PDA

View Full Version : Class 3 Rubber Gloves

metroline79
11-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Im new to doing hot work but noticed all my Journeyman have these class 3 gloves that can pick up washers laying at the bottom of a bucket. My class 3's are much stiffer. Anyone know how I can get them loosened up in a short time. I have size 10 rubbers and put a size 9 leather protector on them and drenched in water and tried to work with them at home. Doesnt seem to be working. Is this something that just takes time?

Pootnaigle
11-19-2011, 10:09 PM
Ummmmmmmm I kinda doubt yer gloves will ever get any more pliable, If they do dont wear em kause sumpins wrong with em. The difference is them guys been wearin em for years and have learned to manipulate them. I wud try a size larger protector than what yer usin

topgroove
11-19-2011, 11:34 PM
Listen to poot, he's right.

The only way to get used to them is to work in your gloves and sleeves every day for hours and hours day after day in all kinds of weather.

Your gonna spend countless hours in scorching 90 degree heat, and if you live up north, day after day of numbing cold in the winter.

You'll see, at some point in your career you'll actually feel strange up in the air without your gloves.

I have to admitt .... there is a huge difference between class two's and three's

lewy
11-20-2011, 07:28 AM
I have only class 2 & 4 but, like the other guys said start with a larger set of covers & yes only experience is going to make it easier, also watch how they handle things & pass stuff to each other. Do you also have class 2 or only 3? If you have both know your rules as to when you have to wear your 3s. We are a ground to ground utility, but the only time I wear my class 4s is when I am actually going to be hands on on our 27.6 kv, if I am climbing or am within my minimum clearances doing stick work on 44 kv I will wear my class 2s & of course if everything is grounded I will wear my leathers.

T-Man
11-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Listen to all these oldtimers and one more hint. . . .take extra nuts and washers along till you get real good at picking them out of your nut bag then take extra along incase yer having a bad day. Them threes are stiff gloves. Thake good care of them too. It's like cutting wire with your kliens, it takes time using them before you can use them in one hand and not like a thighmaster between your knees.

wantafastz28
11-20-2011, 10:21 AM
4024 :P jk

Highplains Drifter
11-20-2011, 07:52 PM
I have only class 2 & 4 but, like the other guys said start with a larger set of covers & yes only experience is going to make it easier, also watch how they handle things & pass stuff to each other. Do you also have class 2 or only 3? If you have both know your rules as to when you have to wear your 3s. We are a ground to ground utility, but the only time I wear my class 4s is when I am actually going to be hands on on our 27.6 kv, if I am climbing or am within my minimum clearances doing stick work on 44 kv I will wear my class 2s & of course if everything is grounded I will wear my leathers.

lewy, are you wearing rubber gloves while hot sticking?

Pootnaigle
11-20-2011, 08:07 PM
Ummmmmmmm at lottsa places nowadays Gloves are required when using hotsticks. I dont unnerstand the reasons fer it nor do I unnerstand how you gauge what class gloves to wear when yer sticking transmission voltages.Just dont make sense to me kause sooner or later yer gonna brush yer body with one of them sticks and the gloves aint gone be doing crap fer ya.Maybe a safety expert could chime in n do some splainin.

lewy
11-20-2011, 09:43 PM
lewy, are you wearing rubber gloves while hot sticking?

Only if inside of our minimum approach distances. We are a distribution only utility, the highest voltage we work on is 44 kv

metroline79
11-21-2011, 06:41 PM
Thank for yalls input on this. Are lines are all 14.4 and a few 7200. So all we have are class 3 gloves and class 0 for secondary. I guess i have to get use to them more to pick up small nuts and washers. Guess it wouldnt hurt to hit the gym and work out my forearms. I just thought there might be a trick after tring on my journeyman class 3s with them being so flexible.

hotwiretamer
11-21-2011, 06:42 PM
Are your Class 3's blue, or black??

rcdallas
11-22-2011, 07:44 PM
<....delete....>

hotwiretamer
11-22-2011, 07:48 PM
On glove changeout be the first to grab the only pair of whites left. Salisbury suck.

Our gloves now have transponders in the end of the cuff (in the rolled up part). So our gloves stay our gloves. There is two pairs for each employee, so on change out day you get the same gloves back that you sent to the lab. Just somemore servelience!

LAMartin.CVEC
11-22-2011, 07:53 PM
Salisbury ARE junk. Sorry, if I'm "jamming" this thread I just saw that and totally agree! CVEC has ordered some A.B. Chance and some Novax glove to throw into the rotation we just haven't seen them yet. Has anyone else had experience with either brand (I did test out the AB chance gloves not bad feel wise but I'm not a fan of their other products)?

Work Safely,

L.A. Martin
Journeyman Div III
CVEC

rcdallas
11-22-2011, 08:09 PM
<....delete....>

rcdallas
11-22-2011, 08:11 PM
<....delete....>

LAMartin.CVEC
11-22-2011, 08:15 PM
You should check the site ad's bro! :)

L.a Martin

rob8210
11-22-2011, 09:03 PM
I always like North gloves, when I can get them. And yeah you will get used to them class 3 gloves eventually. I don't have class 3 , I have class 2 and class 4. The best trick I found is to pick parts up with my thumb and middle finger. Have fun!!!

thrasher
11-23-2011, 11:07 AM
I can't remember the brand name right now but one of the distributors brought around some gloves that they were thinking of importing from India. Most of our guys could not get thier hands inside them because the fingers were too narrow. I guess thier molds were for people with thinner hands than in the USA. The distributor did not start importing them due to the fit issue.

LA Martin
When you do get some of the other gloves how about giving us a report back. Not only am I getting complaints above the Salisbury gloves but they are failing routine testing at about 70% higher rate than before 2005 when they still had competition. We used to use a lot of North gloves, but they are like gold now.

busman
11-24-2011, 09:39 AM
I only use Class 1 gloves (electrician), but have to work many small parts with gloves on. White was the best. Salisbury suck. My newest pair are Chance and they are almost as nice as the Whites were. I still have the Whites to compare to, but they are so old, I'd have to get them tested if I wanted to use them.

Rammstein
11-26-2011, 08:06 PM
What does everyone like the best out of the gloves? From the looks of it Salisbury are not a favorite.

hotwiretamer
11-26-2011, 08:20 PM
I think I sense a bit of quiver in your typing cause I dont buy that. lol

OK, well not exactly a transponder, but they do install a chip in the cuff to monitor times/dates of when they were tested last, etc.

Highplains Drifter
11-26-2011, 10:09 PM
Im new to doing hot work but noticed all my Journeyman have these class 3 gloves that can pick up washers laying at the bottom of a bucket. My class 3's are much stiffer. Anyone know how I can get them loosened up in a short time. I have size 10 rubbers and put a size 9 leather protector on them and drenched in water and tried to work with them at home. Doesnt seem to be working. Is this something that just takes time?

The Cadillac of rubber gloves to me is the one finger mitten style, they are warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. It seems to me that I have a better grip with those three fingers together then wearing the glove style of rubber. Hot work for me is not a one man show but two people in the zone doing the work. One man knows how to position and hand hardware to the man doing the work, that way there is no struggle or fighting the hardware. See if you can get the one finger mitten issued to you and try them.