PDA

View Full Version : sooo...

hvac dude
04-06-2010, 07:53 AM
i'm gonna be 33 this monday, and i've pondered the thought of being a lineman. been doing hvac for over 10 years. completly burned out in that field and the economy has just about killed this profession. am i too old to get into this profession?

Boomer gone soft
04-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Happy birthday!

You're never too old to try do something new....look at Swamprat-- he still wants to be a lineman, too!:D

I wouldn't waste my time or money on line school......get in touch with the IBEW local in your area (You can find them in the phonebook or just google it). When you call, ask if they are an "outside lineman local"; if they are not ask which local in that area is. Then sign the books as a groundman, and ask to apply for the JATC apprenticeship. You'll be able to work (if/when there is work) as a groundman with the crews and see first-hand if this job is for you.

When you go through the JATC apprenticeship, you get to "earn while you learn". That's especially important if you have a mortgage and family.

More info:

www.njatc.org
www.ibew.org

BTW, don't listen to the non-union pukes on here.....you'll want the best training, best conditions, and best wages for yourself and your family-- WORK UNION!

Good luck to you, and I hope to be able to call you "brother" some day!:)

hvac dude
04-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Happy birthday!

You're never too old to try do something new....look at Swamprat-- he still wants to be a lineman, too!:D

I wouldn't waste my time or money on line school......get in touch with the IBEW local in your area (You can find them in the phonebook or just google it). When you call, ask if they are an "outside lineman local"; if they are not ask which local in that area is. Then sign the books as a groundman, and ask to apply for the JATC apprenticeship. You'll be able to work (if/when there is work) as a groundman with the crews and see first-hand if this job is for you.

When you go through the JATC apprenticeship, you get to "earn while you learn". That's especially important if you have a mortgage and family.

More info:

www.njatc.org
www.ibew.org

BTW, don't listen to the non-union pukes on here.....you'll want the best training, best conditions, and best wages for yourself and your family-- WORK UNION!

Good luck to you, and I hope to be able to call you "brother" some day!:)

really appreciate the help... there's a njatc outfit here in atlanta. gonna give them a call this morning!

pre_apprentice_ID
04-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Did you call the jatc yet??
How long is the waiting list? Good luck, but it might be a while.