PDA

View Full Version : Any companies that hire off of the street?

jpickle
12-16-2009, 11:01 PM
Hey guys I live in Texas and want to get into this trade. I have a Cdl and experience operating heavy equipment. Are there any companies or contractors that hire off of the street?

Future Lineman
01-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Hey guys I live in Texas and want to get into this trade. I have a Cdl and experience operating heavy equipment. Are there any companies or contractors that hire off of the street?

im not real familiar with all that but i figured if anybody would it would be a contractor, they could care less who they hire. but now days most are hiring out of lineman schools. but with your cdl and heavy equipment operating you got a start.good luck

rcdallas
01-08-2010, 08:25 AM
There are... look for some smaller coops...

unionhand14
01-15-2010, 06:24 PM
I agree go to your local union hall and join as a groundman. try that for a yr. then apply to that halls njatc. you should be a groundman for a yr though to see if you like the work and if you can handle it. thats about as close to off the street as you can get and stay alive.

kitejkoch
01-15-2010, 08:04 PM
The larger corporations hire of the street and they have accredited apprenticeship programs. I.B.E.W. of course. Southern Company, Progress Energy ( In Florida), Tampa Electric, Tampa Bay area. And then what was already said about going to a Union hall. Good luck with it, its a great trade to learn. I always tell folks " As long as they are making babies, and until they come up with a way to sell a battery at Walmart to power your house for a month you'll have a job.