PDA

View Full Version : PG&E Pre-apprentice

1wz2mny
01-22-2011, 09:04 PM
I took the PTB and IST tests on 1/21/11 and now am awaiting results.:confused: ... I was wondering if others have taken it and would like to know when you guys start getting results. I will post when I get mine. Thank you..:D

scratchpad
01-23-2011, 11:38 AM
So you took the tests on Friday and are confused about not receiving results by the time you posted yesterday or over the weekend for that matter????

Did they give you any indication on when you would receive the results?

miguel19822001
01-24-2011, 01:59 PM
you should receive them before saturday they will start to send people to physicall assestmnet on saturday

somedaysoon
01-26-2011, 12:20 PM
I took my written test last Wednesday and they called me on Friday saying I passed and scheduled me the physical on Saturday

1wz2mny
01-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Sorry I have not returned back... Yes I did pass and am on for Sunday At 1 pm. I hope the weather holds out. I wish the rest of you luck and me too:)
I've been practicing with the polesteps and it drives me nuts to not step up in my belt, but i think I will do fine.

electric squirrel
01-28-2011, 10:43 PM
So are you going for a climbing test???

1wz2mny
01-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Ya. But it will be on pole steps from what I read.

electric squirrel
01-28-2011, 11:59 PM
If you wanna learn how to climb contact me,,,,I live real close to you.:cool:

scratchpad
01-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Good luck to you

1wz2mny
01-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Thank you guys. I appreciate the offer for climbing help, I am a Tree guy for REU and have over 20 journeyman linemen teaching me and encouraging me to take this oppertunity. I've been in our training yard doing round and rounds, and actually got to sneak in and do a pole top rescue with the guys and they say I did very well. I appreciate what you guys do and really look forward to learning this craft. Thanks again.

electric squirrel
01-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Maybe you'll could get trunnells job huh??:rolleyes:

1wz2mny
01-31-2011, 08:16 AM
LOL. There is no apprentiship there and when and if I do get into linework REU is at the bottom of my list :)

Ibear
01-31-2011, 03:29 PM
I just took the alp test on Saturday with an interview following the passing of the test. Hope I scored high! Process so far is going really quick compared to SCE. Wish you all the best of luck!

1wz2mny
01-31-2011, 07:16 PM
Hope you did well as well. My sunday test was reschedualed to 2/12 due to weather. :eek:

Ibear
01-31-2011, 11:02 PM
Yeah my buddy has his scheduled for Sunday too. Sucks because I know you guys want to just knock it out the park already, at least that's how I felt. Well the tests aren't hard just don't let your nerves get the best of you. You'll do fine. Good luck and God bless.

1wz2mny
02-01-2011, 09:28 AM
So were you able to hook the poles or was it just pole steps?

Ibear
02-01-2011, 11:01 PM
Nah man just pole steps..

1wz2mny
02-03-2011, 06:50 PM
Ok. So I am on for Saturday 2/12 and the forecast is looking good. I am so looking forward to going and doing this.:D

scratchpad
02-03-2011, 10:50 PM
what does PG&E pay their pre-apprentices?

Ibear
02-04-2011, 01:38 AM
Yeah don't think weather will be a factor on your next test date. Good luck bro. I believe they start off at $25 an hour..

the squirel
02-13-2011, 03:07 PM
how did you do on the test man?

valencia5407
02-18-2011, 12:34 AM
I also applied for the positions and i was wondering if you guys know if they are still going to do more testing?

rjsindeed
02-22-2011, 05:59 PM
I participated in the ALP and interviews on January 29th and received an email about a week later stating that I would be contacted by a recruiting representative by Wednesday, February 16th. My friend, who also had his interview on the same date as I did, received the same email. Unfortunately, he was contacted on February 16th with an email stating that he didn't get the job. I never received that email, but also never received a phone call with a job offer, or any word from them at all!! Another friend of mine hasn't received any word yet either. Is there anyone out there who has been hired yet?! Does anyone know why we haven't been contacted?

scratchpad
02-23-2011, 12:33 AM
2 guys i know interviewed the same day as you. One got hired a couple weeks ago, about a week after the interview, and one just recently got the sorry letter. Apparently they hired 25 out of the first batch which was you guys. He starts March 1st

rjsindeed
02-23-2011, 01:06 AM
Hmm... that still doesn't cover my situation. I'm curious why I haven't received an offer OR a sorry letter. I wonder if they're are going to be more start dates... any idea??

scratchpad
02-23-2011, 10:32 AM
take this all as hearsay...from what i heard 25 guys got hired out of the first batch they start march 1st. the next batch of hires start march 22nd. my friend called and asked why he didnt get hired. they said they will be hiring over 200 and had several test dates coming up, including the guys who got rained out, and wanted to give other guys a chance.

maybe, just maybe they do a ranking system from their interviews and the guys who score under a certain point get the sorry letter. the top 25 scores get hired out of that batch. anyone in between gets neither until the next batch gets filed in.

rjsindeed
02-23-2011, 05:45 PM
Thanks Scratchpad...you've been super helpful. Yeah the guys who got rained out on Jan 30th ended up testing and interviewing on Feb 12th. There were only two or three weekends of testing total. And I'm really hoping that your right about the possibility of a ranking system. That would explain why my friend and I haven't received any word back as of yet. I think I'm starting to understand the process a little better. I'm thinking they took the first 25 for Mar 1st because they really needed to get the training started by that date. After they hired the 25 from the first batch, they contacted everyone else from that same batch and sent us that email I was telling you about earlier... The one stating that we would be contacted by Feb 16th (After the remainder of the candidates were tested). Then I'm thinking that they probably ranked the remainder of the candidates and the ones that didn't make the cut received the "sorry" letter. Interesting though, that they sent my friend and I an email stating that they would contact us by Feb 16th regardless.... and then never did. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if we're gonna get a later start date. The wait is brutal!!

toyhunter
02-23-2011, 07:42 PM
i did the basic ptb testing on friday february 11th for pg&e and havent heard a word or no mail yet. they didnt tell us much pretty much took the test and everyone left. i have no idea how the process works for pge and just waiting to hear back so your not the only one? does anybody know how many interviewed or theyre taking on? are they all done with testing?

4BangenRange
02-26-2011, 01:16 AM
I did those first 2 tests back on Feb. 4th in Concord. And just today got a phone call saying that I have passed and that I can come and take the ALP test on March 12.

sarahlee108
03-01-2011, 12:47 AM
Hey everybody, myself and about 50 other guys took the PTB and the IST today down in Fresno. They say we should have the results by latest 3 weeks (most probably much sooner though) and that everyone who passed goes on the take the ALP? down in livemore some time March.

For those of you who have already taken the test and passed, what is the passing % on the PTB? This is the one that I am worried about, as there is very little time to do the test! Did any of you expect not to pass the PTB, but turned out that you passed? Please let me know, any help would be appreciated.

4BangenRange
03-02-2011, 11:20 PM
My ALP test that was on March 12th I just got an email saying its gonna be rescheduled to April sometime. Dam rain! lol.

sarahlee108
03-03-2011, 01:01 PM
4Bang,
You getting that ALP down in Livermore? Do you know the passing percentage on the PTB? and if not what did you passing guys get? sorry for all the questions, i'm just going nuts here waiting for my test results!

falainwest
03-03-2011, 01:20 PM
hello guys; i am thinking of getting into the linman career, can anybody recomment this pre apprentice program for me or has any idea if it is a good one.http://www.eiti.us

4BangenRange
03-04-2011, 01:40 AM
sarahlee108- Yea my ALP will be down in Livermore when ever they find a new set of dates for me to come do it. And for the PTB i have no idea at all. And yea I'm a very impacient person so i was pulling my hair out waiting for the results lol.

sarahlee108
03-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Alright thanks man, and just so you know, our test administrator told us that the ALP would be scheduled some time march- PGE had specifically told her this and made sure that she had all of our tests faxed back to them within an hour of us taking them. They were going to grade them right away and get the results back to us asap so whoever passed could move on to the ALP this month. She said PGE really needs to hire, and that is why they are speeding up the hiring process so much. Just though you might want a heads up.

toyhunter
03-04-2011, 05:34 PM
I took the tests on feb 11th in livermore and havent heard a thing so who knows. Is there a hotline number to call to see if you passed?

sarahlee108
03-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Yeah you should have gotten your results within 3 weeks and it seems that it is past that today, the number to call is: 925-459-6111 good luck!

toyhunter
03-07-2011, 05:03 PM
I did get a letter for the PTB and IST testing i took on fev 11th saying i passed thats it. Havent got anything else saying i need to doing anything else or no phone calls on it. Anyone else in the same boat im in?

mjc3303
03-07-2011, 11:30 PM
I received the same letter saying I passed from when I tested Feb 11 and it just said to hold on to the letter for proof I passed. I am hesitant to call because they told us not to. So all I can do is hurry up n wait.

scratchpad
03-12-2011, 09:27 AM
or any of you get any new news of hire or not? how about the guy from redding?

a friend of mine just got an offer, to start in april, from them yesterday. i think he took the alp on feb.13th

toyhunter
03-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Ive got no new news just a letter saying I passed the tests on the 11th of February in Livermore. Kind of annoying knowing other people are getting hired already and all ive got the chance to do is take the IST and Ptb tests

Qckrun
03-13-2011, 07:32 PM
I applied to mulitple job postings for PGE's pre-apprentice linemen ad's but have not heard a single thing. Does this mean I didnt meet certain pre-qualifications, or just they havent processed them yet?

Resto-master
03-14-2011, 10:30 PM
If you do not hear back right away dont be totally alarmed. They are hireing these pre-apprentices in batches of like 30 all year. I was told like 150 plus are coming before years end. Then for years after that im hearing. They can only hire 30 at a time cause they send you to a groundman boot camp for like 6 weeks. The company is really wanting serios qualified applicants only, kids from the NLC or similiar schools or hard workers people really wanting to be lineman not just haveing a job with good money. Willing to travel CA. show up to work on time etc. and in this economy they can get that.

1 full year as a groundman/pre apprentice probation period. 25.00$ then 30.00 after 6 months with overtime required. Class A drivers lisnence. Willing to Travel CA as GC pre apprentice. Get thru the pre apprentice period then make GC apprentice lineman with pay increases every 6 months. 4 year apprenticeship and 1 year as the groundman. It will not be easy apprenticeship, you will spend time in the Bay Area for sure most of you.
GC is a great apprenticeship as you will learn distribution,transmission and underground much like a outside line apprentice. But it will not be a piece of cake, remember its your groundman./apprenticeship, its up to you if you make Journeyman.
Good luck.

4BangenRange
03-15-2011, 03:27 AM
Just got the call today for my reschdule. So looks like I get to go out and take the ALP on April 2nd now.

J-Dog
03-15-2011, 06:47 PM
I also took the PBT and IST on Feb 11th. At the test, the admin told us we should receive the results in the mail within 3 weeks. Later she said they were trying to get us into Livermore for the ALP in Feb, so they would grade the tests right away and call those that passed. I didn't hear anything (does that mean I didn't pass). Then Mar 3rd I finally received a letter saying I passed the PBT and IST. But still no word on the ALP. I'm guessing the rain has their ALP schedule all backed up. Waiting is the hardest part.

mlm12
03-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Does anyone have any information about the 6 week training period for pre-apprentice lineman? I heard it was pretty intense, I was interested in hearing someone's experience who has been through it.

sarahlee108
03-26-2011, 08:40 PM
Just received a phone call that I passed the PTB and IST that they would like to invite me down to Livermore for the ALP on the 3rd of April. Is there anyone here who has completed the ALP and done the interview? What is the interview like and what kind of questions are asked?

Resto-master
03-27-2011, 11:27 AM
The first group isnt thru there "boot camp" yet.

4BangenRange
03-30-2011, 01:37 PM
I just got a call yesterday that my test for this weekend on the 2nd got rescheduled AGAIN!! Now got the dates for April 16th. Anyone know reason why this time?

sarahlee108
03-31-2011, 11:15 AM
4bang,

I think they rescheduled due to the weather, looks like there are going to be showers and wind gusts of up to 40 MPH on April 2nd in Livermore. This is just my speculation though. I've got my ALP for the 3rd, the day after yours, and I haven't gotten a reschedule call yet. Weather looks fine for the 3rd. Will keep you posted if things changes.

sarahlee108
03-31-2011, 02:36 PM
Bummer just got the call that I was rescheduled to April 17th. I asked the person why and he said that the linemen have been out in the field with long shifts due to all the rain, and they need a weekend off before they begin all the testing. Thought you might want to know.

J-Dog
03-31-2011, 03:08 PM
Got the call yesterday saying the ALP for April 2/3 has been postponed to April 16/17. Guess we'll have to wait a couple more weeks.

Resto-master
04-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Well, you guys shouldnt worry that much. As sully said, we were busy. The whole line department (and most likely) instructors were busy to. I think I went outta town 3 times for 5 days or more during the month of march and late feb. So this postpones hireing.

As far as I know. The first group of pre apprentices is done with boot camp in like 2 weeks. Then the next group cycles in for another 6 weeks and so on.

Also hearing there being strict over there, no tardyness cell phones etc, dont matter the reason. Be forewarned.

valencia5407
04-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Does any one know if there calling everyone in for testing or only ppl that went to school for line work?

Resto-master
04-02-2011, 10:56 PM
Far as I know, shouldn't be only kids from NLC, or other. But previos electrical/construction etc is needed I think.

sarahlee108
04-14-2011, 02:09 PM
Resto-master,

Do you by chance know Chad Lavizo or Mark Hatch at PGE? I'm pretty sure they are instructors down at the school, both linemen. Do you know if either of these guys do the interviewing?

Resto-master
04-15-2011, 05:16 PM
I know both, I dont know chad well at all but know who he is and mark hatch I do know. There guys from north somewhere out of Area 6, Around Sacramento GC.

I would say no, usually its gonna be Supervisors and some selected Foreman who will do the hireing. Also a superintendent will sit on the hireing panel as well. A superintendent is 1 rank obove supervisor.

I am surprised those two are instructing at the school but I know they needed people.

I can tell you that there are not dont hireing by any means. I saw one of these pre apprentices yesterday for the first time. So that means that class/bootcamp is done now more will start. And more to come after that and so on.

hope that helps.

sarahlee108
04-15-2011, 08:20 PM
Ok man thanks, yeah got the test this Sunday, looking forward to it. We shall see what comes out of it, and yeah I was suspecting that those that do get hired out of this batch will find out and start quickly now that the first group is finished boot camp. wish me luck!

Resto-master
04-16-2011, 04:00 PM
Yeah, good luck. Just dont go out and get hammered tonight and you should be fine, ask questions if your not sure what they want you to do.

sarahlee108
04-18-2011, 01:09 AM
What a day! I passed the ALP and had an interview, I feel it went well... we shall see though. good night!

valencia5407
04-20-2011, 11:20 PM
congrats sarahlee!!!! was the test harder than you thought and i was wondering since you already went throught the process did u go to a lineman college or do u have exp. in the field???

Jim007
04-21-2011, 11:11 AM
If anyone could tell we will pay the driving school tuition fee for a CDL class A lience after we get the job?
Thanks

barehander
04-21-2011, 11:23 AM
If anyone could tell we will pay the driving school tuition fee for a CDL class A lience after we get the job?
Thanks
If you get hired, you'll get your class A at Livermore, all expenses paid....

toyotawa
04-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Any word on a second group being hired yet? I passed the ALP and had interview back in early February. I then received and email early march saying to wait until mid April for more information. Still haven't heard anything, wondering if anyone else is in the same boat.

Jim007
04-21-2011, 07:59 PM
After passing the alp and interview, how long do we have to wait for the further information?
Thanks for help

toyotawa
04-22-2011, 03:35 PM
I talked to a recruiter yesterday and was able to get some more information. Apparently when I was in Livermore for ALP and an interview, it was only for the specific location that my application was for. This doesn't make sense to me because before the interview they asked everyone individually about work locations and travel interests. I told them I was willing to work anywhere but from what the recruiter told me I guess you must apply to each locations separately.

BKELECT
04-22-2011, 07:11 PM
I too took the ALP on the 16. They had also told me the same thing, it's only for the locations you applied, I think it's so they don't get into trouble with law sue's if they cut someone else from a job they applied for and give it to you that you didn't apply for. Luckily I applied for 4 different locations just to get my foot in the door.

Resto-master
04-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Wanting to work in one place is not a good thing to try for at this time as a pre-apprentice, its better to day I would hire anywhere. For instance, most of the staffing they will want will be around the Bay (San francisco, Oakland, San jose, east bay, richmond, san rafael.) You will find this is where PG@e can't keep enough staffing as everybody wants to get to the outskirts. So I would say that they are taking less pre apprentices in the Sacramento area, stocton, fresno, bakersfield etc than they would in the bay area.

Once again, I would say they should have more being hired. I just saw 3 this week in the field and theres more classes behind them and more classes will be started.

As mentioned before, management is saying that they will keep hireing for a few more years, to fill the gap for the retirees coming soon.

sarahlee108
04-25-2011, 02:06 PM
valencia5407,
No I have not gone to a lineman college and I do not have previous overhead work exp. I do have lots of construction exp and tree trimming exp as well, maybe this is why they brought me in for testing. And no the tests weren't harder than I though they would be. ALL the PGE people down there were super awesome people, very helpful and I could tell they'd be great people to work with. That made things easier.

Jim007,
From what they told me, its 2-3 weeks after passing the ALP + the interview before news - I know this wait is killing me too, only thing to do is just sit tight i guess!

toyotawa,
Its funny that you mentioned this because just this morning I left a message for a recruiter regarding this issue, Basically saying if they've got
and opening and I'm qualified I'd love to work anywhere for PG&E. I'll keep you posted once they give me a call back

toyotawa
04-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Well to my knowledge I was applying to every location. Before the interview they asked everyone individually about location interests and I made it very clear that I did not want to apply to just the one place but was willing to relocate to anywhere.

sarahlee108, please do let me know what you hear, very interested.

bamf123
04-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Ok now that my registration for this site is complete I will post what i heard.

My ALP and Interview was on the 17th. They told me to expect something in the mail in 2 weeks or so. A few days ago I called the guy who scheduled me for the ALP and asked him what was next and he said that the guys who will be hired will be contacted in late May. I would imagine that they are waiting to get a solid group of guys together before putting them through to the next faze.

So, at this point i'm just hoping to not hear from them any time soon. If anything comes in the mail within the next couple weeks its probably going to be the "sorry letter" So, no news is good news so to speak.

As far as location goes I only applied to the job listing I found in my area. I never thought to apply to multiple areas. You have to be willing to travel 75% of the time so I think that speaks for itself. I heard if you get hired they will call with a job offer. I'm not expecting to work in my home town. (Mendocino County)

sarahlee108
04-28-2011, 12:09 AM
Alright Toyo, the recruiter called me back today and from what she said, you can only get a position at the place/places you applied at. So if you only applied at one place, like I did, then I'm guessing my odds of getting hired at all are lower than someone who applied at a bunch of different locations. Such is life, we shall see what happens... Also I asked her if they are still on schedule with the hiring, and she said that as far as she knew, they were making their final decisions now and the candidates would find out in the next week and a half.

bamf123
04-28-2011, 05:33 PM
Interesting. I think that makes it a little rough. Of course you travel 75% of the time so how is someone supposed to pick an area thats going to greaten their odds of being hired. I live in Mendocino county so thats where I applied to of course. I figured I would be working all over the bay area due to job travel.

They asked me if I was willing to travel and work out of town from 6-12 months if the job needed me to and I said yes.

As far as this process goes I dont know what to think since so many people have been given different information. Guess we got to just sit tight and see what happens.

Resto-master
04-28-2011, 11:24 PM
Once again. I will try to explain to my knowledge how things kinda work at PG@E.

Most of the line department areas around the bay area are the worst hit by people coming and going. The company can rarely keep employees there(people leave to go back home in other states etc, bid to division etc. This is cause once you leave the bay, you can make almost the same money as you could in the bay and purchase bigger homes etc, cheaper rent, etc. So, the company looked at its lower staff areas who have the most work to do. Well this would be the bay. So hence there hireing more people to go to those groups. The outskirt areas still have alot of lineman running around and staffing is higher for the work for the most part.

So inturn they will take less pre apprentices in a given area, I know it sucks. But just remember PG@E has most of its customers and big customers in the bay. $$$$$

And when they say travel, that means travel in your own area and rotations. And If you do get in they put you back in livermore every 8 weeks for like 2 more weeks of training from the school.

bamf123
04-29-2011, 06:32 PM
Yeah, I don't know..... I'm not too worried now that I think about it. They wouldn't of had a job listing in my area if they weren't looking to fill a position here.

Jim007
04-29-2011, 06:33 PM
If I got hired, how often they send me to livermore for school class and if we will get paid?
Thanks lot

bamf123
04-29-2011, 06:40 PM
If I got hired, how often they send me to livermore for school class and if we will get paid?
Thanks lot

Your answer......

And If you do get in they put you back in livermore every 8 weeks for like 2 more weeks of training from the school.

As far as pay goes, I have no facts but training in livermore is part of the job duties/description so I would imagine its paid.

barehander
04-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks lot

You youngins kill me.....If you get hired, it's 40hrs a week min....all training is paid and all expenses are paid. You'll only get training at Livermore 5 or 6 times during your Apprenticeship. The progression tests used to be given at Livermore, but now you can do them at your headquarters.

As far as travel, with my first check, I'd buy a big, new, suitcase.......cause you could end up anywhere at anytime, for awhile.......

bamf123
04-30-2011, 01:50 AM
I'm ready to rock 'n roll here. I am willing to travel as much as needed. I went ahead and got my CDL class A permit just to stand out from the rest of the guys. With so many people coming through this program I needed something because i'm sure there was a little bit of everyone there.

I heard on another forum that they hired the top 30 out of the last batch of 300. Just hear-say but still....

Resto-master
05-02-2011, 02:14 AM
pre apprentice-25.00$ (1-6)months, months (6-12) 30.00$.:eek:

1-step apprentice 34$
2 step 35$
3step 36$
4step 37$
5step 38$
6step 39$

Ruff figures but are close. This also depends on how are next raise goes. Were are in negotions soon. So pay could go up or stay. By the time any pre apprentice makes first step it will be 2012 anyway.

Resto-master
05-02-2011, 02:15 AM
As barehander stated you get payed to learn here, very fortunate deal.

J-Dog
05-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Its been just over 2 weeks since completing the ALP. I still haven't heard anything from PG&E. Anybody else heard anything?

Jim007
05-03-2011, 07:02 PM
It seems like a bit early to concern about how much the job pays, I prefer to think about more how new guys to prevent accident on the job that the other people had paid ultimate cost. That this is the thing coming soon to us if PG&E give us a chance. I hope I can study something from the case alreday happened before I get start.

bamf123
05-03-2011, 07:51 PM
Just read through this thread. Theres a lot of information.

bamf123
05-05-2011, 08:52 PM
Coming up on 3 weeks and still no word. No Hey hows it going, no hand shake, not even a bday card in the mail on my birthday. Whats going on here???? :D

sarahlee108
05-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Haha! Yeah I hear ya man, although I am glad I'm not the only one antsy as heck waiting to hear from them. Kinda got my whole life on hold waiting for this call... I wonder if any of us who were tested on the 16-17th have gotten a call yet, not sure how many of them even know about this message board.

The waiting game continues....

bamf123
05-06-2011, 12:55 AM
Yeah, I wonder the same. A call, or even a sorry letter at this point. I tested on the 17th and have wondered if anyone has heard anything. I'm hoping that the reason we haven't been contacted is because they are waiting for enough of us to pass before they schedule us for training in Livermore. I would imagine thats the first step in the pre apprentice program.

Yeah, my life is on hold also. I wasnt the smartest person and kinda put all my eggs in the basket on this one. Lost a job in the process. Plus about a thousand dollars deep in travel expenses too.

But enough of the "poor me". I'm checking my email on a daily basis. Regular mail also but ive also been telling myself that I dont want to get anything in the mail because I still think if anything comes in the mail its not going to be the good news.

valencia5407
05-06-2011, 01:05 AM
Well at least you guys already did the testing,:) im still waiting to see if they even consider me for the IST ( already passed the ptb when applied for elec tech position) THIS SUCKSSS....... any ways GOOD LUCK to you guys!

bamf123
05-06-2011, 01:17 AM
The IST test eh? I wish I could remember which was which and give you some advice.

I took it in Feb. There was one test that was all basic math. I'm sure thats the PTB? And the other test was all visual. They give you like 30 minutes and say some will finish and some wont.

Like for example theres a picture of a window washer. Hes standing on a plank thats suspended by two ropes. Hes standing a little to the right side of the plank while washing the window and the question asks

Which rope is under the most tension?

a) Rope A

b) Rope B

c) They are under equal tension.

Stuff like that. Nothing all that difficult. Its actually kind of a entertaining test if you can beat the stress. Counting boxes was a bitch but I must of did fine means I passed. I'm sure you will do fine.

bamf123
05-06-2011, 01:55 AM
Oh and FYI I will come on and post the end result for me when I get it whether its pass or fail.

bamf123
05-07-2011, 06:11 PM
Does anyone have any contact numbers to get a hold of someone within the PG&E hiring?

I kept the number for the guy who called me to schedule the ALP but he has no other information on the process. Ive also got the number for the IST and PTB test results but obviously thats not going to do much good at this point.

I know the information will eventually come on its own but I want to poke around a little and see if I cant get some time of heads up from someone.

What i'm really curious to know is if ANYONE has been notified on NOT getting the position. The last info that was given directly to me was "the lucky candidates will be notified around the end of May". So, would that mean that the unlucky ones have already been notified?

somedaysoon
05-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Does anyone have any contact numbers to get a hold of someone within the PG&E hiring?

I kept the number for the guy who called me to schedule the ALP but he has no other information on the process. Ive also got the number for the IST and PTB test results but obviously thats not going to do much good at this point.

I know the information will eventually come on its own but I want to poke around a little and see if I cant get some time of heads up from someone.

What i'm really curious to know is if ANYONE has been notified on NOT getting the position. The last info that was given directly to me was "the lucky candidates will be notified around the end of May". So, would that mean that the unlucky ones have already been notified?

check ur pm bro

bamf123
05-07-2011, 07:25 PM
Cool guys, thanks! I will make some calls and when I hear back I will definitely let you know what I hear.

We are really lucky to have a forum board like this. A lot of good people here.

J-Dog
05-07-2011, 08:51 PM
bamf, I'm wondering where you heard the lucky ones should hear something in late May? I called the HR guy that scheduled me for the ALP, but I didn't get any info. Interested to hear what you find out.

bamf123
05-07-2011, 09:45 PM
bamf, I'm wondering where you heard the lucky ones should hear something in late May? I called the HR guy that scheduled me for the ALP, but I didn't get any info. Interested to hear what you find out.

The guy who I talked to was named Scott. I didnt catch his last name but thats what he told me when I talked to him a week after the ALP/Interview.

I will definitely let you know. I'm scanning this forum everyday for information also. We are all in the same boat here.

bamf123
05-08-2011, 07:44 PM
(415) 973-9988 that's the number Scott the recruiter gave me to speak to a girl named Danielle for questions. I haven't called her so if you speak to her let us know what the word is.

When I called Danielle to leave a voice mail for a call back her voice mail states that they are making their decisions and will be contacting those who get the job by either email for phone within the next week and a half. I decided against leaving a msg. sarahlee posted here around the 27th with that same timeline so I think i'm just going to wait this one out. Wednesday will be a week and a half since he posted that info.

My only question to her would of been to ask if they have sent out any sorry letters yet or if they are waiting until they contact those who get the job.

Not a very critical question.

I imagine we are going to find out within the next few days.

BKELECT
05-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Yeah I heard something like that from Scott. He said the they would be contacting people towards the end of may. Just hoping I get the opportunity to work for them.

Iwannabealineman
05-10-2011, 01:04 AM
So i guess im in the same boat as everyone else on here. Took all my tests, passed, and had my interview in February. Got an email saying i didnt get the job becuase they had more qualified candidates. I went to NLC and have been working for an ATT contractor in the mean time. Online all my applications are still under review, but when i call their recruitment center they are of no help. I heard from other candidates who were in the same boat as me told me they heard that you wont get the job because of one specific question. When they ask why you want to be a lineman, dont answer why you want to be a lineman in general, answer why you want to work for PG&E. I heard this from some Current PG&E lineman aswell. So now i have no clue what im gonna do next...

bamf123
05-10-2011, 01:21 AM
So i guess im in the same boat as everyone else on here. Took all my tests, passed, and had my interview in February. Got an email saying i didnt get the job becuase they had more qualified candidates. I went to NLC and have been working for an ATT contractor in the mean time. Online all my applications are still under review, but when i call their recruitment center they are of no help. I heard from other candidates who were in the same boat as me told me they heard that you wont get the job because of one specific question. When they ask why you want to be a lineman, dont answer why you want to be a lineman in general, answer why you want to work for PG&E. I heard this from some Current PG&E lineman aswell. So now i have no clue what im gonna do next...

I'm not a lineman yet. I hope I get this opportunity though. But what I CAN tell you is that it takes a special breed to be a lineman. I would never have taken the advice on the way to answer that question. I'm sure they are only going to hire individuals who can hack it and WANT to be a lineman. I'm not saying you cant but they might take that answer as someone who wants to be paid good and doesn't care where they work as long as its with a company with good benefits.

Thats just my 2 cents. If you really want to be a lineman then tell them why. Do you want to travel? Work out doors? Work with your hands? I would be specific. Sounds like your on your way means you went to NLC. If I dont get the pre-apprentice position I might do the same thing.

Good luck!

How long did it take for you to find out you didnt get the job?

Iwannabealineman
05-10-2011, 01:32 AM
I answer the question with why i want to be a lineman, not just for a specific company. But when i heard that that might have been the reason why i didnt get the job, i kind of got mad. Im willing to do whatever and go wherever they want to send me, and i told them that. It actually didnt take long the the process at all. took all my written tests months before for another job, and did my ALP test on february 12th i beleive. It only took about a week or so to get an email from them. I heard they are suppose to be hiring around 20-25 pre apprentices every quarter so about every three months. The next round of hiring should be soon. And since i Didnt get the job, they said i couldnt apply again for another three months. Does anyone know if when i apply again ill have to do the ALP and interview over again? I actually would like to do the interview again.

bamf123
05-10-2011, 01:40 AM
I hear ya. I posted about the interview on the other thread on this forum so that anyone else going in will have an idea of what to expect.

Well, between you and me (and anyone who reads this) ive found this process pretty frustrating. Its been a roller coaster ride. After the IST and PTB it took them exactly 2 weeks to get back to me. The lady giving the test said that we could get a call as early as that following Monday (took the test on a Friday) so naturally I was thinking wtf? Did I fail? But yeah, I passed. Now it feels I'm back in that situation. Just wondering if i'm going to make it to the next stage of their program. Its frustrating. They are pretty damn strict. I found that out with the way they did their interviews. I'm sure i'm not the only one who would have done things just a little different if given the opportunity again. But oh well, balls in their court now.

Good question about taking the ALP again. I'm sure you would have to do the interview though.

Iwannabealineman
05-10-2011, 01:46 AM
Its pretty much a waiting game with them. This is a whole new way of hiring they are doing right now. Alot of the managers and foremen hate it. After you take the ALP just make sure you bug them, call twice a week, thats what i do. Even tho the people in their recruitment center are really no help. What just bugged me is they told me i wasnt hired because they had more qualified applicants. I went to school with a few of the guys and none of them had any experience what so ever, no construction experience, nothing. I have four years of Electrical experience, As well as 3 years construction. I was also working for an AT&T contractor at the time for about six months which to me is better experience than say working at a grocery store.

bamf123
05-10-2011, 01:59 AM
Yeah, I talked to a 15 year lineman and he told me "Tell them you know nothing". I was thinking hmmm why would I do that? But really, what this program is based off of is training the right people. The interview was basically a personality test. I'm in the same boat as you with the background. If I dont end up getting this job its possibly because of the interview. I dont think I did that bad though but that would be my only guess as to why. I even went out and got my class A permit ahead of time. So if I dont get the position, and you didnt, who knows what their deal is haha.

Dont get mad though dude. It sucks its such a long process. I was telling myself that if I made it to the interview I would be good. I'm pretty good with talking to people but their system was weird. Didnt feel I had the chance to put it all on the table so to speak.

I'm sure they are going to get back to me in the next couple days. When I find out I will post on here letting everyone know. If I dont get the job Im going to call and ask questions. You know, poke around a little. See what I can find out.

Iwannabealineman
05-10-2011, 02:04 AM
Yea i know not to get mad, but i just get frustrated. This whole thing about paying alot of money and going to school, and getting screwed over by a few contractors, i thought i finally had a chance to start the career ive wanted for awhile, my only fear tho is, as time goes on, more people come out of these schools and make your chances alot harder. Ive been out of NLC for almost a year and still looking for work.
i guess your right tho, just call and poke around and see what you can find out. talk to as many people as you can

bamf123
05-10-2011, 02:12 AM
Sounds like you just failed the interview. Try to think, did you answer some questions with "I would have..." and not "I did...." I dont know man. It was tough.

I read that there are a lot of line workers that are retiring soon. And think man, if PG&E was getting a lot of people fresh out of NCL, do you think they would have the need to start a new "pre-apprentice" position? When you graduate the school you should jump right into a apprentice position without going through as a pre-apprentice first. (at least in the perfect world) But yeah, sounds like you just need a second crack at the interview. Give it another shot. You sound determined. Thats a good thing.

bamf123
05-10-2011, 02:15 AM
Maybe an age thing though also. I dont know how old you are. I'm 29. One of the linemen I had talked to before the ALP said that was the perfect age. Just a thought, trying to give you ideas. I could only imagine someone not getting hired due to age is if they are too old. Maybe the guy meant I was at the perfect age to start a career there. I dont know.

Iwannabealineman
05-10-2011, 02:19 AM
A few of their managers came to NLC and talked to us about work. They also said they were thinking about sending their apprentices to NLC to knock off their first year of apprenticeship. One of PG&E's preferred experiences was NLC or an equivelant school.
The Interview didnt even really seem like an interview, it kinda felt like just talking, if that makes sense. but We'll see what happens. Just gonna take some time i guess. IM just ready to start the line career

bamf123
05-10-2011, 02:28 AM
Yeah, I remember reading that some where in the application process. It must be frustrating to go through that schooling and not get the job due to others being more qualified. That must be just a standard email sent out to the people who dont get the job. I dont think anyone is going to be more qualified than you. Maybe others that went through the schooling but not more qualified.

You probably thought you had it. What a bummer man. Did you call the PR lady Danielle?

Iwannabealineman
05-10-2011, 02:36 AM
Well alot of people are more qualified, and also people that already work for PG&E. Ive called a bunch times, but never got ahold of her. Guess ill just have to wait for the next round and apply again.

bamf123
05-10-2011, 03:09 AM
Well, I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one. The morning of the ALP I was at, a bunch of us showed up early and we were talking outside the doors and I didnt hear of anyone that even went to NLC or even other linemen from other companies. I was in the first group that went through (28 of us) and when the PR people were talking to us before the video they asked if anyone worked for PG&E and nobody raised their hands.

I think you would be surprised with the amount of people that actually interviewed with no line work experience. (me being 1 of them) So, I have no inside connection or anything but I would put 100 dollars down that the letter/email you got was a standard email sent to everyone that didnt get the job and that the reason you didnt get hired had nothing to do with qualification.

Iwannabealineman
05-10-2011, 03:47 AM
I sure hope your right, cause i just want another chance. But im hoping there were just too many people and i just didnt get picked for some reason, but my time will come, just gotta be patient.

bamf123
05-10-2011, 03:55 AM
Yeah, good luck with everything. You put in the time at the school so your day will come. Hopefully sooner than later. As time goes on, more people will find this forum and more information will be posted so keep checking back.

Resto-master
05-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Ok, lets see if this helps once again.

I saw a few of the pre apprentice start about 4 weeks ago in the field. They said class right behind them is about 3 weeks behind. So anyday now, these guys will come to the field and so on. This is supposed to go on all year. And for the next several years we hear.

Also hearing they have tried to get all the NLC kids first, now there hireing non lineman college people and others soon.

Be persistant, call that girl.

It's not over yet and yes i would say its important to praise pge in the interview and have some information about it to tell, this is my opinion thou.

Resto-master
05-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Maybe inquire as to what General constuction is at PG@E and make it sound like nothings cooler.

Iwannabealineman
05-11-2011, 01:36 AM
Does anyone have Danielle at PG&E's number? The only one i have it the one for their recriutment center

bamf123
05-11-2011, 01:44 AM
Check your PM dude. I sent it to you.

bamf123
05-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Again, I doubt PG&E is looking for someone to come in and kiss butt so that they get a shot at this lineman position. Everyone knows PG&E is a great company to work for. They wont want someone applying for the job who would be fine working behind a desk as well. Linemen is a special breed. Not everyone can do it. I would recommend going in and telling them why you want to be a Lineman and not why you want to work for the company. You have to have passion for what you want to do for a living and if your only doing this for a paycheck then you wont last long. And they know that. They want people that will be in it for the long haul.

talkram
05-12-2011, 06:07 PM
I am still under review. I have not heard anything since the email that said

Hello,

I wanted to touch base with you about your application for the Pre-Apprentice Lineman position. I truly appreciate your patience in this long process. We are currently assessing headcount and training class size, but we should have additional information to you as soon as possible.

I do want you to know that everything has been positive for your candidacy so far in the process.

We will reach out to you once we have more information.

Thank you!

I called once about a week and a half ago and got ahold of Danielle and what she told me was pretty vague. I am still under review so I hope that means it is not a "No" to the job. I feel I tested and interviewed well so here is hoping. Anyone else happen to have anymore information that I do?

bamf123
05-12-2011, 07:27 PM
talkram,

I havent heard anything yet. Not since the interview that is. When was your ALP/Interview and how long after your interview did you get that email?

Thanks

talkram
05-12-2011, 07:35 PM
I believe it was April 16th that I had the ALP, and I had the interview at the end of the day. The interview itself was a little over an hour long. I got that email in my previous post on Friday, April 22nd at 5:07pm

bamf123
05-12-2011, 07:55 PM
My ALP was on the 17th. My interview lasted maybe an hour or so? I never got an email though. This is the first email of that type that ive heard of. Your probably good to go.

valencia5407
05-14-2011, 02:13 PM
Hey i have a couple of questions i was wondering since you have all done the ALP test, id imagine the memory part of it was the hardest can you guys tell me what you did in it and were the other 4 parts of the test hard? Also when you guys say the interview was an hour long is that the sitdown part or does it include the ALP? Any info would be appreciated Thank you!

BKELECT
05-14-2011, 02:33 PM
For the memory test, the guys repeats objects you need to move About over a dozen times and has you repeat it with him. As far as the other event, very simple and basic. The interview is about an hour long, it all depends on how much you and the interviewers like to talk.

talkram
05-14-2011, 02:35 PM
The memory test was not hard, it was just a mind **** because you are thinking "Man, if I **** this up I will have to come back in 6 months to retest it"

lol, at least that is how it was for me. Other than that it is easy, you can practice by taking out 12 items, 4 items in 4 separate categories, and having someone tell you where to place them and in what order if you want.

bamf123
05-14-2011, 04:01 PM
Hey i have a couple of questions i was wondering since you have all done the ALP test, id imagine the memory part of it was the hardest can you guys tell me what you did in it and were the other 4 parts of the test hard? Also when you guys say the interview was an hour long is that the sitdown part or does it include the ALP? Any info would be appreciated Thank you!

Check out my posts here http://www.powerlineman.com/lforum/showthread.php?t=6759

J-Dog
05-15-2011, 03:32 PM
The memory test probably was the hardest part for me. I was a little amped up from completing all the physical tasks. Just had to focus and concentrate. The advice Talkram gave for practicing should work well. The interview was an hour by itself. The whole day was over 5 hours from checkin, orientation, ALP, to interview. And I wasn't even the last guy.

bamf123
05-15-2011, 05:03 PM
Yeah I dont recommend practicing the memory test. I think you either got it or you dont. Everyone I talked to ahead of me told me not to practice. Said it made things more difficult when they took the official test because they had spent so much time remembering the practice runs that they were still stuck in their head when they did the actual test and it was hard to remember new ones.

Try to associate what they give you to things in real life. I dont know, worked for me...

Horse shoe 2 ball glove 1..... saw 4. haha I wonder how long i'm going to remember that for???

I DO recommend you do it FIRST though. Kinda like what J Dog said, you make it through all the other tests and then you get to the memory test and its frustrating having to wait. Physical tests are easy for most people and when it comes to the memory test and you have to wait in line and its all quiet and your amped from the other tests because you know you've already passed them and this one is the last thing in between you and an interview? Yeah, its a slow process at that station and if I could go back and do it again I would choose to do the memory first so that I could blow through the rest and be on my way.

Good luck! Theres no stupid questions so feel free to ask anything related.

Jim007
05-15-2011, 08:02 PM
When I got interview on Apirl 17, the interview people told me 1 out of 4 will have a chance

bamf123
05-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Well means I dont see an employer looking down at a candidate during an interview and saying "Theres so many people applying for this position that you have a 1 in 4 chance of getting the job." I'm sure they had figured that 1 in 4 would make it to an interview and enter the pool of candidates that qualify for the job????

I really cant picture the guys who interviewing me say that even if your qualified for the job you still have only a 1 in 4 chance to be lucky enough to be picked.

talkram
05-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Actually that is about right Bamf, in this economy maybe all of us would have been qualified. They can be super choosy right now. I mean do the numbers....

4800 people apply
they call in 600 for the IST PBT
400 or so in for the ALP
and probably 50-100 spots to fill in class with I am guessing a 25-30% attrition rate.

granted this is all speculation, but that is how it worked when I worked for comcast.

bamf123
05-15-2011, 11:46 PM
Yeah its really hard to say. So many people have different information. Here is part of a post that was made earlier in this thread. I believe the guy works for PG&E???

"If you do not hear back right away dont be totally alarmed. They are hireing these pre-apprentices in batches of like 30 all year. I was told like 150 plus are coming before years end. Then for years after that im hearing. They can only hire 30 at a time cause they send you to a groundman boot camp for like 6 weeks."

So, who really knows. Ive tried to make calls to contact people but I keep hitting dead ends. I dont think they would want to pay the instructors to work at the Livermore Training Center to have so many people go through the ALP if they were only planning on hiring a small handfull out of everyone that passed.

I was in the first group the morning of the 17th of April. People were showing up pretty consistently throughout the day. In fact I was the 8th guy that morning to make it to the interview (i counted the names on that list we had to sign our names on before the interview) and when I left at 12 or so I would have to say there was maybe 10 different vehicles just showing up with people getting out and ready for their shot at the ALP.

I'm willing to guess that there were at least 75-100 guys present for ALP on that day. I was in the first 28. There were tons. Too many to count accurately.

I'm not arguing with you man because I appreciate the info. I guess I just hope your wrong with those numbers...

talkram
05-16-2011, 12:04 AM
I hope I am too, but I am just going on past experience, and what I was able to gather with my conversation with Danielle. I picked her brain for about 20 minutes and she broke it down like this.

1. If you have not heard anything negative yet then you are still good.

2. Make sure that all your contact information is accurate.

3. We have to sort out who wants to work where, because almost everybody applied for all the positions, from this we have to figure out how many people we will send to the next class.

4. You may be qualified to attend but not receive a call for a while because of the following reasons.

a. We may have a full class, but you may get called because someone fails the background.

b. The class may full but you may receive a call if someone fails the drug test.

c. You may receive a call if someone fails out in the first couple weeks of the school.

5. Keep looking at job postings if you never hear back from us.

6. We still have to establish the next cycle of classes, but if you have not heard anything negative from us you still may have a chance.

What she did not tell me.

The classes are already full, she did not say.

You passed the interview (they are still sorting through)

Seemed like there was a lot she did not say, but her answers were a lot like I had expected. No news is good news as far as I am concerned, lol.

bamf123
05-16-2011, 01:55 AM
Thanks for the break down. That actually helped me understand a little better. I had posted a couple weeks ago on the "no news is good news" deal. I'm glad someone else picked up on that info as well.

So, there hasn't been anyone from April ALP that's posted that they did not get the job. I had started wondering if PG&E had even gotten to that point yet. As time goes on and I haven't been contacted I kinda like to think that its a good thing. But at the same time, if they are behind and nobody from the ALP on April 17th has been contacted pass/fail then I don't know. A little light at the end of the tunnel would be greatly appreciated.

The fact she says to keep applying to other positions if we don't hear from them sheds no hope for a light.

What I'm wondering is why you got an email and I didn't. Your ALP was the day before mine if I remember right. I mean there's got to be a reason I didn't get an email RIGHT? But at the same time, I haven't got the negative email either so wtf.

I'm about to take the shoe laces out of my shoes and practice knot tying...... a noose! (JOKE!)

talkram
05-16-2011, 02:25 AM
lol, I understand, my life is on hold right now. I am taking off to Virginia for 3 weeks on the 22nd for a school with the reserves and am really hoping that I have a job when I come back, lol. I really hate being unemployed.

talkram
05-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Called the Human Resources today 5/16/2011.

All decisions regarding the Pre-Apprentice Lineman open positions will be made by end of business on 5/17/2011.

valencia5407
05-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Thanks for all the info. it was really helpful. What other questions do they ask during the interview besides experience, why do you want to be a lineman. do they ask any unexpeceted questions?

bamf123
05-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Thanks for all the info. it was really helpful. What other questions do they ask during the interview besides experience, why do you want to be a lineman. do they ask any unexpeceted questions?

GO HERE http://www.powerlineman.com/lforum/showthread.php?t=6759

Read the last post

ntxhand
05-16-2011, 04:35 PM
https://pge.peoplescout.com/jobs/JobDescRequestAction.action?PSUID=e67ed279-d4b9-43cb-8cf5-9e61c7d22962

talkram
05-16-2011, 04:46 PM
nxthand, that link does not take us anywhere, it just says that the session has timed out.

bamf123
05-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Its the same page you gave us a link to. The returning candidate page. The only difference is his link doesn't work because he copied and pasted the link once he was logged in.

talkram
05-16-2011, 04:50 PM
lol, gotcha. My bad.

talkram
05-16-2011, 04:51 PM
I find myself nervous that we will have an answer by tomorrow. I am camping by the phone all day tomorrow. lol

bamf123
05-16-2011, 04:53 PM
Oh, and thanks for the info. Hopefully we all get the good news.

I just called the recruiter line and they said that I show up as "awaiting hire" but the lady said that just means they are still reviewing me. She said we will show up under that title for up to 6 months max.

Good to hear tomorrow is the end of their decision making. I feel pretty confident but at the same time, just knowing one way or the other would be nice.

talkram
05-16-2011, 04:54 PM
I hear that. Has your "under review" changed at all, or is the "Awaiting hire" just in their system?

bamf123
05-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Just in their system unfortunately. Nothings changed on my end. Yeah, I'm going to be waiting by the phone also! But,.... dont forget to check your email too. If its the bad news then they will email it I guess. But they also might give you the good news via email also. My email is connected to my woman's cell phone so that any new information that gets emailed to me she can let me know asap.

I've definitely got my fingers crossed for myself and everyone else on here. I hope I didn't drop 1k and also get my CDL for nothing. Although its been quite the experience. Regardless, I made it to the end of their process.

If I dont get the job I'm not just going to disappear. I will post on here and let everyone know either way.

talkram
05-16-2011, 05:06 PM
Same here, I will also post any information that will go along with the decision either way.

bamf123
05-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Yeah I'm going to be up bright and early tomorrow morning. But technically, they said they are making their final decisions tomorrow. They never said they will be contacting us tomorrow. Either way....

J-Dog
05-17-2011, 12:39 AM
I hope we all get good news in the next couple days.

sarahlee108
05-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Called the Human Resources today 5/16/2011.

All decisions regarding the Pre-Apprentice Lineman open positions will be made by end of business on 5/17/2011.

WHOOW! Seems like things are starting to heat up! I'll let yall know if I hear anythinng...

sarahlee108
05-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Looks like I got the sorry letter...

"Thank you for submitting a resume in response to our Pre-Apprentice Lineman - GC opening. We appreciate your interest and are pleased that you regard Pacific Gas and Electric Company as an employer that offers a promising future.

Unfortunately, due to the limited number of openings and the limited number of locations you applied for, we were unable to move forward with you at this time. We hope you will re-apply.
Best regards,

Talent Acquisition
Pacific Gas and Electric Company"

bamf123
05-17-2011, 07:20 PM
No man, you and Talkram are encouraged to reapply. I hope you guys do. Next time around apply for multiple positions. The letter says that if you would have done that to begin with, you would have got hired this time around.

I posted my letter in the other area. I think thats the official sorry letter of the year lol. I'm pretty pissed, but what can ya do?

rjsindeed
05-19-2011, 03:29 PM
A GLIMMER OF HOPE for all those that received the "sorry" letter regarding this position!!!!! ....***Absolutely unbelievable***...... I can't believe this but I just got a call this last Friday offering me the Pre-Apprentice Lineman job. I took the ALP on JANUARY 29TH and received the sorry letter about 2 weeks later. I was really bummed out... all that hard work and nothing to show for it :( BUT I just received a call telling me that my interview score was just under the lowest score that they had decided to hire at the time.. In other words, I didn't quite make the cut back in late January/early February... but then she said that They had recently decided to lower the cutoff score and offer jobs to those who didn't quite make the cut but were very close!! Crazy how things work sometimes!! Like I said... absolutely unbelievable.

bamf123
05-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Congratulations! Thats amazing news for you. This is a life changing opportunity for most. I hope you make the best of it. I hear the bootcamp is pretty tough and about half cant hack it.

Let us know how it goes for you. I dont think any of us are giving up.

How many areas did you apply to? Most of us did only 1 area but this second time around we did every one of them.

Roofus
05-20-2011, 02:05 AM
I just applied for 5 pre-aprentice openings. Heres to hoping... Really hope I can get in.

J-Dog
05-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Congrats to rsjindeed. That's pretty crazy calling you months after the sorry letter. I got the sorry letter earlier this week. I must have scored pretty low on the interview if they lowered the interview score required and I still wasn't selected. Guess that tells me what to work on.

miguel19822001
05-21-2011, 10:59 AM
I need some advice, i took the ptb and ist test and passed but i never got called to do the ALP , Is anyone in the same problem i have. i did My tests in february.... i called the recruiter and they said i was still under review...

bamf123
05-21-2011, 04:38 PM
You need to call Danielle dude

rjsindeed
05-22-2011, 03:13 PM
My group was the first group to test for the ALP and interview on January 29th. You can read my earlier posts in this thread and others if your curious where I'm at in this process. I have a friend who has been hired, and a friend who has received the sorry letter. In fact, as previously mentioned, I received the sorry letter too.... only to have it rescinded and offered the job 3 months later. If there is one thing I have learned throughout this application process is that PG&E has a lot on its plate, and that the hiring process POST interview is obviously very very time consuming for them. HR has its work cut out to say the least. Because this large scale Pre-Apprentice hiring process has never been previously attempted by PG&E, by the flow of things it seems as if they were experimenting at first, trying to find out where a good cutoff interview score might be....and it seems that now, they definitely have come up with one and the process will probably start to pick up some pace throughout this next 17-city hiring. For all those who have interviewed, but are still lying in wait regarding an answer........patience is the key. I suck at being patient and I hate it when people tell me to be patient, but in this particular case, there is no other option. In time, you WILL find out. It took my buddy a MONTH to get offered the job after getting an email telling him that he will hear back within a week. Just be confident that HR is working hard on getting everything taken care of... and that your name will eventually come up on the list of people to call, or people to write.... just pray that your on the write list :)

bamf123
05-22-2011, 04:52 PM
My group was the first group to test for the ALP and interview on January 29th. You can read my earlier posts in this thread and others if your curious where I'm at in this process. I have a friend who has been hired, and a friend who has received the sorry letter. In fact, as previously mentioned, I received the sorry letter too.... only to have it rescinded and offered the job 3 months later. If there is one thing I have learned throughout this application process is that PG&E has a lot on its plate, and that the hiring process POST interview is obviously very very time consuming for them. HR has its work cut out to say the least. Because this large scale Pre-Apprentice hiring process has never been previously attempted by PG&E, by the flow of things it seems as if they were experimenting at first, trying to find out where a good cutoff interview score might be....and it seems that now, they definitely have come up with one and the process will probably start to pick up some pace throughout this next 17-city hiring. For all those who have interviewed, but are still lying in wait regarding an answer........patience is the key. I suck at being patient and I hate it when people tell me to be patient, but in this particular case, there is no other option. In time, you WILL find out. It took my buddy a MONTH to get offered the job after getting an email telling him that he will hear back within a week. Just be confident that HR is working hard on getting everything taken care of... and that your name will eventually come up on the list of people to call, or people to write.... just pray that your on the write list :)

From my experience, this time around I hope to be on the call list myself. lol

But yeah, got applications in to all areas. My area is STILL OPEN! Makes me frustrated because they must not be getting too many applicants to this area. I'm not going to hold my breathe on it though. Ive actually kinda moved on and whatever happens, happens.

Good luck to everyone!

miguel19822001
05-23-2011, 10:06 AM
You need to call Danielle dude

whos danielle and what the number?

bamf123
05-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Reapply. Its still open in my area

miguel19822001
05-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Well i got in contact over email with danielle from PG&E i told her that i passed both test in january but i never got called back to take the ALP test she said " We dont have you in our system saying you took the tests, its showing nothing" i said WHAT!!!!! i have two letter saying i passed the PTB and IST in january...;She replied: someone did not update your test results, I apoligize.....ive been waiting for a call for 3 months now and she said i should reapply again.....which i had already done acouple of days ago....this is unbelievable......By the way any one going through the same problem get in contact with Danielle she alo of help just leav a message shell reply

bamf123
05-24-2011, 06:17 PM
I probably left 5 different voice mails to Danielle. Never got called back on any of them.

This process is going to screw PG&E. Its allowing them to pass up good employees. I'm not just speaking of myself.

bamf123
05-24-2011, 06:29 PM
If someone would send me her email address I wouldnt mind giving it one last shot.

miguel19822001
05-24-2011, 06:31 PM
i dont even know why theres a number to call recruiters they had no idea that something was missing everytime i called them, if i hadnt of called danielle i would have never found out, i would have still been waiting to get a call not that it matters anyways im pretty sure i missed my chance along time ago...... but at least now i know why i never got to take the ALP test or interview....... this sucks oh well..... have you tryied emailing her (D5BS@pge.com) try it...

Roofus
05-25-2011, 04:00 AM
Just curious, after applying, if selected, about how long before they contact you to take the tests?

bamf123
05-25-2011, 03:57 PM
Roofus,

This process seems to be a little different for everyone. PG&E is making changes to their process as they go a long. So, I had IST and PTB in Feb and my ALP and Interview was in April.

With that being said...

I applied last Dec. Didnt hear anything until the beginning of Feb. They scheduled me for Feb 25 (IST&PTB) then two weeks later I was contacted to schedule the ALP. (Took ALP April 17th)

Hope that helps.

rjsindeed
05-30-2011, 02:04 PM
Roofus... Bamf123 is absolutely right. The process is constantly changing. I applied in December and the process started literally within a week...I took the tests, then a week later they told me to come back in a week for the ALP. I've talked to guys who applied later and it took a lot longer for them to hear back even for the written tests. But know this... once you get your written test date and pass, the process really starts kicking into high gear. You'll be scheduled for your ALP and interview in no time.

bamf123
05-31-2011, 01:42 AM
So, its been about 2 weeks since the re-opened the position online. They were expecting to get more applicants this time around (over 4000 within the first couple days last time) and I just noticed the listings are STILL UP. Idk, I'm kinda over it.

It would have been a great opportunity financially. BUT on the other hand, I think that it would have torn apart my family life. If I would have been given the shot I would have taken it and not given up. But on the other hand, I'm thankful to not have been put in a position to have to choose income over family.

With that being said, I did go back as stated and applied to what? All 16 areas? But, its different for me this time. I'm not holding my breathe and counting my ducks.

I hope everything works out for everyone who is still trying to get in. The positions are still open for a reason. They obviously didn't get as many applicants as expected this time around. Which means what they will do first is lower the minimum scoring and then contact those of us who will then meet those requirements then they will pull from the list of candidates who applied recently.

Again, good luck.

sarahlee108
06-02-2011, 12:56 AM
Just sticking my nose out there to see if anyone has heard back from this second round of PG&E hiring? It seems that there are only a handful of us that are on this site, or post on it at least. Would be nice to see some new applicants here. Danielle told me that they would be getting a hold of the lucky ones 2-3 weeks after the job posting was taken down its coming up on two business weeks this Friday, so those that are going to be brought in for testing should start hearing back soon. Any new applicants for the PG&E job out there? Its really easy to start an account and post here, so please do so if you can, thanks.

Myles27
06-02-2011, 12:03 PM
Just sticking my nose out there to see if anyone has heard back from this second round of PG&E hiring? It seems that there are only a handful of us that are on this site, or post on it at least. Would be nice to see some new applicants here. Danielle told me that they would be getting a hold of the lucky ones 2-3 weeks after the job posting was taken down its coming up on two business weeks this Friday, so those that are going to be brought in for testing should start hearing back soon. Any new applicants for the PG&E job out there? Its really easy to start an account and post here, so please do so if you can, thanks.

I'm new to the forum and the PG&E job was the first time I've pursued a position as a lineman. A family friend has worked for PG&E for about five years as a lineman and when he told me about how much he loves his job, I could tell it would be a great fit for me. I just graduated from Sacramento State and am looking to find a job where I can work outdoors and have pride in my work. I have worked for CalFire as a seasonal firefighter to put myself through school and I see a lot of similarities in my job and a lineman but I don't know if it will be enough to get called in for testing. Good luck to everyone that applied!

pococo30
06-02-2011, 02:13 PM
I applied for the first time this go around. I have posted a couple of times prior. I have worked for the phone company climbing for 4 years and work with low voltage. I thought I had a shot with all my climbing experience but I am not holding my breath. I have been browsing on this site and it seems like you are a needle in a hay stack with this PG&E pre apprentice job. Seems like there are a ton of people going for it. Well I will post on here either way. Good luck to all you guys.

konnersdad6
06-02-2011, 04:04 PM
I applied for the first time to PG&E on May 18th. Haven't heard anything back yet.

rjsindeed
06-02-2011, 04:57 PM
I took the Post-Offer Physical Exam yesterday in Livermore and it was a bit tougher than I expected. Nothing crazy hard.... but there was a 40 pound hot stick portion that was a bit grueling. They hooked me up to a heart monitor and kept constant track of my heartrate during the entire test. There were 5 portions...

1. Lift 112 pound box onto a 2 foot high shelf.
2. Belt onto an artificial pole and lift a 74 pound crossarm from belt high to head high and hold for 2 seconds. (Drop the crossarm or let it touch the ground, you fail)
3. Maintain control of a hotstick for 5 minutes while placing the head of it in various locations above and behind you on a wall. (Drop the hotstick or let it touch the ground, you fail)
4. Balance on each foot for 30 seconds.
5. Climb 3 pole steps up and down 15 times.

Heart rate must never go above 220 minus your age or you fail.
Heart rate must be below 100 before being allowed to take the test.
Blood pressure must be below 160/100 before being allowed to take the test.

Good luck for those who get this far in the process.

miller-mechanical
06-04-2011, 10:38 AM
Haven't heard anything yet. Keeping my fingers crossed!:D

yager024
06-04-2011, 12:54 PM
Thought you guys would like to know I got a call today, they left a message. I called them back because I accepted a position in another company.

sarahlee108
06-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I wonder if this leg of hiring will be slower than the first. From what I've read the first batch of guys going through the tests went very quickly. The second batch (which I was in) moved slower. The recruiter said this time around would be quick and they would like guys starting work in early July, but it seems like things might be moving slower with guys only getting the call today. 3 written tests will need to be taken along with the ALP, and interview and background/selection after that. Would be very impressed to see all this done within 30 days.

miller-mechanical
06-04-2011, 05:36 PM
So if we haven't heard anything yet, is that a bad sign? About 10 of my buddies from class got tests and interviews from the first round but only two actually made it all the way thru and are working now. It went really fast. I'm just wondering with all of the competition, if there is even a chance for someone like me. I have 9 years as a foreman in the plumbing trade but no exp in this trade only my climbing cert, osha 10, cpr/first aid, and class A. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys....

bamf123
06-04-2011, 08:17 PM
So if we haven't heard anything yet, is that a bad sign? About 10 of my buddies from class got tests and interviews from the first round but only two actually made it all the way thru and are working now. It went really fast. I'm just wondering with all of the competition, if there is even a chance for someone like me. I have 9 years as a foreman in the plumbing trade but no exp in this trade only my climbing cert, osha 10, cpr/first aid, and class A. Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys....

You should be fine. Just try to be patient. You will eventually hear something.

miller-mechanical
06-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Thank you bamf123. Kinda funny 15 minutes after I posted, I got a call to test on the 13th in bakersfield! That's funny how things work. Someone's looking out for me!
: thank you for the support!

sarahlee108
06-04-2011, 09:34 PM
That's great man glad to hear you got the call! Is it all three tests, the PTB, IST and WIO? or just the first two?

miller-mechanical
06-04-2011, 10:05 PM
All three tests..

valencia5407
06-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Does anyone know if its a bad thing if we haven't gotten the call for testing by now??

sarahlee108
06-06-2011, 12:41 AM
I don't know man, but what I do know is the longer you dont hear from them the less likely you are to get a call at all. Danielle told me this. But what it comes down to is when did they actually start calling people. The first we know of was Saturday (he posted here). This is the day they could have started the calling or it could have been earlier who knows. If I were you I wouldn't try and read too far into it, it will drive you nuts. Trust me, I speak with experience :)

miller-mechanical
06-06-2011, 03:07 AM
Sarahlee hit it right on the button. I have already drove myself crazy wondering. Some of my previous applications for PG&E are still in process and I applied for those over three months ago. I've had similar experiences with edison too. For me what was worse than not getting a call was testing,interviewing, and passing but still getting turned down. That really took the wind out of my sail! But you have to keep moving forward and apply for everything. You never know what they are doing, No call doesn't mean anything. Keep your head up and keep applying. It will come. Good luck!!

kf149
06-06-2011, 02:00 PM
You just got to keep your head high and push forward. I have been applying to everything I see on the job boards for the past 2 years and I am still waiting to hear back too. I have my associates in electric utility tech, my Class A CDL, First Aid/CPR and I have not heard back from anyone for quite some time. I am hoping things will change soon. Good luck to everyone who applied and those that are moving forward in the process.

valencia5407
06-07-2011, 12:47 AM
Ya you guys are right, and I already drove myself nuts hahah I just wish they would say yes or no..... It is what it is.

Myles27
06-07-2011, 02:37 PM
So just to clarify, they only give you a call if they want you to move along in the testing process?

miller-mechanical
06-07-2011, 04:45 PM
So just to clarify, they only give you a call if they want you to move along in the testing process?

Not really sure. It may be about timing. I know with edison you have to be one of the first ones applying and meet the minimum requirements or you don't get in. So far I know of four from my class that got tests for pg&e. A couple of my other classmates were turned down because they applied too late. I have some positions that I applied for with pg&e over three months ago and they are still in process but I haven't heard anything. I think your best bet would be to call or email them.

Myles27
06-07-2011, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the info Miller. Should I just call the 800 number?

miller-mechanical
06-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Check some of the pg&e threads here. I seen someone posted a number and email for the contact. I think her name was Danielle. Good luck!

kf149
06-07-2011, 06:32 PM
So has anyone else recieved a call for testing besides miller? I am still waiting and losing hope after reading his last post.

miller-mechanical
06-07-2011, 10:38 PM
Just talked to another buddy from class. He didn't get a phone call. He received an email on monday to test on thursday in santa rosa. I think as far as getting a test, it has tot come down to when you applied. He applied early when they first came out like I did. He doesn't have any experience in the trade or construction. Only his climbing cert. Just wanna keep you guys in the loop. Ill update as I hear....

kf149
06-08-2011, 12:45 AM
Cool. Thank Miller. I applied on the 18th, the day they came out and I applied at all of them too. Maybe its because I am out of AZ. Who knows. Thanks for the update though.

Ibear
06-08-2011, 04:11 AM
just thought Id share my story with all you losing hope that you will never find work in the line trade. I ve been out of school for a year and half and applied for SCE, PG&E, Local 47 conctractors, and tested for DWP. No luck with any of them! I interviewed and passed with edison but no job offers, I have an interview with contractors next week. Now i passed all the tests and interview for PG&E in jan. or feb. and i received the good o'l thank you but F off letter. After giving up on them they actually called me 3 months later and offered me a job and i just got done with backgrounds and start the 20th!! Crazy things happen sometimes, just gotta hang in there and when things dont seem like they are never gonna turn out for the better, BAM!! it hits you, so now i look forward to starting my career, by time.. :)

sarahlee108
06-10-2011, 11:08 AM
Just received this email this morning:

We appreciate your interest in the Pre-Apprentice Lineman, General Construction (IBEW) position in Richmond, CA and are pleased that you regard Pacific Gas and Electric Company as an employer of choice.

Unfortunately, we were not able to include you among the limited number of candidates we are pursuing whose experience and skill sets more closely align with our current staffing needs.

We encourage you to check our site frequently, as our available positions are updated on a regular basis.

Sincerely,

Pacific Gas and Electric Company

I got 5 of them, 3 for this same location(Richmond) and two for the Redding location, kinda strange.... on my PGE account under these positions it says Status: Not Most Competitive - Please review other openings.

For other 15 locations i applied at,their status still says "under review". I called the recruitment center and they said I'd still be considered for other locations, I doubt that. Would be nice to talk with someone who really knows the ins and outs, maybe its time to call the senior recruiters again...

kf149
06-10-2011, 11:26 AM
WTF!!! Why is it that everyone is moving forward or at least getting rejection emails and I am stuck in "Application Received" I havent received anything since the initial emails stating my application was recieved. I have Class A CDL, AAS in electric utility technology, first aid/cpr/aed certification. I am wondering if my applications have been skipped/overlooked or something. Damn.

sarahlee108
06-10-2011, 11:41 AM
When I had first applied in mid January i didn't receive a call to test until late Feb, don't sweat it.

valencia5407
06-10-2011, 01:02 PM

We appreciate your interest in the Pre-Apprentice Lineman, General Construction (IBEW) position in Richmond, CA and are pleased that you regard Pacific Gas and Electric Company as an employer of choice.

Unfortunately, we were not able to include you among the limited number of candidates we are pursuing whose experience and skill sets more closely align with our current staffing needs.

We encourage you to check our site frequently, as our available positions are updated on a regular basis.

Sincerely,

I got 5 of them, 3 for this same location(Richmond) and two for the Redding location, kinda strange.... on my PGE account under these positions it says Status: Not Most Competitive - Please review other openings.

For other 15 locations i applied at,their status still says "under review". I called the recruitment center and they said I'd still be considered for other locations, I doubt that. Would be nice to talk with someone who really knows the ins and outs, maybe its time to call the senior recruiters again...

i got the exact same e-mails for the exact same locations you did and also applied for all 17 lineman jobs, just wondering whats going on if you hear anything new let me know thanks.

bamf123
06-10-2011, 07:04 PM

Sincerely,

I got 6 of those as well. Same crap, I still haven't gotten anything on the other areas but I reapplied to them all like you did.

At this point, if they were to call, I would enjoy more than anything to tell them to take their job offer and shove it up their ass! I wouldn't do something stupid like that but damn, If I was in the position to be able to do that I would definitely voice my opinion on this process.

PGE, Get it together!!!!

bamf123
06-10-2011, 07:10 PM
On the returning candidate page it shows Redding and Richmond as "Not Most Competitive - Please review other openings" despite being flooded with 6 emails.

They all still show up on the "Current" tab. When I click Archived theres nothing displayed.

HardWorker!
06-10-2011, 08:10 PM
Do you guys have a 600hr climbing cert from a lineschool? Thats the only way you're probably will ever be considered for those jobs. I was called & turned them down because I'm working on the outside line construction with local 1245 & I'm a groundman making 29.25 hr & all overtime double. Plus I'll most likely going to start my lineman apprenticeship later on this yr.

J-Dog
06-11-2011, 12:28 AM
I received the "Unfortunately" email twice for Richmond, twice for Redding, and twice for Ukiah. All my other apps show as Under Review, but I'm not holding my breath.

noctis7777
06-12-2011, 01:59 PM
Leaving for Fresno later today, gonna take the PTB IST and WOI tomorrow morning at 8am....

Nyblast
06-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Good Luck!!

mossy
06-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Tested last week in santa rosa. Only 9 guys in the room testing?? I thought that was weird, but i applied for the first set back in december and never heard a damn thing from them and then went ahead and applied again this round and got a call one saturday afternoon:) One thing i know with this trade is you can never give up!

kf149
06-13-2011, 09:42 PM
It seems like pg&e is taking qualified candidates from the older pool and putting them first, then will hopefully get to first time candidates. This is just my observation from looking at things here and talking with a couple of my friends that also applied.

noctis7777
06-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Tested today in Fresno...
About 18 people were there. SUpposedly they are doing the ALP and interviews in late june/early july.

Quick rundown for anyone who hasnt been...

1st test PTB

-divided into 4 parts, the first three are math...basic math...then decimals...then fractions(be sure to review these i think i messed up here)...then its block counting.
They give you minimal time to do the math stuff..around 4 minutes per section and it goes by fast!

2nd test IST

Basically spatial mechanics using pictures..pretty easy
you get over an 30 mins for this part.
Then its reading comprehension...simple
Next up is charts..also simple

3rd test is WOI

basically a personality test/driving habits test.
156 questions....simple

Hope this helps whomever....

rjsindeed
06-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Hey Ibear... My start date is June 20th too.. Same thing happened to me with the callback. Looks like we'll be seein each other the following day, June 21st at NEO. Travel safe and I'll see you there bro!!

sarahlee108
06-16-2011, 11:56 AM
I got 2 more "Your not qualified enough" letters :) for Marysville and Ukaih yesterday. That's 4 locations down and 13 to go...

mossy
06-16-2011, 01:45 PM
Just Got called this morning Looks like Im headed to livermore for the ALP on the 25th........I live in Washington State so I gotta make all this traveling pay off :cool:

miller-mechanical
06-16-2011, 09:19 PM
Nice brother! When did you take the tests? (Ist,woi,ptb) good luck and let us know how you did!:D

mossy
06-17-2011, 01:55 PM
I took the first set of tests last thursday....June 9th

bamf123
06-17-2011, 04:37 PM
Just Got called this morning Looks like Im headed to livermore for the ALP on the 25th........I live in Washington State so I gotta make all this traveling pay off :cool:

Good luck man. I feel for you though. I feel this job is pretty misleading. I was lead to believe I had a good shot at it. Felt the interview went well. Passed the ALP with flying colors. Didnt get the job.

It was such a huge opportunity that I took the ALP day off from work despite my current employer not allowing it. This is a once in a life time opportunity. I had to do it if I wanted to get into the field and take PG&E up on this. Well, I lost the job. Not to my surprise. If I would have known over 4,000 people applied within the first couple days I would have done things a little different. Also, I was never told that I would need to apply to more areas than just my own if I wanted any chance of getting the job.

Now despite completing their process and coming of up short, my new application is being placed somewhere near the bottom of the stack and it doesn't seem I have the edge on anyone the second time around.

So, a thousand dollars short in my bank account and less income than when I applied for the job. Who would have thought that the situation would have done more damage than good?

After you've made it past boot check and weigh-ins you feel really good about what you've accomplished. You feel "this must be meant to be" but dont put your eggs in one basket. I hope things work out for you especially since your traveling much farther than what I did.

Take care, and post your experience if you have time! Also, study "behavioral interviews" and "STAR interviewing" to be more specific. You do that and you should be set.

mossy
06-17-2011, 04:57 PM
I understand the chances of me working for them are very slim, but I will not give up on becoming a lineman.....I have my eggs in many baskets so to speak!! Spending the money sucks but its something I have to deal with in order to become a lineman! I have been to oregon utah california and washington all in the search of trying to be a lineman and i will not give up! Majority of my experience is farm work and construction along with attending Avista line construction school and a bit of working at avista as a temp.....I am sitting twenty something on the list at northwest right now I wish construction would pickup!! Placed 16th out of a thousand applicants at pacific power in oregon.....40th at mtn states in utah! Got a couple tests/interviews coming up at local puds but I do understand the amount of competition for these. I will never give up and will fight my ass off for a position.... I Know I will be a journeyman someday no question about it.

bamf123
06-17-2011, 05:02 PM
I understand the chances of me working for them are very slim, but I will not give up on becoming a lineman.....I have my eggs in many baskets so to speak!! Spending the money sucks but its something I have to deal with in order to become a lineman! I have been to oregon utah california and washington all in the search of trying to be a lineman and i will not give up! Majority of my experience is farm work and construction along with attending Avista line construction school and a bit of working at avista as a temp.....I am sitting twenty something on the list at northwest right now I wish construction would pickup!! Placed 16th out of a thousand applicants at pacific power in oregon.....40th at mtn states in utah! Got a couple tests/interviews coming up at local puds but I do understand the amount of competition for these. I will never give up and will fight my ass off for a position.... I Know I will be a journeyman someday no question about it.

You've got the right attitude. And honestly, more qualifications than me. You will catch a break eventually man. Good luck at the ALP!

I would suggest the Memory test first. And if at all possible, dont practice. Other than that, if you dont drop anything throughout the courses you should be good. Easy stuff!

mossy
06-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks man!! I hope it goes well!! Ive been unemployed for 2 in half months and I cant stand it!! Been signing books like no other! I also have my class A cdl which should help. Good luck to you in the future also

bamf123
06-17-2011, 05:37 PM
Yeah that was one thing I was able to do before going in to the interview. I got my CDL class A Permit. Not the full blown license but I did get the permit. Ive got years of general construction experience under my belt but nothing related to Lineman work.

The interviewers kept saying "Good, Good" to my answers to their questions. They were happy to hear I went out and got my CDL on my own. And when I admitted that I had no experience with line work but have worked with electricity both residential and commercial and that I understood how Ariel and Buried service entries worked they said that they dont expect us to know anything. Just general experience in construction was good enough and that they opened the position with training as part of the process because lineman experience wasnt required and they didnt expect everyone who applied to have that experience.

Everything went well. I was waiting for the call for the job. But when I started seeing the guys on here dropping like flies to the sorry letter thats when I got worried. A couple that graduated lineman school didnt get the job and thats when reality hit me and then a week later I got my sorry letter.

Lame, but its reality. Ive got applications in other places also so we will see.

Let us know how your ALP goes!

Roofus
06-19-2011, 08:22 AM
Just got the "unfortunately" letter from PG&E for one of the positions i applied for. I can only assume that the others are soon to follow. But who knows, maybe dreams can come true. lol. If this doesnt work out i'll just have to keep on working towards a position at another time and with another company. I'm going to get my CDL in the meantime. Hopefully that will give me a leg up on the next go round.

miller-mechanical
06-19-2011, 08:43 AM
Just got the "unfortunately" letter from PG&E for one of the positions i applied for. I can only assume that the others are soon to follow. But who knows, maybe dreams can come true. lol. If this doesnt work out i'll just have to keep on working towards a position at another time and with another company. I'm going to get my CDL in the meantime. Hopefully that will give me a leg up on the next go round.

Same here. I got the letter for the davis area at 4:15am. One down, sixteen to go...:eek:

Roofus
06-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Same here. I got the letter for the davis area at 4:15am. One down, sixteen to go...:eek:

I got my Davis letter at 4:02am. You were considered longer than I was! Congrats on that at least! :P. I only put in 5. I can really relocate too terribly far away. Kids and a mortgage kind of keep me from doin all that. But hopefully things will look up soon.

miller-mechanical
06-19-2011, 09:29 AM
I got my Davis letter at 4:02am. You were considered longer than I was! Congrats on that at least! :P. I only put in 5. I can really relocate too terribly far away. Kids and a mortgage kind of keep me from doin all that. But hopefully things will look up soon.

I feel your pain brother. I'm from so cal and have a family with kids. Been out of work for over a year and lost everything. It will happen. I know its easy to get discouraged. BELIEVE ME! The waiting game is killing me too. Just know that you are not alone. Keep on pushing forward, you will get there!

bamf123
06-19-2011, 01:56 PM
I thought the CDL was going to help me too. Despite the comments made to me at the interview, in the end, I got the same "unfortunately...." letters as everyone else. I thought I had it nailed.

This process is a wash and unless you have work experience in the field and have a certificate from a line school, your probably not getting the job. I really hope nobody is really counting on this to pull through.

bamf123
06-19-2011, 02:06 PM
But I tell you what, either way, i'm happy I got that CDL! Its more than likely going to pay the bills in the near future.

The $300.00 for the CDL was worth it. The other $700.00 I spent on travel costs for this pre-apprentice process wasnt. Especially after losing the job I was working at that time because of it.

Iwannabealineman
06-20-2011, 03:20 AM
It dosnt matter if you have a certificate from a lineschool. i have one and so far im in the same boat as everyone else. Its wierd tho, for the first round of hiring i did the PTB, IST, ALP and the interview and no job. Than for this second round of hiring i got an email scheduling me for the WOI. It said i was on to the next step in the hiring process. How come i didnt have to take the WOI for the first round of hiring? This whole process just seems messed up

miller-mechanical
06-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Hey all, got the call today to take the ALP on saturday in livermore. My two classmates that I tested with haven't received anything. Do they notify you of your test results? Hopefully all goes well. I'll post results when I get back. Good luck to you all and be safe out there.....

sarahlee108
06-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Iwannabealineman,

I spoke with a recruiter about this new test and basically its a new test that they have come up with since the last round of hiring. It seems like its a "make it up as you go" kinda thing and from the PGE lineman I know and their supervisors its pissing them off. Basically the supervisors don't get to make the hiring decisions, even though they will be the ones working with/training these new recruits for the next 4-10 years. I guess its just the usual corporate America kinda stuff, red tape...

Also to give you a heads up, in addition to you having to take this new test and pass it, you will also have to re-interview because your last interview expired (don't know why but that's they way the made it) fyi.

Iwannabealineman
06-20-2011, 11:19 PM
well thats good to know, thank you. Im kinda glad i get to re-interview. I think I maybe screwed up on my last one, said some things i shouldnt have said type of stuff. And yea, i talked to some supervisors and they hate this new hiring alot.

noctis7777
06-21-2011, 03:09 AM
Going to livermore on saturday to take the ALP and interview wish me luck...
also if anyone in SOcal wants to get in on a carpool let me know..just amkes it cheaper for everyone to travel..

mossy
06-21-2011, 07:14 PM
See you guys there on saturday!!

noctis7777
06-21-2011, 09:02 PM
If anyone is down to carpool from socal and split cost of rental car, gas, and hotel let me know...we are planning on renting a cheap car, then leaving friday afternoon, staying at a cheapo hotel in livermore friday evening, then taking the test...let me know

bamf123
06-22-2011, 01:32 AM
Stay at the La Quinta. Its a nice place and pretty cheap. Try to make a reservation before you make it in though. I ended up having to upgrade to the jacuzzi room for an additional 15 bucks because they rented their last standard room right before I got there.

I think it was 89.99 for the room. Was really nice and just down the road from the training center.

golk75
06-26-2011, 04:03 PM
It takes at least two weeks to get test results

miller-mechanical
06-29-2011, 10:44 PM
Hey all,

Got an email today from Danielle. I pasted it into the thread.......

Thank you for your interest in the Pre-Apprentice Lineman positions!

Due to the limited number of candidates that can start in a training class for the program, we have filled the July 25 class; however, we would like to extend you an offer for the August 15 class.

Due to our onboarding process, I will be reaching out to you one month before the scheduled start date. I will reach out to you within the next three weeks [ideally July 15] to discuss next steps and the overall offer. Thank you for your patience in this matter!

If you have an immediate concern, please contact Danielle Baker at d5bs@pge.com. It would be much appreciated if you could limit these to immediate concerns due to the number of candidates being contacted.

Best regards,

Talent Acquisition

Anyone else hear anything? Looks like August for me as long as I pass the post offer test..Good luck to you all!!

mossy
06-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Got the same email as you miller

noctis7777
06-30-2011, 12:04 AM
Hey all,

Got an email today from Danielle. I pasted it into the thread.......

Thank you for your interest in the Pre-Apprentice Lineman positions!

Due to the limited number of candidates that can start in a training class for the program, we have filled the July 25 class; however, we would like to extend you an offer for the August 15 class.

Due to our onboarding process, I will be reaching out to you one month before the scheduled start date. I will reach out to you within the next three weeks [ideally July 15] to discuss next steps and the overall offer. Thank you for your patience in this matter!

If you have an immediate concern, please contact Danielle Baker at d5bs@pge.com. It would be much appreciated if you could limit these to immediate concerns due to the number of candidates being contacted.

Best regards,

Talent Acquisition

Anyone else hear anything? Looks like August for me as long as I pass the post offer test..Good luck to you all!!

congrats bro!

I am in that july 25 class haha
they called me 1 day after the interview, i just finished my drug test and submitted my background info....

Roofus
07-01-2011, 07:52 AM
Congrats!! I got 2 more "unfortunately" letters. :P

miller-mechanical
07-02-2011, 03:25 PM
congrats bro!

I am in that july 25 class haha
they called me 1 day after the interview, i just finished my drug test and submitted my background info....

Nice job brother. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes...

golk75
07-03-2011, 01:15 PM
Congrats and let us know how it goes

Roofus
07-05-2011, 03:43 PM
More pre-app openings on PGE site. Heads up!

noctis7777
07-05-2011, 04:41 PM
Nice job brother. Good luck to you and let us know how it goes...

yea for sure! i have to take a physical exam on the 13th of july next..already did a drug test and background check

alpinestar22
07-11-2011, 03:26 PM
New to this site but was trying to get some information on the post offer physical assesment. I'm taking it on Wednesday and want to know what to expect. And I've heard they are going to be hiring through 2012 so I'd just keep trying.

noctis7777
07-16-2011, 12:25 AM
took my postoffer physical exam this week, I just got an email tonight saying i passed..looks like im definitely working for pg&e on july 25th guys...wish me luck =]

Stay positive and best of luck to all!

230kv_barehand
07-16-2011, 12:38 AM
Best of luck to ya bro! PG&E is a good company, I've known a few from there and all were real good linemen. So the training MUST be good as their knowledge would make me look like a grunt...

Let us know how it goes and stay safe!

mossy
07-16-2011, 02:37 AM
Got the call today.....Looks like Im going to yosemite

Nyblast
07-16-2011, 10:10 AM
Congrats! And good luck! To both of you

alpinestar22
07-16-2011, 02:35 PM
Good job guys! Yea I got the email last night saying I passed. Looks like I'll be seeing you down there on the 25th.