PDA

View Full Version : Time Capsule

Highplains Drifter
05-01-2010, 05:55 PM
When working in Los Vegas, the steel poles we where setting where two piece. The bottom piece at the joint was capped one foot down. As a spur of the moment we got a new hard hat, union sticker-ed it and all signed our names with a sharpie and dated it. If I would have had the time I would have put a news paper with that days date in there too. I like to put IBEW stickers on the top of transformers, just to remind folks we where there. Have any of you guys done a Union time capsule?

bones
05-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Nah...but I've cussed out many a former lineman for leaving me nice boulders, various railroad parts , or tangled fence wire "time capsules" beside the poles I must replace:mad::rolleyes::)

I suppose if I hand dug a canyon of a hole back in the day, I'd throw a car door in the pit also. Ehh, why not?

Special ED
05-01-2010, 09:10 PM
I've left stickers and signatures along with dates on transformers in back lots on storm all over the country.

electric squirrel
05-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Ditto on the above!:cool:

Special ED
05-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Everything labled "Hooch" 2000 and later is me.. 1998 and before is my father. They are out there everywhere.

Trbl639
05-03-2010, 09:17 PM
I've left stickers and signatures along with dates on transformers in back lots on storm all over the country.

Done the same Special Ed...........there are several pole top pins scattered around on the florida coast with my moniker on em!!!!

BookII
05-03-2010, 09:23 PM
I left a bucksqueeeze at the bottom of a pole hole....:D

Edge
05-05-2010, 09:41 PM
I had an old pole buddie that cut IBEW backwards into the top die of the 100ton... every loop and DE and spilce we press on al. had the IBEW logo on every crimp... he's dead and gone now but he did some of the prettiest work I've ever seen... and his stamp is prolly still on a ton of lines...

for what it's worth...

Edge

Highplains Drifter
05-06-2010, 10:36 PM
I had an old pole buddie that cut IBEW backwards into the top die of the 100ton... every loop and DE and spilce we press on al. had the IBEW logo on every crimp... he's dead and gone now but he did some of the prettiest work I've ever seen... and his stamp is prolly still on a ton of lines...

for what it's worth...

Edge

I love this story!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!:D

BigClive
05-07-2010, 05:11 AM
Without wanting to be a killjoy, I'd suggest against a sudden rush of grinding logos into crimping dies. You can bet that in this day and age if a suitably embossed crimp failed somewhere they'd blame the "unauthorised modification". :o

Edge
05-07-2010, 07:22 PM
Without wanting to be a killjoy, I'd suggest against a sudden rush of grinding logos into crimping dies. You can bet that in this day and age if a suitably embossed crimp failed somewhere they'd blame the "unauthorised modification". :o

no shit Clive... it ain't a good idea to modify ANY tool... just telling a story...

thanks for the check...

Edge

BookII
05-09-2010, 07:22 PM

for what it's worth...

Edge

I've seen a penny imbeded into a dead end sleeve before...

never_forget_our_brothers
05-10-2010, 04:57 AM
I see nothing wrong with it either and have left marks myself.

BigClive
05-10-2010, 06:10 AM
I've seen a penny imbeded into a dead end sleeve before...

What's the bet it was packer because they didn't have the right die. :rolleyes:

jozmo
05-10-2010, 01:21 PM
I worked for a company that had name stamps for each crew . These stamps were used on splices made by that crew . If there was a failure they knew who to blame .

BigClive
05-10-2010, 07:59 PM
And I worked for a company that tried to make its guys mark their work so any problems could be traced back, and the guys refused to do it.

No probs, you can often tell who did a particular job by their quirks. :rolleyes: