PDA

View Full Version : Storm Death???

rusty
07-13-2005, 08:32 AM
Brothers and Sisters,

I recieved a call last night of a death of one of our Brothers working on the storm damage. I lost the connection before I could get anymore info??? Don't know, who, where, how, NOTHING! I don't believe this is a prank. It would seem our worst fears have come true again!!!!

Anybody heard anything????

Families, Lives, Limbs and SAFETY " BEFORE " production, bonuses and profits!

NO MORE LIVES FOR DOLLARS!!!

S.A.C.
Rusty White 817-253-1358

powerlineman09
07-13-2005, 05:32 PM
Another Pike in South Alabama. When will it stop? Another dollar for a life in Mt. Airy. Thoughts and prayers are with his family.

T.Rodgers
07-13-2005, 08:21 PM
I hear he was killed from back feed from a generator hooked up incorrectly, it was in Flomoton, Al. Our prayers are with his family and co-workers.

Rotahand
07-13-2005, 08:39 PM
This is no prank. The lineman killed yesterday was working for Pike Electric and picked up a line that was connected to someones house that hooked up a generator and did not disconnect from the distribution system. The linemans name was Ronnie Adams, age unknown. He had two children and a wife. As far as I know he was from Louisiana. They are trying to set up a fund for his family, but nothing I have heard of yet. I will let yall know more as I hear of it. I wish they would really teach folks the proper connection of generators, this was a really tragic and preventable accident. Stay Safe and think about it before you do it.

LINETRASH
07-13-2005, 11:21 PM
Tragic.

There is no way we can teach laymen the proper use of generators.

The only thing we can do is treat wire as if hot untill grounded.

Pike has quite a few deaths on their hands.

just say no
07-13-2005, 11:39 PM
any one who works for that rat fu@k piece of shit contractor better stop and realize that company is killing lineman.i know i ride you rat lineman pretty hard.but you guys have famileys,children and are trying to make a living....but enough is enough...its time for you guys to get together and put a stop to this...wheather its organizing or whatever,do something.cause i can assure you,they don't give two shits about you..and i'm getting real tired of reading about "PIKE" lineman getting mamed or killed......

rusty
07-14-2005, 09:42 AM
Brother Crip posted this on another board.
It happend in Flomaton, AL. and the guy was from Winterville, GA.

Link: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8565145/

Utility crewman in hurricane recovery dies working on power line

WPMI-TV
A Georgia man died while working with a utility crew restoring electrical service to Flomaton following Hurricane Dennis.(FLOMATON, Ala.-AP) July 13 --

Police said 41-year-old Ronnie Allen Adams Junior, ofWinterville, Georgia, died yesterday afternoon.

Adams, who worked for Pike Electric, Incorporated, of MountAiry, North Carolina, was in a bucket truck working on power lines when he slumped over.

In a statement, Flomaton Police Chief Mike Lambert saysco-workers attempted to revive Adams with C-P-R. Adams wasairlifted to Jay Hospital where he was pronounced dead at 5:44 p.m. Tuesday.

Cause of death was not immediately determined. An autopsy is planned by the Escambia County, Florida, Medical Examiners Office.

Flomaton police and officials from Alabama Power Company are investigating.

Dennis made landfall Sunday between Pensacola and Navarre Beach. Flomaton was one of the inland cities damaged by the storm.

(Copyright 2005 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Our prayers are with the family!!!

The only way this will ever turn around, is when we stand together and demand it! The only thing that will cause that, is when real safety cost less than facing our Brothers lovedones!!!! PLEASE, have a plan, and demand justice!!!!!

Famiies, Lives, Limbs and SAFETY " BEFORE " production, bonuses and profits

NO MORE LIVES FOR DOLLARS!!!!

S.A.C.
Rusty White
817-253-1358

Koga
07-14-2005, 10:13 AM
Go to the Mobile Register website it has a bit more info.Guys this was a situation that absolutly didnt have to take place.The same set up that happened to me and my guys down in Golden Meadow,La. last week after TS Cindy. We opened up all the transformer fuses to kill the back feed that was on the line.It didnt take but maybe 15 to 20 min. more. And everyone got to go home .Please when your out there workin after a storm Look it over REAL GOOD and LISTEN for those generators. Open up all the potential sources and test and ground everything.

Koga

m_kohner
07-14-2005, 07:19 PM
another safety tip notify customers on the affected tap you are on that the power company is there restoring power, i was working toronado damage a while back a customer had a generator in a garage back feeding through a 220 volt dryer recptace exhauste going through the dryer vent we were 1 home down repairing the broken primary made all connections had the cut out open and when we closed in....you guessed it....... a nice quiet honda generator in a garage. no one injured, all the customer had to do is kill the main disconnect.....take care be safe......P.S. I drug up from pike today for some of my own reasons.....one less pike rat...lol....mike

powerlineman09
07-14-2005, 07:31 PM
P.S. I drug up from pike today for some of my own reasons.....one less pike rat...lol....mike

Good choice. Best call you could've made.

pike5/5
07-14-2005, 08:17 PM
hey,guys
you know what is F@UP about ronnie is that i was bull shitting with him that morning that is some scary shit!! we were told that the line that he was on was a single phase tap off of a three phase feeder and that the three phase was grounded & gapped on both sides of the work area the single was on line hard and there were no grounds on the single phase not sure of area or conditions hard to get info. my g.f. was sent to the accident because he was the nearest person above foreman available and it was said that when ronnie started working there were NO generators on the tap and that the consumer came home and fired up a generator knowing that the crew was there no warning no cares!! killed ronnie then had his lawyer present when my g.f. arrived .pike changed safety rules now gloves at all times grounded ,hot doesn't matter energized work gloves&sleeves cradle to cradle in buckets or sleeves above nuetral climbing i hate to see new rules come from another dead lineman but that is how i goes i really hope that this death will stay close in mind&heart of everyone and always expect the unexpected

pole splinter
07-14-2005, 08:19 PM
I worked in Flomation and Brewton Alabama last year - hurrican ivan.
I'm sorry to hear of this mans death in Flowmation.
Lets get these lines grounded guys-we can't help our customers if we don't.
My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
pole splinter

rusty
07-15-2005, 12:11 AM
Brother and Sister,

The bottom line is, we have to change the way our lives are valued! If our lives are nothing more than a line item on a bid or spread sheet, this will never change!!!! I for one, other than emergency needs, would put this WHOLE COUNTRY in the dark, before we lost another Brother!!!! Money and lost time can be made up , or planned in advance. Being a father to our children or a life time partner to our ladies IS A ONE SHOT DEAL!!!! When those in the office are in the same danger we are , THEY can call the shots, UNTIL THEN IT'S OUR LIVES AND OUR BALL GAME!!!!

Families, Lives , Limbs and SAFETY " BEFORE " production, bonuses and profits!!

NO MORE LIVES FOR DOLLARS!!!

S.A.C.
Rusty White
817-253-1358

boyakasha
07-15-2005, 09:18 AM
To the family concerned,
When people r taken away from u so sudden,with out warning and when there time isn't up it just means they have been ahead of there times, miles infront of everyone. They have passed on knowledge to people far and wide. Touched peoples hearts and made them laugh more than we would ever in our life times. I hope this helps. it helped me

dbrown20
07-15-2005, 07:11 PM
If you cannot see a ground on the wire you are working on, then wear your rubbers. dbrown20

Stinger
07-18-2005, 08:55 PM
I know i share the toughts and prayers for our fallen brother from Pike. Needles accident. How many times do we have to say it" Not grounded, not dead" I 've done pleanty of storm work all over the south and north. I am alway preaching to the boys about testing and grounding. DO NOT TAKE ANYONE'S WORD that is dead and grounded unless you see it for yourself. I wish there was a away these home owners could be held responsible for not having generators hooked up IAW the codes. I always pull the meters of homes with generators along with all the other safe things we do to protect ourselves.

LINETRASH
07-18-2005, 09:46 PM
If you arrive on a trouble call and are not sure about the situation, please check the conductor to be de-energized.

You never know who shot the ticket, let alone who knows whats going on.

It is my understanding that all trouble tkt's are shot again upon the arrival of the crew.

I can dig that. I work with some true morons. They think they are aware of whatever problems they find.

Unfortunately, many in a position to shoot trouble are stupid.

Like it or not, you are surrounded by morons.

linemanrodeo
05-15-2006, 10:09 PM
This is no prank. The lineman killed yesterday was working for Pike Electric and picked up a line that was connected to someones house that hooked up a generator and did not disconnect from the distribution system. The linemans name was Ronnie Adams, age unknown. He had two children and a wife. As far as I know he was from Louisiana. They are trying to set up a fund for his family, but nothing I have heard of yet. I will let yall know more as I hear of it. I wish they would really teach folks the proper connection of generators, this was a really tragic and preventable accident. Stay Safe and think about it before you do it.

I just read this posting. If anyone is interested, we just published a 2006 Hurricane Guide with a lot of safety info for our customers. If interested, drop me a line. I work in Lakeland.