PDA

View Full Version : WHo has actually went to lineman school? (NLC)

johnciv6
04-13-2009, 12:45 PM
I am wondering who has actually went to lineman school and graduated. Preferably Northwest lineman college. What were your job oppurtunities afterwards and how soon did you get hired? Im finding out 3 years into college that it's just not for me. I went for sports and injuries are making that not worth it anymore. So im gonna do what I always wanted to do, lineman school.

mattgiacona
04-17-2009, 04:54 AM
i am currently attending NLC through distance learning because I am stationed in japan. If your curious about the material its great. i would have loved to check this school out in person. I am about to graduate after one more test so ill keep you posted on how things work out for me as far the distance education side is concerned. I would lke to here from somebody that has actually graduated from their also if anybody has.

oilfieldape
04-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Some utilites are requiring a line school to even get your foot in the door. I graduated last june and went immediately to work, if your willing to relocate you will get a job.

BigClive
04-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Can I just mention... NLC are training their students in the use of Defibrillators. That's very good news.

Now what about the rest of the industry?

Hemingray Insulators
04-17-2009, 10:39 AM
as far as mountain states jatc when i had my orientation, we had to be taught and certified in usng them.

swetngblts
04-17-2009, 07:17 PM
I am wondering who has actually went to lineman school and graduated. Preferably Northwest lineman college. What were your job oppurtunities afterwards and how soon did you get hired? Im finding out 3 years into college that it's just not for me. I went for sports and injuries are making that not worth it anymore. So im gonna do what I always wanted to do, lineman school.

I went to nlc in oroville and graduated. If you are motivated, willing to relocate and want it bad enough you will leave school with a job. At least when i went there it was like that. The economy has changed a bit since a year ago.

If you're trying to get in anywhere on the west coast you'll probably need the schooling or some trade experience to get in somewhere. It's highly competitive out here. If you can get in somewhere w/o the schooling thats even better. It's a great school but you will learn all the same shit and much more on the job without paying $10,000. Best thing you can do is get in as a groundman somewhere and work your way up.

Get your class a cdl and first aid/cpr and sign your local union groundman books. Get some experience and then apply to the jatc in your region.

tramp67
04-17-2009, 07:33 PM
Can I just mention... NLC are training their students in the use of Defibrillators. That's very good news.

Now what about the rest of the industry?

The last several first aid/cpr classes I attended covered AED's. Seems to be getting pretty standard now. Of course, the one instructor wasn't too happy when we told her about shaving the dog so the pads would stick....apparently they aren't designed to interpret a canine's heart rythm.....:confused::confused::eek::eek:

johnciv6
04-20-2009, 12:20 PM
Im glad to here all the feedback. im willing to work anywhere as an apprentice afterwards because I know once im a journeyman id have greater options on where I want to live, so that part is fine. Im thinking the NLC is where im going because to get my cdl in washington I would need a lot of hours of driving and trainging before I can even take the test and that costs like 5-6k at a close by community college which has a waiting line for that class anyways. I plan on applying here soon, today Im getting my dot physical and stuff and waiting on my transcripts then im gonna send it in for may next year.

Posting anymore experiences would be great.

ezlife41
04-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Check a website called www.indeed.com they have several lineman and apprentice jobs from helpers thru step 4 apprentices. There are several pages so browse thru it. I know some are in Texas. Good Luck. Right now I'm applying to be an instructor in Tx. New Braufels area for St. Phillips in San Antonio.

Divemaster
04-21-2009, 09:27 PM
From what I know NLC is a good program. I went to NICC and left knowing alot more than when I started, and it helped me get a foot in the door of linework. I also learned to watch, listen, ask questions and do what I was told. No matter where you work, every system is different and every old school lineman has something to teach you if they respect you. It is the knowledge that they teach you that twenty to thirty years from now you may be passing on to an apprentice. Good Luck.

theFNG
05-15-2009, 03:07 PM
My first day of school at NLC is july 20th. I went and toured the school about a month ago. place was amazing. i talked to a guy that went to the school and he told me that out of 64 guys (2 classes of 32 run side by side) something like 7 or 8 guys didnt get a job and it was basicly becasue they didnt show up for interviews or actually try hard enough to get them. So best of luck to you. i will keep you posted on how my schooling goes from july to graduation which is in october.

YooperTurnedFloridian
05-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Not sure if you have to pay to go to that school but I am currently in one of the IBEW's apprenticeship programs where you get paid to go to there climbing school then once you make it through ten days of that you get put on the books and soon after that get a call for a job. There are many different union apprentice schools across the states and most have there own jurisdictions although when storms hit you could end up anywhere the storm is. Hands down the union apprenticeship programs are top notch in the country you have to work hard to progress but you will be a great lineman once you top out with the program. The number to SELCAT ( south eastern line construction apprenticeship and training) is 1-678-423-1338 Good luck bud!

RubberGuts
09-30-2015, 10:21 PM
250 students per term and the only people that don't graduate are a couple that quit because they are tired of being away from home! The certificate you get means you can get your hand held for 15 weeks while they keep 15k!
Crane class and smart grid class are another scam. Don't waste your time this school is a scam! Yeah I got a job but I had to do it all myself and the majority of us are working rat contractor in Texas. I could have gotten this job off the street!
Lesson learned

Pootnaigle
10-01-2015, 01:57 AM
Ummm Ive seen the products of these schools and for the most part I bleve they are all a joke Nuttin like serving an IBEW apprentiseship

stiffneck
10-16-2015, 04:25 PM
Makes you wonder why someone would go to one of them there schools. Could it be IBEW's hiring practices? Would you like Local-1 and Local-2 recent examples? I've worked with some of your cousins for Inside wireman and Outside underground here at the Airport :nightmare: I know that not all IBEW are bad, neither are them there schools. Got me where I'm at today. The only thing IBEW here in St. Louis, Missouri did was screw me. Correction, what I should have said was; The only thing IBEW here in St. Louis, MO. did was; GIVE ME THE MIDDLE FINGER and I haven't forgotten that, nor am I the only one, either. Want examples?

Gale19XX
10-18-2015, 02:51 AM
I went to NWICC in Sheldon, IA. Line school can be risky but if you want it bad enough, it will pay off. Our local IBEW apprenticeship doesn't require schooling, but it moves you to the top of the list immediately. Most seasoned guys will tell ya it's "buying your way into the industry." When in all reality it's a requirement with most Utilities and REC's and a requirement that's only getting more popular. I also wouldn't believe the "job placement" stories these schools sell. I know mine for a fact, months after graduation sends out surveys asking questions. Somewhere in the middle it asks "Are you currently working full-time?". At that point, most are, but that doesnt mean you're working in the industry you went to school to work in. They then only have the returned surveys to base their info off of. If a guy isn't working, chances are he's not gonna fill out a voluntary survey. I do know while I was there, there was two classes of 30 students each. Maybe 12 of them had jobs right after graduation. It has since picked up and there are many more working and finished out.

One more piece of advice. Don't already assume you're not worried about the present because once you journey out you know you can go where you want. If you don't get on with a crew you mesh with, days can get pretty long working with a**holes, guys you don't trust, that can make you wanna change plans real quick.