PDA

View Full Version : salary questions..?

camo8hundo
11-28-2010, 11:01 PM
hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and pretty new to the lineman career. I've recently be considering it, and had some questions about it.

I know Linemen make a very good amount of money, but I'm just curious how good it really is.... I've done searches on google and things like that, but nothing is as accurate as hearing it from someone who actually is a lineman.

How much do you guys make a year, an hour? and where do you work? does location affect your pay? do you work for a contractor, or a co op? or any other options......

I don't know alot about this career... could you guys help me out?? any advice, or information would be great..

PS.. is it ok that i ask ppl's salaries on here? idk.... if you don't want to share, that's fine. just lookin for some real numbers...

Thanks everyone!

Mr Stubs
11-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Union wages vary depending on the contract that has been negotiated.

In the PNW the 125, 77, 483, and 659 are all under the same construction contract and the pay rate for a JL Lineman is $43.43 if memory serves me correctly.

Location will affect your pay. So will your employer (contractor vs. muni, co-op, ext....)

wtdoor67
11-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Call any LU office in the country and they will give you the scale for any classification they cover. It's not kept secret like so many management types.

Some locals have several payscales for all the different entities they represent. Typically most usually represent outside (const.) hands and Utility hands (pwr. co. pukes.)

Sometimes you can con them into sending you a copy of their contract.

Call a rat contractor and you'll get several scales probably. Ha!

camo8hundo
11-29-2010, 05:46 PM
alright i might try that out... if find a couple places in the area.

is there a general bottom line pay for a journeyman? i've heard around 30 bucks an hour. and many examples that were more than that.

Anyone out there get less than $30 per hour?

Thanks

Fast duck
11-29-2010, 06:11 PM
I do as a 1 step app.

yager024
11-29-2010, 06:35 PM
3rd year apprentice $29.xx going to $41.xx when i top out plus overtime and bonuses.

pre_apprentice_ID
11-29-2010, 09:48 PM
Most guys I know out of line school are starting around 15.00 to 20.00. I even heard a couple guys at 13.00. Journeyman pay is much better, I've heard pay ranges between 26.00 and about 45.00.

electric squirrel
11-29-2010, 09:56 PM
I make $50.75 an hour and $50 a day for showing up,,,,,but if your just wanting to know where the most money is made,,,then your not meant for this trade.

HardWorker!
11-29-2010, 11:36 PM
I make $50.75 an hour and $50 a day for showing up,,,,,but if your just wanting to know where the most money is made,,,then your not meant for this trade.

So Mr. Squirrel you are a Forman now? Congrats.. Now take me as your grunt & let me be your right hand man until I start my apeship...:)

camo8hundo
11-30-2010, 02:44 PM

I'm not in it just for the money... i wouldn't climb poles and physical, hard work, even during times of shitty weather, and all those good things, if i didn't think i'd like it. I know there's gonna be times, and parts of the job that really will just suck... but all jobs all like that, idk if theres a job out there that has its drawbacks.... im thinkin that the majority of the time i would enjoy it tho. i've always been a hard worker... and don't really want to end up sitting inside the rest of my life... i just wanted to put that out there....

but no matter what a person goes into.... whether there's money there or not... i kinda want to have an idea... everyone has their own opinion.... and some would say money isn't everything... well, i would say, it's at least a PART of everthing... everything you wanna do, and wanna buy, you're going to need money... your whole lifestyle can depend on how much money you make alone...

many of you may disagree with me.... but idk, i just want get as much info about this career as i can to make sure i make a well thought out, and educated decision...

ok now... here's where you come in buddy...

you've been through it all.. you're a foreman now?!

can you explain some of the steps it takes to get to that? how long you worked to get there? what does a foreman do?

i know there's 4 steps of apprentice work, then you can be a journeyman... but after that i really know nothing about it...

what happens after that? does your pay continue to increase? after working 20 years would i have the oportunity to move up? also, i'm thinkin i'd get my AAS degree. would this help me get promotions or anything like that? or is a certificate just as good...? i've already finished alot of generals so i think i could get the AAS in less than 2 years

how did it go for you?... i understand some of the basics of this career... but i don't really know everything about it...

as someone who's done line work for years, what advice/information can you provide me with

thanks again everyone!

I'm trying to get into a school, and make these decisions so i can get back on track. i've already completed a year and a half of college, but thinking i would like to go to lineschool now.

Fast duck
11-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Well first off there are 7 steps to a app. Atleast here in the northeast.
Next from what little i know you need to learn to be a good lineman before you can move form there then there is the lead lineman then foreman then???? Me i would rather be on a pole then in a truck or in a office. But hay i things may change when im in my 50's who knows.
But as far as $ this is a good job you can make a good liveing. But there is things you will have to do. Like be on the road for up to months at a time.
Next line school some say its a good idea some say its a waste of $ i have only seen one side of it so far. I did not go to line school and there is a few guys that are right next to me in our (bootcamp) sorry for that word to the military people. So they have more knoladge of the trade then me but i will learn it in the field. Im sure so people on hear could tell you there experiene with the school.
Alsi sorry about the grammer but im on my phone typeing this.

pre_apprentice_ID
11-30-2010, 09:11 PM
If you don't go to line school, you will have a very hard time getting a job. I know I wouldn't be doing linework without it. Also I would not be here if the money was not good........good damn thing it's good!

Highplains Drifter
11-30-2010, 10:39 PM
Next from what little i know you need to learn to be a good lineman before you can move form there then there is the lead lineman then foreman then???? Me i would rather be on a pole then in a truck or in a office. But hay i things may change when im in my 50's who knows.
But as far as $ this is a good job you can make a good liveing. But there is things you will have to do. Like be on the road for up to months at a time.
Next line school some say its a good idea some say its a waste of $ i have only seen one side of it so far. I did not go to line school and there is a few guys that are right next to me in our (bootcamp) sorry for that word to the military people. So they have more knoladge of the trade then me but i will learn it in the field. Im sure so people on hear could tell you there experiene with the school.

Partner, if you have an I-Phone or Smart Phone that you can be on the net you should be able to set it to progressive typing and the correct spelling will show in your choices...:rolleyes:

camo8hundo
12-01-2010, 10:48 AM

From what i heard from a couple ppl i know in this field... they went to line school for a year, then did 4 years of apprenticeship, (or at least 4 years worth of full time work, i believe) one of my friends is only seasonal at the moment, so i think it's taking him a little longer than 4 years.... but that's in north dakota, and minnesota.... is it actually different in other places across the nation? that'd kinda suck if it took longer to get up to the journeyman pay.....

Fast duck
12-01-2010, 02:11 PM
Here it is 7 steps. Every 1000 hours you work you move up a step and get a raise. I think a 5% raise. If you work 40 hour weeks they say it will take you 3.5 years.

camo8hundo
12-01-2010, 06:13 PM
Here it is 7 steps. Every 1000 hours you work you move up a step and get a raise. I think a 5% raise. If you work 40 hour weeks they say it will take you 3.5 years.

ohh. ok that makes sense... i still think i heard them say 4 steps.... but i know they said 4 years. which correlates with your info pretty closely.... thanks!

Hemingray Insulators
12-03-2010, 07:56 PM
all depends on where your at and whether contractor or power co........i got in a few months outa HS would have been sooner but i had to wait to turn 18LOL, my first full tax season of work i made $84k :D by bein lucky enough to get on all the big jobs and that was only as a 2nd and 3rd step app but then was laid off for 5 months over last winter only been workin since june and only on 40hr a week jobs so ill make MUCH less this year:(

i interviewd for american electric power in ohio as well when i was trying to get an apprenticeship and i think they started at 45k/year or somethin like that.........

Highplains Drifter
12-04-2010, 12:10 AM
all depends on where your at and whether contractor or power co........i got in a few months outa HS would have been sooner but i had to wait to turn 18LOL, my first full tax season of work i made $84k :D by bein lucky enough to get on all the big jobs and that was only as a 2nd and 3rd step app but then was laid off for 5 months over last winter only been workin since june and only on 40hr a week jobs so ill make MUCH less this year:(

i interviewd for american electric power in ohio as well when i was trying to get an apprenticeship and i think they started at 45k/year or somethin like that.........

And.....what about health insurance and your retirement?:cool:

Hemingray Insulators
12-04-2010, 01:03 AM
And.....what about health insurance and your retirement?:cool:

health insurance and retirement are great..........thankfully i havent had to use the health insurance tho but a pretty good chuck get paid into my retirement lol

theFNG
12-05-2010, 07:49 PM
im a 3rd step in the cal/nev jatc apprenticeship working in californiua right now, right now i make 32.30/hr, but JL's get a contract raise on 6/1/11. since apes make a percentage of the JL wage we also get a raise. there is also 7 steps out here, unless you work for a utility or a co op theres 6.

monkeyface
12-06-2010, 11:01 AM
I am considered a "B" at the largest electric co-op in Texas, Im told its the largest co-op in the USA with nearly 250,000 meters. Currently I make $21.89 an hour, starting "B" pay is $21.25 and starting "A" pay is $25.30 an hour. Line jobs have been available pretty steady here in Texas all through this recession time but if you want to be paid much better for doing the same work I would certainly look at any investor owned or union shop first. Other utilities anywhere from 30 min to 2 hrs away easily make 30% or more in higher wages with guaranteed safety or production bonuses.

monkeyface
12-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Another thing to consider when choosing an employer is finding out if they have an approved apprenticeship training program...the co-op I currently work for does not. No JL certificate!

camo8hundo
12-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Another thing to consider when choosing an employer is finding out if they have an approved apprenticeship training program...the co-op I currently work for does not. No JL certificate!

so... you're an apprentice then? getting $21.89 as an apprentice??? or whatever it's called... cause technically maybe you're not an apprentice, cause you're not in an apprentice program..... $21.89 isn't that bad for someone that's not a journeyman yet..... but if i got like 22 bucks as a journeyman lineman...... i don't think i'd want to do it... you gotta get some kind of reward for the work you do. physical labor, working with hot electricity, and at time in the storms, or hot sun.... you deserve something in return.

you said you're a "B"... what does that mean...? do you move up to an A and get more pay in the future then?

monkeyface
12-06-2010, 06:13 PM
so... you're an apprentice then? getting $21.89 as an apprentice??? or whatever it's called... cause technically maybe you're not an apprentice, cause you're not in an apprentice program..... $21.89 isn't that bad for someone that's not a journeyman yet..... but if i got like 22 bucks as a journeyman lineman...... i don't think i'd want to do it... you gotta get some kind of reward for the work you do. physical labor, working with hot electricity, and at time in the storms, or hot sun.... you deserve something in return.

you said you're a "B"... what does that mean...? do you move up to an A and get more pay in the future then?

I will be getting my "A" at the end of February, at which time I will be making the minimum of $25.30. If my employer participated in a certified apprentice program i could in less than two months take my journeymans test and then actually be a journeyman lineman, instead Ill just be "Class A Lineman" which is the top. I have been a Class B for two years now and I have went from the minimum B pay which is $21.25 to $21.89, a $.64 increase in two years.

Trbl639
12-07-2010, 04:05 PM
Retired in 09 as a Serviceman/Troubleman with Entergy..pay was like 29.90 something, a few pennies shy of $30/hr.......it's higher now cause of raises...JL and Srviceman/Tman pay was the same, but we made a little more due to the OT..........Sr Lineman (1 per crew) made about a buck fifty more............our apprenticeship was 4 yrs......hired green, you might be a helper for about 6 months and then you broke out, went to Boot Camp (16 weeks) where you were bumped up to 1st yr ape pay.........if you made JL, the next steps up were Seniority jobs, like T-man, Sr Lineman......

camo8hundo
12-10-2010, 02:46 AM
Retired in 09 as a Serviceman/Troubleman with Entergy..pay was like 29.90 something, a few pennies shy of $30/hr.......it's higher now cause of raises...JL and Srviceman/Tman pay was the same, but we made a little more due to the OT..........Sr Lineman (1 per crew) made about a buck fifty more............our apprenticeship was 4 yrs......hired green, you might be a helper for about 6 months and then you broke out, went to Boot Camp (16 weeks) where you were bumped up to 1st yr ape pay.........if you made JL, the next steps up were Seniority jobs, like T-man, Sr Lineman......

What's a Serviceman/Troubleman? how's it different for a journeyman lineman
?

Highplains Drifter
12-10-2010, 11:31 AM
What's a Serviceman/Troubleman? how's it different for a journeyman lineman
?

It is a job one can acquire after they top out.

topgroove
12-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Its really not a good job for a brand new journeyman. Most of us work by ourselves and if you've mainly worked overhead underground and transmission construction without many trouble calls you might get yourself in a ballgame some night. I think to be a good troubleman you've got to have at least ten years as a journeyman . The type of lineman that answers the phone at midnight in $hity weather and answers thousands of call-outs. Seams there's alot of 7 - 3:30 construction lineman out there.

Highplains Drifter
12-10-2010, 11:49 AM
Its really not a good job for a brand new journeyman. Most of us work by ourselves and if you've mainly worked overhead underground and transmission construction without many trouble calls you might get yourself in a ballgame some night. I think to be a good troubleman you've got to have at least ten years as a journeyman . The type of lineman that answers the phone at midnight in $hity weather and answers thousands of call-outs. Seams there's alot of 7 - 3:30 construction lineman out there.

Good point and I believe a young journeyman should have at least four years as a journeyman before they become a foreman too.

wtdoor67
12-10-2010, 06:24 PM
Go to the nearest local (IBEW) or any electrical local near you that uses Linemen. Ask them for a copy of their agreement. It doesn't even have to be their latest agreement. Read thru it and you will have a lot of your questions answered.

Trbl639
12-11-2010, 12:26 AM
Gotta agree with Drifter and Top..........
Serviceman/T-men, work 99.99% of the time alone!! different breed than a regular JL..........Lots of good JL out there, but a lot lack troubleshooting skills.......good lineman for construction, but weak on T-shooting skills........especially when there is NOTHING obviously wrong, when on a trouble call.......It's a great job, something new everyday!!

also where a lot of the older lineman go to when they get tired of all the BS on the crews and bossman breathing down your throat!!! Most of my 21+ yrs on a trouble truck, I might talk to my boss everyday or every other day, but might not see him except at the monthly Safety meeting!! In a sense, you are your own boss........do your work and then put it on cruise control!!:D

I didn't mention it at first, but when a Serviceman/t-man was off, a JL filled in on his truck...sometimes it was hilarious........and guaranteed, after that happened, there were always screw ups to be fixed!!! :) :(

Steve B
12-30-2010, 01:27 AM
Get a class B commercial drivers permit. Go to the Local IBEW Union hall, for "outside line construction", sign the out of work books for Groundman. Do your time, ware the tires off two American trucks, than if lucky you will get an Apprentice Bid. Work you ass off, go to AP school, dont get a DUI, dont test dirty, dont lose your wife of girlfriend. Listen, learn and perform. After 4 years you will have the Skill, Aptitude, Attitude, and Knowledge to be a Journeyman Lineman. If your in it for the money dont do it. Live it and love it. I'll retire at 55 and be okay. IBEW 1245/47/1290 A Ticket JL, for life. Representing

Good Luck

camo8hundo
12-30-2010, 04:32 AM
Get a class B commercial drivers permit. Go to the Local IBEW Union hall, for "outside line construction", sign the out of work books for Groundman. Do your time, ware the tires off two American trucks, than if lucky you will get an Apprentice Bid. Work you ass off, go to AP school, dont get a DUI, dont test dirty, dont lose your wife of girlfriend. Listen, learn and perform. After 4 years you will have the Skill, Aptitude, Attitude, and Knowledge to be a Journeyman Lineman. If your in it for the money dont do it. Live it and love it. I'll retire at 55 and be okay. IBEW 1245/47/1290 A Ticket JL, for life. Representing

Good Luck

you have a good point... no one should be a lineman just for the money. if someones only worried about money, they should go into something else. i've been taking Pre-Pharmacy classes for 2 years... i wanted to have the dough to do whatever i wanted... but besides it being a very difficult field..... i simply just decided i don't want to do it anymore. i want to be a lineman. not because i'm expecting to make 60k or better a year. because i'm going to work outside and with a group of guys. it's hard work. with some thrills. gettin up in the air. if i was only worried about my income. i would do what i could to be a pharmacist. they make twice the cash.....

I'm just curious what it's like for the linemen out there working now.... cause idk what it's like??? i just want to have an idea what i'm getting into... for example... if a lineman made like 30,000 a year... i wouldn't do it.... (i'm talking journeymen...) because i'd be struggling to even make a living off that.... if i don't ask... i'll never know...

another thing i was curious about is how hard it is to get a job... i'm just hoping it goes alright... i'd be pretty frustrated if i couldn't find a decent paying job close to the area i'd like to live..

Highplains Drifter
12-30-2010, 08:06 AM
i'd be pretty frustrated if i couldn't find a decent paying job close to the area i'd like to live..

That is what is holding you back wanting to end up at home. Most people only move 75 miles from where they where born. I think you need to concentrate on getting into and through an apprenticeship and then you can concentrate on location of your career. A friend of mine is an instructor at a lineman school in North Dakota and he sees it all the time, after graduation all the jobs are miles and miles from home so Daddy buys em a new 4x4 and puts them back on the farm.

ntxhand
12-30-2010, 12:52 PM
hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and pretty new to the lineman career. I've recently be considering it, and had some questions about it.

I know Linemen make a very good amount of money, but I'm just curious how good it really is.... I've done searches on google and things like that, but nothing is as accurate as hearing it from someone who actually is a lineman.

How much do you guys make a year, an hour? and where do you work? does location affect your pay? do you work for a contractor, or a co op? or any other options......

I don't know alot about this career... could you guys help me out?? any advice, or information would be great..

PS.. is it ok that i ask ppl's salaries on here? idk.... if you don't want to share, that's fine. just lookin for some real numbers...

Thanks everyone!

Hundo, what made you decide you even wanna be in this trade? I've read some of your post and im just curious how you even came about the whole idea. I'm starting line school in January at TSTC and i'm not a lineman...yet but ive worked for the largest investor owned in Texas and know exactly what it is and what it takes. To me salary shouldn't matter if your starting out of course coops pay about the same as contractors and investor owned unionized companies pay the big bucks, but i'd be thankful just for a start you can always move around after JL

camo8hundo
12-31-2010, 08:20 PM
That is what is holding you back wanting to end up at home. Most people only move 75 miles from where they where born. I think you need to concentrate on getting into and through an apprenticeship and then you can concentrate on location of your career. A friend of mine is an instructor at a lineman school in North Dakota and he sees it all the time, after graduation all the jobs are miles and miles from home so Daddy buys em a new 4x4 and puts them back on the farm.

No i don't want to be at home... with all these questions i'm sure it sounds like that. I do WANT to be a lineman, and i would LIKE to be somewhere within a couple hours of home. (it's not necessary where i NEED to be, but no matter where i live.... i know i'll be going back to do some things) i do alot of things at home.... well not specifically at home. but in the area. i have alot of friends and relatives that i like to snowmobile, fourwheel, and go hunting with. (which are all mine fyi.... i've worked hard so i could buy my own sled, fourwheeler, and just got a new rifle this fall. not to mention my own car....) i'm not mad necessarily.... but when you say "daddy will buy me a new 4x4 so i come home to the farm", it kind of bothers me.. my parents don't give handouts... (i know some parents buy their kids a car, pay for their college and things like that... but i'm proud to say i pay for all that on my own) i appreciate everything my parents have done for me, but they don't buy big toys like that for me. i just wanted to say that...

i do want to be a lineman... i'm not just in it for the money, i want to do it because i prefer physical work hands down to any other kind of work. I grew up working on the farm with my dad. and if i really wanted to farm with him i would... i like farming, but idk i just decided im not gonna do that....

My idea of a dream job is working outside with a group of ppl. doing physical work. working as a team. of course with some decent pay. that's my idea of a great job. that's what i really want to do.

linework seems like a good match to me...