PDA

View Full Version : Should Layoffs @ Union Shop Be Made By Seniority Or Age

johnnyhighliner
04-25-2009, 08:02 PM
I Throw This Question Up This Evening Seeking Answers From The Union Contingency To The Threads Questions. I Ask This Since Locals 499's And 109's Contract Was Settled And The Last Two Contracts Had Major Issues I.e. Benefits Decided By Age Not By Seniority.

This Also Occurred At Our Sister Company Pacificorp, Where Their Pensions Were Frozen For People That Were 52 Years Of Age And Younger.

The Contract Before This One Where Locals 499 & 109 Bought To The Table And Passed Had Grave Consequences For People Under 50. We Were Given A R.m.a. Account. It Stands For Retiree Medical Account. That Is The Company Would Give You So Much $$$ Per Year For Your First 10 Years Of Service. And After Signage Of The Contract The Company Would Start Contributing To The Rma Account. These Actions Were Based On Age Not Seniority.

So Not To Get Too Long Winded.

If It Comes Down To Layoffs In A Union Shop Should It Be Decided By Seniority Or Should It Be Decided By Age?

If It Comes Down To Benefits Should The Local Unions Leadership Base Who Gets Them Either By Age Or Seniority.

You See It Appears The Unions In Particular Are Eating Their Cake And Icing As Well.

They Want The Best Of Both Worlds. I Was Always Under The Assumption Seniority Prevailed.

Seniority Allows You To Get These Right Now At Local 499 &109 Wondering If Age Will Factor In On These.

1. Seniority Yrs Of Service Not Age Gives You So Many Weeks Of Vacation Union Earned Vacation Negotiated.

2. Bidding A Job I.e. Apprenticeships: Awarding Of Job Based On Seniority Not Age. Should It Be By Age. Since Local 499 & 109 Decided Benefits , Medical And Pensions By Age Not Seniority

You See I Am Beginning To See A Double Standard Here. You May Have Years Of Seniority That Entitles You To Certain Things But Are Not Entitled To Having Pension Or Medical Due To Your Age. But You Have Paid Dues For Years. Go Figure!!!!!!!!!!

3.IF IT COMES DOWN TO LAYOFFS AT A COMPANY ANY UNION COMPANY, IT COMES DOWN TO SENIORITY WHO IS OUT OF WORK. WHY NOT DETERMINE IT BY AGE. THAT IS, THE YOUNGEST STAY WORKING, WHILE THE OLDEST HIT THE BRICKS, AND IT WOULDN'T BE BASED ON SENIORITY.

WOULD THEIR BE A GREAT UPROAR FROM THE ELDER STATESMAN IF THIS WAS ALLOWED TO OCCUR, THEN WHY NOT THE OUTRAGE OF WHAT IS GOING ON TODAY.

Please Chime In If You Care To

weevy
04-25-2009, 11:39 PM
Sbatts I Don't Want To Pop Your Balloon But I Am Still Here

Highplains Drifter
04-25-2009, 11:48 PM
Steve, it could be done with two computers or one. I am thinking two since they are both on line. It is the IP address that would tell but since both are logged in at the same time, a man could have two computers , one on a land line and a laptop that is wireless, this would give him two different IP addresses. You would have to have the Adman check the IP addresses of the two you question.

weevy
04-26-2009, 03:47 AM
You Got All The Answers Don't You High Plains Drifter. Stick To Linework.

Highplains Drifter
04-26-2009, 04:13 AM
You Got All The Answers Don't You High Plains Drifter. Stick To Linework.

OK

https://secure.kennedygraphics.com/imgsdesigns/s05.gif https://secure.kennedygraphics.com/imgsdesigns/s33.gif

Figurehead
04-26-2009, 04:18 AM
Seniority prevails in our contract. Sorry to hear you men have to scrap for your bennies. It's a shame pitting brother against brother. We all lose, some dignity and respect, some benefits.

Patriot
04-26-2009, 10:34 AM
You would have about as much luck changing it from seniority to age as you had keeping your pension. I can see, if you have layoffs, then old guys could go draw their pension and the younger guys can still work. The idea of seniority vs. age just draws another line between a work group.

Our local is seniority, and technically, just in layoffs and job bidding, but not all job classifications! Some of the older long time hands think seniority decides everything, but if taken to task, it doesn't!

Lizzy Bordon
04-26-2009, 09:10 PM
The company is getting the results they want. It is called union busting. Everyone fights with each other. Admit it, think about it, you actually look at each other like you are on survivor but there is slowly no alliance you can trust. I just made the grave mistake of taking a management job to get closer to home. 22 years in the union. I would still have a job. I only took the management job to get closer to home. 77 miles one way to work vs. 12 seemed a no brainer on $4.00 a gallon for gas and stuck in one fatality after another on the highway with my normal Friday night ride home 2 plus hours. Doesn't matter if you did a good job, if you show up for work, are you getting 100 phone calls a day from you significant other, leave early to play golf...........everyone has their favorites. You do not see one of the scumbags taking a cut in pay to save anyone Else's job. Its all for me and get out of the way. Society has changed. I was just talking about how many of my co-workers should have just frigging retired and give the people a chance who really need the job. I have a child to put through college. I sat there and looked at people who still kept their clothes in moth balls, dressed like the 50's and could not multi task even if it was to tie their shoe while they were on the phone. Retirement......hardly anything there. 401K sucks, bonus is just that BONE US. OK hit a raw nerve. I get pissed when I look at people who were handed a house, education and are feeder fish off their parents. They could retire......not just come to work and read the paper or disappear. The company could have given them a severance but NO think about it. They would have to pay them too much would rather have them suffer. I wish I could make them work for a living, earn their house and education. Take a walk in someone else's shoes for once. In 10 years there probably wont be any pension or retirement unless you work for the government.

mainline
04-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Bargaining unit seniority is the only way it can be done in our contract and the only way it should be done.