PDA

View Full Version : Whats the real right path?

johnciv6
07-25-2009, 03:40 PM
Ive been accepted to the next january class at northwest lineman college. It seems like a smart thing to do, but I keep hearing this thing with dont waste your money get paid as you learn? They make it seem like anyone can get in to whatever it is? Is it really that easy or is getting your cdl, first aid, and climbing experience worth the money at college? Ive always been under the impression that just going for the apprenticeship right off the bat was hard to do, but having that cdl, first, aid, and schooling gives you a big advantage? Am I wrong?

johnciv6
07-25-2009, 05:21 PM
oh and also, since my post ive been doing some searching on the njatc website. Is it best to send in applications to as many njatc training centers as possible and go though each of there proceses?

drawmonster
07-26-2009, 02:01 AM
I was a police officer with no experience. I interviewed with ALBAT through my local union. There were tons of people that had spent money on lineman school and stuff like that. I got ranked number 3, and about 8 months later was one of 3 people to get hired. Been at it for a couple weeks now.

From what my crew and many other lineman have said - Don't waste your money.

Now, if you for some reason think you won't do well at the interview or something, then it might be worth it I guess.

johnciv6
07-26-2009, 02:08 AM
I was a little hesitant to think that was the right way tell i started researching the jatc website. So is it smart to apply for as many as possible and do interviews with multiple ones rather then just the closest one?

scratchpad
07-26-2009, 11:15 AM
some people get in the jatcs w/o schooling. much harder to get in along the west coast w/o it or some kind of experience. if you dont have schooling or experience i would say some of it depends on luck, timing, work history/ethic and how well you interview on whether or not you get into a jatc here in the west. definately get your cdl, flagger, first aid cpr prior to any interview. apply to all jatcs if your willing to relocate. remember, you will be competing with hundreds if not thousands of guys that have experience or schooling along this coast. calnev will take about a year to get an interview now from the time they get you application. dont know about northwest. check out volta school if you plan on interviewing up there at the jatc, i hear they dont like NLC students. LADWP only hires apes off the street with schooling. SCE is only hiring groundman a3's off the street with schooling. Looks like portland general electric wants a groundman with experience. its not easy to get in anywhere especially right now and these groundman jobs or apprenticeships arent just handed out. i dont have all the right answers but its my .02

https://pgn.igreentree.com/CSS_External/PGE_CSSPage_JobDetailReference.ASP?JDReqkey={09910 92C-2395-4000-A38D-5CDBE762B176}&T=20090726104055&

johnciv6
07-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Well I dont want to spend the money on the applications if it's almost impossible to get in wihout schooling.

scratchpad
07-27-2009, 03:33 PM
i think the nw jatc is the only one that charges an application fee. there may be one other i cant remember. just do it man, you'll never know unless you try. how bad do you want it? have you signed groundman books at a few different locals? time is ticking.

Brad Lillie
07-27-2009, 04:00 PM
As far as signing the out of work list, I thought signing more than one was a union no no.

There are a couple different ones here, but I just signed the one covering my certain area because I thought signing multiple wasn't something you should do.

Brad

scratchpad
07-27-2009, 04:35 PM
good question, ill have to check on that. how my local worked when i first signed the groundman books was that my dues were paid out of my first paycheck, until then i wasnt a member. so im not sure if it matters up until you go to work/become a member. maybe someone who has the answer will chime in.

T.O_Hydro
07-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Look up every utility with in a driving distance you dont find to be far. And start emailing applications. With some luck maybe you'll be left with options at the end of it all.