PDA

View Full Version : Lets Introduce Ourselves

Highplains Drifter
08-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Let’s have a thread to introduce our selves seasoned to new members….so the newbie can get to know the seasoned members and so the newbie can be welcomed.. I'll start

I am a construction Journeyman Lineman living in Hartford South Dakota, my home local is #55 located in Des Moines Iowa. I did my apprenticeship from 1972- 1976 , topping out in June. Still working in my tools!

LostArt
08-29-2009, 01:39 PM
Great idea Drifter! :D

I am NOT a powerlineman, journeyman, or even in the field! I'm also NOT a teacher. :D I live in FloridUH with the Boss, who is my husband and happens to be a powerlineman.

I'm also a GATOR FAN.

GO GATORS!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Pootnaigle
08-29-2009, 08:58 PM
Ummm I am a Journeyman Lineman retired from a utility and now doin work as a contractor ( construction). I have worked UNION all of my life with the exception of 6 months way back in 1975. That six months taught me that Non union work was not for me. I spoze I am on my way out as I am now kinda long in the tooth, But I am gonna do linework until its no longer satisfying or My body hollers uncle. I kinda maybe promote the union cause on here.

MEGA81
08-29-2009, 09:13 PM
I am a proud member of local 84 (GA) 4th step apprentice. I have worked with some great Lineman, and hope to one day be one.

Mike Honcho
08-29-2009, 09:26 PM
I am a IBEW journeyman lineman, 17 years in the trade, alway's worked union, utility and construction, I am here, just cause, talk to me if ya want to, or ignore my post's, no hard feeling's, don't bash my union, it has done more for the trade than you can understand. I have enjoyed coversing with people here so far, alot of positive energy here. Honch.

Edge
08-29-2009, 10:06 PM
IBEW NJATC trained started the trade at age 16 been doing this shit for awhile... I spent most of my life as a construction JL... spent the last 8-10 years as a power company puke... I've done a little bit of everything and burnt up more than my fair share of shit.... I've lived and loved this trade all my life.... my middle son makes 5 gens in this trade he's a JL that won't listen to his pop...guess I was the same way with mine....

hope you young cats get something form this thread I like it...

For what it's worth

Edge

scratchpad
08-30-2009, 10:29 AM
first step outside line apprentice out of IBEW local 1245 in California. just went through Cal/Nev JATC climbing class and became indentured on 8/27/09. proud to be a union member, proud to finally get in the outside line as an apprentice and just proud to be in this trade. the journey begins.:D

THE KID
08-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Journeyman Lineman for a Municipal for 18 yrs. Crew leader for the past 2 yrs. Small company about 11.000 meters with alot of industry. work all aspecs from tranmission, Dist, URD and services. Love the job and life itself!!!

Doggboi
09-01-2009, 06:39 AM
My name is Dave.. I am a 2nd year apprentice with SCE&G based in Bluffton, SC. I grew up in Vero Beach, Fl and before getting into linework I spent 7 years with comcast cable.
I attended SLTC and then went to work for a rat contractor in Nebraska, where I learned two very invaluable lessons.. a crew full of apprentices do not a safe situation make.. and dont date the chick in the front office.

Having grown up in So Fla , I am a fan of the Miami Hurricanes, Dolphins.. and the Atlanta Braves ( new addition ). I like putting my camera to work , and catch things and post them on the picture thread here. Also add to that list, fishing, gaming, and traveling of things I like to do.

This is by far the most challenging job I have ever had.. and not just because of the work , but because of the people I work with. I am though confident I will outlast any problem ( person or object ) I come across here. Even though we do distribution work , I have been up a 110ft river crossing ( which fell over two days later ) to fix lightning damage. And to date have avoided knocking heads with stingy district managers and difficult J-men. Whats next? bring it on

MI-Lineman
09-04-2009, 04:42 PM
Mike-work for Consumers Energy in central MI. Started as a tree rat on the wrong side of the fence and got into local 17 in the "MOTOR CITY"(NOW A WASTELAND). Did my whole app in East Detroit until "01" then went north. I hired into C.E. Miss that old delta system!

jrwhd68
09-07-2009, 01:26 AM
Jim , Journeyman, been in the trade 22 plus years both contractor and utility, and luv every min. of it. hate the company I work fore but i'm home everynight night while my kids are growing up , and they are almost there. would like nothing better then heading back out on the road I miss it!!!!!!;)

linehandjlc
09-12-2009, 06:29 PM
been in the industry since 04', took alittle while to figure out the process. so i'm just now a legitamate third year apprentice. worked in the ohio valley to the flat lands of idaho to southern new mexico, now in the rockies. still looking for that company that's doing the type of linework i got in the industry for. not sure where that will take me but, learning invaluable lessons along the way. can't think of anything i'd rather be doing, go bucks!

Koga
09-17-2009, 05:29 PM
Lets see Ive been ahhh , well uhhh, no can't put that here. Ive been called a..... , nope not that either ! I have done some linework for the same utility the past 30 years so I guess thats about it.

Koga

PS " what a long strange trip its been ! "

UnionBoomer66
09-17-2009, 09:44 PM
JYL Life Long Tramp
Mostly High Line Construction 32 years Home. Amarillo, TX, Local 602 Friends call me JB

MI-Lineman
10-05-2009, 08:01 PM
I'm just happy to be able to... participate in ANY conversation on "LINEWORK".[/QUOTE]

DON'T FORGET POLITICS!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

T-Man
10-06-2009, 12:19 PM
I'm pushing 40 years for the same Utility. Started Jan 1970 as a lineman, cause I needed a job to feed my family, did that for three years then got in meter and service which I found to be not my cup of tea, took a job as a Troubleshooter and stayed there for 13 years, best job I ever had, took the next step up to be a dispatcher and did that for 11 years, they made that a management job and that ended my union affilation but it opened a door for me as a technical trainer and I've been doing that ever since, some 12 years now. I enjoy helping young people learn to do this job safely, I think I'll be pulling the plug next summer God willing. Getting to be time to move on.

lineman2011
10-12-2009, 09:46 PM
3rd step MO Valley apprentice. Line clearance tree guy for 10yrs (to long). Worked my ass. off getting into the apprenticeship not knowing anyone. Doing what I've wanted to do for a long time now. Union whole time.

LAMartin.CVEC
10-15-2009, 07:13 PM
LAMartin, I am a Journeyman Lineman for--yep you guessed it--CVEC. I work in Division III in Palmyra, Va. I have been here at the co-op for almost 6 years now but had worked as a contractor for 11 years prior to. I have a mixed background that includes transmission,substation and distribution. I am strictly a REC lineman now but I will never limit my options. I strive to better my self trough any training opportunity that arrives whether it be formal, though interaction with my direct supervision, or with interaction with other Journeymen. I take my craft very seriously however, I try to enjoy it also!

I toughly enjoy this site and enjoy reading posts from many of you. There is alot of knowledge that can be gleaned from here and I do my best to learn from that as well.

thank you gentlemen for your insight and work safely,

LAMartin

Journeyman CVEC

Boomer gone soft
10-19-2009, 08:59 AM
3rd step MO Valley apprentice. Line clearance tree guy for 10yrs (to long). Worked my ass. off getting into the apprenticeship not knowing anyone. Doing what I've wanted to do for a long time now. Union whole time.

I started out as a "wood-tick". I worked for Asplundh for 12 years before I got into MoValley in Minneapolis. Like you say, I spent years watching Linemen and wanting to be one.....Now I are one! Boomed around the country for the contractors, but now I work for Alliant Energy as a service rep (rural troubleman)....hence the origin of my user name (though swamp and scamp have thought I might like to borrow their little blue pills :p). I miss the "big jobs" (and the "big money"), but being home everynight with my family is PRICELESS!

Send me a PM if I can be of any help, Little Brother.

A piece of advice......not everything you read on here is worth your time--listen to your JL and ask questions in class.

RWD
11-16-2009, 10:50 AM
Well lets see. Navy taught me the trade in 1979. (Seabees) Since then I've clum sum, dug sum, hung sum, burned sum, strung sum, staked sum, and built sum.

Worked for Empire Electric in Co. Boomed for Anderson and Wood. Taught for NRECA. worked all over the world.

Adventure!

RWD

LOCAL84
11-18-2009, 05:24 AM
My Name is J.D. I am a Journeyman Lineman for Custer Public Power in Broken Bow, Nebraska. I was a contractor for several years until I decided to jump to the utility side. I am married to a wonderful woman named Natalie and we do not have any children yet; still got a few more goals to achieve before we get to that stage.

neil macgregor
11-27-2009, 04:28 PM
im the best lineman in the world well my world anyway i love working on the
lines an cant imagine doing anything else been in th job 20 years and hope to be doing it another 20

graybeard
12-02-2009, 12:16 AM
Been in linework since 84, worked everything from 345 to the meter and I'm an electric crew leader. Worked it all at the same company and union. Working in the town I grew up in and get called at home when the lights go out because everyone knows where I work. Still a point of pride to keep the lights on and get em back on.
Still learning and trying to teach the things that I've learned and pass on the good stuff and none of the bad.

kitejkoch
01-09-2010, 06:11 PM
Coming into my 25th year. 15 @ 2 corp's, 8 contractor. All of that union. Last couple @ a non union muni, GOD forgive me! Need to stay close to home for awhile. Still keep my traveler current. Best to all!

Chong
01-15-2010, 08:10 PM
10 years trampin rat highlines in the 80s union since 92..outside construction,just comin off a three year jag as a utility puke..wasnt so bad,home every night (when the pager didnt go off} back outside now,lookin to maybe find some old pole partner on here someday. nothin Id rather do for a check.work safe..look up..live long

heelwinch
01-15-2010, 08:27 PM
39 years IBEW local 1249.

Loved the job, hated the BS. But wouldn't have it any other way.

transmission 98% did some distrubution during storms and what not, but really just a pole monkey most my years.
My only regret was not being able to sell the trade to my son. I'm sure you all agree there is NO greater reward then providing the one thing that keeps this country functioning.

MI... your stickers pecking out.

Joe Guy
01-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Been working for Hydro One, utility for the province of ontario Canada for 7 years. Mostly did transmission work, barehand up to 500 kV (it needs to be renewed), sticking 115 and mostly just line construction of new tower and pole lines.
Did 3 years of distribution in three of our major areas, Guelph, Orangeville and Thorld. Also been a health and safety rep for a few major projects.
Just a young guy, started at 19, just going on 27. Union member of Canadian Union of Skilled Workers (CUSW).
I am thinking of going to a local utility try that out, see what challenges can meet me there. Had a bit of city work, but most is usually in smaller towns and rural area. Anyway, here's from north of the border. I will try not to stir the pot anymore than I already have;)

wudwoker51
01-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Started apprenticeship in May of 1976, topping out in January of 1980. L.U. 51 is my mother local but have also been a member of L.U. 57 and L.U. 1245. Majority of my career has been spent on construction but have worked for a couple of IOU's when the outside work hit the skids (family to feed you know). Linework is all I know and would not trade the friendships and experiences for anything. It's a rare breed that make up our Brotherhood and I am proud to have been associated with the men and women of the IBEW for 35yrs.

lineleader
04-19-2010, 09:34 PM
been with Ohio Edison since 69. stint in the US Navy., came out & went into line in'73.been there ever since.dist,trans.maint.,and hold the pos. of 'Lineleader" since '94.been offered co pos. numerous times but kept my sanity and remained a Union man. hold an elected pos. in UWUA 126.maybe gone next year!

squarewasher
04-23-2010, 02:20 PM
I'm a Journeyman Lineman from IBEW Local 104. Went threw Neats apprenticeship program and topped out in 2001. Can't think of any other work I would want to be doing. Wish I got in early than I did...:eek:

wtdoor67
05-01-2010, 08:51 AM
Well Ben Franklin was GF and I think Tom Edison was a first step when I began. There wasn't no moon and the sun was just a little bitty feller.

MI-Lineman
05-01-2010, 09:26 AM
Well Ben Franklin was GF and I think Tom Edison was a first step when I began. There wasn't no moon and the sun was just a little bitty feller.

LOL!
Ew Ew I know....YOU'RE NAME IS DIRT!!!!:D

wtdoor67
05-01-2010, 09:38 AM
No hooks or belts nor bucksqueeze. Toenailing days. Smoke signals instead of radios. No handlines, just grapevines. Barehanded lightning.

Mr Stubs
05-23-2010, 12:01 AM
So green I am not even employed in the trade....

Start my JATC, Volta class on 6-12-10 http://www.nwlinejatc.com/templates/template4/?page=7

I have been saving money, talking to every person that will speak with me in the trade, working out, reading up on http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=linemans+handbook&x=0&y=0 and taking night classes in math for awhile now.

Put on my new spurs today and went up for the first time. I now know that this is for me..... wet, rainy, and just as fun as it was when I used to climb up to the tops of those old fir trees when I was eleven...

electriklady
05-23-2010, 12:04 AM
to the NUTHOUSE!:D

Hyper63
05-31-2010, 10:04 AM
Contractor in 1986 in Texas. Worked for several others after that in the southern states. Been on every major storm I could go on. Liked the challenges. Been with AEP for 11 years now. Was on this site alot back in 93-97, Cigar, Yosimite Sam ya'll still on here? Its been awhile.... Joined the Union in 97 (111 in Colorado). Good choice for me. LU 1002 in Oklahoma since 99. Mostly distribution. My Name is Robbie, glad to meet ya'll or is it you all? LOL

returntotheeve
05-31-2010, 10:49 AM
Actually it's "yins".

As in "Yins goin to Sheets ta get a pop?"

Right EL?

electriklady
05-31-2010, 11:28 AM
:D:D

Eve

Havent heard soda referred to as "pop" since I was "itsy bitsy, but the other day a customer offered me a "pop".........twice in one week!:)

Holsapple
08-16-2010, 11:53 PM
journyman lineman from Missouri valley Jatc. Started out of Local 2,
Topped out in Jan 2003. Have done nothing but travel since. My ticket these days is out of 1393. But do to the the fact that Indiana is a right to work state means old Chris here has to travel. Have been out of 47 for about 5 years now. Praying to the good lord above to send me home to hook some poles. All in do time I guess. God bless you brothers and remember when its all said and done we do share a common thread wether we agree or not.

Trbl639
08-17-2010, 01:56 PM
2nd generation lineman....Retired now............started in 70, as a USAF lineman, spent 3 yrs teaching USAF/Army/Navy Lineman, got out and worked for a co-op for a couple of years and did some contractor work on the side, then spent 28 1/2 with the old Arkansas Power & Light, now Entergy, spent the last 21 1/2 as T-man/Serviceman with them.....moved my ticket from LU 1703 to 436 when I retired........just in case I got real bored and wanted to work again.....

demingrick
08-21-2010, 04:43 PM
I didn't realize this thread was here (my first post was in the wannabe forum), so here I am; I just started lineman school on 8-16-10 so you'd all be correct in assuming I'm a complete greenhorn.

I joined the forum to get a better idea of what I've gotten myself into. I have a small amount of experience with mining electrical (7200v shovel stuff) but when it comes to high line stuff I'm pretty much clueless.

I look forward to the wealth of knowledge I can gain from those of you that are willing to share it.

WidowsSon
10-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Mike -20 year Journeyman Lineman - 30 year member of Local 125 - all 30 at the local Utility - kids (5 daughters) grown and gone 3 thru college -

Starting on new journey tomorrow - first day as a "con", and truthfully, looking very much forward to it.

Past 30 has been my honor and privilege to have worked with some great men, many of which will have my respect till the end of days. I'm looking forward to meeting many more brothers and keep learning in the greatest trade going.

watzamta
10-09-2010, 09:32 AM
Let's see, 18 year utility lineman, E.Board member (ibew local 320), line school instructor, a host of other responsibilitys that keep me real busy. Not complaining though would'nt have it any other way. Luv what I do:)

Jose
12-01-2010, 11:27 PM
hello. I Jose am lineman. new hear but work as linman for long time

i tink i go to the state of alberta and work. i work for irby a bit and som small contrcttor in texas but time move on. think this freetradething a very gid think. i can work where i want for gid money because for 12,000 peso get green card in Los Angeles no problemo

Jose

ashtonadrian71
12-02-2010, 10:27 PM
Will actually if my calculation is right i been a member for about 1 week.Just want to introduce my self ashtonadrian, is my name. I am grateful that I am here.

By the way the day is not quite good. hehehe!!!!

Boomer gone soft
01-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Here's a picture of my installation as Master of Faribault #9. The presiding officer is the Grand Master of MN Masons John L. Cook, Jr. and the retirng Master is Dave Kvestad.

I have been busy with Lodge and Job's Daughters and just spending time with the family. I hadn't thought much about this site until I got a notification somebody tried unsuccessfully to sign on as me.....probably Swampsuck in an attempt to gain some credibility......but that's just a guess (LOL).

Hope everybody had an enjoyable holiday and finds peace and prosperity in the New Year.

Jimmy

I just wanted to add a little more information about the picture.....
As some of you know, I was apopted by my grandparents. My grandfather, an orphan himself, never achieved more than a 6th grade education. He was a Mason as well, (I'm ninth generation), but he never thought he was smart enough to serve as Master himself. He died 2 months before my 3rd degree and when he was cremated my grandmother gave me his white apron. It was my honor and privilege to carry his apron to the East with me in memorial. He was, contrary to his own opinion, the smartest and most upright man I ever knew. I miss him very much.

Boomer gone soft
01-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Nice to see ya still think bout me "jimmy".
You know...that ain't my style at all.

But leave it to a guy like you to make a shit reference like that.:rolleyes:

Nice "Apron".

My Grand Father was a 33 degree Mason. My Father in Law was a Shriner, and past potentate... and his wife was Daughters of the Nile.

LMAO!:D

I owe you an apology! I really couldn't help myself. I can't believe it took you this many days to find that little dig......you're slipping old man!:p

You should consider taking the degrees. It would give you some time away from all the crap on here.

I just want to say to you publicly, I don't give you that much shit because of your views. I have many close friends whom I do not agree with politically. I just don't like the way you make things personal and I don't like that you have stir shit on EVERY post.

Let's disagree.

Let's stop being disagreeable.

I'll start by quit jerking your chain and calling you "swampsuck".

Have a nice day!:)

Boomer gone soft
01-11-2011, 12:47 AM
A very nice story in the local paper.

http://www.faribault.com/news.php?viewStory=104198

Nyblast
01-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Hello everyone!! My name is Paul I'm 37 and live in kings park L.I., n.y. I manufacture headstones and do stone resturation. I tried to get in to neat app. 6 years ago local 1049. Never got the call. I'm back on the list, had my interview lastmonth and hoping to get the call. I have 6 friends all lineman, all love their job. Wish me luck!! Nice too meet everyone

loose neutral
02-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Hello everyone!! My name is Paul I'm 37 and live in kings park L.I., n.y. I manufacture headstones and do stone resturation. I tried to get in to neat app. 6 years ago local 1049. Never got the call. I'm back on the list, had my interview lastmonth and hoping to get the call. I have 6 friends all lineman, all love their job. Wish me luck!! Nice too meet everyone

Good luck and glad to see you are going with the n.e.a.t program and local 1049. Great choice !!!!

Nyblast
02-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Thank you guys for your support!!

muddy
03-25-2011, 09:35 PM
I'm on page 7 nobody is going to make it this far, i have 11 years in the trade with Local 55 in Des Moines, Iowa i like good cigars, drinkin some beer and Captain n Coke, i'm new to the forum but i will visit everyday and try to make some smart comments, or smart ass comments:)

loodvig
03-26-2011, 06:02 AM
I'm on page 7 nobody is going to make it this far, i have 11 years in the trade with Local 55 in Des Moines, Iowa i like good cigars, drinkin some beer and Captain n Coke, i'm new to the forum but i will visit everyday and try to make some smart comments, or smart ass comments:)

Welcome! Just leave your feelings outside and you'll be just fine!

LostArt
03-26-2011, 08:10 AM
Welcome muddy. I've never known a lineman that wasn't! :D

Bear
03-26-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm on page 7 nobody is going to make it this far,

You'd be surprised. Many would start at the end and work backwards.

Neat goatee dude.

Trojan
05-10-2011, 11:12 PM
Hey are you trolling for young guys? Is this how you meet people romantically?
So, based on your posts, you're a Log Cabin republican and you're interested in novices who wear hard hats and tall leather boots. I' ll let everyone know.

hotwiretamer
05-10-2011, 11:44 PM
I've been in linework since 84. OH and URD distribution, and transmission. I've spent every year in my hooks exept about 1 1/2 yrs. where I took a Supervisor job. Found out I make a better Quarterback than a Coach! When things turn to shit I'd rather be answering questions than asking them. Went back to working foreman. UNION, Utility, Love working in that HOT Arizona desert.

ratbastard101
05-27-2011, 12:17 AM
I’m Canadian, a Jm Lineman (contractor and utility) and a patriot.

My sole purpose here is to put forward what many Canadians think and to possibly get a few of you in the US of A to know a little more about your neighbour to the north, your largest trading partner and your most important ally. After all, we do share a border, the longest common boundary in the world and it is unmilitarized (so far) of 8,891kM (5,525 mi), including 2,475kM (1,538 mi) along the Canada/Alaska border.

I spend much time refuting myths and misconceptions held many by Americans and exposing downright lies presented by some.

Smith

At this point I stand corrected in thinking I could have meaningful converstation with CL. As stated his sole purpose is to beat everyone with his thoughts and ideals.

Collie
11-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Hey, I'm from the southwest of england. more of a wannabe than a linesman, been driving diggers since I left school college and two years on have been given the oppertunity to run Excavators with pole erector gear on for a contractor. Father has been a linesman since he left school and i'm quite proud to be going on and working alongside him.

Looking forward to the oppertunitys and challenges it brings, I'm getting a set of cockspurs and learning that side aswell. Hopefully can glean some knolage off you lads.

hotwiretamer
11-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Hey, I'm from the southwest of england. more of a wannabe than a linesman, been driving diggers since I left school college and two years on have been given the oppertunity to run Excavators with pole erector gear on for a contractor. Father has been a linesman since he left school and i'm quite proud to be going on and working alongside him.

Looking forward to the oppertunitys and challenges it brings, I'm getting a set of cockspurs and learning that side aswell. Hopefully can glean some knolage off you lads.

Cockspurs?? Never heard that term! Another addition to the the lineman's slang dictionary.

Collie
11-13-2011, 11:56 AM
Really, woulda thought that was the main term for you lads. seems that's all you use for climbing. There the spikes that you fit to the bottom of your leg. :p Or in otherwords another thing for me to make a arse of myself with....

topgroove
11-13-2011, 06:01 PM

Hey good luck Collie! I'm afraid my pole erector strictly forbids cockspurs though!

Joshi82
12-22-2011, 11:27 AM
Hi fellas.. I am new here.. and just dropped in for greetings :P

topgroove
12-22-2011, 12:12 PM
Hey welcome to the forum Josh... Tell us a little about yourself:)

reppy007
12-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Hey welcome to the forum Josh... Tell us a little about yourself:)

Are you thinking what Im thinking that your thinking is what I may be thinking.Heard that before Groove,I just hope that he wont tell us that he's from the north pole area,but you never know.Yes josh give us a little background,we enjoy having someone new,welcome.

reppy007
12-22-2011, 02:27 PM

Muddy if you have been doing this for 11 years ,its should come naturally.Some of the comments we make might seem smart assy,but are really not intended to be that way.We have seen new people that know way more than we do,so we generally give them an opportunity to show and tell us.Ive always got a kick out of somebody that is lying to me and expects me to believe them.Watching other people work can be another interesting thing.Sometimes when asking a fellow worker why he is doing a certain job,a certain way,they answer with the I dont know theory,thats just an invitation for all types of comments.Being on the serious side,Im begining to think,some of these accidents we hear about are cause they arent actually thinking.

Highplains Drifter
12-23-2011, 10:02 PM
I just read this whole thread and there is no post from you introducing yourself.....please do!:)

reppy007
12-25-2011, 12:12 AM
I just read this whole thread and there is no post from you introducing yourself.....please do!:)

Im a journeyman lineman out of Texas,hired on in 1983,after serving 3 years in the U.S.Army,starting as a helper,attending apprentice school 3 years.Worked for Houston lighting & Power for 21.5 yrs,Union,local 66,the company has changed its name 2 times since,now called Centerpoint Energy,with utilities such as electric and gas.Have worked for contractors in this area and Flordia,The one in flordia was non-union,not finding out that info till I was already there.The guys were ok,didnt know about overhead but still ok.Personally I prefer a invester owned utility or a city owned utility,mainly due to equipment issues.Over all working for 4 contractors.Always have thought of working in California,something that still may or may not happen.

Martinsmith
01-15-2012, 08:11 PM
I have visited your forum for the first time and just been your reader. And I want to keep sharing with your forum. Please keep posting as I am gonna come to read it everyday.thank you for your post

reppy007
02-05-2012, 11:47 PM
I have visited your forum for the first time and just been your reader. And I want to keep sharing with your forum. Please keep posting as I am gonna come to read it everyday.thank you for your post

Its not our forum,its anyones thats interested,seen wives post on here,sons,daughters.......theres been family members that lost love ones,friends that lost co-workers,ect.........your welcomed to share with us things that you have experienced,seen......questions are encouraged.......nobody here knows it all.......but all of us combined usually can give you answers or directions........there is a few that think there gods gift to linewiork..........never let that confuse you,,,,cause it isnt so........we like hearing from new members,old members,retired members,and anyone interested in the trade........anything dealing with safety is very,very welcomed.:)

JohnnyBGood
03-26-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm a Distribution Engineer. Been doing this right before the big Y2k scare that was supposed to bring the grid down. Was anyone of you "oncall" just for that? I have been with the ESC local union for most of that time. I have worked with linemen, tmen, operators and have always learned a lot from their real life in the field experiences. I hope to do that same here.

Pootnaigle
03-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Welcome to our madness. Its always nice to have an engineers perspective on things

reppy007
03-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Yes its a madhouse at times,nice to have you here,we love stories from what others have seen,so feel free to give us your thoughts opinions or experiences............by the way where are you located?............yes the y2k year,worked that night when everything was susposed to go black,some did,cause i didnt get off on time.

Swamprat
03-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Yes its a madhouse at times,nice to have you here,we love stories from what others have seen,so feel free to give us your thoughts opinions or experiences............by the way where are you located?............yes the y2k year,worked that night when everything was susposed to go black,some did,cause i didnt get off on time.

BTW reppy...Where are YOU located? :D

LostArt
03-28-2012, 04:33 AM
Im a journeyman lineman out of Texas,hired on in 1983,after serving 3 years in the U.S.Army,starting as a helper,attending apprentice school 3 years.Worked for Houston lighting & Power for 21.5 yrs,Union,local 66,the company has changed its name 2 times since,now called Centerpoint Energy,with utilities such as electric and gas.Have worked for contractors in this area and Flordia,The one in flordia was non-union,not finding out that info till I was already there.The guys were ok,didnt know about overhead but still ok.Personally I prefer a invester owned utility or a city owned utility,mainly due to equipment issues.Over all working for 4 contractors.Always have thought of working in California,something that still may or may not happen.

Will this do Swamp? Come on now....read the thread. This was only on the page before. ;)

LostArt
03-28-2012, 04:39 AM
I'm a Distribution Engineer. Been doing this right before the big Y2k scare that was supposed to bring the grid down. Was anyone of you "oncall" just for that? I have been with the ESC local union for most of that time. I have worked with linemen, tmen, operators and have always learned a lot from their real life in the field experiences. I hope to do that same here.

Omygosh! Not the engineer!:eek: What a brave first post! Hehehe.....I just had to say that. :D

It's all good. I also look forward to reading posts. Welcome to the crew JBG!

Swamprat
03-28-2012, 09:39 AM
Will this do Swamp? Come on now....read the thread. This was only on the page before. ;)

You're right, I missed that. Evedently so did alot of others. I just usually look at the profile.

Bob-N-D-PWRSTN
04-09-2012, 12:11 PM
I am a UWUA 304 steward at Harrison Power Station in Haywood, WV. We were just bought out by First Energy

bren guzzi
04-09-2012, 01:11 PM
I am a UWUA 304 member at Harrison Power Station in Haywood, WV. We were just bought out by First Energy

Welcome aboard... :)

LostArt
04-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Welcome Bob!

Bob-N-D-PWRSTN
04-22-2012, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the welcome! UWUA 304 is a newly formed Local that's fighting for it's first contract.

STLmo1986
04-25-2012, 03:31 AM
I'm Kyle, got a CDL A. been driving trucks (local store door delivery) for 4 years. Humpin' all kinds of schtuff up and down a ramp. Heavy, light, it doesn't matter. I'm runnin'! productivity... As one of the higher ups called us, "the runningbacks" of the company. Great pay, short life expectancy. Not many options beyond where i'm at. Applied a few years back with Ameren directly; no experience, no CDL, no chance. so off the other way I went. Made a good life for myself; house, comfortable. But I've always had that itch to go where the lines go. Figured I'd try to get my foot through the door before I got too old. Haha. Applied with MO Valley JATC , Local #2. Have my first interview in Sept. ANXIOUS would be an understatement. Looking forward to it.

Here's too learning a thing or two and getting to where I hope to be.

LostArt
04-25-2012, 06:18 AM
Welcome Kyle and good luck to ya!

Swamprat
04-25-2012, 10:40 PM
I'm Kyle, got a CDL A. been driving trucks (local store door delivery) for 4 years. Humpin' all kinds of schtuff up and down a ramp. Heavy, light, it doesn't matter. I'm runnin'! productivity... As one of the higher ups called us, "the runningbacks" of the company. Great pay, short life expectancy. Not many options beyond where i'm at. Applied a few years back with Ameren directly; no experience, no CDL, no chance. so off the other way I went. Made a good life for myself; house, comfortable. But I've always had that itch to go where the lines go. Figured I'd try to get my foot through the door before I got too old. Haha. Applied with MO Valley JATC , Local #2. Have my first interview in Sept. ANXIOUS would be an understatement. Looking forward to it.

Here's too learning a thing or two and getting to where I hope to be.

Havin a CDL A, is a great "tool" to bring with ya as part of your resume, to apply to a Line Company, if ya want to "get into the Trade". Good Luck man! The Trade NEEDS New Blood....

STLmo1986
04-26-2012, 03:08 AM
Havin a CDL A, is a great "tool" to bring with ya as part of your resume, to apply to a Line Company, if ya want to "get into the Trade". Good Luck man! The Trade NEEDS New Blood....

Hopefully that can be me, get in there and bust my behind, learn the trade, and hopefully someday pass the trade on like so many great folks have before

Berserk13
05-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Names Mike, I'm 22 and a Selcat Apprentice. Just got my 6th step promotion. Spent the last 10months working in Cincinnati, Dist. Hit a bunch of storms with them, before that it was 6 months with TVA in TN/KY and a storm in AL doing tower exts new lines and some fiber pull in, before that it was some aerial cable work in PA and a bunch of transmission in FL, TX and NC.

Swamprat
05-04-2012, 12:02 AM
Names Mike, I'm 22 and a Selcat Apprentice. Just got my 6th step promotion. Spent the last 10months working in Cincinnati, Dist. Hit a bunch of storms with them, before that it was 6 months with TVA in TN/KY and a storm in AL doing tower exts new lines and some fiber pull in, before that it was some aerial cable work in PA and a bunch of transmission in FL, TX and NC.

22 years Old.:cool:

Welcome Mike. Nice to see younger Linemen postin. Hope to hear more from ya.
Work safe man....

Bstephens
07-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Brandon, journeyman lineman Tucson ax local 1116. Doing line work for 7 yrs now lovin every minute

reppy007
07-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Brandon, journeyman lineman Tucson ax local 1116. Doing line work for 7 yrs now lovin every minute

Great to hear from you Brandon,you choose a great trade,hope you will share things you see and do with us..I do wonder how you guys deal with that heat there in Arizona, give us a rattlesnake story if you have any....work safe.

BUZZMAN4177
08-06-2012, 10:52 PM
Hello Folks,
I just recently joined this forum although I have been reading it for many years. My name is Terry, I am 38, I climbed my first pole July 3, 1993, have done every aspect of the trade from underground to transmission....from grunt to supervisor. I spent many years "chasing the money" and I worked for a small Co Op for a few years. I currently work for a small Municipality in Virginia as a Journeyman Lineman. My "little Man", who just turned eight this year, wants to become a Lineman one day like his father!! I love this trade, and enjoy this forum!!!

thrasher
08-07-2012, 08:51 AM
Glad to have another member, especially ones that have worked multiple places. Speak up and enjoy.

bren guzzi
08-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Welcome... Enjoy the site... Looking fwd to your contributions..

( don't be shy ). AS IF. :D

Linelady
08-21-2012, 10:54 AM
Hi everyone!

Well I currently work customer service for Oklahoma Gas and & Electric. However today will be my first day of line school. I am working towards a double major, Occupational health and Safety and also Power transmission and distribution. I am very excited to be learning this side of the house and can't wait to climb the first time. My son is graduating this week from line school as i start my first week. My dad retired in April after 37 years in the trade as a lineman. We are carrying on the tradition only instead of being passed down to the son it will be passed down to his daughter. He did that this last weekend when he handed me his belt and gaffs for me to use. So glad to be and hope to learn and be an asset to this group!:)

bren guzzi
08-21-2012, 01:28 PM
Welcome to the forum... Glad to have the opportunity to hear line work from a different perspective . Good luck with your new endeavours... Keep us posted..... And don't be shy...

P.S. The first thirty years are the worst.... ;)

reppy007
08-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Yes ,welcome to the site,glad to hear a female in the trade,we will help you in any way possible,lots of good people here.But you will be responsible once in the field for making the right decisions and by not taking the risky shortcuts that get so many hurt,you will find out fast the most accidents occur because guys not following the basics,the easiest rules to follow are not being applied in the field.Anyway, your Dad will help anyway he can,by the way ,is he enjoying retirement and does he miss the trade?

Linelady
08-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Dad is absolutely loving retirement. He still does side jobs but does them when he wants and turns them down when he doesnt want to. Sets off in the morning in the boat and comes back in the afternoon to take a nap. lol!

As far as the safety end of things I completely agree with you. I have already had conversations with linemen that say I don't want to do it by the rules because it takes too long. to that I always say I would rather take an extra 3 hours and come home at night to the family then to short cut it and not come home at all. It just isnt worth it. That is why I am also getting my Occupational health and safety degree. So that in the field I can help change the culture or at least help get "the guys" home safe every night. It doesnt matter how many times and how fast you get the lights on if yours is extinguished permanently.

Hambone
08-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Live in Florida.Started in the trade in 1984. Never went to app. school, just on the job training. Wish I did now because FPL won't hire without your plaque. Wonder how many there don't have it either. A lot, that's why you have to have it now. Too many wantabe's got hired the last round and didn't know what normal open meant. Anyone know how to get certified without going to school for 4 yrs type me back. Tired of working for non-union subs who under bid the contract and work ya to death.

reppy007
08-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Live in Florida.Started in the trade in 1984. Never went to app. school, just on the job training. Wish I did now because FPL won't hire without your plaque. Wonder how many there don't have it either. A lot, that's why you have to have it now. Too many wantabe's got hired the last round and didn't know what normal open meant. Anyone know how to get certified without going to school for 4 yrs type me back. Tired of working for non-union subs who under bid the contract and work ya to death.

Welcome aboard,dont feel too bad,i cant answer your question but just wanted you to know that Ive worked for a utility similiar to FP&L....they didnt issue anything,no plaque,no certificate,nothing,so dont be discouraged....keep looking and talking to anyone and everyone,where in Flordia?

AFChris
09-05-2012, 09:06 PM
Hello all, I'm Chris. I am a father to a loving 15 month old boy and my wife is currently due on November 17th. I am currently in the Air Force and was trained as an Aircraft Electrician, did that for 4.4 years and am finishing my last 3 years with the Air Force Honor Guard, working out of Arlington National Cemetery.

I loved working electronics and dually loved working outdoors pre-military pumping concrete and mowing lawns. I want to get out to make a positive change for myself and my family.

I decided to become a Lineman. Did some research and am planning on going to Southeast Lineman Training Center (SLTC) in May of 2013, then hoping to land an Apprenticeship SOMEWHERE, doesn't matter where. Gotta do my time at the bottom! (Pointers on companies, the good and the bad?)

I a looking forward to working hard and feeling more accomplished with my work. I know little to nothing about Unions...but I won't bring that conversation up here (in the intro board.)

Looking for tips over HERE (http://www.powerlineman.com/lforum/showthread.php?9424-Military-getting-out!) on what more to use my military money for training, shoot me your thoughts!

Most of all I am super excited to be working with my hands again, as the Honor Guard has somewhat taken that away from me. But nevertheless, we must press on.

Thanks for ANY and ALL advice!
-Chris

UGL
09-05-2012, 10:27 PM
hello all,
I'm from Maryland and work for Baltimore Gas & Electric. My current job title is Underground Mechanic, Splicer B. So I'm not technically a Lineman. I was given the choice to become one but differed to the underground cause thats where I was told the money's at. So lets see, I got my start in the utility field while in high school where I worked for a small contractor doing new business and URD. I stayed with them for about four years before getting hired on with BGE. I've now been with BGE for the last three and half years. I spent a year at their training center before being sent to the wolves. I now work in the Undergrounds Lines dept. I do trouble to new construction and have worked on everything from 120-240v to submarine pipe type transmission. Even tho my dept. is heavily based on underground lines and equipment we still do Over Head work during storms. I'm glad I found this forum and get to get a feel for other utilities around the country and world. I can't wait to contribute.

reppy007
09-06-2012, 12:25 AM
hello all,
I'm from Maryland and work for Baltimore Gas & Electric. My current job title is Underground Mechanic, Splicer B. So I'm not technically a Lineman. I was given the choice to become one but differed to the underground cause thats where I was told the money's at. So lets see, I got my start in the utility field while in high school where I worked for a small contractor doing new business and URD. I stayed with them for about four years before getting hired on with BGE. I've now been with BGE for the last three and half years. I spent a year at their training center before being sent to the wolves. I now work in the Undergrounds Lines dept. I do trouble to new construction and have worked on everything from 120-240v to submarine pipe type transmission. Even tho my dept. is heavily based on underground lines and equipment we still do Over Head work during storms. I'm glad I found this forum and get to get a feel for other utilities around the country and world. I can't wait to contribute.

welcome UGL,its good to hear from anyone concerning the trade as a whole,keep us informed,if you have some stories feel free....by the way ,is your company hiring?...watch out in those manholes,vapors and all.

UGL
09-06-2012, 09:27 AM
welcome UGL,its good to hear from anyone concerning the trade as a whole,keep us informed,if you have some stories feel free....by the way ,is your company hiring?...watch out in those manholes,vapors and all.

Yes we are hiring. I think the next posting for a utility position will be in November. For the past three years we've been hiring 60 to 100 new employes a year.

reppy007
09-06-2012, 10:13 AM
Yes we are hiring. I think the next posting for a utility position will be in November. For the past three years we've been hiring 60 to 100 new employes a year.

Thats surprising,it sounds like business is booming up that way,is there alot of construction or do you have a large chinese population in your area,I hear China has all the work.:D

UGL
09-06-2012, 10:46 AM
BGE went on a hiring freeze back in the 90's, didn't hire anyone for 10-12 years. then a couple years ago someone realized "oh crap" people eventually retire (or die). so they've been hiring pretty heavy for the past few years. We have something like 350 lineman and 85 underground lines employees. they also hire for gas side, transmission, metering dept, substation, and a few other areas. the only down side is if you are in a union that wont mean much here since we're not, so you'll pretty much start from the bottom. you'll probably move up pretty quick some people have made crewleader in 5 years, but don't expect seniority to be considered here. and ah no chinese.

Hambone
09-16-2012, 10:54 AM
Welcome aboard,dont feel too bad,i cant answer your question but just wanted you to know that Ive worked for a utility similiar to FP&L....they didnt issue anything,no plaque,no certificate,nothing,so dont be discouraged....keep looking and talking to anyone and everyone,where in Flordia?

Southwest fla, funny thing happened the other day, I just got done repairing a primary fault and was switching it back in when I heard a fuse blow but it was'nt my phase. Anyway, FPL troublemen came out and he thought the company quit asking if you have your appr. papers. Guess I will wait and see since they keep your app. for 2 yrs.

reppy007
09-16-2012, 12:42 PM
Southwest fla, funny thing happened the other day, I just got done repairing a primary fault and was switching it back in when I heard a fuse blow but it was'nt my phase. Anyway, FPL troublemen came out and he thought the company quit asking if you have your appr. papers. Guess I will wait and see since they keep your app. for 2 yrs.

Utilities,in my opinion,do as they like,papers or not,Smaller cities can be a pain in the a$$.Washington state has some type of course/class/certificate...that you will need just for rubber gloves training......and you wont get in unless you had that course....they dont care if you have been a lineman for 88 yrs.

brs
09-16-2012, 01:34 PM
I'm a Municipal Power Lineman. Have been for 15 yrs. I'm the crew leader now and do a lot of paper pushing. I still get to go out with the crew and work but I miss just being a lineman. Going to work keeping the power on and no worries. Now I have to keep the power on lookout for the guys . and do all the paper work order's etc . But I think Powerlineman.com is great I thank you guys for the help when I get stumped.... BE SAFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LostArt
09-16-2012, 01:40 PM
Welcome to the site brs!

brs
09-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Welcome to the site brs!

Thank you very Much

dharbison
10-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Good day all. I have just started my apprenticeship with IBEW local 97 in Upstate NY. Having been trying to get to this point since 1985 with our local utility and finally after going through the call center and work as a garage mechanic have finally made it. Looking forward to this new career and will start early with the thanks to all of you for what you do as well as the advice that you share here.

reppy007
10-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Good day all. I have just started my apprenticeship with IBEW local 97 in Upstate NY. Having been trying to get to this point since 1985 with our local utility and finally after going through the call center and work as a garage mechanic have finally made it. Looking forward to this new career and will start early with the thanks to all of you for what you do as well as the advice that you share here.

Looks like you dont give up easily,anyway welcome.You will find out soon the dangers involved in the trade,hope you like the outdoors too.The best advice is to watch and learn,work safe..good luck

Old Line Dog
01-20-2013, 11:35 PM
New here?

Years of experienced Linemen in the trade of Power Linework on This board.

Welcome. Ask Questions,....read the forums...

kaminnl
02-25-2013, 11:11 PM
Hey Gents..
Workin' the trade since 97....Got my Journeymans with a Utility in the place I'm from...Newfoundland, Canada....I'm now working for another Utility in the Great Canadian North...Yellowknife, NWT! Work mainly Distribution...but we have 140km of Transmission aswell...Just enough to keep from losing the Trany Skills and Lungs! We do some Glove work but mainly Sticks or Outages to get the job done....If all else fails we just blame Power Intruptions on the Ravens!

Great Forum....Lots of Knowledge to consume!

Old Line Dog
02-25-2013, 11:22 PM
Hey Gents..
Workin' the trade since 97....Got my Journeymans with a Utility in the place I'm from...Newfoundland, Canada....I'm now working for another Utility in the Great Canadian North...Yellowknife, NWT! Work mainly Distribution...but we have 140km of Transmission aswell...Just enough to keep from losing the Trany Skills and Lungs! We do some Glove work but mainly Sticks or Outages to get the job done....If all else fails we just blame Power Intruptions on the Ravens!

Great Forum....Lots of Knowledge to consume!

Welcome aboard man!

Yup. "Lots of Knowledge" and Lots of BS to consume.:D Lots of international linemen and people, and....whenever ya got a question, generally, somebody's got an opinion or an answer! It's an International Board.

Greatest Linemans Site on the Web man!! Welcome aboard!

splinter
05-24-2013, 07:36 AM
Hi guys,retired last January, 10 years with an IOU, !0 years with a co-op, and 20 with contractors. Have followed for years but just not much on posting, guess maybe I just miss Linework. If the business was like it was in the 70's and 80's I'd probably still be working.

reppy007
05-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Hi guys,retired last January, 10 years with an IOU, !0 years with a co-op, and 20 with contractors. Have followed for years but just not much on posting, guess maybe I just miss Linework. If the business was like it was in the 70's and 80's I'd probably still be working.

I believe most retired guys miss linework,just being with other lineman and sharing stories,seeing all sorts of things.......I wonder what would happen if you took a basic job and compared the quality of work from lineman from the past and todays lineman......what kinds of things would you see that are different?......I know the lineman of the past would be up on a pole working while todays lineman would still be on the ground putting the squeeze on and talking on his cell phone:D

Pootnaigle
05-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Umm I spect the linemen from yesteryear wud puttem to shame however the guys from today have more available fault current to deal with and a little less room for error voltages are considerably higher and the safety bull**** is way harder to follow.

Orgnizdlbr
05-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Umm I spect the linemen from yesteryear wud puttem to shame however the guys from today have more available fault current to deal with and a little less room for error voltages are considerably higher and the safety bull**** is way harder to follow.

Agree with Poot! Still in the trade after 40 years, too many changes for the worse.... Attitudes of the FNGs is generally not what you'd expect.....least not what I'd expect

Alexyikes00
11-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Hello, My name is Sergio and im currently enrolled in electrical construction/maintenance classes and I plan on taking the lineman courses at my school next semester... hope to be able to learn as much as I can, since there seems to be alot of experience in the room

Rob
11-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Hello, My name is Sergio and im currently enrolled in electrical construction/maintenance classes and I plan on taking the lineman courses at my school next semester... hope to be able to learn as much as I can, since there seems to be alot of experience in the room

Maybe you can school me a bit Sergio... Does this mean you've started your apprenticeship? What is the school you're talking about?

And the reason I'm asking is because apparently things have changed a bit. Back in 1985 I took a state test. Passed that, Went for an Interview with NEAT ( Northeastern Apprentice Training), then started a 7,000 hour program (OTJ Training and Book work). There were no pre-requisites.

loodvig
11-11-2013, 11:42 AM
Maybe you can school me a bit Sergio... Does this mean you've started your apprenticeship? What is the school you're talking about?

And the reason I'm asking is because apparently things have changed a bit. Back in 1985 I took a state test. Passed that, Went for an Interview with NEAT ( Northeastern Apprentice Training), then started a 7,000 hour program (OTJ Training and Book work). There were no pre-requisites.

I too went through the NEAT program.

Rob
11-11-2013, 11:50 AM
I too went through the NEAT program.

It seems Lood that these new apprentices are doing more and more Before even getting into the apprenticeship. Like these climbing schools they have out west, Construction classes, etc.

Alexyikes00
11-13-2013, 08:37 PM
Well, the classes im in right now are classes like electrical theory, wiring techniques, etc etc.. just general basic electrical classes. I will be taking the climbing class next semester which includes climbing and diffrent jobs on the pole. that class will provide me with a certificate, then from there I can go and apply for an apprenticeship at a utilty or wherever else..

Old Line Dog
11-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Well, the classes im in right now are classes like electrical theory, wiring techniques, etc etc.. just general basic electrical classes. I will be taking the climbing class next semester which includes climbing and diffrent jobs on the pole. that class will provide me with a certificate, then from there I can go and apply for an apprenticeship at a utilty or wherever else..

Good Luck Sergio. Seriously man.

When you graduate...You will have the "Basics" of the Line Trade.

I can't really associate with what you're goin thru right now, but certainly admire you for wanting to be a Lineman, and going to this School.

The trade has Changed SO much since I started in it, in 1968 as a grunt...in a muni.

The best of Luck to you Sergio! When you're learnin to climb...Keep your A$$ OUT from the pole man!:D

Good luck man!

Rob
11-14-2013, 12:09 PM

It use to be you would be taught all these things after you got into the apprenticeship.

Alexyikes00
11-15-2013, 02:21 AM
Good Luck Sergio. Seriously man.

When you graduate...You will have the "Basics" of the Line Trade.

I can't really associate with what you're goin thru right now, but certainly admire you for wanting to be a Lineman, and going to this School.

The trade has Changed SO much since I started in it, in 1968 as a grunt...in a muni.

The best of Luck to you Sergio! When you're learnin to climb...Keep your A$$ OUT from the pole man!:D

Good luck man!

Yea, I bet it was alot tougher to be a lineman in the 60s.. Thank you

and yes!.. thanks for all the advice.. Im going to be making a trip to "farwest lineman" to buy my gear really soon... im very excited

Alexyikes00
11-15-2013, 02:23 AM
It use to be you would be taught all these things after you got into the apprenticeship.

oh ok.. well in order to get accepted into the lineman class, you have to take these test, and also have some pre requisite classes (dc/ac theory, hand tools, wiring techniques) so ive been in electrical classes for about a year. Now im finally going to climb

Rob
11-15-2013, 11:18 AM
oh ok.. well in order to get accepted into the lineman class, you have to take these test, and also have some pre requisite classes (dc/ac theory, hand tools, wiring techniques) so ive been in electrical classes for about a year. Now im finally going to climb

Well Good Luck to you!

Alexyikes00
11-18-2013, 11:44 PM
Well Good Luck to you!

thank you Rob

BigClive
11-19-2013, 08:32 AM

But it's much more profitable to "train" people these days by luring them in with the promise that they might get a job after you've "trained" them.

Sadly with a bit of self promotion the "schools" will manage to convince the lesser management individuals that they should only employ pre-trained individuals and the traditional apprenticeship will gradually fade away.

Rob
11-25-2013, 02:51 PM
But it's much more profitable to "train" people these days by luring them in with the promise that they might get a job after you've "trained" them.

Sadly with a bit of self promotion the "schools" will manage to convince the lesser management individuals that they should only employ pre-trained individuals and the traditional apprenticeship will gradually fade away.

Makes sense Clive... I have heard that some of these "schools" can get expensive!!

Oliver Northh
03-30-2015, 02:48 AM
Im glad to be a member of the group.Im from the Ballsbrige area of the city of dublin, Ireland.Been a linesmen for decades.Going back to work for my ole company,National grid.Nice hearing from other chaps.

Rob
03-30-2015, 07:46 AM
Welcome Oliver ! Good luck with the grid... as we call em here.

Orgnizdlbr
03-30-2015, 08:21 AM
Welcome...... Where I'm at, we call them National Greed.......

Oliver Northh
04-01-2015, 11:20 PM
Welcome...... Where I'm at, we call them National Greed.......

THANKS GUYS:D....It was meant for Bren..I always get him on April Fools day....guess he was watching this year....I knew he would respond,but he didnt.........guess two out of three isnt too bad :D....anyway happy April fools day ........ http://powerlineman.com/lforum/showthread.php?10802-Safetyman-dies-from-spider-bite

DavidJack
07-31-2018, 03:24 PM
I'm David. I'm an engineer and I'm very interested in hunting, survival and outdoors activities. Besides, I know about chainsaw, table saw, drills, tools, etc. If you want to know something about these themes, don't doubt to ask me.

12kv Max
04-20-2019, 09:53 PM
Hi, I'm Max. I started learning linework 46 years ago by following Com Ed overhead crews in Chicago after school or summer break. Back then the water cooler was filled with cans of beer in the summer and the crews could get away with having a 14 year old kid in the work area. Those guys taught me a lot. They nurtured my interest in the trade. 'never got hired by Com Ed. It took a while but I joined IBEW local 9 and worked for the contractors for 27 years doing mostly overhead distribution Ironically, mostly on Com Ed property. I traveled a bit. 'worked storms in Detroit, New York, New Orleans. Spent a couple of years on Mid Am property in the Quad Cities. A couple years ago I retired. I always loved doing distribution. The things we do with the power on. Reconductoring, replacing poles. Building/ rebuilding big transformer banks. Paralleling banks. Jobs get done and the lights don't even flicker.....well, most of the time. I never cared for transmission. My career total is two 165ft 345 towers from ground to goathead.

The work takes it's toll on a lineman. Carpal tunnel, arthritis, rotator cuff, Knees, hips, eye cancer, finally a heart attack....had to retire early....couldn't be productive on a 3 man crew. In the old days They would give me a four man crew and utilize my experience. But that doesn't count with management these days.

Ed 65GTO
08-15-2020, 09:06 PM
Journeyman Lineman Living In New Jersy 38 years in the trade .Outside local some years Utility best years outside. Worked all phases of linework. Been to the top of the ladder in supervision. I have my Masters Degree (MBA). The times have changes since I started. I am on the down stroke with this journey.I am on the forums to share some stories and to give help and to share knowledge if I can