PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions Please Help. Would You Do Linework Just For A Hrly Wage And No Benefits

johnnyhighliner
04-24-2009, 10:50 PM
After The Last Contract Vote, And Not Knowing The Vote Total, I Am Throwing Out This Question.

If It Came Down To This. You Were Faced With This Contract That Pretty Much Took All Your Company Given Benefits Away From You. Would You Still Be Willing To Do This Line Of Work If It Just Came Down To A Good Hourly Wage.

Do You Think Their Aren't Other Jobs That Pay As Much As Linework With Alot Less Of The Everyday Hazards?

Also How About Not Having To Answer The Phone At All Hours Of The Day If You Had A Different Job Other Than Linework.

I Know Some People Don't Know Any Other Thing But Linework. It Appears Now That These Company's Whether Your A Contractor Working On Utility Property, Or Working For The Utility It Is Coming Down To Only A Paycheck.

I Have Seen Alot Of The Ibew Locals 499's Contract And We Have Been Losing Alot. I Don't Think We Will Ever Get It Back.

So Ask Yourself This Question If Another Job Came Open Other Than Linework That Paid Somewhat Close To Linework Would You Still Do Linework. That Is Now You Are Faced With Not Having A Pension, Medical Benefits Because Your Union And Its Membership Thought It Was Best Just To Greenbacks Every Other Week.

Patriot
04-25-2009, 09:20 AM
It used to be about pride. And respect. Service to your customers, neighbors,(getting and keeping the lights on) to friends, even family,(who were customers) and now it is just about a paycheck and corporate America treats you like a high paid or over paid, bastard child! The rules, the list grows daily, and punishment for breaking the rules, is becoming very difficult to swallow. YOu have to change your mind set, 15 to 30 minute truck checks before leaving the shop, 10 to 20 minute signed and employee numbered tailboard that covers every possible scenerio of ill-fate that the human mind can imagine, arm loads of cover-up, face shields, FR everything, etc; etc; then go to work. We do about half the work we did 10 years ago with more people. It has become easier but more complicated for fear of getting fired.

So would I do it just for a wage? Our local discussed this 12 years ago, then it was a flat rate of $45 an hour, all double time OT, no benies. Except a few paid holidays. At the time it was intriging looked good actually, union health care, and personal pensions. But no I wouldn't do it now, to old. And if I could find another job less demanding on the body, free time, mind and soul, for half the money, yes I would do it in a heart beat! Especially if I could pick up a pension, in 10 years I might have some thing.

weevy
04-25-2009, 11:34 PM
Please Answer The Questions. You Must Be Scared Not To Answer. Yes I Am Here To Enlighten The Body About What Is Going On Not Only In This Union But Maybe Many Others. Hopefully We Can Take Back Our Union From Phony Union Members Like Yourself. Those That Are Reaping The Bens Right Now.

You Don't Seem Like A Big Union Man To Me. You Can't Even Answer The Question That I Asked Before.

I Posed Questions To You, Answer Them. Don't Banter Me With Your Own Dumb Ass Opinions. How You Feel About Me. Yes I Am Here To Rally Support To Get Things Changed

johnnyhighliner
04-25-2009, 11:36 PM
Who Is Sbatts Show Yourself. Are You A Company Man. I Think So, Because He Cannot Answer The Questions Weey Has Posed To Him.

LINCRW
04-26-2009, 09:12 PM
I wouldn't do the work for pay only........ I need benefits. If I can't get benefits, I would have to make enough to pay for my own without going broke.

Lizzy Bordon
04-26-2009, 09:26 PM
I am asking myself that question right now. I loved my job, hated the commute, hated to suck up and watch everything taken away. The fighting really got us no where. Just spinning our wheels. We used to sit back and say fight it. The sad thing was...........a lot of our work force was old could retire at any minute and just had to ride it out a few years. I honestly do not know if I would go back only because the commute is unbearable. Do I need a job yes for at least 10 more years. Do I have pride? Yes I do and how much do you suck it up to stay alive. I have friends who have recently left for other power companies and are very happy. I just hope I get that lucky and can look back and say it happens for a reason. Everyone at my old company are miserable. Its painful to go to work anymore. They all can not wait to get out. Well I am out...........scary out there. I am holding on for that silver lining.

weevy
04-26-2009, 10:13 PM
Well It Appears Steve Batts Still Cannot Give Answers To The Numerous Questions That Have Been Asked About His Beloved Ibew Organization.

Steve Why Are You So Obstinate? Answer The Questions.

I Can See You Must Not Have Any Answers.

I See You Have Personal Opinions About Me And Johnny Highliner.

No Johnny And I Are Not Sleeping Together, Much To Your Amazement
I Am Sure.

You Talk About C@cksucking, I Think You Were Probably Very Good At That Tactic. The Reason I State That Is Because That Is All You Talk About.

You Need To Start Posting On Maybe A Homosexual Website. Maybe Then You Could Get What You Are Really Looking For. People That Will Do What You Are Accustomed To Doing.

Once Again You Have Been Spouting Your Mind Off Since I Started Posting. But I Can Tell You, You Don't Have The B@lls To Answer The Tough Questions That Have Been Posted

OLE' SORE KNEES
04-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Doubt that I would , Once they take away benefits why would any decent hand just work for wages. I personally have other trades to fall back on myself.Tired of Corporate Greed !!!! Sometimes self satisfaction is worth more than a dollar.
Time Will Tell,we at FPL are under a contract extension. Honestly for the first time I think the whole work bunch has had it this time Finally !!!

Edge
04-30-2009, 08:49 PM
WTF weevey or Jhighliner or what ever the flying fu(k your name is... you're jumping Batts shit like a monkey on a fuggin banana... when he has already told you pretty much that if ya don't FU(KIN LIKE IT GO TO THE GD LU MEETING AND BE RECOGNIZED AND HEARD!!!

It may sound insane but sometimes it's that easy... thats what the bitch is.... I remember when JohnBellemy showed up on this site ... beating narrowback sown... hell I agree with him for the most part the GD narrowbacks are running a union STARTED by LINEMAN.... why because 90% of them or better work at home and go to their fuggin union meetings and voice and vote.... how man lineman can do that? especially tramps.... If you can get to a gd union meeting and voice and vote ... you should damned wel be doing it..

you can pin a bunch of problems on others but how much of it is YOU...you can either be part of the problem or part of the GD SOLUTION!!!

Oh and as far as the only credible question you had in your orignial post???????

"Would You Still Be Willing To Do This Line Of Work If It Just Came Down To A Good Hourly Wage. "

well I'll answer that by saying simply this...

THERE IS NO OTHER LINE OF WORK!!!

Edge

Hell ain't a bad place... Hell is from here to eternity...

compression
05-05-2009, 11:07 PM
I'd drop all my benefits in a heartbeat and go to work tomorrow for just an hourly wage! You pay me $267.00 per hour(min. 40hrs) and I'll be there at 0700 tomorrow.

Really though, if Carpenters are making $30 per hour it's time to get our thinking up.......30 to 50 per hour is chickenshit wages if I can hammer a nail for 30. Hell you can smoke dope all day and finish concrete for $25 to $30.:eek:

squarewasher
05-06-2009, 02:42 PM
hey johnnyhighliner, if came down to just the greenback with no benefits would i take it. Yeah i would; but first i would have to put my family on welfare to get medical and food stamps because you know if the company passes the BS the next thing is your hourly wage brother.......