Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jib work

Default Jib work

Featured Sponsor

While on vacation down south I noticed a crew moving phases with there piece of crap Altec jib, while they had the phase in there jib they also wrapped the winch around it. Can anyone explain why they would short out the jib with the winch rope? The phase was in the jib without rubber which in itself is not a problem, but I cannot figure out what the winch was for. Also why would anyone use tie wire today with new and better mechanical clamps?

Hmmm, I bet that piece of crap Altec jib worked better than no jib. I'm guessing the company never gave them a choice on which boom they wanted. Can't answer the jib question, I wasn't there. Same as the boom option, I'd guess the company never gave them the option of preformed ties.

The practice we used was to use a wire trap on the end of the fully extended jib that was tested at the same time the booms {every 6 months} always trying to to push into the angle if there was one. If you couldn't push into the angle we would use the winch with a link stick to pull the conductor into the wire trap for security. Also kept an eye on the condition of the samson braid winch line for wear, got into a real good argument with the engineer in the transportation dept, he wanted to end for end the ropes when the showed wear explained to the smart M F that I didn't want to hide a bad piece of rope on the drum to suprise me, besides always nice to have a good pull rope in my personal pick up! As for wire ties that's just about all we used until we started to use Hendrix vice tops, a lot of times the tie might break if a tree hit the line but it wouldn't break arms all depends on the application I guess.

Blog Entries

We use what the employer provides. And what the employer provides are 15 years old trucks that are rolling rust buckets. As far as using tie wire instead of what you call mechanical, I've been using tie wire 40 years, you expect me to change now....... Lol

Btw, when all the outside crews rolled in and assisted during Sandy, we were awarded a prestigious award, we won the prize for best junk vehicles on the road!!!!! I guess there's something to be said for being one of the largest utilities in the nation...... First Energy is pitiful gentlemen......
    Last edited by Orgnizdlbr; 02-28-2013 at 07:30 PM.
    "It is not the critic who counts:The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena" Teddy Roosevelt

Ummmm If By down south you men you were in entergys territory then I promise the crews have absolutely no input into what type of trucks or booms they get zMost of em are just proud they aint walking

I realize you have to use what you are supplied, that was more my personal opinion about Altec jibs. The part I don't understand is why the winch was attached to the line(no link stick which is not required with a good jib), the jib was facing up there was no way that wire was falling up and with Altec jibs there is no way to grab the wire with the jib facing down unlike a proper jib. Also this was a straight line pole. Regarding mechanical clamps on insulators, this is not that new and they are so much faster, safer and easier than using tie wire or performs.

We use pre-formed ties and tie wire and can put on one about as fast as the other, used to make up hot ties for installing and removing with sticks, don't see them made up anymore around here, never seen any pre-formed ties for copper wire and there is plenty of that down here in the south, as for them sorry Altec jibs that's pretty much all we have had for the last 25 years on our distribution buckets and we have moved a ton of wire with them, don't know how we managed but we did, I remember laying in hard angles with a hot hoist before we ever got a jib so like someone said earlier it sure beats no jib at all. Everybody doesn't do linework the same it's a big world and there is no telling what you will see in your travels. Charlie.
    Last edited by Lineman North Florida; 03-01-2013 at 06:24 AM.

I guess it's what the co. Perfers!! We're I work we use wrap locks on everything co 2 acsr to 477
    That's on straight line poles on slight angle poles they want us to use rods and ties

I myself have an altec now this truck is 1 year old aa55e to be exact all power jib I personnaly love my truck the rest are terex but they are older I don't know which will get next bid

I wish we used all wraps, bolted, or clamp top insulators instead of rod and ties but I guess they got there reason

Since I started over 20 years ago we always had fully hydraulic jibs. The first time I got in a Altec about 10 years ago I thought the jib was broken because it had such a poor range of motion, but if that is all you have ever used you would not know what you are missing. This is secondary to my original post, but I guess this crew is just an isolated instance of where they also attached and tightened up the the winch, which I could see no reason for as it defeated the purpose of an insulted jib. Lastly joe b the only reason I could see your company not wanting the insulators with the clamps is because they are more expensive to purchase even though they are safer, easier faster especially if you have to use sticks.

Featured Sponsorr

I cant remember all the things Ive seen people do with jibs....they are great and useful/time savers.....but they do have limits,I want to say that a 75 kva was the biggest transformer you could hang with one....but there are guys out there that will try hanging a 167kva,pulling a pole over,pulling things sideways/ect....might add pulling a butt.....