PDA

View Full Version : Balloons in lines

hotwiretamer
01-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Just curious, how many Utilities out there charge to remove balloons/debri from lines that come from car dealers, etc.?

We have a car dealer out on the hwy that we are constantly having to remove there d*amn balloons!
Nobody seems to want to send them a bill!

I guess I shouldn't bi*ch too much, I made 2 hrs. of OT today thanks to them!:D

Pootnaigle
01-23-2012, 09:33 PM
Ummmmmmmm gettem to start usin the aluminum foil ballons. Aint nothing left to remove.

Highplains Drifter
01-23-2012, 09:36 PM
I always like removing the fishing lures, get restock my tackle box! ;)

loodvig
01-25-2012, 03:10 PM
Years ago I had to remove a very large, and wet American flag that was wrapped around all 3 phases. And I couldn't cut it! The feeder had locked out and I found it on a patrol. It was a weekend and the car dealer was closed. I took the flag back to the yard and it disapeared from there!

bren guzzi
01-25-2012, 04:22 PM
I got a call early one sunday morning when I worked for the Grid . "Bren can you go down to East sussex there's a ballon on the line. COOL. Well man I had to laugh when I got there. 14 people hanging in a hot air ballon basket from the middle phase of a 400 kv line.

Both circuits tripped out.
It took 6 spacer chairs and 10 linesmen to get the people down. We had an enginer on site writing a saftey procedure as we "made it up as we went along.

12 hours double time . Mind you it was hard graft removing the ballon. We hacked it to pieces.

Thanks for reminding me ..... Happy days. :)

Highplains Drifter
01-26-2012, 11:38 PM
I got a call early one sunday morning when I worked for the Grid . "Bren can you go down to East sussex there's a ballon on the line. COOL. Well man I had to laugh when I got there. 14 people hanging in a hot air ballon basket from the middle phase of a 400 kv line.

Both circuits tripped out.
It took 6 spacer chairs and 10 linesmen to get the people down. We had an enginer on site writing a saftey procedure as we "made it up as we went along.

12 hours double time . Mind you it was hard graft removing the ballon. We hacked it to pieces.

Thanks for reminding me ..... Happy days. :)

Okay a female parasailer got tangled in a live 69kv line and had to kill the line so rescuers could get her down…but your right this thread is on balloons! http://bestsmileys.com/ballons/1.gif

tramp67
01-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Propane torch taped to the end of an extendo stick makes for some easy OT on removing balloons and fishing line!:D

Heavy
01-27-2012, 08:11 PM
Propane torch taped to the end of an extendo stick makes for some easy OT on removing balloons and fishing line!:D

Hey thats awesome, will give that one a shot next go round.

BigClive
01-28-2012, 10:56 AM
Here we go, a video that shows a mini hot air balloon (sky lantern?) giving some kids a demo of the effects of high voltage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNBMbUnwI1E