PDA

View Full Version : Troubleman's pay more than a lineman?

hotwiretamer
04-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Our company is real close to creating a Troubleman's position and rumor has it that it will probably be 104% of lineman scale. Up untill this point we have had a "service truck" that the lineman would rotate on every two months or so. (some districts leave the servicemen on forever.) The servicemen handle small jobs like services, D to D lights, meets with electricians, etc. They also are called when there is a trouble call that comes in during business hours. (After hours we have a lineman on call). When they create the troubleman's position the person awarded the job will be doing the exact same thing. Why does he deserve more pay? Troublework is a lot easier than line work, and you rarely work hot primary. The district that keeps the service truck running with the same guy all the time is because he doesn't really work well with others and the forman would rather not have to deal with him on there crew anyway. So, the way I see it, they're giving the most worthless lineman a pay raise. The only change will be his start time. Rumor also has it that he will start at 9:00 and get off at 8:00 with an hour lunch. 4 tens, M thru Thurs. The other troubleman will work same hours Tues. thru Fri.

Pootnaigle
04-29-2011, 09:43 PM
There is more than a few variables in that equation. First off Remember that serviceman will be working alone most of the time and that kinda sucks both from a safety standpoint and a work load aspect. If the workload aint too bad and all he does is secondary work he can still get hung out to dry if sumpin goes amiss. Next is the amount of knowledge needed to actually be a decent troubleman. When one of em calls in a bad pot or wire down he should also be prepared to answer bout a million question from the super like what could we get by with or how can we acess it and how many folks need to be sent out to accomplish the job.Couple that with bad weather on a routine work day and while most of the linemen are sittin on their ass That service guy is gonna be bowed up.Not all customers are dumb and some of em can ask some pretty complex questions, Better be prepared to answer em. Some can be downright nasty when faced with being cut off. At most utilities a troublemans position usta be a preferred job......... But thats long since passed and now they cant hardly give a troublemans job away.From my perspective a good troubleman hasta be every bit as sharp as the linemen , and there is no one to spell him off when fatigue sets in, Unlike a linecrew. So 104 percent dont sound like much for the trade off to me.Been there done that and have the tee shirt.Trust me a linemans job is better and less stressful.

hotwiretamer
04-29-2011, 10:06 PM
There is more than a few variables in that equation. First off Remember that serviceman will be working alone most of the time and that kinda sucks both from a safety standpoint and a work load aspect. If the workload aint too bad and all he does is secondary work he can still get hung out to dry if sumpin goes amiss. Next is the amount of knowledge needed to actually be a decent troubleman. When one of em calls in a bad pot or wire down he should also be prepared to answer bout a million question from the super like what could we get by with or how can we acess it and how many folks need to be sent out to accomplish the job.Couple that with bad weather on a routine work day and while most of the linemen are sittin on their ass That service guy is gonna be bowed up.Not all customers are dumb and some of em can ask some pretty complex questions, Better be prepared to answer em. Some can be downright nasty when faced with being cut off. At most utilities a troublemans position usta be a preferred job......... But thats long since passed and now they cant hardly give a troublemans job away.From my perspective a good troubleman hasta be every bit as sharp as the linemen , and there is no one to spell him off when fatigue sets in, Unlike a linecrew. So 104 percent dont sound like much for the trade off to me.Been there done that and have the tee shirt.Trust me a linemans job is better and less stressful.

As far as our servicemen go, (they don't have that Troubleman title yet) when they get an actuall trouble call they go and check it. If it's just a line fuse, or a bad neutral or hot leg, they handle it. Almost anything else they call a line crew for assistance. As far as storm work and talking with customers all of us take call on a rotation, and make decisions like access, manpower, equipment, etc. Like I said, I'm not sure what would be more difficult for a troubleman than a lineman does day to day. NO disrespect, just my observation in my little world.
I know back in the day they would give a seasoned lineman a little bucket or pick up and give him easy street until he retired due to respect for the time with the company/work that he had put in. It erks me to see a guy that goes through an apprenticeship, puts in a year maybe with a linecrew and spends the rest of his career doing electrician type work for better pay. Again, this is just my observation at my place of work. I'm sure it's alot different at most utilities.

Trojan
04-29-2011, 11:17 PM
Our Troubleshooters make 105% of Lineman's wage. He needs to know how to build it before he can shoot trouble on it,

loodvig
04-30-2011, 06:22 AM
Poot just about said what I was gonna say word for word. But when I took the T-job in 86 it was a buck above crew leader. After a few years crew leaders caught up! Anyway when someone suggested the T-job was a tit I would tell em to "bid it then".

Lineman8641
04-30-2011, 04:37 PM
At my company the Troubleman used to be the same pay as a Lead Lineman. Then we got "benchmarked" and out pay was put below the Lead Lineman. They said it was because we worked alone and we didn't have other people to look after. When I first started Troublemen were like Gods. It rarely got below the most senior Lineman when an opening came up. I don't know how it is in other utilities, but all that has changed. No one wants a Troubleman's job now. In addition to the pay, it's weekend work, night work, when it's raining and the crews are inside, you're out working. But it's quite a bit of responsibility and it's just not a job that everyone is cut out for. Just my 2 cents.

loodvig
04-30-2011, 05:41 PM
At my company the Troubleman used to be the same pay as a Lead Lineman. Then we got "benchmarked" and out pay was put below the Lead Lineman. They said it was because we worked alone and we didn't have other people to look after. When I first started Troublemen were like Gods. It rarely got below the most senior Lineman when an opening came up. I don't know how it is in other utilities, but all that has changed. No one wants a Troubleman's job now. In addition to the pay, it's weekend work, night work, when it's raining and the crews are inside, you're out working. But it's quite a bit of responsibility and it's just not a job that everyone is cut out for. Just my 2 cents.
Just before I retired they were forcing people to fill trouble shifts! And when you force it's done from the bottom of the list so it's all junior people.

Fiberglass Cowboy
05-01-2011, 08:55 PM
Welcome to the 21st century. Do you work for a little R.E.C./R.E.A. ? The big electric companies (Utilities) have had troublemen for years and years. And they have always made more $$$. At the big companies, most of them are paid a straight 8. No break for meals or anything. Also they have to pull shift work on a normal basis or as part of their normal shift. 24 hour coverage. Round the clock trouble truck shifts. Most have to work much more overtime than us; whether they want to or not. If you don't like the idea of making less money as a crew lineman, then bid a trouble truck. Personally, I'm fine working on the crews. :cool:

hotwiretamer
05-02-2011, 08:57 PM
Welcome to the 21st century. Do you work for a little R.E.C./R.E.A. ? The big electric companies (Utilities) have had troublemen for years and years. And they have always made more $$$. At the big companies, most of them are paid a straight 8. No break for meals or anything. Also they have to pull shift work on a normal basis or as part of their normal shift. 24 hour coverage. Round the clock trouble truck shifts. Most have to work much more overtime than us; whether they want to or not. If you don't like the idea of making less money as a crew lineman, then bid a trouble truck. Personally, I'm fine working on the crews. :cool:

No Cowboy, I don't work for a little R.E.C./R.E.A., I work for an I.O.U. As I said, we already have "Service Trucks" that handle the day to day calls, and they rotate linemen in some districts, and leave the same guy on in other districts. They are Journeyman lineman. Same pay as linecrews. There job duties will not change, just the pay scale. As far as the 24 hr. coverage goes we rotate being "on Call" and that's 24/7 for a week at a time. The "Troublemen" that they promote will more than likely be the guy that never answers the phone after his shift when the On Call Lineman needs a hand.
I don't want to bid the troublemen's position, because that would be a pay cut. I'm a foreman, just looking out for the Journeyman on the line crews.

Lineman North Florida
05-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Where I am at it used to be the older guys in the troublemen jobs and they made the same thing as a line crew foreman, nowadays those guys have all long since retired and today the pay is the same as any other lineman on the linecrew and the only ones who bid the jobs are the ones who can't cut it on the linecrews, put them in their gloves all day re-conductoring or in their tools on rear lot jobs and they will be in the office letting the GF know what an asset they would be on the trouble truck, it is what it is.

Boomer gone soft
05-03-2011, 12:11 AM
Where I am at it used to be the older guys in the troublemen jobs and they made the same thing as a line crew foreman, nowadays those guys have all long since retired and today the pay is the same as any other lineman on the linecrew and the only ones who bid the jobs are the ones who can't cut it on the linecrews, put them in their gloves all day re-conductoring or in their tools on rear lot jobs and they will be in the office letting the GF know what an asset they would be on the trouble truck, it is what it is.

Another one of those perks in a right to work state.....

loodvig
05-03-2011, 05:57 AM

So....................what your saying is...............................most T-men couldn't suk it day in and day out in the tools?
Bull Sh!t !

Lineman North Florida
05-03-2011, 07:00 AM
So....................what your saying is...............................most T-men couldn't suk it day in and day out in the tools?
Bull Sh!t !Nope not what I was saying at all, I'm sure a lot of places still promote their older lineman into these slots and I am sure most of them are jam up hands, what I said was where I work all those guys are gone and the majority of the people who put in for the trouble truck are the people who can't make it on the crew, ie the last one to get his tools out or the one who always has something else to do when there is a bad pole to change and the list goes on and on, and that is no bullsh#t (QUOTE) I am sure it is not the same everywhere you go.

loodvig
05-03-2011, 07:45 AM
Nope not what I was saying at all, I'm sure a lot of places still promote their older lineman into these slots and I am sure most of them are jam up hands, what I said was where I work all those guys are gone and the majority of the people who put in for the trouble truck are the people who can't make it on the crew, ie the last one to get his tools out or the one who always has something else to do when there is a bad pole to change and the list goes on and on, and that is no bullsh#t (QUOTE) I am sure it is not the same everywhere you go.

Yeah OK I see what your sayin. I think it was like that years ago at my place too but with all the new duties of a T-man now the duds don't bid it anymore!

wtdoor67
05-03-2011, 12:41 PM
Why so many of them wear a rainbow sticker on their hat? What's that mean?

Boomer gone soft
05-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Why so many of them wear a rainbow sticker on their hat? What's that mean?

Must be because us, (and the rats of course), are the only ones working out in the rain to see the rainbows!:D

heelwinch
05-03-2011, 03:50 PM
There must be something to it... I mean even Boom Boom has said himself he's gone soft>>>???

Maybe it's his 12 pack cushion??

rcdallas
05-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Troubleman $34.47
Journeyman $32.64
Serviceman $32.64

Troublemen work rotating 8 hour shifts, Journeymen work 8 hour set schedule shift.

Servicemen anymore only exist in non-metro, they work both trouble and service work.

I think the trouble guys got it made depending on if you like shift work...from what I understand they rarely get any callout pay.

wtdoor67
05-03-2011, 06:56 PM
Most of them I knew were a bunch of girly boys.

hotwiretamer
05-03-2011, 11:15 PM
Troubleman $34.47
Journeyman $32.64
Serviceman $32.64

Troublemen work rotating 8 hour shifts, Journeymen work 8 hour set schedule shift.

Servicemen anymore only exist in non-metro, they work both trouble and service work.

I think the trouble guys got it made depending on if you like shift work...from what I understand they rarely get any callout pay.

This is what I am trying to say! We are non-metro, we already have a service truck, there won't be rotating shifts for the troublemen position, they won't be asigned anything that isn't already covered by the existing serviceman position, but they are going to pay them more? And, sorry but I'll bet the ones that get the jobs will be the worthless linehands that don't get along with the crews. Squeeky wheel gets the grease?

jwebsta32
05-04-2011, 07:35 AM
Very small municipal utility in Maine. We have 5 lineman, two of which are the engineer and the GF. We have a rotating call schedule. You get 8 extra hours of straight pay for being on call and the same hourly rate you make every day. But during the day the line crew deals with all problems, the on call guy takes over at 330 and weekends.

Trojan
05-09-2011, 12:49 AM
Sounds like a good deal. How long is the "on call" period?

jwebsta32
05-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Sounds like a good deal. How long is the "on call" period?

Friday at 3:30 PM to the following friday at 7am. If your on call for a holiday you get a comp day in return.

loodvig
05-09-2011, 04:13 PM
Friday at 3:30 PM to the following friday at 7am. If your on call for a holiday you get a comp day in return.

Can I ask what part of Maine this is? If you don't want to post it that's OK too.

Trojan
05-09-2011, 07:32 PM

Do you get a comp day for being on call or if you answer a call and work?

jwebsta32
05-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Can I ask what part of Maine this is? If you don't want to post it that's OK too.

Kennebunk Light and Power, Kennebunk Maine.

Do you get a comp day for being on call or if you answer a call and work?

You get a comp day for being on call during a holiday. Example. If you are on call during the week of Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is a Thursday and a paid holiday. You are expected to be at home because you are on call. You get paid for the holiday and any calls you get(over time) for the day. You also get a floating holiday(comp day) to use at your leisure throughout the year for being on call on the holiday.

Trojan
05-09-2011, 11:39 PM
Thanks for the info.

loodvig
05-10-2011, 07:15 AM
[QUOTE=jwebsta32;101395]Kennebunk Light and Power, Kennebunk Maine.

Oh OK I just didn't know about Muni's in Maine!

hotwiretamer
05-10-2011, 11:49 PM
My thread has been Jacked!!

Boomer gone soft
05-10-2011, 11:52 PM
My thread has been Jacked!!

Welcome to Powerlineman.com......:rolleyes:

Every thread will eventually devolve into dems/repubs......you're a bigger dumbass.....or I'm going to kill/harm you/your family.:rolleyes:

hotwiretamer
05-10-2011, 11:58 PM
Oh, yeah, what was I thinking. Thanks for turning the light bulb on for me Boomber!

jwebsta32
05-11-2011, 06:57 AM
[QUOTE=jwebsta32;101395]Kennebunk Light and Power, Kennebunk Maine.

Oh OK I just didn't know about Muni's in Maine!

There are Three Muni's in Maine I believe. Kennebunk Light and Power, Madison Electric, and Houlton Water Co. Bangor Hydro is an IOU I believe and Northern maine is a co-op. Aside from that its Central Maine Power all over.

Jeatroubleshooter
06-08-2011, 03:06 PM
first of all, this entire thread should be somewhere besides in the troubleman's forum....

the Idea is that the Troubleshooter's are suppose to know and understand the system in away that helps them figure out the problem, and to restore power as soon as possible, ...make an intelligent, quick decision on wether he can safely make the fixes necessary to get this done and restore power, or needs a crew do it. Troubleshooter's are useally first on the scene to make decision's pertaining to rules and regulations, to insure that emergency first responder's are able to enter emergency area's and is responsible to make sure that the power is de-energized and safe for them and the public.....We are the faces of the company, and the responsiblity is great. I work alone, I came from the Line department where we changed out every type of pole, in any kind of weather....and I will always call myself a lineman, (when my primary responsibility was my safety and the safety of my pole buddy)....and a troubleman, (where everyone's safety in catastrophic situations is my responsibility) .....and am proud of both...but to compare wether a troubleman deserves his pay, is like asking if a foreman deserves his? or a coordinator...cause they are paid for there knowledge

Pootnaigle
06-08-2011, 03:15 PM
Ummmmmmm I wouldnt argue with your assesment.I bleve the line guys get a tad jealous when they see ya doin sumpin simple n easy but kinda ferget the responsibilitys heaped on ya. A real troubleshooter will have spent his time on a linecrew.

CPOPE
06-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Welcome to Powerlineman.com......:rolleyes:
Every thread will eventually devolve into dems/repubs......you're a bigger dumbass.....or I'm going to kill/harm you/your family.:rolleyes:

Now that is F-ing Funny, Just like every line-barn I've ever been in. Everything is an argument and if you show any weakness somebody is going to poke a stick in your side.

Had a guy tell another guy "You can't be Irish your mother must have been a whore or your adopted" Just did it to watch him pop his cork and start swinging. If I know somebody on the work platform I can piss off through discussion on religion, nationality, race or politics it's going to a street fight. You throw a punch, i PULL A KNIFE, YOU PULL A KNIFE AND I'm PULLING A GUN.

WHY CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG......Cause that wouldn't be fun....

That all said trouble workers deserve more money, They require additional training over and above a typical crew worker, They are at higher risk hazard pay and work a rotating shift. When a junior inexperienced worker is forced by the roster to work as a trouble shooter bad things happen. Some guy's just cant work alone troubleshooting because of ther personality and some guy's like being a crew-leader/ It's the lazy ones that never progress above 3rd class or second class that I don't like.

1st class lineman or crew leader status through voluntary progression should be a mandate to begin qualifying as a trouble shooter.

Just my opinions, for what it's worth....Play nice girls.....

Froths
06-08-2011, 11:49 PM
At my utility here in Cali our troublemen make close to 300K yrly with all the Doubletime they get. All overtime is doubletime & at 65 an hr straight pay thats 130hr.

hotwiretamer
07-03-2011, 12:43 AM
Now that is F-ing Funny, Just like every line-barn I've ever been in. Everything is an argument and if you show any weakness somebody is going to poke a stick in your side.

Had a guy tell another guy "You can't be Irish your mother must have been a whore or your adopted" Just did it to watch him pop his cork and start swinging. If I know somebody on the work platform I can piss off through discussion on religion, nationality, race or politics it's going to a street fight. You throw a punch, i PULL A KNIFE, YOU PULL A KNIFE AND I'm PULLING A GUN.

WHY CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG......Cause that wouldn't be fun....

That all said trouble workers deserve more money, They require additional training over and above a typical crew worker, They are at higher risk hazard pay and work a rotating shift. When a junior inexperienced worker is forced by the roster to work as a trouble shooter bad things happen. Some guy's just cant work alone troubleshooting because of ther personality and some guy's like being a crew-leader/ It's the lazy ones that never progress above 3rd class or second class that I don't like.

1st class lineman or crew leader status through voluntary progression should be a mandate to begin qualifying as a trouble shooter.

Just my opinions, for what it's worth....Play nice girls.....

Not where I work!!

wjmushock
07-04-2011, 12:29 AM
where do you work in cali in Pa for the utility I work for it is 3 dollars and shift diff above a JL around 41.07 an hour. I am looking to move does anyone work in oregon or washington even cali

Fudd29
07-26-2011, 06:15 AM
Our company is real close to creating a Troubleman's position and rumor has it that it will probably be 104% of lineman scale. Up untill this point we have had a "service truck" that the lineman would rotate on every two months or so. (some districts leave the servicemen on forever.) The servicemen handle small jobs like services, D to D lights, meets with electricians, etc. They also are called when there is a trouble call that comes in during business hours. (After hours we have a lineman on call). When they create the troubleman's position the person awarded the job will be doing the exact same thing. Why does he deserve more pay? Troublework is a lot easier than line work, and you rarely work hot primary. The district that keeps the service truck running with the same guy all the time is because he doesn't really work well with others and the forman would rather not have to deal with him on there crew anyway. So, the way I see it, they're giving the most worthless lineman a pay raise. The only change will be his start time. Rumor also has it that he will start at 9:00 and get off at 8:00 with an hour lunch. 4 tens, M thru Thurs. The other troubleman will work same hours Tues. thru Fri.

I am a troubleman and believe me, I wish I could go back to being a lineman. We work rotating swing shifts, work alone constantly, do all the switching for the crews who won't work anything hot anymore. I do agree that a troubleman deserves more pay. Even when I was a lineman, I was sometimes upgraded to T-man for a day at a time or even up to a couple of weeks. You run your ass off.

T-Man
07-26-2011, 09:22 AM
It's typical for a Lineman to think a Troubleshooter has it easy, because the lineman is working every day and on the nice days when the system is running well and all the switching is handled the TS looks like he hasn't got anything to do which isn't the case. I was training Troubleshooters at my company before I retired and our guys get a very broad training on a wide variety of equipment and problems.
We trainied on customer problems residential, and general secondary, We tained on Substations starting on one tr one buss stations all the way up to Transmission substations and all the relays and equipment in them. We trained on all manner of switch gear which includes the gear in the local hospitals and major sports facilities and the airport. We trained on the metropolitan underground system including manhole and network vault switching, Our guys got first rsponder taining and they brought their linework abilities to work all manner of storm work. They also had responsibility for streetlight repair which included area lighting for customers.Some are trained to specialize above and beyond the regular work like using thermal imaging or troubleshooting wind fields or photovoltaic displays and biogeneration They are indespensible in my opinion and this was the greatest job I ever had myself, So unless your company has real troubleshooters like I discribed you couldn't even get a handle on what they are worth. :cool:

230kv_barehand
07-26-2011, 04:24 PM
I believe the troublemen should make more as well. Most people dont understand the hours they put in. Working alone even in the worst neighborhoods. Maxing out on hours and having to take 8 and sometimes going past that. It takes a rare breed to do it 24/7 like they do, and most really bust their ass. Most linemen gripe on call but imagine doing it EVERY week instead of one weekend a month.

midwesttroubleman
08-17-2011, 11:24 AM
I believe there are different levels of trouble man in the industry, in my case we start out going through 2 years of additional training to get a trouble job. We also work rotating shifts and have 24hr on duty coverage 365 days a year. We do all the company owned and customer owned substation switching when it is needed. We do all the switching for ATC, "American Transmission Company" as well. We have a large network system that we also do all the switching for. We also have to do our regular work, light out calls, light flickers,station inspections,feeder patrols,and wire down calls or hazards that come in all day long.We dont have the option to sit in the garage when it rains like the line crews do! We are one man crews that climb alone and sometimes make million dollar decissions at the drop of a hat, and if the wrong decission is made were held responsible and are most likely going to get written up or get days off.I was a lineman and lead lineman, that was a lot less stressful than being a TS but i would never go back! Everyday line work became boring to me!! there is never a dull moment in the trouble dept!! this is why we make more money!!!!

Highplains Drifter
09-01-2011, 12:57 AM
We are one man crews that climb alone and sometimes make million dollar decissions at the drop of a hat, and if the wrong decission is made were held responsible

We would love to hear about all of the million dollar decisions you have made, mighty one!

midwesttroubleman
09-01-2011, 11:34 AM
HP, It's easy to sit back on you little computer and judge someone when you have never walked in there shoes.If I would not have shared my political views in the EAYOR you would not have made those comments.. :rolleyes:

topgroove
09-01-2011, 12:56 PM
No really, Lets here some... You see some of us are starting to wonder if you are who you say you are?

Highplains Drifter
09-01-2011, 09:58 PM
TG, you'd think another real T Man would be right in here to compare notes..:rolleyes:

topgroove
09-01-2011, 10:17 PM
TG, you'd think another real T Man would be right in here to compare notes..:rolleyes:

I hear ya HD, I was kinda hoping to compare work practices:(

topgroove
09-03-2011, 01:33 AM
Swamp, just cause someone says he;s this or that online dosen't mean its true. Don't be so quick to believe something just because you want it to be true.

T-Man
09-03-2011, 09:33 AM
I hear ya. I don't "want it to be true". He just sure as hell sounds like an honest man to me....and a troubleman.

I Know this Midwesttroubleshooter, and it's a fact his Rodeo team is podium material. They had to enter as contractors because our Utility was no longer interested in spending the cash on setting up and sending a team/s so they got together by themselves, with backing from their Union and private help and went to Kansas as Contractors. Their Apprentice took first and the Jouneymen came in second. All their practice was outside company time with their own expenses. IMO they still represented our guys just not our company. They were made up of Troubleshooters and Linemen. Our company used to send three teams. . . They were on those teams also in the past.

Now as with all Linemen and Troubleshooters their pride gets infront of them as I'm sure happens with any of us on here, so this young ladd may have used the term "Millions of dollars in decissions" a bit liberally. . .never the less I know he's a good man and good Troubleshooter and he is called upon routinely to decide a lot of things on the spot as the job calls for, which is the nature of being a Troubleshooter. He can get r done :cool:

loodvig
09-03-2011, 09:49 AM
I Know this Midwesttroubleshooter, and it's a fact his Rodeo team is podium material. They had to enter as contractors because our Utility was no longer interested in spending the cash on setting up and sending a team/s so they got together by themselves, with backing from their Union and private help and went to Kansas as Contractors. Their Apprentice took first and the Jouneymen came in second. All their practice was outside company time with their own expenses. IMO they still represented our guys just not our company. They were made up of Troubleshooters and Linemen. Our company used to send three teams. . . They were on those teams also in the past.

Now as with all Linemen and Troubleshooters their pride gets infront of them as I'm sure happens with any of us on here, so this young ladd may have used the term "Millions of dollars in decissions" a bit liberally. . .never the less I know he's a good man and good Troubleshooter and he is called upon routinely to decide a lot of things on the spot as the job calls for, which is the nature of being a Troubleshooter. He can get r done :cool:

Very well put!

wtdoor67
09-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Everybody knows troublemen are a bunch of girlie boys.

Pootnaigle
09-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Ummmmmmm Girlie boys? Nah... jusa hairy legged lineman wif branes.

topgroove
09-11-2011, 10:36 PM
Everybody knows troublemen are a bunch of girlie boys.
gotta admitt, I have gotten in touch with my feminine side a couple times on trouble:eek:

reppy007
10-04-2011, 01:22 AM
I am a troubleman and believe me, I wish I could go back to being a lineman. We work rotating swing shifts, work alone constantly, do all the switching for the crews who won't work anything hot anymore. I do agree that a troubleman deserves more pay. Even when I was a lineman, I was sometimes upgraded to T-man for a day at a time or even up to a couple of weeks. You run your ass off.

to me its not important,ive been exposed to both,line-crew,and troubleshooter,2 man crew,and so on,and i think a lineman that is capable of doing both is a well trained hand,i used to think that way,but most,thats the key-word,most trouble-shooters are pretty sharp,sure some are lazy,but some ,or most of the guys i know are pretty sharp,lineman on line-crews are the same way,some slower than others,some slow,personally,im not the kind to want to impress,im there to get paid,and make a living,and to do a good job,and safe job,its weather being a lineman on a crew or a troubleshooter,both are needed.as i got older,why would i want to build a line ,just to build another one,it gets old,on the trouble guys part,your working alone,maybe 3 am in the morning,up a 45 foot pole changing out bad clamps,ectone thing you learn is,its all you,nobody to ask,nobody to warn you of hazards,nobody to fetch,climbing at night,dont look around,its all you,so give these guys a break,i happen to like it,working alone,seems like 1 lazy troubleman ruins things for the good ones,but older hands have seen this,like i have,shooting trouble that the trouble-man missed,i can go on and on,but i wont,give the guys a break,like i said,its not about money,kind of like being in the service,either you go,or you stay home,its not about the money.

lineman1234
12-13-2018, 11:38 AM

I shot trouble alone for a company for 8 yrs. When I started their was 4 of us working alone. One guy on in day. and 2 at night. We had rotating shifts. on weekend off every 4 weeks.. Then went to 2 and a forced person One at night now Really hard to have a life.
One starts a 6am in the morning goes to coffee and gets a call to come back for switching orders. REALLY another 30 step switching BOMB. Then at the end of the day they want you to stay late and unswitch it.
Its not fun to go to a blown 100T fuse on a 19.9/34.5 riser alone. Fuse is violently blown. Dispatcher sais give it a poke. I always had to give it a poke One cant always use an extend-stick so its toss it in with a 12 foot stick and of course it blows back and blows your helmet off. ( I always double ear plug)
We changed cut-outs out by ourselves, they wanted to make us do riser LAs but that's not good for one person. Can it be done, yes should it be done no.
Pull up to the HOOD and give them a piece of paper and say your lights are going out for non payment.
Rainy days/ bad days trouble guy is running around like a nut wile the other guys are doing nothing.
If I called for a crew or said it needs 2 people; a superviser had to come out and check it to make sure no way I couldn't do it alone.
Yes it has its good days. When everyone is working and if its slow trouble guy gets a break.

ODBank
01-22-2019, 01:15 AM
I’ve been a troubleman for almost 5 years now, I work for a big utility, think I make $1 and change more than a Lineman, 90% of the time my job is easy, the other 10% I earn every bit of it, I miss running a crew but I make more money now, don’t work as hard physically and don’t have to deal with all the politics. Being a troubleman is easy but it takes time to learn how to be, the hi-lows and the bullshit tags are just busy work and anyone can do that, it’s the UG troubleshooting, finding burnt open jumpers in the middle of the night or how you handle CB outages and switching, it’s just different and it’s not for everyone.

lineman1234
01-27-2019, 12:08 PM
I did 24 years for a big company in New Hampshire on the crew side.. Then 8 years shooting trouble for a big company in PA. In PA they had a lot of delta primary and seconderies that ran on for 3 blocks. That was a learning experience. It got to the point that the only people they could get to take the position, was people like me from out of company. It was a great position when I started, but they just loaded one guy up with all kinds of work when one didn't have trouble calls of street lights to fix. I got out as soon as I could. 2 years ago.
keep safe

hotwiretamer
04-06-2020, 01:58 AM
Wow, tuff to see High Plains Drifter, and TopGroove banned from this site. Exellent and knowledgeable linehands.
Troublemen don't face the hazards daily that Linecrews do, like it or not. Hanging tags, and checking part powers is not that dangerous.