PDA

View Full Version : Tower Climbing

Bklyn TS
05-21-2005, 01:57 PM
I'm a 17yr. vet of distribution work thinking of switching to trans work I was told my co. Coned in new york is one of very few companies left to "free climb" lattice or lace towers without any fall arrest or steps. 75% of our structures are not stepped I was told OSHA forbids free climbing and my co. has a variance. If anyone Knows a little about this please let me know on the chat or email. Careful ot there boys safety is in our hands these companies worry about the bottom line.

spur
05-21-2005, 02:16 PM
Our little utility forbids free climbing. To climb lattece or pegs you have to use a sheppards hook and fall arrest. The first man goes up with it and brings a fall line with him that all other climbers use once at working level you must be belted in at all times [two belts or a belt and a seat belt] . Only one climber at a time on the fall line. To decend the last man down drops the fall line to the ground and brings the shepards hook with him.

Work safe or not at all spur

500 KVA
05-21-2005, 05:41 PM
My question is, how is the first man able to do it then?

How are you suppose to erect these steel towers too? Someone needs to build them?

I think this fall arrest thing may be a bit ridiculous.

Nevada Power. Come work here. No fall arrest devices guys. The apes don't even wear them in school.

Fall arrest on laced steel? What next?

Maybe rubber suits for distribution.

spur
05-21-2005, 07:46 PM
The first man has a shepards hook with a 12-15ft rope hooked to it ,you hook the shepards hook as high as you can reach climb to the hook belt in move the hook and start again. When erecting towers we double belt all the way [very slow] our rules state you must be belted in at all times [we all know that is impossible].

work safe or not at all spur

Bklyn TS
05-21-2005, 09:02 PM
500 kva just wondering if your a distribution or a transmission man. I,m just looking or a little info on transmission culture we only have 12 guys in our co. that work trans. Thanks for the info Spur.

500 KVA
05-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Bklyn TS, I did some transmission a long time ago when I was in the outside. All distribution now.

I guess I'll have my crack at doing transmission again here since things are changing at this company, and we will be rotating onto some transmission work instead of one single crew doing it as it's done at the moment.

m_kohner
05-22-2005, 06:52 PM
our company climbs and has 2 or 3 huge transmission departments and we tie off and use 100% tie off on transmission work on, distribution we usually dont tie off assending or desending ( on hooks) 100% tie off in the bucket and basket.

Bklyn TS
05-22-2005, 07:43 PM
m kohner I was wondering if your boys climbed unstepped towers free of any fall devices.I you have any info let me know.Careful out there bro.

HYLINESTICKY
05-22-2005, 09:02 PM
Hey Bklyn
I work for PSE&G in nj in the overhaed transmission dept.Ive been there 6 years and am a Towerman special.We work strictly on towers with voltages being 26kv,69kv,138kv,230kv,345kv and 500kv.We freeclimb everything with a tower harness and then use fall arrest when in the working position.Our group works live using hotstick and barehand methods in addition to dead work.We also have started a helicopter program for inspection and live work off of a platform.Also have two bronto skylifts 155'& 178' W/ insulated booms for barehand.All of our towers have step bolts on one leg all the way up to the goathead and steel poles have bolt on ladders or welded rungs on them.Any other questions you can send me a message.

LINETRASH
05-22-2005, 11:16 PM
I always free climb everything.

As for towers, I can tell how dangerous it once was. For example, when clipping bundles on a 500 lin in fla.

We climbed the towers using 2 aluminum ladders per leg with 4 guys on one side and 5 (add the static dog) on the other.

These towers were octoganal pre-rusted steel. We would start up one ladder, then the 1st guy would reach up and hang the next ladder.

Then everybody would climb onto the top ladder and the last man would reach down with his foot and snag the 1st ladder, then it was passed up to the top man. Climbing inch worm style.

Once we rigged our straps around the massive x-arm, we would coon the bells to the bundle (no clip-in ladders). Then we would clip the bundle in, and send the 3 roller blocks down the handline.(clip a caribiner to the block and fall line and it tags itself).

Now the fun part!

We send the rigging and ladders down the handlines. Then we hang the solid sheave (no opening sheave on our handlines) on a working eye on the x-arm.

Then tie a bowline into our d rings and after making sure the grunt has your fall line wrapped around a t-bar (welded to the truck) and making double dog sure the grunt aint mad at you, you unbelt and ride the handline down.WWWHHEEE!!!

I have once arrived late to a structure in the process of being clipped and rode the handline UP, pulled by a truck. No fun, no fun at all.

I am quite sure all this stuff is outlawed now.

Thank goodness I shoot trouble now.

Radar
05-23-2005, 11:32 AM
If you invest in tools and training there are lots of safe ways to climb towers and be 100% fall restrained PLUS get a very reliable resue method in the same package.

If you need to find out more try "ropes that rescue" ...Reed Thorne can teach you how to rig towers in a reliable, tested method for falls and rescues. The training and methods are adaptable to confined entry and vertical enviroments too.

I went to one of his schools for Hi-line... as a natural skeptic, I can say that his methods work and I was very impressed by the methods. He changed an old dog.

Bonus.bonus...it's a lot of fun...sorta like gettin PAID to rock climb!

Most methods get the first guy to work from a shepards hood or set Carbiners and slings as he climbs on belay. The following folks climb the rope the lead guy installed with Petzl stops or Figure 8's or whatever devices you may elect to adopt as your method.

Working off the rope system is cool too... It's a lot easier to rappel down to a corona rig and shoe than to hang off the bells on a buck-strap... I was very closed minded and old school until I learned the methods.

"little beaver"
05-23-2005, 11:41 AM
Yea LT,
A lot of the fun has certainly gone out of it. When I worked on the Transmission end of things, we always 'rode the ball' on the crane. The boys had a plate to go over the winch line and rest on the ball so two guys could get on.
Of course the young guys hear us talking, so there was a little Transmission job (138 kv) here this winter and the guys talk the crane operator into letting them 'ride the ball' onto the 3 pole strucure. It was along the highway and the WCB dude happens to be driving by and it's three days suspension for everyone on the site. At least now the boys will have a few stories to tell about the 'good old days' when they get 'long in the tooth' like a few of us!

Bklyn TS
05-23-2005, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the info hylinesticky I was just in staten island today inspecting the 345 crossing tower into linden NJ. Are you saying that 100% of your structures are stepped and you guys do no climbing on the lattice work. L Linetrash thanks for the info glad your still around to laugh about it I'm a T shooter in dist. myself but I'm giving the transmission a shot Careful

old lineman
06-19-2005, 09:26 PM
Our little utility forbids free climbing. To climb lattece or pegs you have to use a sheppards hook and fall arrest. The first man goes up with it and brings a fall line with him that all other climbers use once at working level you must be belted in at all times [two belts or a belt and a seat belt] . Only one climber at a time on the fall line. To decend the last man down drops the fall line to the ground and brings the shepards hook with him.

Work safe or not at all spur

Spur ,
Your company forbids free climbing because it is a provincial regulation.
I am super interested in how you guys are climbing. On the posts there is a lot of mention of the 'shepherds hook' and the rope grab system. Last week I was teaching this subject and learned that the RTC-2300 has lost it's CSA approval. Apparently a worker fell and as he fell he grabbed the rope grab and prevented it from gripping the rope.
He was found with the rope grab still in his hand, dead at the bottom of the structure.
When using the rope grab lifeline system the lanyard should be approximately one foot long, no more otherwise the climber could interfere with the grabbing capability.
I noticed that you describe the two belt system. I'll have to assume "and that makes an ass of you and me" that you are talking about using the two belt system while traversing. I suspect there is a probelm in your work method.
Perhaps you can clear this up for me. Does that mean that while you are moving about you don't have a shock absorbing lanyard connected from the structure from your doral dee? I have seen this a lot and I believe it's because your trainer didn't fully understand how the Fall Protection categories work. I'll explain.
1. Travel Restraint--- this system is used to tether a worker so that a fall is not possible.
2. Fall Restrict/work positioning---this system is seen in the lineman's work when he/she climbs a wood pole. The potential fall distance is very short.
If you have to climb a telecommunications tower or a VST (vertical storage tank) and are using the engineered system this is also in this category.
A shock absorber is not mandatory, although some utilities incorporate them.
This is difficult to understand because they won't deploy until they see between 835-900 lbs. of dynamic force. This won't happen in that short of a distance.
The worker can also wear a lineman's belt for pole climbing, which isn't the case in the next category.
3. Fall Arrest---this system is used where a free fall can occur. The maximum distance one can free fall is 6 feet. That distance will generate tremendous dynamic force and that's why the shock absorber is required.
When in this situation the worker MUST be attached by the dorsal dee of the full body harness to the structure at all times.
That's you when your traversing around on the tower. The two belt system is for fall restricting and NOT to be confused with Fall Arresting.
I find that the twin legged lanyard is the best choice for freedom of movement. Just remember that you must be connected by the "A" attachment of your full body harness (which is your dorsal dee) continously while on a tower.
So when all is said and done you only need one pole strap belt for positioning.
Check with your instructor on this and he should confirm or else he also is unaware of the proper definition of these categories.
The Old Lineman

kalan24
08-02-2005, 08:41 PM
Hey everyone just here to see if anyone needs any more info on tower climbing systems I have just completed 2 courses on on tower safty and systems and also am a certified tower rescue personel If u need to know something feel free to ask me I know most of the requirements for climbing.

old lineman
09-21-2005, 10:55 PM
When you were taught tower climbing, fall protection must have been included.
I am curious.
Did your instructor teach you that once you have reached your work position and you have belted-in, did he tell you that you also must be connected to the structure via your dorsal DEE.
Your belting-in process is work positioning NOT fall protection. Don't confuse the two. Belting-in is not designed to withstand dynamic force.
You must wear fall protection continuously while aloft. That means that you MUST be attached through your full body harness dorsal DEE because that's the only attachment that is recognised by OSHA and all other juridictions.
The Old Lineman

old lineman
10-26-2005, 04:12 PM
3. Fall Arrest---this system is used where a free fall can occur. The maximum distance one can free fall is 6 feet. That distance will generate tremendous dynamic force and that's why the shock absorber is required.
When in this situation the worker MUST be attached by the dorsal dee of the full body harness to the structure at all times.
That's you when your traversing around on the tower. The two belt system is for fall restricting and NOT to be confused with Fall Arresting.
I find that the twin legged lanyard is the best choice for freedom of movement. Just remember that you must be connected by the "A" attachment of your full body harness (which is your dorsal dee) continously while on a tower.

Where I work we free climb all the time even when traversing around the tower. The only time we use fall arrest and positioning is when we are in the working position. If it was mandatory we would be attached at all times because my company is above and beyond OSHA.......

Barehander, you are bang-on correct when you talked about work positioning vs PFAS fall arrest. Now why did you go on to say that you free climb?
To me this looks like a contradiction.
Obviously you are very knowledgeable about fall protection, then you appear to risk your well being by free climbing and traversing. I'm puzzled, am I missing something?
OSHA is a bare minimum which is the least you can do and get away with it. If a company wants to move up the ladder to 'best practices' they can. If I was in search of a job I would try to become thoroughly familiar with OSHA standards and seek out an employer who strives to do better.
That way there is a better chance of having a safety culture that starts at the top.
I agree with you that the twin legged lanyard is the best thing since sliced bread. I also always recommend that the company purchae them with the optional elastic so that when not attached they don't pose a tripping hazard.
The Old Lineman

old lineman
10-26-2005, 08:53 PM
Well Old, don't know how to answer your question. I work for PG&E, one of the largest utilities in the US. I will guarantee that safety is our business. I'm just telling you how it is. We can free hand up the tower to the arm and then we must be attached while on the arm. If we want to go the next arm, we unhook, freehand to the next level and re-attach. I've been here 32yrs with 75% of that time building or maintaining transmission. The first thing I ever climbed was a 500kv twr at the ripe old age of 18 & was an app. after 3mo. clipping them in. I don't know your background so I'm at a loss as to who you are.
We also do helicopter skid transfer where you free climb off of a copter onto the twr. Fall hazard at it's greatest!
All I can say is....Don't be sceered.

Well for your info I started in this business in 1960. I free climbed around on EHV towers up to 450'. Barehanded up to 735,000v
The things I did then scare the crap out of me now, but we all did it!
I used to walk from one end of a structures x-arm (150') to the other like I was walking along the sidewalk. No fear!
Both you and I know that's forbidden in this day and age.
I've been teaching fall protection and high angle rescue for over a decade and I am compelled to emphasize that at NO TIME are you to ever to totally detach from the structure. I've co-presented with Reed Thorne of Ropesthatrescue in Sedona.
About 5 years ago we lost a guy who fell from the 425' level of a telecommunications tower. He was wearing three systems but detached all of them to move and was concentrating on the job at hand when he leaned back thinking he was belted-in, his co-worker said the last words out of his mouth were "oh f---". He was splattered over 1/2 an acre.
I will stick to my principles and maintain that you should never free climb. You may get away with it and I hope you do because if you don't the consequence is too high.
You seem to know your stuff and I'm not challenging that, I've seen too much hurt to say, "have fun."
By the way I was offered a job at PG&E in 1976 but declined as it seemed too far from my wife's family and mine.
Carry on.
The Old Lineman

old lineman
10-27-2005, 08:34 PM
I used to walk from one end of a structures x-arm (150') to the other like I was walking along the sidewalk. No fear!
Both you and I know that's forbidden in this day and age.
I've been teaching fall protection and high angle rescue for over a decade and I am compelled to emphasize that at NO TIME are you to ever to totally detach from the structure. I've co-presented with Reed Thorne of Ropesthatrescue in Sedona.

Well, again, it's not forbidden here. We can free climb, traverse the bridge without being attached. If it was, we wouldn't be doing it. You keep saying NO TIME & NEVER. That may be your policy or your companies policy, but not where I work. As of today, it's not the policy here.
I have to ask what "co-presented" means. I thought Reed worked alone? And by the way, Reed free climbs also. He teaches lead climbing, attaching fall protection every 3' up the twr, not for daily climbing, but when in high winds, icy twrs, or on a partial collapse. You talk about the dorsal ring for fall protection but Reed doesn't train using that, he uses the sturnam ring with a short lead with a rocker or shunt. He says that OSHA allows that if the fall is less than 2'. That also allows for self rescue unlike the rear attachment. We've been friends for about 4 1/2 yrs. I've been trying to get a twr rescue program here for the last 5yrs after a co-worker got shocked on a 230kv line & the crew could't get him off the twr. I'm getting closer, the wheels of big business turn slow. I've also been working with Jan Holen who owns Ropeworks.

For now I guess we have to agree to disagree.
Be safe.

Whoa!
I don't disagree with what you said, it works for you but not me.
In Ontario, Canada we have Regulations that forbid free climbing. I just happen to believe that's the right way to go. You have to decide for yourself if you are comfortable or not. I've investigated too many falling accidents.
In industry the number 1 killer is vehicles, the number 2 killer is falls, and the number 3 killer is electricity. Sounds like a lineman's pot pourri to me.
Co-present means that we shared the stage discussing the same subject, guess what?--high angle rescue. That was at ESMO 2000 in Montreal.
I didn't say he didn't free climb, and it wouldn't influence me to not retain attached 100% of the time. As I said it's my principle.
The Old Lineman

CenterPointEX
06-19-2006, 08:20 PM
sometimes fear is a good thing..

42linehand
06-20-2006, 07:27 PM
I believe that OSHE states that a lineman can free climb a tower. In Connecticut Northeast Utilities wants you to climb the towers with 100% fall arrest. Additionally they are making us install barckets on the steps so you can hook into them. Myself and others find it more dangerous here having to climb with lanyards hanging on your side getting caught on your knees while climbing. Going up the lattice we will climb until are lanyard wont lets you go any further. Then we will clip in with another lanyard and then remove the other. I just find it much easier to free climb But then again who am I.

keithz
07-03-2006, 11:50 AM
Contractor Lineman Still Free Hand As Far As I Know I Used To Like Transmission When Most Distribution Jobs Were 40 Hours I Did 12 Years Transmission 18 Years Distribution

Alan Mac
07-07-2006, 03:30 AM
Over here in the UK, anyone working on towers MUST be attached at all times above ground level. HSE brought the requirements in about 12 years ago. As soon as it was introduced my mate and myself thought "fair enough, we'll go with it". Once you get into it, you find it becomes second nature and you get quite slick at it. After a while it doesn't really slow you down, sometimes it can be a pain but hey, that's life. You can spot the guys who don't normally do it from a mile away, they really do make it look awkward.

Take care out there, it's a scary world...
Mac

old lineman
10-19-2006, 09:09 PM
I believe that OSHE states that a lineman can free climb a tower. In Connecticut Northeast Utilities wants you to climb the towers with 100% fall arrest. Additionally they are making us install barckets on the steps so you can hook into them. Myself and others find it more dangerous here having to climb with lanyards hanging on your side getting caught on your knees while climbing. Going up the lattice we will climb until are lanyard wont lets you go any further. Then we will clip in with another lanyard and then remove the other. I just find it much easier to free climb But then again who am I.

That's a real problem when your safety equipment becomes a tripping hazard. Kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?
The solution is to purchase elastized lanyards. You leave it attached to your dorsal DEE and snap the safety snap onto the front of your harness.
some manufacturers are installing a specific place for it.
If the lanyard is elastized and is 6 foot long it with hang right beneath your arm pit.
Voila no tripping hazard.
The Old lineman

OLE' SORE KNEES
10-20-2006, 07:55 PM
I at one time would free climb to the top of any Transmission Tower,Lattice,Corten,Creosote,Galvenized........bu t as they say wisdom comes with age(at least I hope so)...would today double safety on wood or double Grouper Hook with all else, a good example years back on the transmission crew on a 500KV Corten Structure on the West Coast a FPL employee was climbing a Corten Ladder Section ,clipped in the section above him while clipped in to the lower section tugged a bit and the entire section fell behind him teathered to his harness.......................what a sad day it would have been for him to free climb on that day.............on a personal I used to free climb the wood, on one morning climbing the morning dew was still out on the Spar Arms when I was crossing over to the next pole when I slipped at the center phase where the two arms meet at the center of the structure, I could feel and hear arcing on 230KV as my hooks were shunting out bells,only by the grace of GOD I pulled myself back up and re-grouped....................from the day forward I have double-safe'd or Groupered..................take care ....work safe..............it is you or your family that will suffer from short-cuts.................

OLE' SORE KNEES