Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Default is school necessary for a lineman job

Featured Sponsor

i am enrolled in the sltc program in ga this may. i just got off the phone with a guy that does underground and i could get a ride with him. he told me that going to that school is a mistake. he said that underground is where its at. just seein if i could get some advice that takin a 20000 dollar student loan for this school is the right thing to do. any advice would be appreciated thanx

Default Just an opinion

Quote Originally Posted by goose95 View Post
    i am enrolled in the sltc program in ga this may. i just got off the phone with a guy that does underground and i could get a ride with him. he told me that going to that school is a mistake. he said that underground is where its at. just seein if i could get some advice that takin a 20000 dollar student loan for this school is the right thing to do. any advice would be appreciated thanx
    I cannot speak for the quality or worth of SLTC, but I can speak about linework. There is so much more to linework than just underground. Regardless of where or how you get your foot in the door, training is the key to being a quality worker. If your aspirations are to do no more than underground then that guy could be your ticket. However, if you are wanting to learn a trade that can take you from coast to coast and everywhere between doing all sorts of work, then I would suggest looking at the linework trade. Distribution, transmission, underground, overhead, every aspect of the trade from setting meters to tying in circuits at the switchyard and more are what makes a lineman a lineman. It is a multi-faceted job that you cannot learn in a one dimensional atmosphere such as a company that just installs underground.

Just my opinion, but good luck with whatever you decide. There are contractors and utilities that may hire you without the school, but I am sure that school will improve your chances of landing a quality job that much sooner. 20 grand is a large chunk of change, but if it helps you attain your goal and provides you with a lifetime career that you can be proud of and enjoy then it is a small price to pay.
    Take only what you earn, give only what you can, learn to respect yourself before you can expect to respect anything or anyone else.

Underground is more important now than it use to be, but the O.H. isn't going anywhere, too expensive to convert existing as well as building compared to U.G. If you are going to just do U.G. you better learn how to work with lead, that is the only part of the U.G. around here that a lineman cant work on.

Quote Originally Posted by goose95 View Post
    This is just my 2 cents

I can say this all of our apps. Go to sltc before they ever get in to the crew for the most part this school is by far one of the more technical schools out there, I have worked all aspects of this trade

1 transmission/ pretty much go anywhere and everywhere make a lot of money lots of work
    2 distribution/ same as up top / also not everybody can do this
    3 substation/ good work not near as much as above just cause a lot does most subs in house
    4 underground/ it is great work but just remember there is a lot of people doing underground work one reason it's not as hazardous day in and day out

This school is the first step into a life change full of opportunities it teaches responsibilities, communication between men, it puts u in a different category as far as starting an apprenticeship school which I highly suggest because the work force is a lot younger men then what it use to be when u had a 15 to 25 year man teaching u the tricks of the trade were now its a 1 to 15 year man teaching u the trade BIG DIFFERNCE not knocking the young guns cause I'm a young jy I was just bless to come up under the old school guys!!!!!!!!!!

There is more trans/dist. Work than u can shake a stick at and it's going to get to better and better because utilities have put off work for years and years and now it's coming to a point were it has to be rebuilt all across the country and believe me by the time our generation gets a lot of it rebuilt there will still be a lot of **** out there that is still standing and waiting for the next generation to build not counting what we build in the next 30 years

Just by my view yeah u will probably stay busy doing underground/ but u will have a lot more options and make a heck of a lot more money going to this school

Just remember that storms ain't going nowhere and ur willing to hit the road for 2 to 3 weeks here and there off and on through the year u will make more money in 5 to 6 months than utility/coop/muni. Hands Will in 2 to 3 years depending on we're u go and how much u want to work

If u just look at the weather channel almost every week they are talking about power outages and guess what them guys putting it back up are the ones doing all aspects of the job "lineman"

Good luck on whatever decision u make and whatever u do make sure to put safety as ur no.1 goal for each and every day

As a person who got training on the job then had school,I would say take school first.Some of the older guys used to do things that were good and right without knowing why.In addition,not that it is all,but having a piece of paper that says what you have learned can make the difference if you are looking to move up the ladder.

6. Default

thanx for the info guys, im 28 and have been in dirt work (grading) all my life,grew up in it. the one thing i have got to say is i like how everyone in this trade helps everyone else out. im used to people saying well u better learn and no one wants to teach you. i appreciate the info i think school is the right thing cant wait to start a new career thanx

Before you invest $20,000.00 in school you might want to get with someone who works in the industry and have them work with you a little on climbing and heights, I have seen quite a few wash out because of the climbing and that's a lot of money to shell out if your not sure, it's not for everyone. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Lineman North Florida View Post
    Before you invest $20,000.00 in school you might want to get with someone who works in the industry and have them work with you a little on climbing and heights, I have seen quite a few wash out because of the climbing and that's a lot of money to shell out if your not sure, it's not for everyone. Good luck.
    That is so true...20,000.00 spent only to find out that heights become an issue isnt the road Id want to see anyone take....glad mine was free.

9. Default

when the economy took a sh## i had my own biusness same old story as everyone else lost it all so i worked putting solar up for 5 years. ive hung off the side of buildings 400 feet in the air to run wire, i think I'm pretty ok with heights they dont bother me. and i have spent a year trying to get on with pike or tecco or fpl or anyone for that matter. no luck and everyone has said go to this school. and its only 12000 grand for school but still goto pay thoose 15 wks of bills that im gone(will be close to 20000 all said and done). 2 kids still goto eat u know if anyone knows how to get on without school im all ears but most companies have said they want schooling.

10. Default

Featured Sponsorr

and ive had my class a cdl for 10 years just need a job