PDA

View Full Version : Getting loan for lineman school or dropping out of Boeing apprentice ship after 16k

dustyn77
11-06-2011, 03:20 PM
I was planning on attending the NW lineman college this spring and was gonna take out a loan to pay for it which would give me good job skills after the school to get me into the lineworker trade. Or my other option is since I applied at Boeing for an apprenctice ship and am pretty sure I got accepted is work for Boeing in the apprenticeship until I save up enough money to completely pay for lineman school and other costs. I would drop out of the Boeing apprenticeship though to goto lineman school and when I apply for a power utility company for lineman apprentice I fear they will see that I dropped out of one apprenticeship and would just assume I wouldn't be dependable. I don't want to complete the apprenticeship at Boeing because it's like 5 years. After five years I think I would just not care about becoming a lineman anymore and that's not what I want to do. By the way i'm 18

wantafastz28
11-06-2011, 04:14 PM
I looked into getting a loan for NLC through who they recommend, and the rates were ridiculous, and i have excellent credit.... since it's a "trade" school it makes it difficult... I ultimately chose a school that is in state that was considerably cheaper, but longer. It really depends on what you truly want man... if you want to be a lineman, u will do what ever it takes to be one instead of procrastinating... whether it being working at boeing for 5 years to save up, or changing ur life style to accommodate the needs for getting in a school... I would say broaden your horizons and look for other schools that suit ur budget. Gotta remember, if ur even a little hesitant, there are literally hundreds of other people dying to get into this trade.

makohon
11-07-2011, 01:12 AM
if you truley want to be a lineman you will do what you gotta do and find a way to go to the school... weather its sally may with a 15% interest rate or sell your cars/toys.... big deal you pay 15% interest.... it will pay off in less than a year, im about to graduate nlc this thursday and have a job out in texas starting out as an apprentice... if you want to stay close to home or dont want to work in texas, back east, or just shitty places in general look for another career man...... you gotta do what you gotta do to get that apprenticeship done and after that you can be alot more selective were you want to work... and i would also highly reccomend nlc because it is pretty much the harvard of line schools.. yes im sure theres other good line schools out there that are cheaper but there have been companies ive seen that pretty much require you go to nlc and nlc actually trains apprentices and guys that have been in the trade for a while about transformers, reclosers, regulators etc from line contractors.... well bottom line if you cant find a way to pay for it you probably dont want to do it that bad... good luck man

wantafastz28
11-07-2011, 08:51 PM
It's not a simple 15% interest loan...

It's 13-22% interest loan with variable rates with NO limits, and is based on prime which is low already...if you don't get a job immediately out of school, that could turn into a nasty debt.

makohon
11-07-2011, 10:17 PM
ya there not simple loans... but like i said there are many many jobs out there "Only if you are not picky!!!" if i could, i would have picked a job in sonoma county ca, my home county.... but i want to work and not waste time and be picky so now im heading to mildand/odessa tx.... now if your picky and want to work in prime locations just getting your foot in the door good luck and yes defenetly the loan will screw you.... i can make more money going back to my old job than the job in texas but i want that apprenticeship.... no matter the pay or location i would take an apprenticeship....

Roofus
11-07-2011, 11:59 PM
ya there not simple loans... but like i said there are many many jobs out there "Only if you are not picky!!!" if i could, i would have picked a job in sonoma county ca, my home county.... but i want to work and not waste time and be picky so now im heading to mildand/odessa tx.... now if your picky and want to work in prime locations just getting your foot in the door good luck and yes defenetly the loan will screw you.... i can make more money going back to my old job than the job in texas but i want that apprenticeship.... no matter the pay or location i would take an apprenticeship....

If you're from Sonoma county why not get on the books in Vacaville? I got a couple buddies that graduated NLC earlier this year and already got jobs close to home. Hell, one of em jus cleared 9k take home his first month on the job. But if you're in a position to go to Texas, more power to ya. Just saying, it looks like more jobs are opening up round here everyday...

makohon
11-08-2011, 12:31 AM
not to hyjack this thread but i was going to sign the books but was offer my apprenticeship... id rather make less for an apprenticeship than make more money if i were on the books working as a groundsman not knowing if it will be 2 years before i am offerd an apprenticeship to do what i went to school for.. thats great they got jobs right out of school... some guy in my class signed the books less than 2 months ago not knowing his name would be called so soon, hes now at the bottom of the list cuz hes past his 3 calls...... and i guess what i meant by goodluck getting your foot in the door close to hometown is few and hard to get but not impossible

jozmo
11-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Some times I worry about this trade going to the dogs, manned by worthless young kids. Then I come to the "Apprentices and Wanna Be's" and listen to you young men giving each other advice and help each other out.
I also see how for you will go to get that Apprenticeship.
Most of you are trying for IBEW Apprenticeships, some might have to settle for non-union line, jobs, but one thing most of you have demonstrated here, Brotherhood, being your brothers keeper. You will go far in the future living by that rule. If you stay in the outside construction side of linework, what you do to help or lack of help you give will arrive ahead of you on the next job. Good Luck.Damn good advice !!!

linehand814
11-20-2011, 03:47 AM
not to hyjack this thread but i was going to sign the books but was offer my apprenticeship... id rather make less for an apprenticeship than make more money if i were on the books working as a groundsman not knowing if it will be 2 years before i am offerd an apprenticeship to do what i went to school for.. thats great they got jobs right out of school... some guy in my class signed the books less than 2 months ago not knowing his name would be called so soon, hes now at the bottom of the list cuz hes past his 3 calls...... and i guess what i meant by goodluck getting your foot in the door close to hometown is few and hard to get but not impossible

I thought the same way when i got out of nlc. I was offered a app. with a rat contractor right out of school and was happier than a clam. I thought hell ya, gonna put in my 4 years get my ticket and go wherever i want....yea right. things they dont tell you at lineschool, non union lineman=white ticket lineman. you mine as well run that white ticket through the shredder. union utilities like the one i work for NOW consider a white ticket lineman a grunt. if your betting on going to a union utility after your rat apprenticeship it wont be as a journeyman, i garuntee it. the union dosent consider you a JL unless you go through an I.B.E.W apprenticeship. so while its fine and dandy getting a job right of of school, just remeber after 4 years your still a grunt and a rat to the union. what i suggest to all you spring chickens is go to the hall, sign the books, and apply to the jatc program. it might take you longer to start but it will be alot faster then going through two apprenticeships...the first being a joke. pm me if you want more details. remeber that lineschool is in the buisness of MAKING money like the rest of us. they encourage you to go work for rats because its good for their numbers....90% of grads working in the field, those numbers get them more buisness, more money. they dont care about your safety, quality of life, or future after your done with your 4 months. they care about their numbers. so enjoy your stay in texas working non union, cause when you go back to cali and try to get a union utility job with pg&e as JL youll be running right back to texas and they'll be laughing all the way. sorry to offend and non-union lineman, just my .02