PDA

View Full Version : Increasing comfort on poles

dustyn77
10-27-2012, 10:57 PM
When ever I'm working on a pole my leg is be locked like it's supposed to be, but it goes numb if I keep the same leg locked for a while. What would remedy this? Also how can I improve comfort on my hips when walking up in my belt?

Pootnaigle
10-28-2012, 01:38 AM
Umm t
ake up your safety a tad for the hips maybe try a good arch support to keep yer legs from goin numb

Hooker
10-29-2012, 07:20 PM
When ever I'm working on a pole my leg is be locked like it's supposed to be, but it goes numb if I keep the same leg locked for a while. What would remedy this? Also how can I improve comfort on my hips when walking up in my belt?

Change legs often. And if you want comfort, get a desk job. In all seriousness, some discomfort is part of the job. And like an old timer told me, get used to it.

HookinAintEasy
10-29-2012, 07:49 PM
try a gut strap or a back saver belt.. kick your foot out tap yer toes on the pole a few times, change plant foot often, works for me! but like said before its linework get used to working uncomfortable

Pootnaigle
10-29-2012, 09:09 PM
Ummmmmmmmmm hookin iz right bein uncomfortable is part of the deal suck it up n deal with it

dustyn77
11-01-2012, 06:32 PM
I bought some in soles for my boots which helped a lot, and I'm ordering a gut strap. Ya I guess you get used to the discomfort after awhile.

T-Man
11-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Know what you are going up to do, make all your moves count, accomplish what ya set out to do in
a timely order. And listen to what the other men said.

Put your discomfort in perspective, someone is having a tougher time than you are right now, they are over on the east coast.

jerry
11-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Welcome to the World of Linework! I am a RETIRED JL Lineman that came up in the era of BB (before buckets) and spent many days in the hooks. I would suggest first to buy a Good pair of climbing boots(Etc. WESCO's) and learn proper Climbing technique,such as Safety stap position. I taught Climbing for several years and always told the students that I can teach you proper climbing technique,but to become a confident climber takes a lot of practice,preferably in the field doing linework. Confidence and speed will come with experience,so will leaning how to perform linework from on hooks. I never liked Gut straps or back-savers, just listen and watch those old experienced lineman. Good Luck Jerry

gumbo
11-08-2012, 10:45 PM
When ever I'm working on a pole my leg is be locked like it's supposed to be, but it goes numb if I keep the same leg locked for a while. What would remedy this? Also how can I improve comfort on my hips when walking up in my belt?I served my apprenticeship in 1245 between 83 & 87. Climbing everything. Up till I was a 3rd step, my feet were numb after 5 minutes on every pole. One astute gentleman from 611 noticed me banging my feet on the pole andasked me were my feet hurting. I said hell yeah!! He berated me for not complaining and I told him no one likes a sniveller, didn't everybodies feet hurt like that?? He give me his hooks to wear on the next pole and my feet have never hurt me since. The secret??............no pads. I only run straps with extra holes to run zip ties thru to keep them right where I want them. The way the nerves run thru my legs, puts my feet to sleep when I wear pads on my hooks. True story. The hip thing........a lot of times that is from cinching your belt too tight. I have no hips, and I have no @ss, and my belt will fall off me if I stand with my legs together standing on the ground, yet with time, I learned to defy gravity and it stays on when I climb. It's all about confidence in your tools. Only time will give you that.

Shootertg
11-30-2012, 08:47 PM
I'm going through the same kind of problems. I've been working for just a little over a month. My hips were hurtin because I was wearing my belt too high and I've already got that taken care of, so that's good. My legs hurt still but I figure that will always be an issue. My biggest problem is saetying over things. I haven't been to any line school so all the climbing I've done has been on the job and I'm only aloud to climb when we work on line extensions, so I'm hoping that its just lack of practice. One of the older linemen told me to throw my belt in the garbage today. He gave me a double D loop belt and said he thought it would help, and I'm looking forward to tryi g it out.

Resto-master
12-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Rock your feet like a gas peddle back and forth...is one of a few.
Wear a set of coveralls so your belt wont slip off your ass as much....plus keeps clothes underneath clean
Learn to turn around in your hooks while belted over something and face your work straight on.
Learn what works for you .

None of this is easy but you want to be a lineman right? A bucket crane etc wont always be there and the work still has to get done.