PDA

View Full Version : Using boat wax on a boom?

Divemaster
04-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Recently we were told by the gentleman who does repair work on all of our aerial units that we can use fiberglass boat wax on the insulated parts of our booms. I have a problem with this as I have read some of the ingredients. I personally don't think kerosene would be healthy on the boom and how conductive is teflon (I don't want to find out the hard way). I believe in hot stick wax from Hastings. What do you guys think?

lewy
04-26-2009, 04:29 PM
I would only use the stuff that is recommended for your boom.

glover
04-26-2009, 07:45 PM
I would have the boom tested before I used it and any deviation from past test should tell you something?????

old lineman
04-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Recently we were told by the gentleman who does repair work on all of our aerial units that we can use fiberglass boat wax on the insulated parts of our booms. I have a problem with this as I have read some of the ingredients. I personally don't think kerosene would be healthy on the boom and how conductive is teflon (I don't want to find out the hard way). I believe in hot stick wax from Hastings. What do you guys think?
Never mind if it makes your boom semi-conductive (yeh, do mind). Who's buying the stuff, you?
Why would you experiment with another product even if it's cheaper.
You not buying it.
As Lewy says follow the manufacturers recommendation and stop looking for a substitute.
The Old Lineman

LINCRW
04-26-2009, 09:06 PM
If you don't stick with the manufacturer's recommended product, then don't expect them to back you on any issue with their product. Stay with what the manufacturer says to use.....

Bull Dog
04-26-2009, 09:25 PM
Use boat wax on a boom. So then you use boom wax on a boat. Well that makes a lot of sense. Must be Canadian bacon.

tramp67
04-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Teflon has excellent dielectric properties. But, I'll go along with everyone else. Use what the manufacturer recommends, because of liability issues.

Divemaster
04-27-2009, 12:42 AM
Thanks for the input guys! Like I said, I like using the Hastings wax (which is recommended). Now I have other opinions that I can use on the boss. He's the one that has to learn that your men are more important than money!

Electriceel
04-27-2009, 06:35 AM
We have always used Hastings products to Clean/Wax the booms, and then spray and wipe on a good coat of tri-flow, also trying to get some tri-flow to the wear pads. Tri-flo is a teflon based product and will not cause any di-electric problems.

Divemaster
04-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Thanks electriceel! I'll put that on the Boss's list since he's gonna order what we need.

thrasher
04-27-2009, 10:29 AM
No one should ever use a product on dielectric equipment that is not specifically made, tested, and certified for use on dielectric equipment. This applies to cleaners/waxes for booms, sticks and something a lot of people don't think about; hand cleaner on the trucks for lineman. About seven years ago our warehouse changed hand cleaners on the trucks and we had rash of glove failures in testing (these were North gloves not the crap Salisbury is putting out now). To make a long story short the new hand cleaner had a degreaser in it that aged and made brittle rubber gloves. Went back to the old hand cleaner made for gloves and that problem went away.

glover
04-27-2009, 11:38 AM
I have to agree with all of the above, use only what is recommended for your booms, experimenting is best left up to the makers of your boom. and then they don't always get it right.

T-Man
04-27-2009, 03:45 PM
Use that boat wax on your Harley Faring and hard bags. It keeps the static down and you don't collect as much dust.

Use boom wax on your boom or you may not get the chance to take that ride on your Putt Putt.;)