PDA

View Full Version : What do you do in the rain - rain day

crcarey
11-05-2010, 10:39 AM
What do you do when it’s raining out? Some stay in the shop and work on the barn and trucks, some drive out to the job site and wait to see if the rain stops, some put on rain gear and get the job done, some pre-check other jobs… What do you do when it rains out?

Bear
11-05-2010, 02:15 PM
Raingear on and work unless it's completely full-on. Not on anything where the rain could make things dangerous for us though.

electric squirrel
11-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Head for the duck blind........

Pootnaigle
11-05-2010, 07:05 PM
I hadda sayin the first drop is Gods fault the second is mine.

heelwinch
11-05-2010, 08:09 PM
I hadda sayin the first drop is Gods fault the second is mine.

I have heard that saying before... I sent most of them home so we could get the job done.

If your building new and the only risk is your new shirt momma bought ya.... then suck it up.

If there is a risk... see ya in the mornin. Most utilitys let em ride around in the trucks... you have to have coverage in case of outages... part of the game, contractors ... we got our show up time and then went home to mama.

Highplains Drifter
11-05-2010, 10:20 PM
I don't even go in for my show up pay, the exposure of having an accident isn't worth it and an accident would cost lots more than a few pennies. Actually I see if the folks I am working for are good enough to pay the show up pay without being there. If they don't, I start looking for a better job. I used to work with a cat called Snowball, he could beat a snowflake to the ground and off to the bar we'd head.:rolleyes:

MI-Lineman
11-06-2010, 09:32 AM
Spoken like a "union" man...:rolleyes:

Well for once Swamp your right!:eek: If his contract states he's not to work in inclement weather and he adheres to it then yes he's a true "Union man" for followin it!:cool:

I got my d!ck knocked in the dirt quite a few times non-Union cause I was pressed to work in the rain.:(

neil macgregor
11-06-2010, 05:01 PM
i think in the last week its stopped raining for about 4-5 hours at work
its wet gear /drying rooms at night then wet gear the next day for us

MI-Lineman
11-06-2010, 09:42 PM
I have heard that saying before... I sent most of them home so we could get the job done.?????

If your building new and the only risk is your new shirt momma bought ya.... then suck it up.

If there is a risk... see ya in the mornin. Most utilitys let em ride around in the trucks... you have to have coverage in case of outages... part of the game, contractors ... we got our show up time and then went home to mama.

Huh? Thought you told us you never were a crew leader???? More lies!! You can't even send a Women "meter reader" from this forum I doubt you chased any one off your job site? UNLESS OF COURSE YOU WERE CHASIN THAT WHORE YOU CHEATED ON YOUR WONDERFUL LATE WIFE WITH DOWN THE STREET!:rolleyes:

heelwinch
11-06-2010, 09:50 PM
Huh? Thought you told us you never were a crew leader???? More lies!! You can't even send a Women "meter reader" from this forum I doubt you chased any one off your job site? UNLESS OF COURSE YOU WERE CHASIN THAT WHORE YOU CHEATED ON YOUR WONDERFUL LATE WIFE WITH DOWN THE STREET!:rolleyes:

You know some one that has the problems you do at home really shouldn't be judgeing any one elses home life.

You don't know shit about me and what I know about you makes me realize that you have more ghosts in your closet than I have had in 75 years.

You want to start shit with my family, that's deceased bring it on... just don't start crying when it gets too deep for you.

topgroove
11-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Why don't you tell everyone here what put you in that chair:rolleyes:

heelwinch
11-06-2010, 10:06 PM
Why don't you tell everyone here what put you in that chair:rolleyes:

A stroke 8.5 months after I retired... what put you in yours???

topgroove
11-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Perfect:D The big ones on its way:eek: This time its gonna leave you compleatly unable to move. You won't last long. Why don't you do something usefull and pick out your grave. Let me and MI know so we can piss on your grave.

heelwinch
11-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Perfect:D The big ones on its way:eek: This time its gonna leave you compleatly unable to move. You won't last long. Why don't you do something usefull and pick out your grave. Let me and MI know so we can piss on your grave.

Maybe it is ... maybe it aint... either way I'll leave this world with more than you.

See you and your pals are nothing more than puppets that live by your masters, I lived by the hand that fed me... my own, I didn't give a shit what any one on any job told me... If I didn't like it, or it wasn't safe, I did it my way, with or with out you. That's hard for you to grip because you are spoon fed, just like the rest of your generation.

Crawl up your buddy SBATTS ass and live your comfy warm life... it
s no problem, just don't look forward to getting your kids in the trade because you, MI and EL have ruined it with your constant whining.

Now be a good boy and go change that bulb on 5 and 7th street.

MI-Lineman
11-06-2010, 10:28 PM
You know some one that has the problems you do at home really shouldn't be judgeing any one elses home life.

You don't know shit about me and what I know about you makes me realize that you have more ghosts in your closet than I have had in 75 years.

You want to start shit with my family, that's deceased bring it on... just don't start crying when it gets too deep for you.

Uh oh! Someone's gettin upset again! HEY @SS HOLE YOU'RE THE ONE WHO TOLD US ABOUT THE WHORE IN THE HOTEL ROOM REMEMBER! You've also brought up how you missed your wife which in my opinion made her a pretty damn good women to have made you happy? I never said one bad thing about your wife and never would AND DON'T FORGET.......once again your cryin foul after you yourself crossed the line when you tried bringin my ol man into a past "conversation!";)

And I wonder what makes you think you know me so well????? Not really but tell me about these "ghosts" I have O wise and whimsical heelb!tch? You all of a sudden want us to feel sorry for you after the sh!t that dribbles from tween your c@cksuckers? Do you desire to compare each others problems??? OK! I'll start.....You had a lengthy and presumed happy life with your wife! I had about 9 months before this disease started takin my son! 2. Your wife has passed and although I don't know how long (if she did?) she suffered but my son has been dying every day since 9 months and if he at least makes it as long as the docs say he will have suffered in front of me for around 20 years!

I'll stop here cause I know your probably just rollin your eyes at this sayin "boohoo" and let you chime in and make me cry but I must warn you nothin can make me cry more or be more sad than watchin my own flesh and blood rot away which is why I laugh when YOU drop innuendos implyin workin towers or higher voltages wouldn't be for me? There isn't anything (includin defendin Unionism from the likes of you!:rolleyes:) I wouldn't do for my family and Union and nothin, NOTHIN scares me more than the day I bury my son!

SO FIRE AWAY @SSHOLE! I KNEW IT WOULDN'T BE BENEATH YOU TO ATTACK ONES FAMILY!

topgroove
11-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Maybe it is ... maybe it aint... either way I'll leave this world with more than you.

See you and your pals are nothing more than puppets that live by your masters, I lived by the hand that fed me... my own, I didn't give a shit what any one on any job told me... If I didn't like it, or it wasn't safe, I did it my way, with or with out you. That's hard for you to grip because you are spoon fed, just like the rest of your generation.

s no problem, just don't look forward to getting your kids in the trade because you, MI and EL have ruined it with your constant whining.

You'll leave this world a miserable,disgusting,worthless piece of $hit. The only happiness you'll bring is when you take your last breath:D. Your family will be relieved when its finally over. Why don't you do everyone a favor and stick that piece of crap pistol you got in your mouth and pull the trigger. Better do it fast pretty soon you won't even manage that:D

MI-Lineman
11-06-2010, 10:43 PM

BTW! MY SON AND HIS DISORDER ISN'T A PROBLEM! HE'S A BLESSING!:) But that's the difference between me and you I guess? You're never happy!:(

electriklady
11-07-2010, 04:20 AM

Bad news for you.......we all leave the world with the same thing......NOTHING!!!!!!!!!! You live in a world filled with your own delusions of how people should speak, think or behave. You think you are better than everyone and smarter than everyone.......when in all reality......you are a little man who uses his health problems as a excuse to run your hateful mouth anyway you please. You are a sad excuse for a human being.....oh and pretty representative of how "repubLICKans" think. Arrogant and full of $hit.

Oh and in case you think we are all "heartbroken" about the election this week.....Think again!!!!!! I, for one have not lost one minute of sleep over it....but if it makes you feel better to think we have.....knock yourself out.......I am pretty sure there are not many people on here who care what you think.......other than yourself.

wtdoor67
11-07-2010, 07:10 AM
The only time I ever worked in the rain was during emergencies. All other was just rat mentality I thought.

Any foreman who thought you should work in the rain was just scared of the supt. If we had a weather clause, I just cabbed up and told em I didn't work in the rain.

Routine work is dangerous when it's wet. People who are scared to go by their agreement will get someone hurt someday.

The only exception I ever thought was talking to guys from the Pac. N.W. One told me that since there was always a light drizzle up there a lot you really had no choice but to wear your sleeves and keep on working. However I expect that's why sticking is so prevalent in that part of the country.

A foreman who "sends people home" so he can get the job done, is no foreman. He's a suckass in my books. There's so much more important than getting the job done. Safety and welfare of the people you're working with should always be utmost.

Highplains Drifter
11-07-2010, 08:04 AM
The only time I ever worked in the rain was during emergencies. All other was just rat mentality I thought..

That's why there are Rainy Day Women (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1lhzi4uU8o):cool::cool:

heelwinch
11-07-2010, 08:44 AM
The only time I ever worked in the rain was during emergencies. All other was just rat mentality I thought.

Any foreman who thought you should work in the rain was just scared of the supt. If we had a weather clause, I just cabbed up and told em I didn't work in the rain.

Routine work is dangerous when it's wet. People who are scared to go by their agreement will get someone hurt someday.

The only exception I ever thought was talking to guys from the Pac. N.W. One told me that since there was always a light drizzle up there a lot you really had no choice but to wear your sleeves and keep on working. However I expect that's why sticking is so prevalent in that part of the country.

A foreman who "sends people home" so he can get the job done, is no foreman. He's a suckass in my books. There's so much more important than getting the job done. Safety and welfare of the people you're working with should always be utmost.

Not really.... it's called "utility" mentality. Contract isn't camp cupcake utility hand. We have a job to do everyday... not if the suns shining.

Most the hands that went home when it was inclement, were usually the ones that were always on the list... you know the type, always cabbin up, using all their floaters during hunting season, out on WC with a sprained opposing thumb.

It's your game.. every one choses how they play. Some win, some cab up.

wtdoor67
11-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Had a friend who related a funny. He was working for some contractor outside Wheatland, Wy., I guess during the 70's.

They could hear a clerk trying to raise the supt. of the job involved in building the powerhouse which involved Ironworkers, Inside Wiremen and other trades.

Since the linecrew he was on used the same frequency they became annoyed at the repeated calls by the clerk for his supt. Finally he said. One of our grunts grabbed the mike and answered as if he were the Supt. being paged. "Yeah, what do you want?" The clerk. "I've got all these Ironworkers here, what do you want to do with em?" The line crew grunt answered. "Send em home." They were getting a little weather, probably snow.

He said that evening in the bar they overheard the Ironworkers bitching. One said. "Yeah we showed up this morning and the SOB sent us to the house."

The linecrew folks thought it very funny.

wtdoor67
11-07-2010, 09:29 AM
Not really.... it's called "utility" mentality. Contract isn't camp cupcake utility hand. We have a job to do everyday... not if the suns shining.

Most the hands that went home when it was inclement, were usually the ones that were always on the list... you know the type, always cabbin up, using all their floaters during hunting season, out on WC with a sprained opposing thumb.

It's your game.. every one choses how they play. Some win, some cab up.

I have worked for rat contractors. We did not work in the rain.

You know what? Hunting is a hellofa lot more important to me than getting the job done. Yes I've missed some hunting because of work.

However those who always lived from payday to payday were always at the mercy of the bosses.

What do you think your former employers thought of you? I bet they thought here is a guy we can push around. What did all that misplaced loyalty get you? I bet few remember your name. Just remember when we're all gone no one will give a shit.

The guys I remember? They were ass busters but when management violated their personal code they weren't afraid to stand up and say. Up yours, I'm not doing it.

When all of your memories consist of when you were working then you weren't doing enough with your family and friends. You were a slave.

topgroove
11-07-2010, 10:14 AM
Keep in mind door, this is a guy who never worked anything hot in his life. All he did was transmision work. This nitwit couldn't work hot distribution work if his life depended on it. Now he comes on here and says he worked in the rain. He's sitting in his wheelchair right now with a steamy load in his diapers.

electriklady
11-07-2010, 11:37 AM
I have worked for rat contractors. We did not work in the rain.

You know what? Hunting is a hellofa lot more important to me than getting the job done. Yes I've missed some hunting because of work.

However those who always lived from payday to payday were always at the mercy of the bosses.

What do you think your former employers thought of you? I bet they thought here is a guy we can push around. What did all that misplaced loyalty get you? I bet few remember your name. Just remember when we're all gone no one will give a shit.

The guys I remember? They were ass busters but when management violated their personal code they weren't afraid to stand up and say. Up yours, I'm not doing it.

When all of your memories consist of when you were working then you weren't doing enough with your family and friends. You were a slave.

Companies love guys like that who will violate the contract......it sets a precident........and they look at him as the weak link that he is.....the a$$ kisser that he is.

Companies that tout how safety conscious they are but push people to violate the contract by working in the rain make me sick. Lets think about it.........rain..........we dont even have to go into the facts of the water and electricity.......If there is an outage....an emergency I know each and every one of you have worked your "butts" off to get the job done. Rain reduces visability, rain reduces traction, rain reduces the stability of the ground, rain makes all things it touches "slippery," ie tools, metal surfaces, the ground. It is something that by its physical properties raises the risk of an accident, thus making it a safety hazard.......one that can be avoided if one just uses some common sense.......dont work in it if you dont have to, if it is not an emergency, the risk of an injury goes way down if you dont expose yourself to the serious hazards that rain brings with it.

I do not have an inclement weather clause.....but I have a personal safety code that I follow. I will not put my health in jeopardy by doing things in conditions that are likely to raise the risk of an accident happening. I had a couple of 3 phase orders on Friday.......It was a constant rain.......were they something that was imperitve to do on Friday? no! I did not do them. I have all kinds of orders to do in a day.....some of them are far safer to work in the rain than others, and those are the ones I concentrate on, other than the ones that are mandated "must do" for that day(a customer turn on)....I certainly have enough work that if I choose not to do certain things in the rain due to the safety issue that I can stay busy and productive all day long.....but idiots like Heelwinch run his mouth like if we are not out there doing everything the company will try to push us to do......we are lazy and doing nothing.....again....an embarassment to the union.

Highplains Drifter
11-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Of course EL I know some of those meter personal have it documented on what side of the building the meter is so they can work in the shade in hot weather and out of the wind in cold weather.

glover
11-07-2010, 06:22 PM
I believe I read somewhere that working in the rain with electric,even 120 volts
can increase your chances of electrocution by 400%, If we were gloving and Had a must do job we switched over to sticks, at least most sticks have a rain shield. Usually had to call another crew who was sitting on their butts, but we had to get the job done, an old folks home, oxygen, suction machines,etc, so just could not bag up an leave, but when complete we all went home and changed into dry clothes. then back to the trucks and hopefully no more
Emergency jobs that day. there were not many days like that but if your stuck in an unusual situation ya gota do what ya gota do.:cool:

wtdoor67
11-07-2010, 09:49 PM
Ever get caught in the rain while gloving on about 7200 or there abouts? It will eat your ass plumb up. Try it and you'll quickly understand why it's against safety rules.

Even sticks in a down pour will eat on you.

glover
11-07-2010, 10:10 PM
started a 3Phase hit pole, gloving, in 5 minutes it started to rain, started to get tore up, swapped over to sticks a little better not much, did just absolutly what we had to do and made it safe and quit. no fun, no way, after that first experience we always looked up and checked mother nature. it's a good way to live and learn.

wtdoor67
11-08-2010, 06:46 AM
Did you do routine work in the rain? If you did you were a rat. In most of the country a few days missed because of rain is not gonna effect the bottom line. Just those that are afraid of the boss work in the rain.

Actually it goes without saying no one can work hot stuff in the rain. A no brainer. Some though have no brain.

wtdoor67
11-08-2010, 01:52 PM
Did you read what I said?:rolleyes:

Rarely. :scratches ass:

duckhunter
11-08-2010, 04:05 PM
That is what pays me well enough to hunt and fish.

wtdoor67
11-08-2010, 04:37 PM
Anybody who can't dodge a few lightning flashes can't be much of a hand.

If you can't keep your footing during a winter down pour then call in sick or something.

Yens what got rain suits, gettem on and get out there. Yous dat ain't got rain suits fall in after em.

If that stuff eats on you when it's raining then you just got over sensitive nerves. Sides, you can't live for ever. If you missing a few digits when you retire, it don't matter. Insurance will pay you ever time you lose one.

Don't want to get too many accidents in the old file tho, might have to get you in a one man layoff.

Walmart can always use another greeter.

electriklady
11-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Ya don't work in the Rain EL. Even Pike doesn't work in the rain. And, I ain't worked for a company that does. So cut the Hype bullshit.:rolleyes: It's a crock of shit.

It's common fu$kin sense for gods sake.
Yeah, If it's "sprinklin", I'll finish up and get it in a safe position and come down.

There ain't ANY damn company that requires their people to work in the Rain. So like I said...quite the Bullshit. When it's Rainin...ya get the hell out of the rain. WTF.....:rolleyes:

Do meter readers work in the rain? Hell no. They might "slip" on the wet sidewalk or grass.:rolleyes: LAWSUITE!!!!!!

There you go ......flapping the gums when you dont know what you are talking about........If a foreman tells a crew "You will do that job" and they refuse.....and then the 3 men who refused to do the job got a letter in their file for refusing to follow his command(and I will have to look into it but seems like I remember that they got three days off with no pay also, I work with one of them, I will ask him tomorrow)...that foreman is a representative of the company so if the punishment is condoned does that not mean the company is trying to force a crew to work in the rain.....and I dont mean a light drizzle, I mean a torrential rain.

Our meter readers work in the rain snow sleet and hail......The only time they stay in is if the roads are so dangerous with snow or ice that they are an imminent threat to be on. I read meters for 16 years, always worked in the rain......no inclement weather clause. I remember one arrogant lineman who always used to rub it in....we would come in just soaked to the bone and he would periodically ask if "it bothered us to have to work in the rain while the linemen sat in the warm building all day?" and then he would snicker. What an a$$hole that man was! I hated him with a passion. Thank God he is long gone and no one like him ever came to work there like him after he left. He was the laziest jackass I ever met. I have no inclement weather clause either. I just decide myself what is safe to do and what isnt.....but I do not stay in the building....If I have shop work to do I may delay my leave time if it is supposed to clear up. If not....I am out in it......I do final reads, high bill complaints, rate inquiries, etc, but "turn ons" are mandated by the Public Utility commision to be done that day......they are considered "must do." My boss doenst give me an "shit" if I say I am not doing something in the rain, but I know some that are exactly the opposite.

You wonder why I am always "supporting the working class"......you are not out in the working world today, and you dont see what these big companies are trying to do.......the orders may not come from the top(and some do) but......if no one backs the employee then the behavior is condoned by the top. Like Door said it is some supervisor who is either afraid of the his boss, or some schmuck trying to make himself look good so he can get a fat promotion, where he can make even more money for doing an even worse job than he is already doing. Don't live in a dream world and act like it doesnt happen......you are retired, you do not see how things are, and how the workers are being "screwed" more each and every day. You act like I make this $HIT up. Damn, you are like talking to a wall.

heelwinch
11-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Anybody who can't dodge a few lightning flashes can't be much of a hand.

If you can't keep your footing during a winter down pour then call in sick or something.

Yens what got rain suits, gettem on and get out there. Yous dat ain't got rain suits fall in after em.

If that stuff eats on you when it's raining then you just got over sensitive nerves. Sides, you can't live for ever. If you missing a few digits when you retire, it don't matter. Insurance will pay you ever time you lose one.

Don't want to get too many accidents in the old file tho, might have to get you in a one man layoff.

Walmart can always use another greeter.

iT'S ALL GOOD BROTHER "DOOR". You were the type of man that unions were founded on.
It doesn't matter if the co. makes it's contract or not... the next one will pick you up. I mean hell there are only so many " A " lineman out there right?

It's all good... you cab up, I'll be there to take up the slack. I should say I "was" there to take up the slack.

If you don't have enough common sense to know when to back off or keep working then you really didn't belong in this trade to begin with. 12 drops in a 2' circle don't mean shit to me when it quits 45 minutes later... you just cab up we get it done with out you.

wtdoor67
11-08-2010, 07:39 PM
I know Stephen, the cab on that crane kept the rain off. Well that's different than actually being out in it.

You remind me of a non-working foreman I had once. He'd drive up in his pickup with the heater roaring. Somebody would say. Damn, J.B., it's starting to get a little nasty out. He'd roll the window down about 3 inches and say. Aw, it don't seem too bad out there. Different perspective I guess.

Long as you had a good heater in that crane you could probably hack it all day long. What a toughie.

heelwinch
11-08-2010, 07:49 PM
I know Stephen, the cab on that crane kept the rain off. Well that's different than actually being out in it.

You remind me of a non-working foreman I had once. He'd drive up in his pickup with the heater roaring. Somebody would say. Damn, J.B., it's starting to get a little nasty out. He'd roll the window down about 3 inches and say. Aw, it don't seem too bad out there. Different perspective I guess.

Long as you had a good heater in that crane you could probably hack it all day long. What a toughie.

You got it ... I was in the crane when they couldn't buy an operator... same with anything else... It's called diversifacation.... something most hands don't care about.

You just cab up... I'll cover your ass.

wtdoor67
11-08-2010, 08:18 PM
You got it ... I was in the crane when they couldn't buy an operator... same with anything else... It's called diversifacation.... something most hands don't care about.

You just cab up... I'll cover your ass.

Thanks Stephen, I appreciate it. I only did a measly 36 years in the trade but, I bet I worked in inclement weather as much or more than you. However I did most of it alone, in a pickup and only did it to get folks lights back on. Climbed alone? At night? Oh hell yes, mucho. Now they have a phobia about that The definition of emergency under the contract was life, limb or destruction of property. No lights meant emergency. However I just could not see doing routine, de-energized construction in the rain or driving snow. Wasn't that desperate I guess.

heelwinch
11-08-2010, 08:33 PM

SO first I'm a rat... now you are.. You think someones lights out are an emergency??

You know there really is no reason for us to get ugly at each other for a differnece in opinion over inclement weather.
When it was workable I worked... alot of other hands wouldn't but I did.
I don't think any less of you for "cabbing up" as you call it.
You have a mind of your own, I wan't there. I can't make those calls for anyone else.
I don't judge you on that. You should have the same respect for my judgement.

wtdoor67
11-08-2010, 10:00 PM
SO first I'm a rat... now you are.. You think someones lights out are an emergency??

You know there really is no reason for us to get ugly at each other for a differnece in opinion over inclement weather.
When it was workable I worked... alot of other hands wouldn't but I did.
I don't think any less of you for "cabbing up" as you call it.
You have a mind of your own, I wan't there. I can't make those calls for anyone else.
I don't judge you on that. You should have the same respect for my judgement.

Buddy, I don't mind you working in the rain. I've done it a little but only till we could dog things off and get in the dry. I just think if it's in your contract you shouldn't. To each his own conscience.

Lights off are considered by some to fall under emergency. In the winter if your heating system has some electric component, life support equipment, meat thawing out in your freezer, there are probably others. The fish in your fish tank losing it's little aerator. Air conditioning can be real crucial on some folks.

I recall once on a bad URD secondary crawling under a small trailer house and making a temporary hookup. Very cold about 20 below. Single Mom with 2 kids. It was bad past the meter (not our responsibility) but how you gonna drive off and leave somebody in such a fix? I've worked with a few that would do it, but I never could.

A no power in some businesses can cost some small businessman a lot of money. In my book a no power is not bad, unless it's your power. No, you gotta keep people on as best you can.

If you have a dairy and your lights go off, well just imagine milking a hundred head by hand when you've been depending on electric milking machines.

MI-Lineman
11-09-2010, 07:08 AM
That is what pays me well enough to hunt and fish.

Does your contract have an inclement clause in it?

duckhunter
11-09-2010, 07:34 AM
Inclement means unsuaal weather. Rain and snow are not unusal where I live. Storms like we had a couple weeks ago are inclement, not rain.

Highplains Drifter
11-09-2010, 08:33 AM
Inclement means unsuaal weather. Rain and snow are not unusal where I live. Storms like we had a couple weeks ago are inclement, not rain.

There you go with one individuals interpretation of inclement. I bet you think that snow is dry too. Inclement can also be wind chills or high heat index too. God gave a chicken the size of a brain like a marble and the chicken doesn't decipher between unusual weather to justify things.

wtdoor67
11-09-2010, 08:40 AM
If it begins to rain the chicken will seek shelter. Animals have instincts that help preserve their life. Domesticated turkeys have lost that instinct. They will huddle up and drown and smother during storms. I hope we're smarter than chickens and turkeys.

heelwinch
11-09-2010, 11:08 AM
If it begins to rain the chicken will seek shelter. Animals have instincts that help preserve their life. Domesticated turkeys have lost that instinct. They will huddle up and drown and smother during storms. I hope we're smarter than chickens and turkeys.

In some cases... that would be a viable debate.

I suppose their are some in here adhearing to their contract that would come off a 200 ft tower to " cab up" after the first 15 min.s of rain.
Or is your contract now so specific as to preclude you from going up with any anticipation of rain??

Some day soon the silver spoon will be yanked from your mouths, and knowing the grip some of you have on it.... it's likely to bring forth a few teeth.

So you interpret your contract however you want ... " cab up " if you have to.
That's the way I lived and fortunately for me. I was right.

By the way Door... I had a saying that I liked to use that is similar to yours in that it shares one word... My favorite saying was " OK let's tool up".

duckhunter
11-09-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm sure like most of you I have worked with guys at the extreme on each end. I'll never do hot work in the rain. But I worked with guys that would pull up on a job and wait to see if it was going to rain and guys that would work in anything. Since you don't know the work I'm actually willing to and do perform, I'm not sure how you can make much noise about it. But I'd guess it's because you are like the guys that wait for rain. You look for reasons to quit instead of ways to finish. Employees in other lines of work with that attitude are now complaining about their products being made in another country.

electriklady
11-09-2010, 05:21 PM
There you go ......flapping the gums when you dont know what you are talking about........If a foreman tells a crew "You will do that job" and they refuse.....and then the 3 men who refused to do the job got a letter in their file for refusing to follow his command(and I will have to look into it but seems like I remember that they got three days off with no pay also, I work with one of them, I will ask him tomorrow)...that foreman is a representative of the company so if the punishment is condoned does that not mean the company is trying to force a crew to work in the rain.....and I dont mean a light drizzle, I mean a torrential rain.

Our meter readers work in the rain snow sleet and hail......The only time they stay in is if the roads are so dangerous with snow or ice that they are an imminent threat to be on. I read meters for 16 years, always worked in the rain......no inclement weather clause. I remember one arrogant lineman who always used to rub it in....we would come in just soaked to the bone and he would periodically ask if "it bothered us to have to work in the rain while the linemen sat in the warm building all day?" and then he would snicker. What an a$$hole that man was! I hated him with a passion. Thank God he is long gone and no one like him ever came to work there like him after he left. He was the laziest jackass I ever met. I have no inclement weather clause either. I just decide myself what is safe to do and what isnt.....but I do not stay in the building....If I have shop work to do I may delay my leave time if it is supposed to clear up. If not....I am out in it......I do final reads, high bill complaints, rate inquiries, etc, but "turn ons" are mandated by the Public Utility commision to be done that day......they are considered "must do." My boss doenst give me an "shit" if I say I am not doing something in the rain, but I know some that are exactly the opposite.

You wonder why I am always "supporting the working class"......you are not out in the working world today, and you dont see what these big companies are trying to do.......the orders may not come from the top(and some do) but......if no one backs the employee then the behavior is condoned by the top. Like Door said it is some supervisor who is either afraid of the his boss, or some schmuck trying to make himself look good so he can get a fat promotion, where he can make even more money for doing an even worse job than he is already doing. Don't live in a dream world and act like it doesnt happen......you are retired, you do not see how things are, and how the workers are being "screwed" more each and every day. You act like I make this $HIT up. Damn, you are like talking to a wall.

Swamp, I see you did not respond to my post of companies trying to force people to work in inclement weather when they have an inclement weather clause. I relayed the above story, and spoke to one of the 3 linemen involved today(the other two have since voluntarily left the company).....It was between Christmas and New Years, we already had a couple of inches of ice on the ground here and it was raining like a MF, it was almost impossible to stand up. The foreman ordered the 3 lineman to get out and hang reclosers......when they refused to do that, he ordered them to go run an underground service, again they refused. This went far above the foreman. Two foreman on a power trip backed up by management above them. They did get a letter of reprimand in their file and 3 and 1/2 days off without pay. Of course their co-workers(us union pukes) took up a collection and gave them more $$ than they would have made if they worked the 28 hours......The union got the letter taken out of their file but the company never compensated them on the lost pay. Soooooo, dont tell me about your wonderful capitalists out here that are not sticking it to the working man, they try to take more and more from us, try to ignore the contracts bargained for and signed by the union and themselves. You live in a freaking fantasy world if you dont think the cards aren't stacked against us working stiffs......and anyone of these companies that even have an inkling that they can get away with it....are gonna try the same kind of bullshit.

ps.....I told the linemen and the meter readers today about the statement that meter readers dont read meters in the rain.......we all had a good laugh over that one.

heelwinch
11-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Swamp, I see you did not respond to my post of companies trying to force people to work in inclement weather when they have an inclement weather clause. I relayed the above story, and spoke to one of the 3 linemen involved today(the other two have since voluntarily left the company).....It was between Christmas and New Years, we already had a couple of inches of ice on the ground here and it was raining like a MF, it was almost impossible to stand up. The foreman ordered the 3 lineman to get out and hang reclosers......when they refused to do that, he ordered them to go run an underground service, again they refused. This went far above the foreman. Two foreman on a power trip backed up by management above them. They did get a letter of reprimand in their file and 3 and 1/2 days off without pay. Of course their co-workers(us union pukes) took up a collection and gave them more $$ than they would have made if they worked the 28 hours......The union got the letter taken out of their file but the company never compensated them on the lost pay. Soooooo, dont tell me about your wonderful capitalists out here that are not sticking it to the working man, they try to take more and more from us, try to ignore the contracts bargained for and signed by the union and themselves. You live in a freaking fantasy world if you dont think the cards aren't stacked against us working stiffs......and anyone of these companies that even have an inkling that they can get away with it....are gonna try the same kind of bullshit.

ps.....I told the linemen and the meter readers today about the statement that meter readers dont read meters in the rain.......we all had a good laugh over that one.

What are there two women to do one mans job???

I really can't see the relevance in you being here on this site other than that MY sweat and blood is carrying your ass in the IBEW now... What a shame to see this industry end up the way it has. Use to be meter readers were like secretarys.

electriklady
11-09-2010, 06:32 PM
[/color]

What are there two women to do one mans job???

I really can't see the relevance in you being here on this site other than that MY sweat and blood is carrying your ass in the IBEW now... What a shame to see this industry end up the way it has. Use to be meter readers were like secretarys.

Actually we have 4 meter readers in my district and they are all males.

I myself can't see the relevance for you speaking....the only thing that comes out of your mouth is $hit.....but that doesnt seem to stop the flow at all.....You are a joke....your sweat and blood is carrying my ass in the IBEW? How the f^$k do you figure that.....I can tell you are someone who never did anything to benefit the union or the causes of the unions or its member. I will relay to the meter readers that you feel they are at the same rank as a secretary.......I am pretty sure they will think you are the same rank as a "ridiculous idiot," a fact you expose each and every time you post on here.
So why dont you shut your foul FU(KING mouth.

heelwinch
11-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Ya I know, at least I don't get so board that I have to quote my OWN post to start a fight.

Put your skirt back on and do the dishes and laundry.

electriklady
11-09-2010, 07:02 PM
I quoted my own post to clarify my post from yesterday, when I am not stating opinions, I like to make sure my facts are correct......and to point out that when you give an example to disprove "Swamps rant that I am posting hype" that he doesnt respond, but rather ignores the post.....which by the way......feel free to do the same.

By the way....you didnt answer my question....How did your sweat and blood carry me in the IBEW? Come on big man! You have a pretty high opinion of yourself, but.....you seem to be the only one that does.

MI-Lineman
11-09-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm sure like most of you I have worked with guys at the extreme on each end. I'll never do hot work in the rain. But I worked with guys that would pull up on a job and wait to see if it was going to rain and guys that would work in anything. Since you don't know the work I'm actually willing to and do perform, I'm not sure how you can make much noise about it. But I'd guess it's because you are like the guys that wait for rain. You look for reasons to quit instead of ways to finish. Employees in other lines of work with that attitude are now complaining about their products being made in another country.

I don't know who your speakin to but I asked you a very simple question? I never said what I do or don't do in the rain and I never assumed what you do but I see you seem to have no problem insinuatin what others do or don't! Huh? Another who likes to whine about how others conduct themselves on here and then turn around and commit the same foul themselves?

DOES YOUR CONTRACT HAVE AN INCLEMENT OR "WEATHER" CLAUSE OF ANY KIND? Simple question but if you still have problems answerin let me know I could try and dumb it down some more? IF IT DOES I don't see what gives you the right to decide YOUR definition supersedes what others negotiated for the workers in you area? People who rather go against whats written in a contract cause they believe they have some self imposed power to do so are "THE REAL CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM!" Like for instance workers who stick apes up in the primary to early cause they wanna see "what they are made of" or workers who go beyond their job descriptions and maybe do a little more than their rules allow without an "assistin employee!" Now we have apes used for assistin employees when their not even "hot apes" yet and the company wantin us to change broken switchs alone?

When you decide you can go against your safety rules or contract you set a president that eventually when done enough the company takes notice and WAMMO a safety rule or a provision in the contract goes right out the window cause "some employees" had no problem doin it in the past!:(

I like how some @sshole on here likes to call me a "rat" when I've done nothin but follow the rules I'm paid to follow and he admittedly decided to pick and choose which he would follow?:rolleyes: To me a rat in just as much a Union hand who follows his "own set of rules" cause he thinks he's some bad @ss or somethin! Most of the bull sh!t rules, newly formed "work groups", or poor workin conditions we have now are a result of the choices some of you "39 year" lineman who thought or think ya knew better than the members before you who fought to get ya that "nice cushy Union job!"

MI-Lineman
11-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Actually we have 4 meter readers in my district and they are all males.

I myself can't see the relevance for you speaking....the only thing that comes out of your mouth is $hit.....but that doesnt seem to stop the flow at all.....You are a joke....your sweat and blood is carrying my ass in the IBEW? How the f^$k do you figure that.....I can tell you are someone who never did anything to benefit the union or the causes of the unions or its member. I will relay to the meter readers that you feel they are at the same rank as a secretary.......I am pretty sure they will think you are the same rank as a "ridiculous idiot," a fact you expose each and every time you post on here.
So why dont you shut your foul FU(KING mouth.

Don't forget there's quite a few real lineman who would agree he's "a ridiculous" idiot! HEY MR. IBEW! How does bein a such a staunch conservative supporter and a former member of "39 years who hated every minute of it" make you the shinnin example of an IBEW member?:rolleyes:

YOU'RE A PHONY! You did nothin then for your Union and you still do nothin now by just trashin people on here and refusin to partake in Line work discussions!!

Highplains Drifter
11-09-2010, 10:23 PM
I don't know who your speakin to but I asked you a very simple question? I never said what I do or don't do in the rain and I never assumed what you do but I see you seem to have no problem insinuatin what others do or don't! Huh? Another who likes to whine about how others conduct themselves on here and then turn around and commit the same foul themselves?

DOES YOUR CONTRACT HAVE AN INCLEMENT OR "WEATHER" CLAUSE OF ANY KIND? Simple question but if you still have problems answerin let me know I could try and dumb it down some more? IF IT DOES I don't see what gives you the right to decide YOUR definition supersedes what others negotiated for the workers in you area? People who rather go against whats written in a contract cause they believe they have some self imposed power to do so are "THE REAL CAUSE OF THE PROBLEM!" Like for instance workers who stick apes up in the primary to early cause they wanna see "what they are made of" or workers who go beyond their job descriptions and maybe do a little more than their rules allow without an "assistin employee!" Now we have apes used for assistin employees when their not even "hot apes" yet and the company wantin us to change broken switchs alone?

When you decide you can go against your safety rules or contract you set a president that eventually when done enough the company takes notice and WAMMO a safety rule or a provision in the contract goes right out the window cause "some employees" had no problem doin it in the past!:(

I like how some @sshole on here likes to call me a "rat" when I've done nothin but follow the rules I'm paid to follow and he admittedly decided to pick and choose which he would follow?:rolleyes: To me a rat in just as much a Union hand who follows his "own set of rules" cause he thinks he's some bad @ss or somethin! Most of the bull sh!t rules, newly formed "work groups", or poor workin conditions we have now are a result of the choices some of you "39 year" lineman who thought or think ya knew better than the members before you who fought to get ya that "nice cushy Union job!"

Actually Mi-lineman, your right everyone has a little bit of Rat in them and everyone will push certain rules to benefit themselves and not in the interest of their bargaining group. But since the topic is on inclement weather then lets stay on it. To me since I am outside construction it is simple, if it is raining I do not work, line work is dangerous enough with out adding to slips, trips and falls because everything is wet from rain. Electricity and water do not mix. When I see some smart a$$ putting on a rain suit for a normal work day, I call that suit his Rat Skin. When enough people refuse to work with or for some idiot like that, soon they will start wondering why no one will work with them. But you see I have more choices and freedoms as an outside hand. If I don't like what I am seeing in a certain yard, I drag and go get another job. No, I don't cab up on the first rain drop, but if the foreman isn't smart enough to start winding down, then I'll make the decision for him.

electriklady
11-09-2010, 10:27 PM
My conversation was with all when you piped in and added that no company tries to force anyone to work in inclement weather and insinuated I was "making things up" ...........Squealbitch just butted his big nasty mouth in cause he can't resist making his stupid comments to me........

It is not hype.....companies today continue to try to take more and more liberties with the workers......do things that are unethical, a breach of contract, sleazy, and speak safety out of one side of their mouth, but damn if you bring up the issue that something is unsafe...you are just a lazy piece of shit trying to get out of doing work, or are insubordinate.

I am glad I belong to local 459 where one job classification does not look down on the other less paying classifications and who know that there is strength in true brotherhood and unity...and I am certainly glad I dont have to work with people who work with others for years, but as soon as their back is turned "talk shit" about them because they are not linemen. The show of mutual respect is what makes a meter reader in 459 watch the back of a lineman, or a mechanic watch the back of a storekeeper, a meter tester standing up for a collector. We work for the good of the WHOLE group, not just one classification. We dont pull them down, together we are a pretty diverse team that sticks together. I am proud to work with the people I work with. We are the definition of "Brotherhood."

Highplains Drifter
11-09-2010, 10:32 PM

Duck Hunter, it is plan and simple if you are the foreman and can not plan your work on a day that it is going to rain, then you do not have any management skills. There is no way I would tackle a replacement of a line and buck when rain is predicted. With Weather Underground (http://www.wunderground.com/) and your Smart phone one can log in your location and you can see on the radar that rain is going to hit you with in less then one hour. Now a day with little jobs that you have no one out of power I'd go along with.

MI-Lineman
11-10-2010, 06:56 AM
Actually Mi-lineman, your right everyone has a little bit of Rat in them and everyone will push certain rules to benefit themselves and not in the interest of their bargaining group. But since the topic is on inclement weather then lets stay on it. To me since I am outside construction it is simple, if it is raining I do not work, line work is dangerous enough with out adding to slips, trips and falls because everything is wet from rain. Electricity and water do not mix. When I see some smart a$$ putting on a rain suit for a normal work day, I call that suit his Rat Skin. When enough people refuse to work with or for some idiot like that, soon they will start wondering why no one will work with them. But you see I have more choices and freedoms as an outside hand. If I don't like what I am seeing in a certain yard, I drag and go get another job. No, I don't cab up on the first rain drop, but if the foreman isn't smart enough to start winding down, then I'll make the decision for him.

Yep but my point is when you work in the rain when you want to, you'll be workin in it when ya don't! This place is a good example of it! Now they're tryin to get us to start switchin orders in the rain cause the supervisor (who btw didn't work line work past 5 years and decided he wanted to jump the fence!:rolleyes:) says "it's not rainin that bad!" Never mind the first thing out of the other supervisors mouth was "the customer wants this done so it has to get done no matter what" and the fact it was gettin close to quittin time! All you hear from these short term Lineman/long term supervisors is how they'd work in it when they were Lineman even though that wasn't for very long and they probably left so they wouldn't have to do it! Makes me think some of these previous posters should consider jumpin over to the other side where they'd fit in better?

duckhunter
11-10-2010, 07:31 AM
Definition of INCLEMENT
: lacking mildness: as a archaic : severe in temper or action : unmerciful b : physically severe : stormy <inclement weather>

in·clem·ent (n-klmnt)
adj.
1. Stormy: inclement weather.
2. Showing no clemency; unmerciful.

Main Entry: inclement
Part of Speech: adjective
Definition: bitter, nasty (weather)
Synonyms: brutal, cold, foul, hard, harsh, intemperate, raw, rigorous, rough, rugged, severe, stormy, tempestuous, violent, wintry

Definition: cruel, merciless
Synonyms: callous, draconian, harsh, intemperate, pitiless, rigorous, ruthless, savage, severe, tyrannical, unfeeling, unkind, unmerciful

Doesn't seem to say rain anywhere, must have been written by rats and ass-kissers.

Highplains Drifter
11-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Definition of INCLEMENT
: lacking mildness: as a archaic : severe in temper or action : unmerciful b : physically severe : stormy <inclement weather>

in·clem·ent (n-klmnt)
adj.

Synonyms: brutal, cold, foul, hard, harsh, intemperate, raw, rigorous, rough, rugged, severe, stormy, tempestuous, violent, wintry

Synonyms: callous, draconian, harsh, intemperate, pitiless, rigorous, ruthless, savage, severe, tyrannical, unfeeling, unkind, unmerciful

Doesn't seem to say rain anywhere, must have been written by rats and ass-kissers.

Unless you are an "inclement webber" (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=inclement+webber).....funny thing is I notice that you only post while you are on the clock, must be nice....:D

heelwinch
11-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Yep but my point is when you work in the rain when you want to, you'll be workin in it when ya don't! This place is a good example of it! Now they're tryin to get us to start switchin orders in the rain cause the supervisor (who btw didn't work line work past 5 years and decided he wanted to jump the fence!:rolleyes:) says "it's not rainin that bad!" Never mind the first thing out of the other supervisors mouth was "the customer wants this done so it has to get done no matter what" and the fact it was gettin close to quittin time! All you hear from these short term Lineman/long term supervisors is how they'd work in it when they were Lineman even though that wasn't for very long and they probably left so they wouldn't have to do it! Makes me think some of these previous posters should consider jumpin over to the other side where they'd fit in better?

You're just a wanna be chasing coat tails...

It's all good you'll get yours sooner or later... more likely sooner than later the way things are going. COurse you got the meter reader covering your back... you might be allright. Oh yeah I forgot about the lamp lighter... you got it made.

MI-Lineman
11-10-2010, 09:26 PM
You're just a wanna be chasing coat tails...

It's all good you'll get yours sooner or later... more likely sooner than later the way things are going. COurse you got the meter reader covering your back... you might be allright. Oh yeah I forgot about the lamp lighter... you got it made.

Yeah sucks to have friends huh? Oh that's right you wouldn't know!:rolleyes:
Try talkin some 1st step apes up in the 3 phase lately Rat Fink?:(

Where's my ghosts bad @ss? Still waitin to cry!!!:p

BTW! I already got mine and worked and earned every bit of it!

MI-Lineman
11-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Definition of INCLEMENT

in·clem·ent (n-klmnt)
adj.

For some reason you missed the second time I tried gettin an answer where I said "or weather clause?" Somethin you don't want us to know???:cool: Never mind I'll ask some of your cohorts up there!:rolleyes:

duckhunter
11-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Yes, we have inclement weather language in the contract. But it doesn't say we don't work in the rain or snow. We have never been forced to work when it was truly bad weather. I'm not sure how anyone esle can stand to sit on their butt in a truck all day. But that's just me.

MI-Lineman
11-10-2010, 10:01 PM
Yes, we have inclement weather language in the contract. But it doesn't say we don't work in the rain or snow. We have never been forced to work when it was truly bad weather. I'm not sure how anyone esle can stand to sit on their butt in a truck all day. But that's just me.

Well again I never said I "sat in the truck all day" but I'm sure your right about some! In fact i know you are! Usually we try and catch up on cleanin and testin sticks and grounds or maybe givin a truck a long overdo strip down and clean up! We never get time to wash and wax the booms so it falls on those days. That's only if there's nothin that can be done to prep a job! Hot work? Nope! Not unless it's "life or limb" which I can't believe all the variations of that definition there are?:rolleyes:

Any ways I was wonderin on the actual wordin but I suppose you're not gonna say? Worked for two different companies in this state and never heard rain and snow NOT bein inclement? I thought you said you were high line? If so, you must mean you keep busy on rain days unlike others who polish the seat of the pants in the cab all day!:D I can understand that!

Highplains Drifter
11-10-2010, 10:02 PM

I don't I go home.....:D

Highplains Drifter
11-10-2010, 11:26 PM
we put on our rain gear and keep workin....and hope it stops, so we can go to work. WTF?

(

When I see some smart a$$ putting on a rain suit for a normal work day, I call that suit his Rat Skin.

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gifhttp://bestsmileys.com/lol/1.gif

duckhunter
11-11-2010, 04:20 PM
Well again I never said I "sat in the truck all day" but I'm sure your right about some! In fact i know you are! Usually we try and catch up on cleanin and testin sticks and grounds or maybe givin a truck a long overdo strip down and clean up! We never get time to wash and wax the booms so it falls on those days. That's only if there's nothin that can be done to prep a job! Hot work? Nope! Not unless it's "life or limb" which I can't believe all the variations of that definition there are?:rolleyes:

Any ways I was wonderin on the actual wordin but I suppose you're not gonna say? Worked for two different companies in this state and never heard rain and snow NOT bein inclement? I thought you said you were high line? If so, you must mean you keep busy on rain days unlike others who polish the seat of the pants in the cab all day!:D I can understand that!

I work for a coop.

MI-Lineman
11-11-2010, 09:27 PM
I work for a coop.

Yeah I figured so much. Up there in Gods country away from all us "flat landers" huh?;) You a "troll" or on the other side? I forget what we call ones on the other side?:eek: