PDA

View Full Version : Volta: How you paid for it?

megan
03-19-2011, 03:17 AM
I know most people are going to say they saved up for it. I have a lineman friend who knows a couple of lineman who received grants. Has anyone heard anything about this? I just dont have 5k saved up ya know. On Tues I start the Oregon Trades Women program. Its a 6wk program for women...here is what it covers for those of who haven't heard of it.

Gain 30 hours of hands-on experience working alongside our skilled female instructors on real jobsites—including the use of power tools!
Learn basic trades math and measurement and explore topics like safety and construction culture in a classroom setting.
Try out the tools of various trades through visits to apprenticeship training centers and real construction sites.
Build muscle with 10 hours of strength training at the gym led by a female fitness trainer....or go to www.tradeswomen.net/pathways.html

I also have signed the books as a groundman with the local 125 and am studying for my cdl permit. I think my next step would be Volta and any information on how to pay for it would be great. Also any ideas on what I can do next would be great.

I have been doing a lot of research and reading on here as to what I need to do. I am going to study how to tie certain knots, brush up on my math skills. I placed in math65 and reading90 when i took the placement test for my local college which was required to take for trades women program. So Im not sure how my score rates for the apprenticeship testing/application.

My goal is to get on with pge after completing Volta. I have a friend who is a lineman for pge for 13yrs (female) who went to Nlc i believe, and is helping me out here and there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Megan

Mr Stubs
03-22-2011, 10:20 PM
If you do go to Volta tell Travis and Don hi.....

I can get you the list of knots and splices that you will need to know and be tested on in Volta if you want.

All of the grants that I seen for me (male) all dried up and where not available anymore.

Volta is a great way to get your CDL nowadays, make sure you have your permit before you go. You dont have to find/rent a truck to get your class A.

Sorry, but I saved up before I went. Also made sure that I had some cushion money for the unemployed time. I was able to get unemployment while at school but it was a huge hassle.

Take out a loan if need be.

Good luck with PGE, you will need it. They like to cherry pick Journeymen from the construction side. Cant say I blame them though, the overall cost to train a ape is through the roof.

megan
03-25-2011, 11:47 PM
Thanks. Ya that would really help out to learn what splices and knots I need to know. My friend said she would help me climb if I got some gaffs. Taking out a loan might be a good idea if I cant save up that much money. My husband works and pays the bills but child care is outrageous since I have 2 small kids. Also might find an evening job I can make some extra cash to help save up w/o having to pay child care in the process. That would defeat having a job since mimimum wadge hardly covers the cost of gas and child care. Thanks for your insight. I read your blog/story Mr Stubs. I know it may take a while to find a job...especially with economy, and that is ok because my kids are still young. Yes I can understand why a company would pick the best. It does take a lot of money to make journeyman status both for the company and person.

rdub
03-27-2011, 12:25 AM
Megan,

Paying for Volta is not easy, but I am convinced it is worth it. When applying for an apprenticeship, graduation from a line school gives you an edge the average Burger King worker doesn't have.

I went to Volta and had a great time. Maybe the most valuable school dollar for dollar I've ever had. You will make connections and friendships that will last-- long after the last day of school.

A few of my classmates got their tuition paid by worker retraining dollars through the State of Oregon. Not sure exactly how it was done, maybe through unemployment insurance or worker retraining funding. I guarantee it will take a hundred or more phone calls to the state programs, but would definitely be worth while. I live in Washington State and was able to get my CDL school paid for by worker retraining dollars (would have cost me more than $4000 if I had to pay out of pocket). Check out the women in trades connections too, DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK THEM DIRECTLY. You might be surprised by their answer. I think it can be an advantage to you that you are a female.

If you can't get it paid for by someone else, consider taking out a loan. If you want this badly enough, make it work out however you need to. Don't forget too about the expenses beyond tuition i.e.. tools, housing, food, travel.

If you follow the news reports and talk around utilities and NW Line JATC, a large percentage of lineman are getting ready to retire. We will be needed by the industry to be trained by them before they exit the workforce.

I hope you will expand your sights beyond PGE, you and everyone else in the willamette valley wants to work there too. From what I have seen, they indenture from within whenever possible. You'll learn about all that stuff too in Volta. When you get there, say hi to Don and Travis for me too.

Hang in there, hard work is rewarded.

Ryan.

megan
04-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Thanks. Yes I have talked to Oregon Tradeswomen but they dont know of any scholarships right now. My career counselor referred me to the work source but they referred me to my local community colleges financial aid office. Lots of chasing but for sure worth it. I have family in Tillamook so I could travel the hr and a half to avoid having to pay for housing, but might not be worth it with the increase in gas prices these days. I'm driving to Portland and back which takes about 2hrs and 100 miles and it costs about $20 a day with the 4 banger i drive. That is only for 3 days a week and its exhausting. So to save on time, energy and money it might actually be worth staying there so I would have more time to study as well.

I'm willing to work for different companies that is for sure. Especially after the ordeal my friend went threw with pge. Kinda makes you second guess that lol. I will take any job offer at this point as will most people im sure.

I am about to finish my 3rd week with Oregon Tradeswomen. Its fun but also boring. I know how to use almost all the power tools that I have to watch a 10min explanation on how to use and the safety features. Yes some tools very in how they are used but most often than not its all the same $h!t ya know. I think what I am going to get out of this is the expereince and physical strength. I talked to one of the union instructers for roofers and waterproofers and they said being a graduate from Oregon Tradeswomen scores 20 pts with them for interview for the apprentice. No i am not going to be a roofer! Its good to know that hey, this program is actually worth something...even if it may be 10pts.

On Tuesdays we are brushing up on math fractions, measurements, trades resume, and sometimes will have a guest speaker. Wednesdays is when we go to job sites and build stuff. First week installed joistes with hangers, second week made a desk (not really detailed lol) Third week built a gate and fence between). In the morning we work out. Curl our tool bags, 50 jumping jacks, run around the block, plank (holding a push up) and a few other warm ups. Thursday we go on field trips to varius union halls, colleges, etc.

I got to meet Jenna Smith yesterday. She took the long route and became tree trimmer then applied for lineman apprenticeship. She ranked 6th when she interviewed! It took a while but she suggested if you have the money go to Volta. She did tree trimming because she needed money now since she's a single mom. Thats a very good idea and I have heard several of you taking that route. Since i'm not in desperate need of income i wouldn't need to do tree triming side of things. So Volta is the way to go for me. I dont know if any of you have heard about Jenna but there are some videos of her expereince on youtube tradeswomes. She is the second female to be a journeyman lineman in Oregon. Talk about a difficult state to get your card in. She said Seattle City Light or CTL has 11 female lineman or something like that.

Well im going to sign off. I appreciate all the advice. I will keep my mind and options open to anything. Oh today on Lunch break when going to 7 eleven there were 2 pge trucks working on the lines across the street! Talk about awesome! I was up close and noticed they were changing out the a arm i believe. I would have stayed there all day if i didn't have to go back to work! Hopefully one of these days I can shadow or follow from a distance a linemand to get an idea of what a days work is like. Notice I didn't say typical since it is different every day :) Have a good one all and be safe!

Megan

Highplains Drifter
04-07-2011, 07:46 AM
I think you nave a good plan, Good Luck!:)

megan
05-06-2011, 02:51 AM
Next week I am graduating from Oregon Trades Women. I have perfect attendance so that will be on my graduation certificate. I am so happy to accomplish this. With 2 hour drive every day with Portland rush hour traffic I was able to make it on time for the entire 7 weeks. Just planning ahead. I feel confident that I am ready for a job that is for sure.

My experience with the program - I found some of the job site days to be boring because I have remodeld my house so a lot of the tools I have used before. They would take 5 to 1o minutes explaning what a chop saw does and how to run it and answer questions about it. Very helpful for those who haven't used one before but kinda slow for me. I just stood there and listend and payed attention. I didn't want to come across rude or be smart. Whats even funny is that at the end of it all one of the girls thought it was a skill saw. You have been using the dang thing for 5 weeks now and you dont even know what its called! So for that reason it was boring for me but I enjoyed brushing up on my math skills. Tape measurements to the 16th's weren't difficult either and then we had to add subtract multiple and divide fractions whole numbers etc. For the final math test i got a 98%. Not to bad. I think there could have been more math than learning tape measurements and fractions. The program seemed to have a lot of work in carepentry but who can blame them when it cost to much to do other types of work and licensed professionals at that. I wouldn't trust half my classmates with other types of work anyways with out extensive training. I'm not sayin im perfect by no means or that I know it all its just there are some people out there with a lose wire or something. Bless there hearts for trying.

I talked to Don Rose 2 weeks ago at the local 48, he came out there to talk to us when we took a tour there. I've met him before when I went and signed the books at the hall. He said that there are over 250 people on the list for line apprenticeship and a lot of them have gone to Volta. They maybe call out someone once every couple of months.
On the tree trimming side of things there are 6 people on apprenticeship list and they call out once everyday or something. So i dont know if the numbers are exagerated but it for sure sounds like the way to go right now since I dont just have 5k sitting in the bank. He also said Volta cost 3k. Hmmm, last i knew it was 4k and 1k for equipment. Anyways besides that I think that might be the way to go. There is a gal who has decided that is what she wants to do and is going the tree trimming route. I dont think its a bad idea either. I think I am going to sign the books next week for the tree trimming helper and really find out the numbers on the list for the apprentices on both sides of things. I am also worried about jumping ship I guess you could call it. Obviously I would finish my apprenticeship with tree trimming before i applied for lineman side of things but is that looked down upon or does that happen frequently? Well i'm off of here. This is the latest I have stayed up for a while. I really like the early scheduale and have gotten used to it. Have a good one.

Mr Stubs
05-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Don Rose is a construction rep for the IBEW..... you can also find him at the local 125

Did you take the aptitude test and interview for the line side at the JATC?

Not sure how many apes they are putting on on the tree side per day but they update there ape list at the beginning of each month. Depending on how many points you have will depend on your ranking on the list.

I went straight to the tree side for a few reasons..... a paycheck, to be a local 125 member, retirement, and benefits. I wanted these things to start now and not latter.

megan
05-12-2011, 01:13 AM
I signed book 4. So I call in every 30 days to update. Not sure about points? Yes I agree job retirement and all that is something worth going after even if it may not be exactly what you want out of life but working toward that. I am young yet so I don't mind doing that way of things.

My graduation was tonight. I talked to a genetleman about a job opening with pge as a temporary utility worker (flagger). Its a job and a foot in the door with pge. Since I was the only one in my class wanting to be a lineman I came up to talk to him about the job opening. He said so you want to be a lineman. He remembered me and what I wanted to do. Not to difficult I guess since I was only one wanting to be a lineman lol. I talked to him a little bit and asked some questions and wrote down my name on a paper. This is so Kathrine in the office would recognize my application when I send it online. A few other girls came up and talked to him about the job opening. Seems they just want any job right now since they are going into different trades(I dont blame them) He later came up to me and asked me what day was coming to the carrer fair this weekend. Its a career trades fair thurs-sat. I wanted to go but that sealed the deal that I should go. I am so excited to be able to have this opportunity to get a job even if its temporary and not for sure yet. Anything toward my goal! I'll send my app over in the morning since 10p.m. doesn't look to good when applying for a day job. So I'll keep posting on here keeping my road to becoming a lineman updated :)

megan
07-01-2011, 01:17 AM
I received a call on Monday from OTI that there was a scholarship available for Volta offered just for graduates from OTI and I told her that I would be available for it. Well long story short there were 3 other girls as well that were wanting it but Judy told me that I came highly recommend by the staff and counselors and that they were pushing for me to get it!! So today I filled out the application and have been studying for my CDL permit. The lady that I have been working with named Judy said that Bill, the Director of Volta wants to meet me on Tuesday so I will be hand turning in my application. I am so excited! I was upset that I ddnt get a call for the flagger job that I applied for with PGE but now I know why. Good things come to those who wait and it was for sure worth the wait. I cant say that I am accepted in yet but I will post when I am. Oh ya I would be starting on July 11th!! I'm not sure if the scholarship covers equipment or not but at least I already have a belt.

Megan

shocksystems
07-01-2011, 09:08 AM
Congratulations Megan. Good luck!

golk75
07-01-2011, 11:53 AM
There are many grants available to go back to school or learn a trade, just look around

megan
07-01-2011, 03:01 PM
Thanks. Ya there are a lot of grants out there. I could never find any for Volta so im very grateful that OTI found one for me :) I'm learning some knots right now then I will brush up on my math later today. This is going to be a fun 4th of July weekend lol :p

golk75
07-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Sure will, Good luck and freshen up all that rusty Math.

megan
07-05-2011, 08:58 PM
Went to the nw line jatc today and turned in my application and met Bill Stone. I start on Monday. Now I just have to get the equipment in time. *Crosses fingers* I also need to get my stinking CDL permit. Im gonna have to pay the 100 bucks to get a dang physical to be able to get it. Ridiculous but whatever hoops I have to jump threw ill do it. I'll try to post on here once a week or so on how things are going. Have fun out there :)

rdub
07-05-2011, 09:50 PM
See? Hard work does pay off. :) You are building a reputation already and that will pay off in time. This is a tightly knit trade and people do talk to each other, so your reputation often precedes you.

When is comes to tools required for Volta, use stuff you already have whenever possible. I bought all the climbing tools from Farwest ( www.fwlsp.com ) and will shop with them again. They will UPS directly to Volta, and they will give a line school discount - be sure to ask for it.

IF you are going to buy boots, I will give you my $.02. Go to REI and buy a pair of La Sportiva Karakorum ( http://www.rei.com/product/790961/la-sportiva-karakorum-mountaineering-boots-womens ) They come in Women's sizes and will work great for Volta. You will own multiple pairs of climbing boots, so when your employer or apprenticeship program says you need something different, you will buy them when needed.

I have a pair of Karakorum's and love them, plenty of linemen on the dock wear them (including one female Lineman). When I got hired, I was told to show up to climbing school with 16" tall full steel shank boot, so that's what I did. When in Rome is a phrase I hear almost every day at work. Roll with it.

Ryan.

megan
07-10-2011, 05:58 PM
Thanks, Ill have to try those out. I just bought some 10" danners. I got my equipment from highline aka Wagner supply. They were really helpful and actually beat a lot of farwests prices. Ya I called farwest and they can ship to Oregon in 2 days and will also ship to the school. So if I need anything else I can order with them. I also think that highline does the same thing. But anyways i was able to get all my gear and toold for under 1k. Good thing I already had a belt other wise I would have been well over budget. I've always had good luck with Danners and my friend Laura swears by them than her custom made Wesco's. My boots are the smallest size i could find in the mens which is 7 and that is a half a size to big so I might just have to order some different boots in my size if I have to. We'll see come tomorrow how they do. Thanks again! Any advice is appreciated!

Megan

megan
07-15-2011, 02:03 AM
First week of Volta went by soo fast!! I had fun but most importantly learned a lot. Felt pretty confident about the weeks end quiz today. We'll see. They had us touch our noses to both sides of the cross arm. That was different :)

Highplains Drifter
07-15-2011, 02:12 AM
Megan, I hope you keep updating your new adventure for us. I really wish they had a blog section for folks like you that keep updating things back to us. Good luck!

megan
07-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Ya I will try and post on here once a week at least. That would be nice to have a blog of some sort so others can get an idea of what it is like to become a lineman or all the hoops that a person has to go through. I'm ready for next week. Tired of this sitting around. But that will give me some time to break in my skid. Its so stiff that I have a heck of time trying to adjust it on the pole. I have a bruise on my arm from holding around the pole by the cross arm braces. Gotta love brand new gear lol.

rdub
07-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Megan,

While you're at volta, climb every day. Lunch break on your classroom days is a great time to tool up and climb.

Have fun!

megan
07-15-2011, 08:57 PM
Ya Don and Travis said I can climb whenever as long as I have a climbing budy and they are there and know about it. But they said that we would get a lot of climbing in anyways. I brought my gear home so i can go up in the woods and practice some stuff but not get that high up of course.

megan
08-12-2011, 02:28 AM
Just finished up 4th week of class. Pole change outs cranes and signals. Fun fun!