!

mainline
06-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Rock on CL. I think all of the corporate execs are playing from the same play book. We are actually owned by Iberdrola, and managed by Energy East, so we are dealing with the same massive Corps. that everyone else is. Your courage has been in inspiration to a lot of people. I wish you luck as you have wished it to us. Victory through Solidarity.

ClimbingFool
06-24-2009, 04:48 PM
Thanks Mainline...We stand to lose alot of cash by striking but how much can a union membership take before you decide to make a stand? We all stand to lose alot of sweet cash by striking but enough is enough! You guys have to decide how much bull@#$t you can take and go from there. Im not in your shoes to know but it doesnt sound any greener at your company than it does at FE! Our membership of 530 people just couldnt take anymore and it was time. The contracts(2) that they offered were such garbage that they were voted down 93%. Thats very unheard of to get our area which covers half the state of Pennsylvania to be in SOLIDARITY that much! If you guys go out I wish you the best just stick together and youll be alright...Hell im enjoying my summer off....first one ive had off since high school 25 years ago!

mainline
06-24-2009, 06:54 PM
CL, I am all for making a stand, we had an informational demonstration today by the shop. We got lots of thumbs ups,and honks. The people out with signs represented every department. Very heartening indeed. Stick it to the bastards, I hope they come to their senses soon.

CPOPE
07-02-2009, 04:50 AM
CMP tells half-truths; lineworkers are heroes
E-mail a letter to the editor
06/28/2009
from the Kennebec Journal

This is my first ever letter to a newspaper.
I felt compelled to write, however because of the half-truths given to the citizens regarding Central Maine Power and its employees.

First, I was wondering how many people know that CMP is now owned by a Spanish company? Second, CMP states that the average line worker earns about $75,000 per year. But the company neglected to tell the public it takes 600 hours of overtime to earn that.

Folks, it seems, have a very short memory. I never forgot the icestorm, and how hard those line workers worked; they were our heroes then. It matters not, if it's over 100 degrees or 40 below with wind-chill, our lineworkers are out there assuring we get our power turned on as soon as possible.

The employees want nothing than to keep what they now have; they are not asking for a raise, although, I for one, feel they deserve one.

The CEOs need to realize it's not all about them and their bonuses; it's about an employee trying to earn a living.

Maria Steiner

Troy

mx-5
07-02-2009, 07:20 AM
great letter,short and to the point..however these company's are taking advantage of a depression like economy by saying lineman make 75 k,of course failing to mention how many hours of o.t it takes..they know there are millions of people out of work and won't get much sympathy from the average "Joe"..corporate America is ruthless,arrogant and couldn't care less about the worker or their families..greed and profit is what drives those bastards...period..it's going to be a tough road for us "common" worker but we must remain diligent and strong...

CPOPE
07-05-2009, 07:07 AM
By Shlomit Auciello The Herald Gazette Reporter

ROCKLAND (July 2): About a dozen Central Maine Power employees who are dissatisfied with the progress of current contract negotiations stood on Park Street (Route 1) in Rockland Wednesday afternoon in what they referred to as an educational picket line.

The rally was one of nine held throughout the state, according to the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Web site.

A handout given to interested passersby stated: "In 2008 CMP sent $55 million in profits to Ibedrola Company, the new Spanish owner of CMP." Central Maine Power workers held what they called an educational picket line on Wednesday to let customers know they are not satisfied with the way current contract negotiations are going. Pictured in the foreground are line workers Josh Shanholtzer of Jefferson, left, and Ken Wilson of Warren. (Photo by Shlomit Auciello)
http://knox.villagesoup.com/sharedpix/News/200907/P176202.jpg
Ken Wilson of Warren is a line worker for CMP. He said contract negotiations have been stalled since the end of April. "We've been working for the last two months without a contract," Wilson said.

According to Richard Leach of Lincolnville, a service worker for the power utility, CMP wants to exclude any new hires from certain benefits who are currently part of the compensation that CMP workers receive. Leach said the company wants to stop providing pensions and health care benefits for anyone who would be hired under the new contract.

According to Debbie Owen, office manager at IBEW local 1837, Leach is a steward of the union. "It was an informational demonstration by union members at several different CMP locations," Owen said of Wednesday's action.

Leach said CMP wants to change the formula that determines what each employee pays for health insurance. "Our insurance would probably triple in the next three to five years, like everybody else," Leach said.

Service worker Richard Leach of Lincolnville was one of about a dozen Central Maine Power employees picketing on the side of Route 1 in Rockland on Wednesday. (Photo by Shlomit Auciello)
http://knox.villagesoup.com/sharedpix/News/200907/P176203.jpg

The company responded last month with a June 4 statement that is posted at the CMP Web site. It said it "is committed to treating our employees fairly and providing safe, reliable, affordable electric service to our customers. We focus on every cost, because we know our customers do, too. Our challenge is to balance what we can offer employees with what customers can afford."

CMP said its work force was skilled and knowledgeable and worked long hours, "and our customers want them to be paid well for it. We agree. In 2008, our first-class line workers earned an average of $74,000 plus the value in their benefits. It’s our intent to continue providing job security, good wages, and generous health and retirement benefits in a new contract."

"We also recognize that these are extraordinary times for our customers," CMP said. "Nearly 20,000 Maine jobs disappeared in the past year, and state unemployment is approaching 8 percent. Businesses are closing; employees are being furloughed or laid off. Maine is facing a long-term adjustment in our economy that affects everyone."

On Wednesday afternoon in Rockland, workers were passing out a single-page leaflet that said CMP President Sarah Burns receives a salary of $300,000 plus an estimated $2 million in bonuses. Four vice presidents were also listed on the handout, with annual salaries averaging just under $150,000 each. The handout said executive bonuses were rumored to be three to six times the amount of salaries, but the company is not required to report those figures.

Currently, Wilson said, the company provides stipends to employees to help defray the cost of health insurance. He said these would be eliminated if the new contract were approved.

Picketers were asking members of the public to contact CMP at 800-750-4000 and Maine's Public Utilities Commission at 287-3831 to express their concern.

"We're loyal and we really like our customers," Leach said. "This is about corporate greed on the workers' backs."

CMP said in its June 4 statement that on May 15, the company proposed a fair offer to the IBEW leadership, including:

A five-year agreement on wages and benefits.

Guaranteed annual wage increases of 2.5 percent to 3 percent.

Company paid medical benefits of 80 percent for insurance for employees and their families.

A pension plan and 401(k) plan with a company match for current employees.

Continued medical insurance benefits for current employees when they retire.

An enhanced 401(k) with a company match for new employees in place of a defined-benefit pension.
CMP is a subsidiary of Energy East Corporation, and operates more than 25,000 miles of power lines and other facilities that deliver electricity to 80 percent of Maine’s population, according to the company. Energy East Corporation is a regional energy services and delivery company serving about three million customers throughout upstate New York and New England.

According to the IBEW Web site, its negotiating committee met on June 17 with CMP, presenting a counter-proposal to the company's May 15 offer. After five hours, the mediator told the union that CMP would not move on the offer, according to the IBEW.

climbing high
07-08-2009, 01:43 PM
As a uniom brother on strike at local 459. I wish you guys the best! Stick together and you will win! By the way what does cmp stand for.? Cant manage piss? best of luck men!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

snatch1
07-09-2009, 09:21 PM
CMP stands for Central Maine Power which is part of the Energy East Group, Which is owned by Iberdrola, a Spanish company. Big Corporate greed! We are local 1837

CPOPE
07-12-2009, 07:08 AM
BENTON -- Working without a contract, Central Maine Power Co. union employees plan a demonstration Tuesday outside the town office, before the company's meeting with the Planning Board regarding its plans to build a higher-voltage power line and a $59 million substation.
Bill Dunn, assistant business manager for IBEW Local 1837 Employees Union, said Friday that he hopes to have employees outside the town office by 6 p.m. The union represents about 650 CMP employees; Dunn did not know how many employees would show up in Benton Tuesday.

The planning board meets with CMP officials at 7, with no vote planned.

There are protest signs in the area, including one on the corner of Western Avenue and U.S. Route 201 in Fairfield.

Dunn said that the union is not necessarily opposed to the new line and substation.

"But we don't see how they can spend that much money on that project, and still cut benefits for employees," he said.

CMP employees have been without a contract since May 15, and negotiations have been ongoing since March, Dunn said.

Dunn said that the company wants to reduce medical benefits for retirees "to the point where it's not possible for them to maintain them." CMP also wants to eliminate the defined benefit pension plan and retiree medical benefits for all new hires, he said.

"The company gave its final offer on May 15, which the membership had rejected," Dunn said. "The members have had strike authorization since early May."

The union reports that CMP sent $55 million in profits last year to its new Spanish owner, Ibedrola.

CMP spokesman John Carroll pointed out that the company has offered a five-year contract with annual raises of between 2.5 and 3.5 percent. CMP will maintain family medical benefits of 80 percent and present employees will maintain their pension and 401(k) benefits, he said.

Carroll said that new employees will be offered an enhanced 401(k) with a "significant match."

Company profits, Carroll said, are beneficial to employees.

"If we didn't have a healthy company, we wouldn't be able to offer the benefits and wages that we do offer," he said.

Sharon Thompson, planning board chairwoman, said that no vote on the CMP application will be taken Tuesday night. A public hearing could be scheduled in August, she said.

Arthur Thompson, the town's code-enforcement officer, said that CMP has applied to build higher-voltage power lines along its transmission lines leading from Clinton. Those lines go from Albion Road across Gogan Road to Route 100, and eventually to Detroit, he said.

"Some are concerned about the electromagnetic field, but there's nothing major for opposition," Thompson said.

CMP hopes to begin construction of its new lines in late winter, Thompson said.

Carroll said that the CMP construction offer will have a positive impact on local taxes, and jobs.

"It's an extremely valuable investment that we're making in that town," he said. "It also will play a critical role in keeping the system reliable. We would hope that's a position the union shares."

brokenxarm
07-12-2009, 08:49 AM
Brothers and Sisters, It's imperative that as many of you as possible along with friends, neighbors, and family members show up for the demonstration. You'll be surprised on the impact it will make. We here in the 459 are dealing with a bastard of a company in fe. Company spokespeople will twist, mis-inform, and outright lie to the public as well as their customers. Don't lower yourself to the likes of local 777. They're non-exisitent as far as I'm concerned.

electriklady
07-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Has anyone ever mentioned to Mr. Carroll that the employees are a much more valuable investment that should be considered.... as a matter of fact, the employees should be their #1 concern.....as they can upgrade all the equipment that they want and if they dont retain their employees to service and maintain it, it is still the equivalent to "pissin in the wind"

Dam, these companies just dont GET IT. Of all equipment they own, their lines, their subs, their buildings, their vehicles, their corporate jets, they choose to sh*t on the thing that makes all that possible, their most valuable asset, their living breathing assets, their EMPLOYEES. Without them all their "Stuff" would soon turn into piles of dust.

In Solidarity,
Local 459 sister

mainline
07-12-2009, 10:26 AM
John Carroll is a dumb shit. Everyone here knows it. He has made more misstatements to the press during storms than you could count on all of your toes and fingers. He has caused us endless problems with the public and yet he keeps his job. Promoting the incompetent, the American way now.

35kvloadbreak
07-17-2009, 01:05 PM
I sure envy the pride our brother and sisters in IBEW 459 have after standing up for themselves! You all did the right thing! Now it is our turn. I wish we would make a move 1837! Its time to give Energy Beast an asskickin'!

loose neutral
07-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Hey brothers and sisters of local 1837. We here at local 459 are behind you all the way. Our stand created more solidarity than I've ever seen here, not only with us, but other brothers and sisters across the country. All eyes were on us and hopefully we opened some that were closed. First Enemy did the same things that Can't Manage Power is doing, lies upon lies upon lies. Do whatever you can to rally your communities around you. Corporate greed is at the root of all of the problems with our country, it needs to be brought to light and show the customers how it negatively affects them. Put pressure on your legislators that you voted in. Most important is STAY UNITED !!! They will try to break you and get you looking at their side. Don't let that happen !!! Stay the course, be smart, trust in your union leadership, and you can prevail. Maybe this will start a trend that all Americans can benefit from and together we can all take a bite out of corporate greed.:)

jrwhd68
08-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Haven't heard anything for awhile just wondered how the contract talks were going?

mainline
08-04-2009, 09:19 PM
Not good. Will post more after wednesday.

brokenxarm
08-05-2009, 07:43 PM
Have the phone numbers of your public utility commission on hand. If you go on strike and the public talks to you about the strike complaining about service, have the number ready to give to them. Better yet, have the ext. number and name of one or more of the offical's that you have already talked to. Have it down on paper that you can give to them. Sometimes the public is reluctant to bitch and you have to lead them to the watering hole. Works almost all of the time. We here in 459 really had the public and customers seeing our side which helped out alot. Hit the bastards with everything you have, take pictures of unsafe work practices.....hound the hell out of cmp. Most importantly.......STAY UNITED!! The bastards will cave and fall....just look at first enema. They are really pissed because we wouldn't break.

loodvig
08-21-2009, 07:54 AM
Anything new? How you guys making out?

mainline
09-08-2009, 07:28 PM
We have a mass meeting the 22nd of Sept. The future direction of our current negotiation will be looked at. So far we have taken a beating. The company has done no good faith bargaining. Our committee has bent and bent, until the proposals from both sides look to be virtually the same, and the company still won't give an inch. Hopefully all Energy East, and Iberdrola U.S. affiliates are looking at this. We cannot lay ball with these people, they will stick the bat up our A$$. I think we need to start a thread on the future of the IBEW. Where is the I.O. we have only seen one Rep. at a demonstration. Thank you Kevin Cash for your show of support and your time. The I.O. has not sent a Rep. to speak to the membership, and let us know their position. I think that the way this ends will largely determine the tack EE takes in future negotiations. This week EE announced that they would be laying off 24 union employees, at CNG, a gas company under our umbrella. They are doings this because Conn. PUC made them take a rate cut as a result of exceeding a 10% profit margin. Their is no reasonable profit margin for these BASTARDS. To any members who read this come to the mass meeting, make your voice heard. We should fight to the finish, no rolling over, no compromise, no vote on the same contract we voted on. Stay united, stay strong. Solidarity.

climbing high
09-08-2009, 08:25 PM
Best of luck to you guys Local 459 is fully behind you brothers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These company"s are ruthless so stick together and you will win. What a country You pay a lineman in the nfl 6 million a year for 8 months work and we want a good salery and they say f;;k you Stay togher brothers! We are a minority but one tough bunch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God Bless

electriklady
09-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Good luck and stand together. We wish you the best in your fight against yet another unethical, arrogant ruthless greed machine.

another 459 member!