PDA

View Full Version : I just Never asked

reppy007
07-11-2012, 09:26 PM
But Ill ask you guys,for me it was a first and last,never thought anything about it.First of all Im no cap expert,I can work on them all day,but heres what happened years ago.Went on a call,customer had some type of problem,might have been blinking lights.I was on a two man truck,went into the back yard and checked voltage in an urd transformer,it was fluctuating,also the transformer was making a clicking sound,the other lineman suggested going to the next trans.on the loop,we did.Same noise,that transformer was also making the clicking noise.Well he knew right then what it was,I didnt.We were less than a half mile from the substation,and he drove up to the capacitor bank right out of the sub.There it was,the oil switches shuting off and on every few seconds,we took it off line and the problem was solved.Now here we go with the asking part,do you think it affected the rest of that circuit or only in that general location,cause we really didnt get many calls and this was a loaded circuit.And if it would have happened in reverse,lets say the cap bank was towards the end of that circuit,would it affect the customers near the substation,I would think not but I really never asked,finally has anyone ran into this same situation?

reppy007
07-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Another small subject,does anyone else spray paint the glass on the meter base @ the chicken switch.Making the wiring last longer,it worked for us pretty well,with that clear glass the wiring would frey,and the insulation never lasted too long on the capacitor banks.