PDA

View Full Version : Tommorow

reppy007
10-27-2012, 08:35 PM
When I posted the story about the one man that suffered a severe flash in the cabinet,I came across that info from a friend,I knew the guy was hurt,so as I named him he told me another story....both guys had the first name,so thats why he started with the other story...oh well one told one to go....I will get the other story,I gave it a couple of weeks...now Ill get some facts about the other one....I will tell you what I do know about it....It concerned primary down,one or both lineman got on it....no grounding,they assumed it was dead,but it wasnt....no fatalities involved....At least one guy I know,and have known for some time,not saying that I knew him real well,but have worked with and around the guy....never seen a thing to complain about him..so I will get the facts and let you all know...

reppy007
10-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Here is what I was told,this happened some years ago....personally,Ive never heard a case like this one....these are utility hands.It turned out to be the brother of the lineman that I know,both were lineman....A two man crew gets a wire down call,it was either a two phase lateral or a three phase lateral....one slaps the downed wire with the back of his hand,must of had the $hit knocked out of him....from backfeed through a bank down the line...it exits through his heels....never gets reported to the company,not even others that work around these guys are told....later as time passes,the guy that touched the primary has problems with his leg/heel....he quits the company....The guy I talked to today said he never knew anything about it until he asked about the lineman involved...thats when the other lineman involved spilled the beans and told the story and all...I just have to ask myself why would anyone slap it backhanded....in the first place.

bones
10-28-2012, 02:42 PM
I just have to ask myself why would anyone slap it backhanded....in the first place.

In case it was energized you don't accidentally grab it and can't let go.

*shakes head*

I'll tell ya,

dat der utility logic:rolleyes:

reppy007
10-28-2012, 03:14 PM
Thats what I thought....in case....if that was the deal,why couldnt he think ....grounds ....or anything else but the move that he made.

Pootnaigle
10-28-2012, 03:35 PM
Ummmmmmm maybe he thunk he cud hit it between cycles

reppy007
10-28-2012, 03:53 PM
I guess it would be fair to say that he still has the gift of life.

rob8210
10-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Well, I'd say he does have a gift!

reppy007
10-28-2012, 07:18 PM
To me ,by slapping the wire with the back of your hand,indicates that theres a good doubt in your mind wether the wire is hot or not,so why even ....I GIVE UP :confused:

saftgeek
10-29-2012, 03:07 PM
A few years ago our coop decided to do a piece on each of our retired employees. They showcased one every month. They were very interesting, as the old-timers would talk about what the did "back in the day". From long days digging holes with a banjo, spoon and punchbar to the times when they worked for days on end to get the lights back on. Employee after employee, these stories were told... This one in particular made me sit up and take notice... Our retired Op Mgr actually told our Member Services gal this story... She actually called me over to proofread it before she put it into our newsletter, thank goodness!

He said when he was on the line, before all the safety rules and fancy equipment, guys would slap the phase with the back of their LEFT hand to see if it was energized. The reason: they didn't want to take a change on someone grabbing it and not being able to let go. He then went on to say if the guy was right-handed he didn't want to use the RIGHT hand in case it was hot and they got hurt. Seriously... how can you make this stuff up.

I sat there shaking my head. Needless to say, she didn't print that part.

Saftgeek-