PDA

View Full Version : Proper guying????

fkdanons3nse
02-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Just to be up front I am not a lineman, sorry if I offended anyone but thought you guys could help. I work for a company that collects data for windloading off of joint use utility poles. We need to know when a pole is:

unguyed line angle over 5 degrees
unguyed dead end
unguyed 3 phase slack span

Just wanted to know if anyone could tell me or point me in the right direction as to when these poles are supposed to be guyed, from what direction, and what pole should be guyed etc. etc. I appreciate any help, would make my day go a little smoother. Thanks in advance!!!

T-Man
02-12-2013, 06:57 PM
That data is controlled by area climate, construction standards and wire size. In areas like Illinois and Indiana they guy for higher wind load, in areas north they get tighter wire in cold weather and guy dead ends for that, in swamps they guy with different anchors. So to get an answer to your question you need to add the area you want to guy in. Look at the guying Bren has on his structures, much different than other areas.

fkdanons3nse
02-12-2013, 07:09 PM
I do apologize I meant to mention that I was in Florida and figured it differed from other states, thank you!

Lineman North Florida
02-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Just to be up front I am not a lineman, sorry if I offended anyone but thought you guys could help. I work for a company that collects data for windloading off of joint use utility poles. We need to know when a pole is:

unguyed line angle over 5 degrees
unguyed dead end
unguyed 3 phase slack span

Just wanted to know if anyone could tell me or point me in the right direction as to when these poles are supposed to be guyed, from what direction, and what pole should be guyed etc. etc. I appreciate any help, would make my day go a little smoother. Thanks in advance!!!

In a perfect world most of your scenarios would have down guys, problem is right of way is premium down here, not so much in rural areas but definately in city's and towns, it's been my experience the use of a slack span is usually because there is no way to guy a pull-off off of the main line pole, most dead ends will be guyed or they won't be straight long and the sag will be off, a 5 degree angle is pretty slight once you get up to around 15 degrees you get into guying, bare in mind all utility company's, co-op's and municipality's have different spec's, you need to consult the company whose property you are working on for theirs.

lewy
02-13-2013, 05:46 PM
If there's a corner we guy it. We also guy every 5th pole for storms. Like LNF said about slack spans. The only time we would not use a guy on a corner is with self supporting poles, but we don't have to many of them, and obviously we guy all dead ends

Pootnaigle
02-13-2013, 06:36 PM
UMmmmmmm soil condition mite oughta be figgered in with that there is prolly a difference in roky ground n sandy ground

bren guzzi
02-14-2013, 04:08 AM
There are ways around guying poles.

In urban areas to do away with guying poles we use steel terminal poles " concreted " in place. They are expensive but will take massive loads un guyed.
In New Zealand where it was all town work the normal poles are concrete and they use hard wood terminal poles in the same way as we used steel poles to do away with the need for guys.

Also if we are building a line and it requires a service to a house. You can block the pole under ground to increase the bearing area so eliminating the need for a guy..

Many ways to skin a cat

bluestreak
02-14-2013, 07:11 AM
Usually the guying we would use would be alright the problem is after we built a new line or upgraded an existing one is phone or most likely cable tv would come through and pull their stuff tighter than hell and not guy for it leaving a bunch of leaning poles. Even with standards and agreements there are always problems and our management never seemed to put heat on the other utilities to make it right, even if the top of the pole didn't go over some of the phone/catv gains are out of plumb a couple of feet.

Pootnaigle
02-14-2013, 04:55 PM
Ummmmm thats the only sag the phonies know they call it all ya kin get n one more click on the hoist

Bighorn Ape
02-15-2013, 09:26 PM
well, when the phonies only dare climb up 10ft, they gotta pull'er pretty tight to keep it outta the road!