PDA

View Full Version : Question about joining a union before experience.

wantafastz28
09-20-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm was told it would be a good choice to sign up for an ibew union in my area and start signing the books even though i have no prior experience. If I was to do this, am i expecting for them to calling me for groundman/grunt work or groundman work as the beginning of an apprenticeship? Can't seem to get a straight answer. Desperate to get into the line of work lol. Not sure if this goes in the newbie section or union related question.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

BT1101
09-20-2010, 04:23 PM
if you signed the books you would be on book 4, so all the people on books 1, 2, and 3 will be called before you. Groundman is not the start of an apprenticeship, it dose how ever get you experience so when you do decide to apply for an apprenticeship you will be a more desirable cantidate for the position.

wantafastz28
09-20-2010, 05:34 PM
if you signed the books you would be on book 4, so all the people on books 1, 2, and 3 will be called before you. Groundman is not the start of an apprenticeship, it dose how ever get you experience so when you do decide to apply for an apprenticeship you will be a more desirable cantidate for the position.

Thanks BT, i figured I'd be on the bottom of the totem pole when signing them, but gotta start somewhere i guess lol.

BT1101
09-20-2010, 09:46 PM
exactly, and while you wait you can look into apprenticeship on the NJATC website.

wantafastz28
09-20-2010, 09:57 PM
exactly, and while you wait you can look into apprenticeship on the NJATC website.

Already in the process... such a bummer to hear i might been waiting years to get a chance to be able to prove myself... Thanks again. :)

Highplains Drifter
09-21-2010, 07:36 AM
I'm was told it would be a good choice to sign up for an ibew union in my area and start signing the books even though i have no prior experience. If I was to do this, am i expecting for them to calling me for groundman/grunt work or groundman work as the beginning of an apprenticeship? Can't seem to get a straight answer. Desperate to get into the line of work lol. Not sure if this goes in the newbie section or union related question.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

No you placed this in the right section and I would recommend that you get your CDL,CPR and First Aid. Every Local has different rules for membership so when you get your first call ask them when you can apply for membership. Good Luck!!

wantafastz28
09-21-2010, 10:03 AM
No you placed this in the right section and I would recommend that you get your CDL,CPR and First Aid. Every Local has different rules for membership so when you get your first call ask them when you can apply for membership. Good Luck!!

Taking cdl permit test today, figure i might as well get all that stuff done. :)

wantafastz28
09-21-2010, 11:10 AM
See you have a problem already. You figured!!
When I retired we had newbies coming in that quit WalMart the week before after being excepted into the program. Some were bright and eager. Some got by the board with no clue, and when I started dressing them out in safety equipment like rubber gloves and sleeves they start questioning what is all this stuff for. They were a year away from needing it, but all apprentices get outfitting in case they need to make up a guy on the ground or handle a pole being set.

What you haven't told us is your location. Below is the IBEW Training locater page and some other useful information. If you are serious about the trade and have the educational background good luck. If you just want a big pay check buy a gun and hold up banks.
In 43 years I have only written recommendations for 4 people to be excepted into the apprenticeship program. I have written and testify against about 9 individuals to be removed from the program, due to unsafe or unqualified and unreliable apprentices. That is how much I care for this trade. My grand nephew came to me last year and I gave him the same information and when he ask for a letter of recommendation I flat told him no, since he has never completed anything he started. He has made a five year career of changing his major and his life plans on his future including agriculture teacher sports coach, Agriculture management. and lineman. So if you want this trade work for it. Signing the books, talking to the people at the hall, asking them about what they recommend, and getting on the interview list for an apprenticeship is your responsibility and the way you handle it around the ones that make those decisions will be viewed either positively or negatively.

http://www.njatc.org/training/find.aspx

Thanks Sbatts, I'm currently jumping between Lake Havasu City and Phoenix, AZ. I already have the application form for ibew 769, but i figured it would make more sense to have my cdl, firstaid, cpr first, then start signing the books. Trust me I've bugged more lineman then you know trying to pick their brain about what would help me get in the field. I worked next to lineman quite a bit when i was doing construction/maint. in the cable/fiber field(apples and oranges i know, but at least i saw what their work entails), which is what got my attention originally in the profession(not the money). Just looking for the best way to be able to show SOMEONE I'm a hard worker, and i know how to keep my mouth shut unless it's an important question. I'm sure you know just like everyone else, I've asked 10 different ppl their opinions on signing books, lineman school, jatc, and have gotten 10 different answers, which i guess is better than none. :)

Mike

smoky
09-29-2010, 05:15 PM
Not sure how it is down south but over the last ten years many companies in the upper midwest now require completion of line school to even be considered for a job. Which by the way I think is a bunch of crap, unfortunatly it is what it is. My point being if you plan on working for a union contractor for your whole career more power to you. Not sure what your history is but it takes a certain type of person to handle being on the road forever, generally great at first but ten years into it your feelings may change. Anyway think long term and don't limit your options.

wantafastz28
09-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Not sure how it is down south but over the last ten years many companies in the upper midwest now require completion of line school to even be considered for a job. Which by the way I think is a bunch of crap, unfortunatly it is what it is. My point being if you plan on working for a union contractor for your whole career more power to you. Not sure what your history is but it takes a certain type of person to handle being on the road forever, generally great at first but ten years into it your feelings may change. Anyway think long term and don't limit your options.

I'd love to be able to stay working in Phx.(a coop) but i know when I'm a nobody like i am now, i can't really be picky on where i work. Maybe someday though.

smoky
09-29-2010, 09:37 PM
If that's where you want to work I would recommend giving them a call and ask if they require line school as a prerequisite. If they don't, great sign up at your local union hall and get some expierence. If they do, go to a certified line school and get it over with. Nine months probaly seems like a long time at the moment but 40 years working where you don't want to be will be a lot longer.

wantafastz28
09-29-2010, 11:35 PM
If that's where you want to work I would recommend giving them a call and ask if they require line school as a prerequisite. If they don't, great sign up at your local union hall and get some expierence. If they do, go to a certified line school and get it over with. Nine months probaly seems like a long time at the moment but 40 years working where you don't want to be will be a lot longer.

I've already looked, they are currently on a hiring freeze, but yes they do hire directly out of a lineman college thats out here in the area. Unfortunately I'm stuck waiting to take the school until next year.