PDA

View Full Version : Q for u cold weather guys

reppy007
10-09-2012, 08:18 PM
Ive wondered a couple of times about the boots you guys wear in the extreme cold weather.Years back when I was in the army stationed in Germany ,we had what we called micky mouse boots,they were used when the weather was in the extremes.You would keep your combat boots on,and slip your foot into the boots,there was an air nozzle where you would fill the boot with air,like on a tire,that would insulate you pretty well.Anyone have something like that? Cold feet is a bi-ch if you know what I mean.

Hooker
10-09-2012, 08:35 PM
http://workingperson.com/footwear-1/rubber-overshoes/servus-boots-men-s-13-inch-waterproof-rubber-overshoes-t315.html

T-Man
10-09-2012, 10:36 PM
I knew guys that had those boots, they didn't get them out often, only in really cold storm work most of the time below zero. We had an inclement clause and didn't do routine work below zero so only during trouble would they break those out. I just wore the big yellow boots over my hiking boots during cold weather.

birdog37
10-09-2012, 11:00 PM
Had a pair of these,they were awesome.Even when the air bladder went bad they still were great.Problem now with them is there not steel toed.....

loodvig
10-11-2012, 06:39 AM
I wore LL Bean pack boots with the felt liners. Always have a dry set of liners handy. Herman survivors boots were good too but they not made anymore under that name.

Orgnizdlbr
10-11-2012, 11:29 AM
Sorel PAC boots

neil macgregor
10-11-2012, 01:46 PM
wellies and big socks

gumbo
10-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Ive wondered a couple of times about the boots you guys wear in the extreme cold weather.Years back when I was in the army stationed in Germany ,we had what we called micky mouse boots,they were used when the weather was in the extremes.You would keep your combat boots on,and slip your foot into the boots,there was an air nozzle where you would fill the boot with air,like on a tire,that would insulate you pretty well.Anyone have something like that? Cold feet is a bi-ch if you know what I mean. That's kind of funny__my bunny boots have a valve that you open before you jump out of a plane because the bladders would burst with the sudden elevation change. You close them to seal them so water doesn't infiltrate the bladder. Mouse boots are wrapped in felt, encased in rubber, and the air is just an extra insulating feature. What army were you in Reppy?? I got my boots from U.S. Army surplus. I just took it for granted they are all built the same. P.S.__you buy them to fit your feet, 5 buckle overshoes are the ones you slip over your regular work boots, but I've never seen a pair with an air chuck.

lewy
10-13-2012, 07:10 AM
I wear a waterproof Royer lineman boot 1 size larger with heavy socks & it works for me down to about -10C. My feet sweat to much in pack boots then get cold.

loodvig
10-13-2012, 07:46 AM
I did have a pair of Sorels once. Great boot! I didn't like them to climb with.

BigClive
10-13-2012, 03:12 PM
I've got larger than average feet for the UK, so I wear whatever I can get. That means plain steel toecap boots or shoes in which my feet get progressively wetter and number as the day goes on. :(

Pootnaigle
10-13-2012, 08:39 PM
ummmmmmmmmmm if ya ever gettem dry rub sum mink ol onnem clyde tha'll make wem less likely to leak

rob8210
10-14-2012, 07:11 AM
I usually wear insulated rubber boots in the winter with hand knit wool socks. A trick I learned is to sprinkle some baby powder inside my socks , it helps keep my feet dry .

gumbo
10-14-2012, 10:55 AM
I wear a waterproof Royer lineman boot 1 size larger with heavy socks & it works for me down to about -10C. My feet sweat to much in pack boots then get cold. Go to just about any good sized sporting goods store and get 3 or 4 pair of felt sole liners for your boots. I wear them inside my mouse boots, they soak up the sweat and keep you dry. Rotate them daily and let them air dry for a couple of days. Putting them on a heater seems to make them compress and work as well. Air drying keeps them fluffy. This works for any boot. Get them before buying the boots though, they take up a bit of space.

torren61
10-15-2012, 09:14 PM
I've owned and used Pac boots from Hoffman, military "mickey mouse" boots and "five buckles".
The cheapest option is "five buckles". Five buckles are rubber boots that you can score from just about any good hardware store. They have, you guessed it, five buckles. You can wear them right over your regular boots and they do a fantastic job of keeping your feet warma and dry. They aren't good for climbing.

The mickey mouse boots can be found at Army surplus stores and should cost somewhere around $40. They work very well BUT they hurt my shins because they're very stiff. They can be worn when climbing but they aren't very comfortable.

The most expensive, and I think BEST option, is the Hoffman (or similar) pac boots. They're MEANT to be worn when climbing. They do a great job of keeping your feet warm and dry, too. I'm not sure what they sell for now but that info is only a click away.

I wear wool socks, too. Those, I bought from Hoffman. They have a lifetime guarantee and cost about $20 per pair. Good wool socks are a benefit to your feet.

Btw, I've worked all over the US. The coldest was Great Bend, KS. -16 degrees F. The deepest snow was Big Bear, CA.

reppy007
10-15-2012, 10:00 PM
Im just wondering what you guys up north use...your the cold weather experts,me and Mr.Poot dont worry about cold weather much...if its 18degrees...23 degrees or 31 degrees its cold here..but it never last long....here we can have a winter that is considered hot...its nothing to wear a tank top in december or even january here ...not that we have six packs and muscles to show off.....cold,cold feet or cold cold hands..I dont know which is worse....but I believe it would be the feet.

T-Man
10-16-2012, 07:57 AM
Reppy, you just haven't lived till you have changed out an old box style cutout on a 40 foot pole set beside a rural road (before buckets and Osha rules) in the middle of the night with your flashlight tucked between your neck and shoulder in blizzard conditions with the line de-energized, wearing rubber gloves/sleeves and your fingers are so cold you can only imagine the nut in your fingers trying to put the bracket together holding the new cut out on the xarm. . . . .That my friend is line work!

OH did I mention your safety glasses coated over with frost and snow flakes distorting your vision?

lineman2010
10-16-2012, 01:12 PM
I just have a pair of slip over chore boats (sold rubber, prefer the ones with buckles, but have used the solid yellow ones also). I buy a pair in the spring for muddy conditions then and in the fall. Then when yet gets really cold I put them on over my normal work boats. I have worked neg. 10 with then over noninsulated steel toed redwings and a pair if cotton socks. The rubber stops all wind and they also give the air pocket to help keep the cold out. Best $25 dollars you will ever spend.

loodvig
10-18-2012, 07:00 AM
Reppy, you just haven't lived till you have changed out an old box style cutout on a 40 foot pole set beside a rural road (before buckets and Osha rules) in the middle of the night with your flashlight tucked between your neck and shoulder in blizzard conditions with the line de-energized, wearing rubber gloves/sleeves and your fingers are so cold you can only imagine the nut in your fingers trying to put the bracket together holding the new cut out on the xarm. . . . .That my friend is line work!

OH did I mention your safety glasses coated over with frost and snow flakes distorting your vision?

You left out the frozen snots and tears!
But you guys would do it too because your a LINEMAN too.

reppy007
10-18-2012, 07:16 AM
No doubt I could do it...Ive been in blizzards before,just not in Texas....nothing like cold wet feet.

lewy
10-18-2012, 05:00 PM

Been there, except why all the rubber on a de-energized line?

T-Man
10-18-2012, 08:09 PM
Without a Hold off clearance and therefore no grounds, before it was fashionable to have OSHA dictate how work was to be done, I put up plenty of #6 copper primary on a frosty winter night, and indeed wore rubber gloves and sleeves. This is no longer viable with the voltages higher, and the safety rules preventing working like this.

I just reread my first post and I used replacing a cutout for an example. Back when I climbed I still would have wore rubber gloves and sleeves, and the line would still be energized.

lewy
10-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Without a Hold off clearance and therefore no grounds, before it was fashionable to have OSHA dictate how work was to be done, I put up plenty of #6 copper primary on a frosty winter night, and indeed wore rubber gloves and sleeves. This is no longer viable with the voltages higher, and the safety rules preventing working like this.

I guess just different terminology, for us a line is just isolated until grounded, then it is de-energized. We are only permitted to work on de-energized lines or hot lines, but not isolated lines.