PDA

View Full Version : cordless impact drill

bashlin
09-30-2005, 09:35 PM
just got in my new cordless impact drill. it's a 19.2 v, 1/2" drive, 220ft pds of torque, 2000rpm model. just wondering if anyone else uses one for breaking down old poles on the ground or frameing new poles on the ground. also has anyone tried drilling holes in poles with one, how does it work? should know by tomorrow when the battery is charged. if anyone has any experience with one or has any other useful ides it can be used for let me know.

Hemingray Insulators
09-30-2005, 09:41 PM
are you talking about dewaltcordless impact drill? I read about that one, suposedly that one will drill 16 holes in poles before the battery has got to be recharged.

bashlin
09-30-2005, 09:53 PM
similar to dewalt but it's a snap on. couldn't find pick on mine but this one is close
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=yes&tool=power&item_ID=64144&group_ID=16217&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Hemingray Insulators
09-30-2005, 10:00 PM
0h, I ain't a lineman quite yet (just a few more years, I'm in HS) but I did read about the dewalt drill in the last issue of "handline" which is put out by northwest lineman college, and I thought that may be what you were talking about.

bashlin
09-30-2005, 10:04 PM
i have never used one either, but i have heard of them being used lately by a few lineman. hope it's worth the money. if all else fails i won't have to use a 4-way any more to change my tires.

Sno10
09-30-2005, 10:27 PM
used 18 volt dewalts. I think we were getting maybe 6 to 8 holes out of the 18's for smaller distribution sticks. Not much help on the 19.2. Now we use these. bit more spendy though.
http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=27&catalogId=40027&langId=-1&productId=329963&mainHeader=Tools&categoryId=189329&mainCategoryId=362&parentProd=281126

bashlin
09-30-2005, 10:33 PM
damn, 28 volt is unreal, wished i asked now before i bought the other one. Sno10 do they work pretty good on breaking loose nuts and tightening them. how long does the battery last on a average use day. have you seen an attachment to drive ground rods with it also?

Sno10
09-30-2005, 11:32 PM
damn, 28 volt is unreal, wished i asked now before i bought the other one. Sno10 do they work pretty good on breaking loose nuts and tightening them. how long does the battery last on a average use day. have you seen an attachment to drive ground rods with it also?

The 28 volts will last a long time. The 28 is the best on the market these days in my opinion. Down fall on milwaukee is the price but I feel they are probably more duarable. Had used the 18 volt milwaukees. Had vehicle power point chargers for the 18's so batteries were never a problem. Always had charged batteries. Dewalt makes a fine product and the 19.2 you got should do about everyjob you need to do. 220 ft/lbs is tons of torque. Should have no problem wrecking out or framing a few poles. Rusted nuts and lags are a breeze. Alot quicker and easier than a crescent or a ratchet. Just carry a few extra batteries and should have no problem getting you through the day. Especially if you are doing pole for pole compared to the old fashion way. Have never really put them into the assembly line process like construction does such as framing many poles in one day or wrecking them out none stop. Worked for me though as far as going to work one pole. Then having to drive somewhere else to get to another and with the vehicle charger I never ran out of power. Haven't seen a ground rod driver for them but have used a hilti hammer drill for those and that is a sweet set up for driving ground rods.

CenterPointEX
06-19-2006, 08:29 PM
I think I need one of them... just after I get my cordless press

BigClive
06-20-2006, 10:24 AM
Just remember that battery voltage isn't everything. You can get soem great 24V tools and some shit ones too.

For my gay-boy narrow back work I just got myself a three ratio 18V Ryobi and think it's great. It bumps 2" holes through trunking (raceway?) with ease. The matching 18V jigsaw also makes short work of the trunking with plenty of stamina.

Squizzy
06-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Alot of tradesman over here have gone off Dewalt they have had problems with their batteries and also their chasis twisting. I have just bought a Hitachi 18V battery hammer drill and a Hitachi 18V impact wrench they both have the new Nickle Metal Hydride batteries that don't have or develop any charging memory. Had them for a couple of months now and they work great we use a two-stroke drill for drilling poles.....

BigClive
06-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Don't know how it is in other parts of the world, but in the UK DeWalt has been promoted so heavilly as a brand that the tools are prime targets for theft.

I specifically avoided DeWalt when choosing a drill.

Remember to get your DeWalt Branded work clothes. Only ten times the price of identical clothing with another brand name embroidered on it.....

wudwlkr
06-26-2006, 07:36 PM
DeWalt just recently came out with a 36 volt drill. Uses lithium-ion batteries instead of the ni-cads and isn't much bigger than my old 18 volt model. Reviews I've read are very impressive as is the price - almost $500.

tramp67
06-26-2006, 08:44 PM
I've used the Milwaukee 28volt for framing, tightening hardware with spring washers, and without. We use gas drills, once in a while end up with a contractor that has a hydraulic rattle gun set up for the digger hydraulics (don't use that one in the bucket, they never like putting dielectric oil in the diggers). The best is the rattle gun for framing. The battery impacts make lots of noise, but if you go behind them with a trusty wrench, especially on 3/4 hardware, you can usually get things a lot tighter by hand. But it's nice using the battery impact to get things snugged up most of the way. If your apprentice accidentally leaves the darned thing laying in the tall grass when he's done with it, you'll probably end up with a good laugh when the foreman finds out the impact wrench is a.w.o.l.!!! :D

DuFuss
06-29-2006, 09:58 PM
I've seen one used on the ground for framing. I don't remember it bending the bottom plate of a saddle pin. My hydraulic bucket wrench on the other hand will near split the wood.

hammer13
06-30-2006, 08:49 AM
anybody tried the 18v makitas with the 3.0ah batteries it's not too bad

hammer13
06-30-2006, 09:00 AM
I've seen one used on the ground for framing. I don't remember it bending the bottom plate of a saddle pin. My hydraulic bucket wrench on the other hand will near split the wood.your talkin hydraulics vs batteries no comparison hydraulics will win hands down most times but you may be somewhere where you can't get your hydraulic bucket .
what you going to do then???