PDA

View Full Version : Injuries in MI today

duckhunter
06-27-2011, 08:33 PM
I don't have much info. Some employees from a G&T and a contractor working on some 69kV. Flash burns, two guys at burn centers and two others released. More as I hear it. They could use some prayers.

electriklady
06-27-2011, 09:24 PM
Prayers being sent airmail for the injured men.

CPOPE
06-28-2011, 04:48 PM
4 hurt when electrical line accidentally powers up
Posted: Jun 27, 2011 10:04 PM EDT Updated: Jun 27, 2011 10:04 PM EDT

CLEON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) - A northern Michigan power company says four people were injured when a Wolverine Power Cooperative electrical line they were working on accidentally powered up.

Officials of Cherryland Electric Cooperative tell the Traverse City Record-Eagle the accident happened about 9 a.m. Monday in Manistee County's Cleon Township, about 25 miles southwest of Traverse City. Cherrylawn Electric is a member of Wolverine Power.

The newspaper says a Wolverine worker was taken to the burn unit at University of Michigan Medical Center in Ann Arbor, and two contract workers were taken to Munson Medical Center in Traverse City.

A third contractor was treated at the scene.

There's no immediate word on the conditions of the injured.

http://www.wnem.com/story/14986325/4-hurt-when-electrical-line-accidentally-powers-up

hotwiretamer
06-28-2011, 06:19 PM
4 hurt when electrical line accidentally powers up
Posted: Jun 27, 2011 10:04 PM EDT Updated: Jun 27, 2011 10:04 PM EDT

CLEON TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) - A northern Michigan power company says four people were injured when a Wolverine Power Cooperative electrical line they were working on accidentally powered up.

Officials of Cherryland Electric Cooperative tell the Traverse City Record-Eagle the accident happened about 9 a.m. Monday in Manistee County's Cleon Township, about 25 miles southwest of Traverse City. Cherrylawn Electric is a member of Wolverine Power.

The newspaper says a Wolverine worker was taken to the burn unit at University of Michigan Medical Center in Ann Arbor, and two contract workers were taken to Munson Medical Center in Traverse City.

A third contractor was treated at the scene.

There's no immediate word on the conditions of the injured.

http://www.wnem.com/story/14986325/4-hurt-when-electrical-line-accidentally-powers-up

God bless the injured, I hope they are all okay.
Any word on how the line became energized?

duckhunter
06-28-2011, 10:05 PM
Setting a pole in-line energized 69kV. Lost control of the pole, is the heresay. Don't know about cover-up on line or pole at this time.

MI-Lineman
06-28-2011, 11:18 PM
Heard about this?:( Prayers and thoughts for the guys!

duckhunter
06-30-2011, 09:46 PM
I haven't heard on the contractor that was taken to Grand Rapids burn center in a couple days. He was put into an induced coma on Monday. The lineman at U of M burn center is doing very well. Still real concerns about an arm. But doing well. Everyone else out of the hospital.

duckhunter
07-07-2011, 10:03 PM
2 linemen still in the hospital. One in an induced coma, will be in the coma at least 2 more weeks. 27% covered in burns.

The other lineman in the Ann Arbor Trauma Center should start getting skin grafts tommorrow.

Still not much info on what actually happened.

Ghostrider
07-10-2011, 08:49 PM
Does anyone have an update on the lineman? We are hearing lots of rumors in Iowa about this. It would be nice to get an update on the men and some information on what they were doing and how it went so wrong.

thanks

duckhunter
07-11-2011, 07:17 AM
The lineman for Wolverine Power in Ann Arbor Trauma Center started getting skin grafts on Friday, I heard it went well. The Hydecker guy in Grand Rapids will be kept in a coma a couple more weeks.

Ghostrider
07-12-2011, 07:43 AM
Duckhunter

Thanks for the update. My prayers are with the two still in the hospital and three that have been released. I assume that OSHA will release a report on what went wrong and what was went right.

cololinehand
07-13-2011, 08:41 PM
Between Pope's post and Duckhunter's post it sounds like they are 2 different accidents.

Was it an accidental energizing or a screw up setting a pole?

duckhunter
07-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Setting a pole in 69kv. Lot's done wrong on this job.

230kv_barehand
07-13-2011, 11:22 PM
Sucks to hear. Nobody should suffer what we do over a "screw up" but thats our job..

Hope all the ones hurt recover.

Ghostrider
07-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Any updates on the two in the hospital. My thoughts and prayers are with them and their families. I hope their famlies are holding up it has to be hard on them. I just kissed my kids good night and am headed to the motel.

duckhunter
07-18-2011, 08:12 AM
The lineman from Wolverine was sent home on Friday after skin grafts earlier in the week. They are expecting very good recovery for him. No word on the Hydecker lineman recently.

rob8210
07-18-2011, 08:12 PM
Prayers going out to the fellas that got hurt and their families too! I am very curious to learn how this happened, what went wrong and what needed to be done different. We are doing similar work everyday. I am very sorry that guys have gotten hurt, I hope we can learn something from it. Thanks

Ghostrider
07-24-2011, 12:37 PM
We were told last week that the Power Co employee is home and will need skin grafting. The status on the H&W employee was unchanged and he is still in a coma. Rumor is the pole was set and someone pushed the butt to center it in the hole. This caused the top to hit the 69 kv line. We were told that there was a ground wire from the top of the pole to a coil on the ground. It saddens me to hear the crew would take a short cut like this. I hope the rumor is not true but if it is true we all take a look at our current work practices and make adjustments. Several of the lineman are home this weekend and should have more information.

My thoughts an prayers are with those who were hurt, their families, and with those who have to live with the memories of this.

Ghostrider
08-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Heard today that the Hydecker Lineman was sent home. He will need lots of skin grafting but is expected to recover. They say it may take two years. Hope everyone learns from this tragic mistake.

My Best to everyone that was involved in this. It is good to hear some good news.