PDA

View Full Version : pike electric pole top rescue

topgroove
12-17-2009, 05:10 PM
http://m.youtube.com/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQwodQchPkLo&v=QwodQchPkLo&gl=US I think the video speaks for itself.

heelwinch
12-18-2009, 04:42 PM
I have seen that video before, where do you get that it is a Pike training???

I am not defending there approach to linework, but I think you are on a rant and are using undocumented facts to support it.

I worked on NIMO property for years and most your guys would have a hard time doing pole top rescue flying their fiberglass, say nothing of being in hooks.

gator
12-19-2009, 11:17 AM
i am 100% sure that this happend at SELCAT accidents even happen to the best

topgroove
12-19-2009, 11:26 AM
I have seen that video before, where do you get that it is a Pike training???

I am not defending there approach to linework, but I think you are on a rant and are using undocumented facts to support it.

I worked on NIMO property for years and most your guys would have a hard time doing pole top rescue flying their fiberglass, say nothing of being in hooks.
I Doubt you would even pass the skills test here. We've seen your crappy linework. crossarm braces fall off after six months. I doubt you could even climb a 35 foot service pole.

heelwinch
12-19-2009, 02:43 PM
I Doubt you would even pass the skills test here. We've seen your crappy linework. crossarm braces fall off after six months. I doubt you could even climb a 35 foot service pole.

Probably right, never installed too many cross arms on 35' poles, in fact never installed too many of either in transmission work, so what about the video???

You know I'm all about accountability when it comes to safety. I'm also all about accountability when it comes to slinging mud.

I have seen that you are on a wide spread campaign to stop your competition, and that's great. But when you start using evidence that has no basis, it makes you no better than the wrong do'er's you happen to be trying to convict.

I also feel that when you put in to perspective the amount of accidents that are taking place with the amount of employees a company has, you can find a direct correlation between the two.

I happen to know that NIMO/Grid has had it's share of accidents over the last few years, unfortunately the documentation is well hidden, unlike your competitions. I also know that a utility has a different atmosphere than does a contractor when it comes to completing jobs. And as much as you don't want to here it, speed is a primary factor when it comes to an employees ability to retain his employment with most contractors. And there aren't too many that work for time and material unless it is storm work. Another fact that should be used when comparing accident %'s between union/ contractor/ nonunion shops. Like it or not.

That being said, I also believe that this job CAN ( a little trick I learned from MI) be completed both safely and in a timely manner with the right hands on the job and the right GF's no where to be seen.;)

And before you tell me I couldn't hang, in "B"town.... been there, done it. Seeing how you assume you know my work, shoot me some of the structure Id's your having problems with I'll check my journals and see if I was on them.

topgroove
12-19-2009, 03:01 PM
so why not help... if you've read about all the fatalities involving apprentices working at pike why not lend a hand at exposing this sub-par contractor destroying the trade we both have pride in. This isn't a union, non-union tragedy it a dispicable company that kills young men and fires and cuts off benifits of theones that get hurt.

heelwinch
12-19-2009, 04:00 PM
so why not help... if you've read about all the fatalities involving apprentices working at pike why not lend a hand at exposing this sub-par contractor destroying the trade we both have pride in. This isn't a union, non-union tragedy it a dispicable company that kills young men and fires and cuts off benifits of theones that get hurt.

I'd be the first one there to beat there ass, if I had seen or heard from someone first hand what took place.

Being in the trade for as long as I was, I have seen my share of accidents, and to be perfectly honest with you, 95% of them were self inflicted, they had nothing to do with the conditions in which we were forced to work, had nothing to do with the victims training nor did it have anything to do with there experience pertaining to the job they were doing when they got hurt. And although they were mainly self inflicted accidents, I can only remember a handful of them ever being reprimanded for there actions, more so than not they were rewarded, large sums of money from both the contractors and unions, which in turn cost the rest of us who were working safely and expediently to make our employer money.

I guess what I am trying to say is I would rather not pass judgement on either party without being privy to the specifics. But hey... have at it. It is your god given right to pass judgement without knowing all the facts. Remember it may just come back to bite you in the ass... can you say "bucksqueeze"? Can you say sleeves and gloves... ground to ground???

topgroove
12-19-2009, 04:18 PM
I think we both can aggree when an apprentice with less than eighty days in the trade dies on a pole, its not the apprentice at fault. Its not the first fatality at pike under these circumstances over the last ten years its happened many times.

heelwinch
12-19-2009, 04:43 PM
I think we both can aggree when an apprentice with less than eighty days in the trade dies on a pole, its not the apprentice at fault. Its not the first fatality at pike under these circumstances over the last ten years its happened many times.

What is Pikes policy on Ape's in the primary?

Who's to say his foreman didn't put him their, while all along the ape new he wasn't supposed to be?

It's no different than you burning a stick, cause you weren't wearing your fall protection. Is that the companies fault? There are just too many variables for me to point fingers.

If any one was really at fault for an ape gettin burned, it in my opinion is ALL on the shoulders of the foreman. Period.
After reading and hearing about some of the practices of Pike and others I can say that with the information I have gotten I don't agree with their training policies... but then again I don't really know what their policy is???

I still think having to wear your lid 300' up on top of a tower is the stupidest thing I ever heard.:mad: That was a union thing.:rolleyes:

topgroove
12-19-2009, 05:03 PM
I guess you haven't read about This fatality. This poor kid had eighty days in the trade and Pike sent him in the primary alone. I see your new here.... Most of us have been here since this board was created. In the last ten years Pike has repeated this tradgedy over and over..... ENOUGH

heelwinch
12-19-2009, 05:12 PM
I guess you haven't read about This fatality. This poor kid had eighty days in the trade and Pike sent him in the primary alone. I see your new here.... Most of us have been here since this board was created. In the last ten years Pike has repeated this tradgedy over and over..... ENOUGH

Yes I am new hear. I retired in 2000. and up until last year had better things to do besides surf the net. But fortunately I am able to do this now to pass the time.

topgroove
12-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Fine I guess you too busy to give a $hit. There of those of who do!

heelwinch
12-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Fine I guess you too busy to give a $hit. There of those of who do!

I give a shit, post the facts and I'll give a shit ... a lot more. So where did the video come from?

There is really no reason to get mad at me when I'm trying to have an intelligent discussion about this subject. Unless of course it's all propaganda.

Stinger
12-23-2009, 08:05 AM
You know the saddest part of this story and all the other stories of Pike? J. Eric Pike is on the OSHA panel for promoting electical safety and implementation of OSHA requirements for electical contractors. Says a lot of the way OSHA thinks and operates ,don't it.