PDA

View Full Version : question for big clive?

topgroove
06-11-2011, 07:13 PM
was it you who coined the phrase "joule Thief" ? Absoulutly brilliant play on words! Its such a simple but amazing little circuit that combines an occillating tank circuit ( blocking occilator) positive feedback. with flyback voltage from a collapsing field.
http://www.elperfecto.com/wp-content/uploads/Joule_Thief_Circuit_Diagram_with_Toroidal_Inductor .jpg
Joule Thief Circuit Diagram

Normaly it takes about 3.5 to 4 volts to light a white LED. but with this little circuit you can light it brightly with just a single AA battery.

Just finnished soldering my first joule thief together and the circuit works perfectly, Amazing. without a scope I can't measure the output voltage. A fluke can't quite measure those flyback spikes, but the white jumbo LED is blinding bright.

Pootnaigle
06-11-2011, 09:06 PM
If it'll werk sign me up for one, I needa catch a fish ever now n then to warrant buyin gas for the boat. I been thinkin on gettin an inverter n changing out the handle on my net to a fiberglass stick LOL.

loodvig
06-11-2011, 09:47 PM
If it'll werk sign me up for one, I needa catch a fish ever now n then to warrant buyin gas for the boat. I been thinkin on gettin an inverter n changing out the handle on my net to a fiberglass stick LOL.

Don't you have a 'fresh fish' store near your favorite fishing spot?:D

LostArt
06-11-2011, 11:08 PM
This is starting to sound like some scene from the "Grumpy Old Men" movie. :D

loodvig
06-12-2011, 07:52 AM
I think we just went off topic! Sorry!

Squizzy
06-13-2011, 10:00 AM
It doesn't matter LA at least they are being civil to one an another:D...

BigClive
06-13-2011, 02:50 PM
It was indeed me who named the circuit Joule Thief. I thought it was amusing at the time, but didn't realise how it was going to take off! It seems to have created a cult following where people think it's an over-unity device, which is unfortunately not the case.

If you guys are talking about electro fishing then you need a significant current for that at a high enough voltage to push that current through water and the in-line fish.

I'm surprised some electro-fishers don't get electrocuted given their complete lack of understanding of the voltages and currents they're dealing with.

topgroove
06-13-2011, 07:04 PM
It was indeed me who named the circuit Joule Thief. I thought it was amusing at the time, but didn't realise how it was going to take off! It seems to have created a cult following where people think it's an over-unity device, which is unfortunately not the case.

I hear you Clive, clearly its no over-unity device. Its pretty damn handy converting a low useless DC voltage into something usefull for lighting LED's and charging batteries. I thought it was really cool that someone I know is known around the world as the person who coined the phrase Joule Thief! its a perfect play on words that really took off.

Seams to me this circuit would be perfect for your ionizer. Create an extreamly high voltage quite cheaply from easy to get components.