PDA

View Full Version : Have you heard of this?

rob8210
02-15-2013, 06:13 AM
This past week while off to work I have been hearing a story of a young lineman that is getting sued by a former employer. This contractor has quite a ratty reputation so I am not surprised. The story goes something like this. The young fella hired on to this contractor , the snake cons the young fella into signing some kind of contract. A couple of years later the young fella quits and goes to work for another , much bigger contractor ( more work, better pay, union). Now what I am hearing the young fella is about to top out and is getting sued by this ratty contractor for costs of sending him to school, lost revenue, and who knows what else. Apparently its a huge headache for the young fella . I'm told he is becoming a dang good lineman too. What is this contractor trying to prove ?

Lineman North Florida
02-15-2013, 06:42 AM
There is a small municipality close to where I am and I have been told that they have a guy sign a contract before they send him to an outside school that states that if he quits and goes to another company within x number of years he will re-pay the cost of said training, I never heard of it anywhere else especially a contractor.

HookinAintEasy
02-15-2013, 07:32 AM
I got in with first energy right out if high school in 07 graduated in june started in August. Had to sign a paper that basically said i was there's for 5 years.. well i left in the spring of 08 to go to work for the contractors (dumb) here we are 6 years later and i just finished paying them pricks back:mad:

loodvig
02-15-2013, 08:09 AM
I have also heard of these contracts. What with the high cost of everything it's becoming common practice now.

thrasher
02-15-2013, 09:28 AM
We are a Union cooperative but if you enter the lineman apprentice program then you sign a contract that has two major clauses. (1) It is an "up-or-out" contract; in other words if you can't cut it in a reasonable time your out of the program; and if there are no other openings in the coop than your out of work. (2) If you successfully complete training and leave within 24 months afterwords you must re-imburse the coop for all outside training charges from the last 24 months. The re-imburse is only for bills the coop paid to someone else not for any internal charges such as wages while you were taking a class.

reppy007
02-15-2013, 11:36 AM
It used to be real common,signing a contract for 2 years ,5 years...A number of years ago there was a handful of lineman that would fly into California.Take a physical,pass a drug test and recieve a 5,000 dollar signing bonus and they got the money....and home they came....later I heard that the very same company had laid off some of the guys that stayed.

Redneck-Moto927
02-15-2013, 07:26 PM
I am trying to into the trade by either getting a job with a company like PG&E or going to line school. I came across this http://www.calnevjatc.org/templates/template4/?page=24 when doing research. They will put you through school for free, but you sign a contract saying that you will work for one of the contractors for 5 years. If you do not then you have to pay for the $10,000 or however much it is for tuition. Definitely not going to do that... I'll take my chances elsewhere.

duckhunter
02-15-2013, 08:50 PM
We have over 30 utilites involved in the program. I think they all require this.

Old Line Dog
02-15-2013, 09:27 PM
I can certainly understand it. Especially in this day and age.
It's sorta like a "Pre Nup" agreement.:cool:
"I" as a company...Pay for your training, after you get the training...

You Go And LEAVE My Company...
you OWE me for your training.

I can dig it.

EVERYTHING nowdays needs to be a "Contract".

There IS NO "Trust" any more...or "Loyalty".

rob8210
02-16-2013, 06:43 AM
I can agree to an extent. It seems this poor fella is getting sued for lost revenue too! I have been told he gave the guy a check for $12,000 for school fees , yet he only went to school once. But for the contractor to sue him for lost revenues as well?!? I am told the money is over $100,000. Heck of a way to treat a young guy that wants to get into the trade! I just hope the new young fellas will stop and ask questions when asked to sign any kind of a contract, before they sign. There really is nobody to look out for them , especially when dealing with underhanded contractors.

reppy007
02-16-2013, 07:35 AM
They always say to read the fine print...If the contractor was Pike,they might have done the youg kid a favor.

reppy007
02-16-2013, 12:02 PM
I can agree to an extent. It seems this poor fella is getting sued for lost revenue too! I have been told he gave the guy a check for $12,000 for school fees , yet he only went to school once. But for the contractor to sue him for lost revenues as well?!? I am told the money is over $100,000. Heck of a way to treat a young guy that wants to get into the trade! I just hope the new young fellas will stop and ask questions when asked to sign any kind of a contract, before they sign. There really is nobody to look out for them , especially when dealing with underhanded contractors.

I see your point Rob....ever hear of anyone sueing the CEO'S for lost revenue...I bet not.